Masters in Public Health in USA: A Comprehensive Course Guide
Masters in Public Health (MPH) in USA is a 1 to 2 year degree offered with various specializations such as epidemiology, microbial diseases, health policy, etc. Approximately 3.3% of international students are pursuing public health degree from the USA universities. Among them, over 2.9% are from India. Around 17,000 students take admission in MPH in USA every year.
- Annual tuition fees for Masters in Public Health in USA is around 11,000 USD to 57,000 USD.
- Students are required to have a bachelors degree along with GRE scores to apply for MPH in USA universities.
- Public Health graduate earns approximately 90,000 USD per annum in USA
Why Study Masters in Public Health in USA?
- Once the students complete their post-graduation in public health, they can earn 45500 USD to 53800 USD annually on average.
- According to the Labour Statistics of the US, the growth rate in this sector will be increased by 5%-25% by the year 2024.
- The medical universities in the USA serve the best educational services to the students. Hence, over the years, the USA becomes the prime attraction to the readers.
- The academic standards of the USA have been growing vigorously. Hence, both domestic and international students get the opportunity to make a wonderful career.
- Scholars can choose their preferable MS degree from 2000 varieties of public health programs.
Top Universities for Masters Public Health in USA
Following are the top-ranking universities of the USA offering Masters in Public Health program, according to THE World University Ranking of 2020:
|THE Ranking 2020||University||Program Offered and Duration||Total Program Fees (in USD)|
MPH 45 credit;
MPH 65 credit
|8||Yale University||Chronic Disease Epidemiology; Microbial Diseases; Health Policy etc: 2 years||95,680|
|9||University of Chicago||MS in Public Health Sciences for Clinical Professionals; 2 years||99,468|
|11||University of Pennsylvania (UPenn)||Global Health; Environmental Health; 2 years||63,364|
|12||Johns Hopkins University||MPH: 11 months||69,720|
|13||University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley)||MPH: 2 years||22,884|
|16||Columbia University||MPH: 2 years||79,576|
|17||University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)||MPH in Biostatistics; Community Health Sciences; Epidemiology; etc: 2 years||64,748|
|19||Cornell University||MPH in Infectious Disease Epidemiology; Food Systems & Health: 2 years||76,708|
|21||University of Michigan – Ann Arbor||MPH in Hospital & Molecular Epidemiology; Global Health Epidemiology: 2 years||76,700|
Course Details of Masters in Public Health in USA
Masters in Public Health in USA is a part of the healthcare management program aimed at imparting advanced knowledge and multidisciplinary training in solving health problems. Council on Education in Public Health (CEPH) regulates the education of this program in the USA.
Some of the specializations you will study in the USA while pursuing an MPH degree are:
- Social and Behavioural Determinants of Health
- Management Sciences
- Public Health Problem Solving
- Environmental Health
- Biological Sciences
- Public Health Policy
Admission Process of Masters in Public Health in USA
Students with a 3-year bachelors degree preferably in the medical field can apply for MPH in USA. GRE tests scores are also a compulsory requirement in many universities.
How to Apply for MPH in USA
To apply for USA universities, first of all, go to the university’s website and fill the online application form as instructed. Then, download the application form and sent it to the university’s address along with required documents either via mail or post.
Eligibility for MPH in USA Admission
- 3-year bachelors degree from a recognized institute
- 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale or 83% at the undergraduate level
- Minimum one year course in calculus, algebra, general or human biology (depends upon specialization and university)
- GRE test score (varies with the university)
- Proof of English proficiency
Documents Required for MPH in USA Admissions
- Official transcripts of a bachelors degree and all other institutes previously attended
- English translation of non-English transcripts by an accredited agency
- Credit by credit evaluation of foreign transcripts by a university-approved authority
- Two to five letters of recommendation depending on the university.
- Updated Resume
- Objectives of doing Masters in Public Health in USA stated in an SOP, LOI, or other supporting documents
- Work experience
English Language Proficiency for International Students
If you are from a country where English was not the primary language, then you must submit IELTS, TOEFL or other equivalent test scores to demonstrate proficiency in the same. Minimum scores needed for tests required to study in USA are:
- IELTS: 6.5 to 7.0
- TOEFL (iBT): 90 to 100
Cost of Studying Masters in Public Health in USA
Pursuing a masters in public health in USA can cost you like crazy. The overall expense will include application fees, student visa fees, tuition fees, and cost of living in the USA. Detailed below are some of these major expenses.
The money you will be spending on your applications, exams and other processes before leaving for the USA are a part of your pre-departure or pre-arrival expense.
|Expense item||Cost estimate in USD|
|Flight fare (one-way)||$700|
|Student Visa Fee||$170|
Tuition Fees for Masters in Public Health in USA
Given below is a graphical image comparing the tuition fees for pursuing the program at the popular universities in USA.
Cost of living in the USA
The estimated standard of living in the USA is 10,000 USD to 12,000 USD in a year. Hence, the monthly spending is 800 USD to 1000 USD. The expenses vary based on room rent, food habits. Apart from this, the transportation cost, the cost of entertainment and clothing are the same for everybody.
|Types of expenditures||Cost in USD (Annual)|
|Hostels or room rent||$5000-$7000|
|Cost of food||$2500|
Funding for Masters in Public Health in USA
If you have a sharp academic background, then you do not need to bear the expensive masters cost by opting for a scholarship program. Masters in Public Health in USA along with scholarships or loans have numerous benefits, which are discussed in the following.
Scholarships for Masters in Public Health in USA
Following are some of the scholarships in UK for international students pursuing a Masters in Public Health program:
|Scholarship||Awarding Institute||Amount (in USD)|
|YSHP Scholarship||Yale University||Varies|
|School of Social Service Administration Scholarship||University of Chicago||Tuition fee waiver|
|Paul D. Coverdell Fellows Program||University of Pennsylvania||50% tuition fee waiver|
|Sommer Scholars Program||John Hopkins University||100% tuition fee waiver|
|Reed Frost Scholarship||John Hopkins University||20,000 to 30,000|
|Endowed Student Funding||John Hopkins University||5,000|
To know more about scholarships in USA, click here
Loans Available for International Students
Education loans are the most reliable source of arranging financial funds for studying MS from the USA. However, the loan takers need to meet the financial eligibility criteria. They need to confirm the bank balance of their parents, the source of loan repayment, guarantor, ITR and financial credibility. Nowadays, international students can apply to study loans without a cosigner.
- When you are going to apply for a study loan, you should submit the KYC documents and the other financial proofs. In addition, the banks or the financial institutions also ask for the exam scores, VISA application, admission application from the University, acceptance letter by the University and collateral documents.
- The loan application process is followed by the official like immigration records, professionals and academic certificates and legal verification (For the applicants of J1, F1 and H1B VISA).
Click here to learn more about the loans available to international students in USA
Scope of Masters in Public Health in USA
The USA government generally issues 5 years tenured visa for International students. On the other hand, the MPH in USA can be completed within 2 years. Therefore, the fellows will get ample time to boost up their career by staying over in the country for the rest of the years.
In 2018, most of the MS students got successful placement in psychiatry, internal medicine and paediatrics departments. Based on the research report, approximately 31.4% doctors get success in their early career, more especially once they complete their masters.
|Job types||Annual Salary (in USD)|
|Public Health Analyst||95,400|
|Public Health Specialist||76,000|
|Health and Safety Engineer||112,000|
Some of the highly paid organizations of the USA apart from health care institutions are Kaiser Permanente, Methodist Healthcare, Fairview Hospital, and Johnson & Johnson. Their average pay-scale structure is high, such as $270K, $233K, $363K, and $280K respectively.
It can be inferred that the demand for physicians and surgeons across the USA will be increased at least by 7% within the year 2028. Considering the other features and benefits, it can be said that Masters in Public Health from the USA over the other countries is ideal to opt. Once the aspirants complete their degree, they can flourish their career path in broad domains in the future.
Ques. Name some of the top universities for MPH in USA.
Ans. Harvard University, University of Chicago, Yale University, University of Pennsylvania and University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) are some of the popular universities offering Masters in Public Health in USA.
Ques. What is the tuition fees for Masters in Public Health in USA?
Ans. The annual tuition fees of top universities offering Masters in Public Health in USA ranges between 11,400 USD to 57,000 USD. UC Berkeley charges the lowest tuition fees of 11,442 USD per year.
Ques. Can I apply for Masters in Public Health in USA without GRE test scores?
Ans. Most of the top universities for MPH in USA require submission of GRE test scores for admission. However, some universities like Baylor University and Tufts University also accepts students without GRE test scores.
Ques. What is the salary of graduates with a degree in Masters in Public Health in USA?
Ans. Average salary of Masters in Public Health graduates in USA is 90,000 USD per annum. A healthcare assistant can earn up to 637,000 USD per annum.