Masters of Science in Data Analytics in the USA: Universities, Scope, Cost and Benefits
MS Data Analytics in USA has been like a craze for most of the students in the recent years, with an entry level pay scale of around 65.7 Lakhs INR every year. The placement records for MS in Data Analytics in USA says that around 95% graduates are employed post completion of the degree.
MS in Data Analytics in the USA is a 1-2 years course depending on the university you choose.
The field of information driven by Science is now attracting individuals from a wide range of specialized fields like computational and mathematical foundations.
An ongoing IBM study has even revealed that there will be a quick development in Data Analytics occupations by 2020, with 2.7 million new Data Scientist and Analytics employments opening each year.
Why Study MS Data Analytics in the USA?
- MS in Data Science in the USA is a very fluid course as the students have the option to transfer their credits.
- The USA has a diverse environment as there are around 4.6 million international students including 1.8 million from India itself.
- As per the recent study by Research and Development Statistics report, the USA spent a huge amount of its GDP on R&D especially in data analysis.
- There are many scholarships available for international students in the USAwhich cover most of their tuition fees.
- Many colleges are collaborated with Transferwise for fee payments which make the process easy and hassle free.
- Top recruiting companies: Google, Wipro, Amazon, HCL Technologies, Ebay, Facebook and many more.
- Universities in the USA are among the top 1% of all the universities in the globe as per QS world ranking list..
- The USA welcomes international students too, as there are about more than 1,000,000 international students.
- Nearly 5% of the students admitted in higher education in the USA are international students as per the recent study by intenationalstudents.com.
- The US ranks 27th in the world in healthcare and education.
|Course||Master of Science (Post Graduation)|
|Eligibility||Bachelor&rsquos degree with minimum of 3 GPA on the scale of 4 GPA|
Must have completed one course on respective topics in the last 3 years: Calculus, Statistics, and Computer programming (JAVA, C++)
|Entrance Exam (Average Score)||GRE :299, TOEFL: 78, IELTS: 6.5, GMAT: 500|
|Exam Type||Semester Wise|
|Course Duration||1-2 years|
|Course Fees||8-32 Lakhs/Year|
|Courses Types||Full time|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Amazon, Google, Facebook, Wipro, HCL Technologies, Ebay, etc.|
|Starting salaries offered||Around 65.7 LPA|
Top Universities offering MS in Data Analytics in the USA
Mentioned below are some of the top universities providing MS in Data Analytics in USAand they are among the world’s top universities:
|Name of the University||Rankings||Fees (Yearly)h||Durationh|
|University of Chicago||#10||7.10 Lakhs||1-1.5 Years|
|Yeshiva University||#359||23.2 Lakhs||1 Year|
|Clark University||#531-540||20.1 Lakhs||1 Year|
|Clarkson University||#601-650||25.1 Lakhs||1 Year|
|Louisiana State University||#651-700||27.19 Lakhs||1 Year|
|Georgia State University||#701-750||31.9 Lakhs||1 Year|
|University of Central Florida||#701-750||25.7 Lakhs||1.5 Years|
|George Mason University||#801-1000||18.7 Lakhs||1.5-2 Years|
|Appalachian State University||#1417||13 Lakhs||1 Year|
|Rowan University||#1420||10.7 Lakhs||1.5-2 years|
|Shepherd University||#2093||8.8 Lakhs||1.5-2 years|
Apart from these universities that stand in the world rankings, additionally there are some other universities in the USA offering the program. These are as follows:
|University Name||Core Courses within the Program|
|Northeastern University||Applied Statistics|
Practical MAchine Learning
|Cornell University||Statistical Analysis|
|Drew University||Applied Regression|
Financial Quantitative Analysis
Large Data Analysis
|University of Indianapolis||Statistics|
Applied Data Mining
|University of Illinois at Urbana &ndash Champaign||Big Data|
|University of Notre Dame||Business Problem Solving|
Data Analysis with Python
|Boston University||Data Visualization|
Data Processing with Python
|Brandeis University||Analyzing Data|
Supply Chain Analytics
Financial Risk Management
MS Data Analytics in USA: What is it About?
MS in Data Analytics is a 1-2 year long degree mostly offered on-campus to international students. There are certain core subjects that all the students are required to study. Along with these are certain additional/elective courses that students can choose from. Some of the core subjects as per universities are tabulated below:
|University Name||Core Subjects|
|University of Chicago||Research Design for Business Application|
Time series analysis
Data Mining Principles
|Louisiana State University||Big Data Landscapes|
Introduction to HADOOP
Internet of Things
|Clark University||Python Programing|
Data Management in IT
Data Mining with Splunk
Applied Machine Learning
|Clarkson University||Big Data Processing|
Strategic Project Management
|Georgia State University||Data Programing for Analytics|
Statistical Foundation for Analytics
|University of Central Florida||Machine Learning|
Parallel and Distributed Database
|George Mason University||Big Data to Information|
Principles of Data Management
|Appalachian State University||Statistical Foundation|
Big Data HADOOP
|Rowan University||Visual Analytics|
Design and Analysis of the Experiments
|Shepherd University||Data Mining|
MS Data Analytics in USA: Admissions
International students planning to study abroad are required to submit their online graduate applications along with additional documents. They are also required to submit scores of various tests required to study in the USA.
MS Data Analytics in USA: Eligibility Criteria
- English Proficiency Requirement: IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, marks vary from university to university, with a minimum IELTS score of 6.5, TOEFL score of 85-90.
- Entrance Examination: GRE or GMAT
- On the off chance that you are applying for MS in Data Analytics in the USA, you need to have a relevant bachelor’s degree from the recognized university with a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the scale of 4.0 GPA.
- The percentile equivalent of this is 83-86% and Grade B is the grade equivalent.
- The CGPA 10-points scale equivalent is 7-7.4.
- Letter of Recommendation: 2-3 LORs, preferably academic are required as additional documents
Gateway to the USA: Student Visa
The US Government gives a chance to every Indian student to pursue their study in the USA however there is an essential prerequisite too, you'll need to acquire a student visa first. The visa you need will rely upon your age and the kind of study you wish to seek in the US. Here's an overview of the kinds of study visas and their application prerequisites:
There are 3 types of student visa available for the overseas student:
- F1 Student VISA: to learn at a licensed US school or college or to consider English at an English language Institute.
- J Exchange Student Visa: Applicable for the students applying for the exchange studies scheme, which includes both school as well as university students.
- M Student VISA: For non-academic or vocational training purposes.
As a first step, you should initially apply for the VISA and need to be acknowledged by a US school or college that is affirmed by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). When acknowledged, you will receive a Form I-20 from the Institution’s International Students Office, which is a paper record of your data in the database called the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
- A valid Passport.
- Acknowledged certificate from SEVIS along with I-20 form.
- Receipt of the payment for applying in SEVIS.
- Non- Immigrant VISA application along with form DS-160 confirmation page.
- Your recent photographs in the required format.
- Academic Preparation Documents.
- Evidence that you have sufficient funds from your sponsor to sustain in the USA, such as bank details or you have to show that you are enrolled in a scholarship program.
MS Data Analytics in USA: Cost of Study
Described below is the detailed information about the university fees as well as the average yearly living cost of an individual in the USA. Sections below also brief your expenses before leaving for USA.
Pre- Arrival Expenses
Given below are the expenses of an individual before arriving to the USA, which includes exam cost and VISA cost:
|GMAT Fees||18000 INR|
|GRE Fees||15000 INR|
|TOEFL Fees||12000-18250 INR|
|Paper Based Examinaton||13000 INR|
|VISA application cost||14600 INR|
Cost of Living in the USA
Living in the USA is a huge task for an overseas student as it is quite expensive relatively to other countries, but again the USA has the top universities in the globe and finding affordable stay is also not at all impossible, below are the average monthly cost of different expenditures made by the students:
|Rent of the Apartment (Off Campus)||73000-1,00,000 INR|
|On-Campus rent||60,000-70000 INR|
|Cost of meals||10000 INR|
|Personal Expenses||29000 INR|
|Health Insurance||36500 INR|
Note: The cost of living in the USA will depend on your lifestyle and accommodation options.
The image below compares the tuition and cost of living in various universities in USA:
So, the cost of studying MS in Data Analytics varies from 7.10 Lakhs/ year in University of Chicago to 31.9 Lakhs/ year in Georgia State University. Along with this, the overall living cost yearly goes up to another 19-20 Lakhs depending on the living style of an individual, which takes the cost to about 30-50 Lakhs/ year.
Scholarships for International Students in USA
Your MS Data Analytics degree will cost you anywhere around 50 LPA including your accommodation and other costs. This can burn a huge hole in your pocket. Funding available for international students in the USA is of two forms, Scholarships and loans. Some of the scholarships available to international students are as follows:
- Go Clean Scholarship: The Go Clean scholarship is available to all the students applying for a master’s degree in the USA.
Scholarship Amount: 2,48,500 INR, applied only on tuition fees and is available for only one time.
- Brokerfish International Scholarships: Brokerfish basically provides financial aid to all overseas students to save money during their academic year and help to achieve success.
Scholarship Amount: 71,000 INR, applied only on tuition fees.
- Inlaks Scholarships: Available only for University students from India, Inlaks scholarshiphas two types of scholarship programs- University programs and Specific courses. Available for top US universities only.
Scholarship amount: 71,00,000 INR, applicable for one time only and is applicable on tuition fees, living cost and travel expenses.
- Global Study Awards: Provided by ISIC Association (International Student Identity Card). Its main aim is to encourage young minds in the field of science and technologies. It is applicable to Indian students selected in the top USA institutes.
Scholarship Amount: 9,11,300 INR, applicable on tuition fees and travel expenses for one time only.
- Central Sector Scheme of National Overseas Scholarships: this scheme is available for a few selected master’s course and PhD courses in the top US universities.
Scholarship Amount: 23,99,800 INR, it is a yearly based scholarship scheme available for tuition fees, living cost, travel expenses and health expenses.
Didn’t get any scholarships or loans for studying in USA?
Students are permitted to work as long as 20 hours a week, with extra nominal overtime depending on the job being done. The sort of occupation will rely upon the university educational plan, alongside a student's work experience, foundation, aptitude, English capabilities and individual desire.
The most lucrative activity as an intern could be of a gentleman type as an advisory counsellor in a bank and can be paid over 73 LPA per year yet you need understanding and aptitudes along with that, your English-speaking ability should be excellent.
MS Data Analytics in USA: Salaries
Payscale reports that the entry level data analyst with a masters degree gets an average pay of about 65.7 LPA. Following two to four years at work, you can expect a normal compensation of about 73 LPA.
|Designations||Average Salary (in LPA)|
|Director of Analytics||107.17|
|Information Security Manager||82.95|
|Machine Learning Engineer||83.30|
A senior data scientist or information security manager with around six years of experience gets a more significant pay of about 81.6LPA. Yet a specialization like data architect can make the compensation past the 85 LPA mark.
Post Study Work Permit, Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a one-year work and stay-back license given to the international studentson fulfilment of a degree program in the US. There are two kinds of OPT – one which can be utilized during one's studies for example Pre-Completion OPT, and another which begins subsequently after finishing one's study for example Post-Completion OPT.
The American economy is extended by 2.3% in 2017 as indicated by the figures given by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO). The US economy expanded 3.5% in the third quarter of 2018 followed by 4.2% in the second quarter of 2018, which is the most elevated figure since the third quarter of 2014.
The U.S. economy included 148,000 occupations in the most recent month of 2017, while the joblessness rate stayed at 4.1 percent as per the information given by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Overall, 2.11 million occupations were included 2017. This suggests that pursuing a degree from this developed country will pay you back with least chances of being unemployed and landing you with cushy median salaries.
Ques. Is a mathematics background is important to opt for MS in Data analytics in the USA?
Ans. Yes, Mathematical background especially statistics, probability and linear algebra are the most important topics to be considered.
Ques. Is online or distance learning for MS in data Analytics in the US available?
Ans. No, there is only a full time option available for this particular course. Applicants are required to study on-campus full-time programs for MS Data Analytics in USA.
Ques. What is the overall cost of Studying MS in data Analytics in the USA?
Ans. Overall cost includes the tuition fees as well as the accommodation cost which varies from the amount of 30-50 Lakhs per year.
Ques. What is the eligibility for pursuing MS Data Analytics in USA?
Ans. International students are required to have a bachelor's degree with 83-86% score (B grade) in relevant fields, GMAT/GRE score, and IELTS/TOEFL score are the minimum requirements for admissions in MS data analytics in USA.