MS in Mechanical Engineering is USA is a full-time program which takes 2 years to complete. The mode of education can be online or on-campus. Some universities in USA also offer a 1 to 2 year MEng in Mechanical Engineering.
- Total program fees of MS in Mechanical Engineering in USA ranges between 18,000 USD to 100,000 USD.
- A 4-year bachelors degree and a GRE score is required for admission in universities offering Masters in Mechanical Engineering in USA.
- Average salary of a mechanical engineer in USA is 81,900 USD per annum.
Why Study Mechanical Engineering in the USA?
Following are some of the reasons for pursuing MS in Mechanical Engineering in USA:
- Job growth for mechanical engineers in the USA is projected to be 4% till 2028 which is equivalent to the country’s average growth rate.
- 12,800 new jobs are expected to b created for mechanical engineers in the USA from 2018 to 2028.
- Across various countries of the world, mechanical engineers in the USA are third highest-paid with an annual salary of 80,000 USD per annum.
- Michigan and California are the highest employing cities in USA for mechanical engineers.
- However, highest paying cities are Michigan, Wisconsin and New Hampshire.
Top Universities in USA for MS in Mechanical Engineering
The universities of the USA have been very instrumental in nurturing the students to become successful. It is dwelling to most of the topmost universities of the world and with MIT topping the list. Let us see the details of the universities and their duration and fees:
|QS Ranking 2020||University||Program Offered||Annual Tuition Fees||Brochure|
|1||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||MS Mechanical Engineering; 2 years||109,664||Brochure|
|2||Stanford University||MS Mechanical Engineering; 2 years||69,674||Brochure|
|6||University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley)||
MEng Mechanical Engineering; 2 years
|10||University of Michigan – Ann Arbor||MS Mechanical Engineering; 2 years||51,972||Brochure|
|13||Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech)||MS Mechanical Engineering; 1 year||18,000||Brochure|
|17||California Institute of Technology (Caltech)||MS Mechanical Engineering; 2 years||121,866||Brochure|
MS Mechanical Engineering; 2 years
Professional Masters in Mechanical Engineering; 1 year
|26||University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)||MS Mechanical Engineering; 2 years||63,898||Brochure|
MEng Mechanical Engineering: 1 year;
MS Mechanical Engineering: 2 years
|38||Northwestern University||MS Mechanical Engineering: 1 year||54,559||Brochure|
Admission Process of MS in Mechanical Engineering in USA
Most of the universities require a 4-year undergraduate degree in science or engineering for admission in MS in Mechanical Engineering in USA. GRE scores also play an important role in the admission decision.
Where to Apply: Majority of the universities accept application via their own portal.
When to Apply: Students can apply to USA universities for fall or spring semester. Some universities also accept the application for the summer semester.
Admission Requirements for Masters in Mechanical Engineering in USA
Eligibility and additional requirements for admission in top universities in USA for MS in Mechanical Engineering are tabulated below:
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||4-year bachelors with 87%; GRE: 156 -168||3 Letter of recommendations; Statement of Purpose|
|Stanford University||4-year BS in Physics or BEng; GRE||3 Letter of recommendations; Statement of Purpose; CV|
|University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley)||Bachelors in related field with 80%; GRE||3 Letters of recommendation; CV; Statement of Purpose; Personal History Statement|
|University of Michigan – Ann Arbor||BSE or equivalent with 90%; GRE: 80th to 90th percentile||2 Letters of recommendation; Statement of Purpose; Personal Statement; CV|
|Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech)||Bachelors in related field; GRE (recommended)||CV|
|California Institute of Technology (Caltech)||4-year bachelors with mathematics and science; GRE||Letters of recommendation|
|Purdue University||Bachelors with 82%; GRE: 162 in Quantitative||Statement of Purpose; 3 Letters of recommendation; CV|
|University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)||Bachelors in related field; GRE||3 Letters of recommendation|
|Cornell University||Bachelors in related field; GRE||Statement of Purpose; 3 Letters of recommendation; CV|
|Northwestern University||Bachelors in related field; GRE||Letters of recommendation; Statement of Purpose; Publications|
English Language Proficiency for International Students
International students have to demonstrate proficiency in the English language by submitting IELTS or TOEFL test scores. Although, if you are from an English speaking country or your previous education was conducted in English, then you might get an exemption from submitting these scores. Minimum score requirement is provided below:
- IELTS: 6.5 to 7.0
- TOEFL (iBT): 80 to 100
Cost of Studying Masters in Mechanical Engineering in USA
Planning to study in the USA? There are certain unavoidable expenses that you will suffer. These can be broadly divided into pre-arrival and post-arrival expenses.
The fees of visa applications, admission application, tests required to study in the USA, etc make up the pre-arrival expenses of an international student. Some of these are tabulated below:
|Expense Type||Cost (USD)|
|Flight fare (one-way)||700|
Tuition Fees for MS Mechanical Engineering in USA
Tuition fees are an important and major expense post-arrival in the USA. For pursuing master's in mechanical engineering in USA the tuition ranges from 25000 to 55000. The graphical image below discusses the cost of pursuing the program at some popular universities offering mechanical engineering in USA.
Cost of Living in USA
The cost of living in USA will depend on various factors. These include the type of student accommodation opted for in US, the lifestyle of the applicant, city/university of choice. The details of expenses in various cities are detailed below:
- San Diego: Ranked 111th for its affordability parameter, and quite a fascinating destination with beaches. It has even ranked 76th in the ‘best cities ranking’ and its University of California, SanDiego in the 48th. The cost of living is roughly around US$ 903 (excluding the rent).
- Pittsburgh: Though it has dropped by four it has still kept up with its affordability meter and has ranked 112th. It is the dwelling of two most world-ranked universities, the highest being Carnegie Mellon University. A one-bedroom apartment will amount to US$ 1,166 whereas the same will cost around US$ 3,442 in San Francisco.
- Atlanta: Quite famous for Georgia Institute of Technology and is bountiful for its culture. Though it is slightly on the costlier side still ranks 115th in the affordability parameter. Though it must also be noted that the cost of studying is around US$ 27,1000.
- Baltimore: With home to John Hopkins University (ranking 24th), Baltimore has escalated to five places and has been placed 119th and 38th in Mercer Cost of Living Index.
- Dallas: It is home to the University of Dallas, Texas, and 123rd in the hierarchy of world affordability. It is known for its cost of living a notch below London by 14.9%.
- Philadelphia: Famous for University of Pennsylvania ranking 15th in the world. A single person’s monthly budget will be around US$ 1003.
- Chicago: Graded 41st in the best student cities and home to 5 top universities in the world, a one-bedroom apartment will roughly amount to US$ 1,880.
The image below details the maximum and minimum costs of studying in various coasts of the USA:
Scholarships for Masters in Mechanical Engineering in USA
It is true that studying in the USA is quite praise-worthy but at the same time quite heavy on the pockets. But the USA has never failed the students and therefore here we present you with the top-notch scholarships offered to the students:
It tops the list yet again, MIT caters to 6 out of 10 students by providing them with a scholarship amount of US$ 22, 647 which in another way round is the finance needed to pursue a degree from a state school. Furthermore, if any family’s income is less than $90,000 annually then it tends to them by ensuring the tuition fee.
|Scholarship/Institute Offering||Amount (USD)|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) for Engineers||22,647|
|The Fulbright Scholarships||Tuition and other expenses|
|The American Association of University Women||Upto $18,000-30,000 fellowships|
|Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship||50% grant and 50% loan|
|BrokerFish International Student Scholarship||Health Insurance|
|Go Clean Scholarship||Tuition fee waiver|
|Comindware Scholarship||Tuition fee waiver|
As Indian students make up a huge population of international students, there are many Indian student-specific scholarships available in USA.
Job Opportunities in USA after MS in Mechanical Engineering
According to the U. S. Bureau of Labour Statistics, the job outlook of the engineers will be escalated by 3,25,700 by 2028 from 312,900 in 2018. An average income of 77,900 USD is earned by an engineer, with the lowest 43,100 USD and the highest being 103,000 USD.
Some of the popular jobs in USA you can land into with a Masters in Mechanical Engineering are listed below along with their average annual salaries:
|Job Designation||Salaries (USD)||Job Designation||Salaries (USD)|
|Automation engineer||88,500||Mechanical engineering manager||98,400|
|Mechanical engineer||81,900||Robotics engineer||93,800|
|Ceramic engineer||81,600||Mechanical inspector||83,600|
|Equipment engineer||75,200||Equipment engineer||75,200|
|HVAC engineer||78,500||Validation engineer||73,600|
|Marine engineer||73,400||Pipeline engineer||73,800|
|Mechanical design engineer||82,800||Mining engineer||71,900|
|Nuclear engineer||86,867||Mechatronics engineering||73,600|
Studying in the USA is a dream for many. It not only presents one with a prosperous future but also with a happening life. There are numerous electives to choose from and the majority of the universities are high-end. One will even get to nurture their English skills which is a great add-on. Lastly, your CV will get an international touch - which will make you fly high.
Ques. What is the GPA prerequisite for admissions to MS in Mechanical Engineering in USA?
Ans. For master's programs, the GPA needed is roughly 3.0-3.5. This is equivalent to an 83-86 and 87-89% score. The grade equivalent of the same is B and B+.
Ques. What are the requirements for pursuing a MS in Mechanical Engineering in USA?
Ans. Documents required for studying masters in mechanical engineering in USA are GRE/TOEFL/IELTS/ scores report, LORs, SOP, Transcripts, resume. Competitive scores are required in GRE and other tests.
Ques. What is the cost of pursuing a MS in Mechanical Engineering in USA?
Ans. The cost of pursuing a MS in Mechanical Engineering in USA is 27,000 to 56,000 USD. This is equivalent to 20,56,387 to 42,65,100 INR for an Indian student.
Ques. How much can I earn with a masters in mechanical engineering in USA?
Ans. At an entry-level mechanical engineers can make up to 43,100 USD to 103,000 USD. This is equivalent to 32,60,000 INR to 77,90,000 INR. This makes MS in Mechanical Engineering in USA a lucrative program with high return on investment.