Southern Illinois University 2021 Admissions: Acceptance Rate, Requirements, Deadlines, Application Process
Southern Illinois University offers admissions to more than 200 undergraduate and graduate programs in more than 12 disciplines of administration, art, economics, agriculture, animal science, among others. The institute is a prestigious name in the US Education System consisting of eight diverse colleges opening its gates for admissions in the 3 intakes of Fall, Spring and Summer.
The student body is diverse representing over 96 countries. The university recorded a total enrollment of 11,695 students comprising 8,466 undergraduates. In fall 2019, the university received 5,377 applications and had an acceptance rate of 66%. The acceptance rate for male applicants was 69% while 65% of the female applicants were offered a place. The university has a moderately selective admission policy. Some of the most important factors affecting admission decisions include high school GPA, academic records, completion of college preparatory curriculum and test scores.
Some of the salient admission-related points to be considered when applying at Southern Illinois University are as compiled below.
- The university rolls out applications on a rolling basis for the intakes in 3 seasonal terms.
- Although there are no deadlines for applications, it is recommended that applications are filed 2 months prior to the commencement of the course.
- Applications can be filled at the online portal of the institute along with a non-refundable fee of 40 USD.
- The transcripts will not be accepted via email and must be sealed and stamped. However, if the original transcript is unavailable, the attested copies bearing an original stamp or signature will be considered as an alternative.
- International students are also required to submit their TOEFL/ IELTS scores completed within the last two years for demonstrating English language proficiency.
- In case you are applying for a merit scholarship, it is mandatory to present your SAT scores.
COVID-19 (coronavirus) Admission Updates
Considering the rules and regulations of the government in regards to COVID-19, the university is offering its students fall classes. These classes are presented to the students in various formats like the- online format, also they present it in-person and along with that they also do both at the same time which is also called the hybrid format. The university has its office opened in the working days with various precautions to wear masks on areas where gatherings cannot be avoided like reception, elevators, etc.
|Application Portal||Online & Paper|
|Application Fee||40 USD|
|Seasons Of Intake||Fall, Spring, Summer|
|Average Sat Score||1020-1300|
|Average Act Score||20-27|
|Academic Calendar||Semester Based Calendar|
|Financial Aid||Loans, Grants, Pell Grant And Scholarships|
|Admission Helpdesk||Admissions Office; (618) 453-2663; firstname.lastname@example.org|
Southern Illinois University Admission Deadlines
Since the applications for admission to a plethora of courses provided by the institute are released on a rolling basis, there are no fixed deadlines for applications.
Southern Illinois University International Students Admissions
The university welcomes international applicants to apply and also supports them by providing scholarships and loans to ease the financial burden. However, students must fill in the form appropriately and fulfil all admission requirements in order to be considered for admission.
How to apply?
Application portal : The application is released online which can be accessed from the international admissions section of the original website.
Application fee : 40 USD for international students
Basic admission requirements : international applicants must comply with the following requirements in order to be eligible for application :
- Official high school/ college transcripts, signed and sealed;
- A completed application;
- Proof of English proficiency;
- A financial statement showing a minimum of 40,000 USD within the last 6 months;
- A student visa;
- A photocopy of the first two pages of the passport
- SAT scores can be submitted as an optional document while admission.
- SOP to study in US
- Letter of recommendation
Please note that upon submission of the application form, an email will be imitated to you stating the further documents that you might be required to submit.
Students must send the admission materials to Southern Illinois University, Center for International Education, Woody Hall, D Wing, 425 Clocktower Dr., MC 4333, Carbondale, IL 62901-4333. Please note that the university does not accept official documents via email.
English Proficiency Test Scores
All the non-native English speakers aspiring for the institute must submit valid proof of their English language proficiency through acceptable test scores like TOEFL, IELTS or equivalent. Some such scores are as compiled below.
|Name of Test||Score|
(revised test scores are considered to be invalid)
- The applicant must have graduated the final years of high school from a US institution
- At least 2 in-person English composition classes are taken in the US at the college level with a grade A or B
- The student must have completed at least 48 college-level credit hours at the institution
- The applicant is a citizen of a country where English is an official language ;
|Name of Test||Score|
|TOEFL||80 on internet-based test
550 on paper-based test
|CAMBRIDGE ENGLISH EXAM||C1|
Visa Process For International Students
International students may apply for a visa to study in the USA as soon as the application form has been filled. The following are steps to obtain an international student visa :
- Soon after the application form has been filled, the university will issue an I-20 or a DS immigration document to the applicant;
- After the form has been filled, the applicant must carry the form to the nearest consulate of your hometown to schedule a visa interview;
- Post a successful visa interview, the applicant will be issued with an F-1 or J-1 visa as applicable to enter the United States.
- The following applications are required for the visa: a valid passport, proof of relationship with the home country, financial affidavit.
Southern Illinois University Undergraduate Admissions
Southern Illinois University offers 200 undergraduate majors, minors and specializations through its 8 colleges. Some of the most popular majors include Psychology, Biological Sciences, Business, Automotive Technology, Computer Science, etc. Applications are reviewed on a holistic basis.
Where to Apply: Online Application
Application Fee: 40 USD
Admission Requirements: The requirements for admission to undergraduate programs are given below:
- Official high school transcripts
- Proof of graduation
- SAT or ACT scores are only required for scholarship consideration
- English language proficiency test scores (for international students)
For automatic admission, applicants must meet the following criteria:
Southern Illinois University Graduate Admissions
The organization offers graduate programs in diverse fields such as anthropology, agricultural science, philosophy, social science, psychology and many more for applicants around the globe seeking to study in the USA. Aspirants must fulfill the following conditions in order to be eligible:
Where to apply: Apply online at the official website
Application fee: 40 USD
Admission requirements :
- Official transcripts
- English proficiency scores
- Financial affidavit
- A minimum of 2.7 on the previous two years of bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of 3.0 on all previous graduate work
- GMAT/GRE scores
Further information can be obtained at 618-536-7791 or email@example.com
Here is tabulated the specific requirements for various masters programs offered by the university :
|Program||Degrees Offered||Test Required||Application Fee||Areas Of Interest||Minimum GPA Required||Additional Requirements|
|Accountancy||M.Acc, Concurrent program law||GMAT||65 USD||Auditing and taxation||3.3||Statement of purpose, Resume|
|Business Administration (MBA)||MBA, Concurrent degree||GMAT||65 USD||Finance, marketing, accounting, management||3.5||Statement of purpose; GMAT score-500; Resume|
|English||MA||GRE||65 USD||Literary studies, rhetoric and composition||-||Statement of purpose, SAT/ ACT score|
|Computer Science Engineering||MS||GRE only for PhD||65 USD||Software engineering, data management, bioinformatics||-||1 letter of recommendation; Statement of purpose; Resume|
Considering the high selectivity rate, getting admission into the university is going to be likely if all the applications have been filled and documents are submitted on time. The applications are assessed on the basis of academic as well as the co-curricular performance of the applicant. Application status can also be checked at “SalukiNet” by logging into the portal using the unique network ID.
The presence of three semesters in a year and rolling applications also gives an opportunity to facilitate the selection.
Ques. When to apply for admissions at Southern Illinois University?
Ans. The admission process is based on rolling throughout the year. But candidates seeking admission must increase their chances for selection if they apply a few months earlier till you begin your college.
Ques. Is ACT scores required for admission at Southern Illinois University?
Ans. ACT scores are not necessary for the Achieve. But considering the applicant's enrolment requirements, they have to follow the SIU Carbondale. Therefore, following the admission requirements, the applicants are suggested to produce the required materials which also includes the score of ACT or SAT.
Ques. Where to submit the high school transcript at Southern Illinois University?
Ans. The applicants are suggested to submit their transcripts to the Undergraduate admissions. After your transcripts are received you can access the SalukiNet to get the information.
Ques. Where do students require to register for classes at Southern Illinois University?
Ans. The students are suggested to visit the online portal SalukiNet to register for the classes. Each student will have their unique ID which will help them login to access their account. For further information, the students can contact the academic advisor.
Ques. Does Southern Illinois University offer a scholarship?
Ans. Yes, they believe in helping their students to achieve their dreams. They offer almost 6 million dollars to freshman students every year.
Ques. What GPA is required for admission to Southern Illinois University?
Ans. There are no minimum GPA requirements for admission to undergraduate programs at Southern Illinois University. However, a cumulative high school GPA of 2.75 with a class rank in the top 10% and good ACT or SAT scores are eligible for automatic admission.
Ques. What SAT or ACT score is required for admission to Southern Illinois University?
Ans. An ACT score of 23 or SAT score of 1140 is required for admission to Southern Illinois University.
Ques. Is Southern Illinois University test-optional?
Ans. Southern Illinois University does not require SAT or ACT scores for admission. Students who wish to be considered for merit based scholarships must submit the test scores.
Ques. What is the acceptance rate of Southern Illinois University?
Ans. Southern Illinois University had an acceptance rate of 66% in fall 2019.
Ques. How much is the tuition fee of Southern Illinois University?
Ans. The standard international undergraduate tuition is 26,000 USD while the graduate tuition is 30,000 USD.