School of Art Institute of Chicago: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Founded in 1866, the School of Art Institute of Chicago is a distinguished private art and design school. It is located in Illinois and is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a charter member by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). SAIC has received many accolades for its excellence in arts. The Fine Arts course offered here is one of the top-ranked courses in the world.
Out of 3,683 students that enrolled at SAIC in Fall 2019, about 33% were international students, making it one of the most diverse places to study in the US. School of Art Institute of Chicago offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in Animation, Architecture, Art Education, Fashion Design, Economics, Art, and Technology. The courses are well designed with a combination of theoretical learning, practical activities, and Industrial exposure to help students in achieving their career and academic goals. School of Arts Institute of Chicago is among the colleges with academics in the USA and also among the colleges with Best Students life in the USA.
- SAIC is ranked #343th in the Times Higher Education list of Top Us College Rankings 2021.
- Ranked #9th for its Arts & Design by QS Top Universities subject-wise ranking 2020.
- Ranked #2 for Best Fine Arts Programs, as per US News and World Report ranking 2021.
- Ranked #17 among the Best College of Arts in the USA according to Niche Ranking 2021.
- Ranked #39 among Most Diverse College in the USA, as per Niche Ranking.
- Ranked #3 in Photography as per the US News and World Report.
- Ranked #3 in Photography as per the US News subject-wise ranking.
- Ranked #2 in Painting/Drawing as per the US News subject-wise ranking.
- Ranked #5 for Time-Based Media/ New Media as per the US News and World Report.
- Ranked #521 among the Most Conservative Colleges in the USA by Niche Ranking.
|Number of students enrolled at SAIC||3,683 (Fall 2019)|
|Cost of Attendance||66,700 USD|
|Campus Housing Capacity||17%|
- SAIC has a beautiful campus in Illinois which is over a large area of land and occupies the iconic Michigan Avenue Building with on-campus accommodation facilities, air-conditioned classrooms, computer labs, libraries, eateries, game facilities.
- The campus classrooms are well equipped with all the facilities like free wi-fi, study area ensuring a comfortable and learning ambiance to the students.
- The campus is at a prime location. All the major attractions of Chicago are at a walking distance from the campus.
- Students can explore the vibrant urban precincts, exciting nightlife, the outdoor lifestyle, and friendly locals.
- The college runs 60 student groups and organizations that conduct various activities for the development of students. Some of the activities include Latin Dancing, Yoga Classes, Philosophy Discussion, Art Critiques and more.
- The School of Art Institute of Chicago provides on-campus accommodation facilities to the students.
- SAIC has residential halls that can accommodate 700 students.
- There is three on-campus residence hall available for the students, namely:
- Jones Hall
- 162 North State Street Residence
- The Buckingham
- The Buckingham Residence is the center of the city and offers apartment-style residence.
- The Jones Hall and 162 North State Street Residence offer single, double, triple occupancy bedrooms with all the facilities.
- Basic amenities provided at these residence halls include comfortable rooms, wardrobe, living room, kitchen, internet connection, refrigerator, etc.
- Off-campus accommodation facility is also available, the school provides the required information and assistance about the off-campus accommodation facilities.
- School of Art Institute of Chicago offers programs in 48 areas of study. Some popular disciplines are:
- Art Education
- Fashion Design
- Art and Technology
- Among the various programs offered at the School of Art Institute of Chicago, 5 undergraduate and 14 graduate programs are currently provided.
- Some popular UG programs are Bachelors of Fine Arts in Studio and emphasis in Writing, BA in Art History, BA in Visual and Critical Studies.
- Famous graduate programs are Masters of Fine Arts in Studio, Masters of Architecture, MA in Art Education, MA in Teaching, MA in Visual and Critical Studies, Master of Design in Designed Objects, MS in Historic Preservation.
- The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Studio program is a course for students having a bachelor's degree. It facilitates students to develop artistic vision and technical proficiency.
- Historic Preservation Certificate provides knowledge of historic preservation research, documentation, material conservation, and practice.
- Application Portal: Applicants can apply through the Common Application or an online portal on the university's official website.
- Application Fees: 85 USD (Undergraduate Applicants)
90 USD (Graduate Applicants)
- Application Deadline: Application for SAIC admissions can be sent by:
- Fall Season - July 17
- Spring Season - January 1
- Required Documents:
- A completed application
- Official transcripts or high school records, diplomas, and certificates.
- English language proficiency
- Standardized Test Scores i.e.
- ACT/ SAT Scores (For Undergraduate Courses)
- GRE (For Graduate Courses)
- Financial Documents, if applying for financial aids
- Additional Requirements:
- Letter of Recommendation
- A valid passport
- Valid student Visa
- English Language Proficiency: Applicants with a native language other than English need to prove their proficiency by providing scores of TOEFL/ IELTS/DET/PTE
Cost of Attendance
- The estimated cost of attendance depends on several factors like the program applied for, tuition fees, housing, dining, etc.
- The estimated expenses at the School of Art Institute of Chicago are:
|Tuition Fees For Undergraduate courses||1666 USD per credit hour|
|Tuition Fees For Graduate courses||1730 USD per credit hour|
|Room and Board||15490 USD|
|Books and Supplies||1770 USD|
|Other Expenses||2020 USD|
- School of Art Institute of Chicago provides financial aid in the form of many scholarships, grants, and loans.
- International Students are eligible for merit-based scholarships and can also look for funding to study in the US outside SAIC.
- The institute also provides on-campus work opportunities to the international students, for up to 20 hours per week for Fall/Spring semester and 40 hours for Summer/Winter semester.
- International students are advised to look for scholarships in their home country which may be beneficial for them.
- SAIC grants multiple scholarships like:
- Competitive Excellence Award
- The Tuition Exchange Scholarship
- Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship
- School of Art Institute of Chicago has a separate Alumni Association which registers the students once their graduation is completed.
- The alumni association arranges various employment workshops that enhance skills and provides career opportunities.
- The school provides a one-year free membership to the recent graduates, a discount of 5 USD on Gene Siskel Film Center for one year. It also provides access to the School of Art Institute of Chicago's John M. Flaxman Library.
- Some notable Alumni are:
- Georgia O'Keeffe
- Elizabeth Murray
- David Sedaris
- Jeff Koons
- Gladys Nilsson
SAIC does not provide any on-campus placements facility, although it provides job opportunities for students by CAPX through the Handshake college-to-career portal and also through on-campus job fairs.
- CAPX provides various jobs and internships and also on-campus employment opportunities for its students.
- CAPX jobs and internships are provided either in person or remotely.
- CAPX provides Jobs and Internships for undergraduates, graduates, transfer students, and international students.
- The Handshake portal has around 3,165 employers, offers 2,945 jobs and 1,569 internships.
- Students can make an appointment with the career advisor to learn more about career resources and various career events and connect themselves with employers and peers through the Handshake portal.
- CAPX advisor also provides personalized coaching to develop challenging and returning career paths.
- 95% of the class of 2019 is either employed or pursuing a graduate degree.
- CAPX has partnerships with over 2,000 local, national, and international employers and Internship providers.
- Students from SAIC were hired in industries like Architecture/Urban Planning, Arts and Entertainment, Design, Education, Fashion and Textile, Marketing and Advertising, Museums and Libraries, Nonprofit/Philanthropy.
- Some of the areas of Jobs offered by CAPX are Animator, Architect, Art Instructor, Artist, Assistant Art Buyer, Cinematographer, Costume Designer, Creative Director, Graphic Designer, Operations Specialist, Overseas Advertising Producer, Photographer, Product Designer, etc
- Some of the companies that offers jobs and internships approved by CAPX :
- Chicago Public Library Foundation
- Dolce Vita
- Jurassic Studio
- Latin School of Chicago
- National Museum of Mexican Art
Find a Program
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
QS World University
I have opted for SAIC which maintains academic partnerships with the Glasgow School of Art of the U.K to provide students a qualitative education. Moreover, to take admission in this college i have submitted INR 6,027 as application fee. SAIC is one of the finest institutions creating eminent artists from various sectors. The basic infrastructure of the institution includes hi-tech classrooms, auditoriums, conference halls, well-stocked libraries, well-equipped labs, and expert faculty.
Course Curriculum :
The curriculum of my Bachelor of Interior Architecture include the study of human habitation. This four-year Bachelor in Architecture is an academic qualification that provides a rounded competency and deep understanding of the architecture field.
There are very limited institute more focused on arts and designs. I had searched for a lot of art and design schools in the USA, and I applied for SAIC and Rhodes. The online application fee for SAIC was $85. I had a well-developed portfolio, that's the reason I was more attracted to SAIC because of the creative curriculum.
Course Curriculum :
I had been in this school for almost two years and I'm in love with the course curriculum. Our work is represented in the college studio as well as on the official site, which is very encouraging for us. I got in-depth knowledge of human habitation and various other minor aspects through my course, which will be really very helpful!
Getting inspired by the work done by some of the notable alumni like Grant Wood, Ray Yoshida, Karl Wirsum and many other artists made me apply for this institute. While researching the institute I also got to know the various exposure that will be provided to me. I had applied for the institute with the help of a common application form. $45 was the fee of the application form.
Course Curriculum :
My program's curriculum pathway consists of a scaffolded sequence of design and construction topics. I am also provided a firm foundation in drawing, draping, pattern-making, and garment construction. My curriculum is also a combination of historical research with contemporary explorations. With the help of this curriculum, I am able to transcend the traditional boundaries of fashion to examine clothing as it relates to lifestyle, performance, display, costume, and art.
I had heard about the School of the Art Institute of Chicago from one of my relatives and thought it to be a great fit for my passion. Its immense popularity and historical significance were also some of the reasons for joining it. Applying through the Common Application with an application fee of $60 made it easier for me.
Course Curriculum :
As far as my course of the curriculum is concerned, I think it's sufficient to be applied in real life. I opted for a bachelor's degree in fine arts and studio with Art and Technology study as my major subject. Being a part of an open curriculum that has creative, idiosyncratic, and tailored programs helped me in my overall artistic development.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Train Station
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary