Francis Marion University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The lineage of Francis Marion University can be traced back to 1957 when it laid its foundation as a ‘freshman centre’ at the Florence County Library. Later on, in the year 1961, its permanent campus was set towards the east of Florida. With the advancement of time the institute started offering programs at various levels and gained the university status in 1992.
Francis Marion, strives to represent the best educational values and offer high-quality education to students in the best possible ways. Keeping in mind the COVID-19 pandemic, the university has shifted to virtual classrooms from the traditional classrooms. Furthermore, students can register themselves for a video conference with the admission counsellor for a better insight into the admission process.
Francis Marion University Rankings
Francis Marion University has been conferred the following rankings by various ranking agencies:
- According to US News & World Report:
- #136 in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- #61 in Regional Universities South
- #37 in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #56 in Best Value Schools
- #48 in Top Performers on Social Mobility
- #24 in Top Public Schools
- #192 in Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs.
- As per Niche ratings:
- Best College Dorms in America #567 of 1,384
- Most Conservative Colleges in America # 576 of 1,692
- Best College Athletics in America # 637 of 1,407
|Campus Area||832 acres|
|Endowment||25 million USD|
|Cost of Attendance||33,511 USD|
|Campus Housing Capacity||50%|
|Student to Faculty Ratio||15:1|
|Average Class Size||20|
|Student Retention Rate||68%|
Francis Marion University Campus
- The campus of the university is spread over 832 acres of land that houses buildings and facilities for academics, administration, athletics, auditoriums, dining, Rogers library, outdoor pool, Print Center, observatory, Kassab Tennis Courts, Griffin Athletic Complex, Softball Field, Sparrow Stadium, soccer field and Residence Halls.
- The University campus supports mixed pine-hardwood and bottomland forests accessed by a series of trails making the amalgamation of nature into modern technology-driven developmental education.
Francis Marion University Residence
- The College has 6 residential halls and 2 complexes as residential facilities namely the Cottage, the Village Apartments, Marion State, Palmetto, Swamp Fox, Belle Isle, Snow Island, and Ellen C. Watson Residence Halls and Forest Villas Apartments.
- For dining/eating facilities Ervin Dining Hall, The Grille, Subway, Cauthen Cafe (including Starbucks), and the P.O.D. market is located on campus.
- The accommodations have basic furniture and furnishings and the complex has outdoor and indoor pools, laundry facilities, study rooms, recreational rooms, sport and games facilities amongst others.
- The Heyward Community Center is open to all and hosts a common room with large screen television, laundry, vending, and fitness facilities.
- The On-Campus accommodation costs around USD 5 to 9,000 per year and the meal plans vary from 1,000 to 4,000 USD per year.
- Alternatively, students can opt for off-campus accommodation options equipped with similar facilities that too at cheaper rates.
Francis Marion University Programs
- The University offers over 100 undergraduate and graduate programs through four different schools and colleges mainly in the majors of Biology, Psychology, Management, Fine Arts, Industrial Engineering, and Nursing
- FMU’s Honors Program along with a challenging curriculum provides service and travel (usually to a European destination) opportunities designed to broaden the outlook and ability of the students. Top students completing 21 hours of course work under this program, with a satisfactory GPA, receive special recognition, including a medal, on completing their graduation.
- University’s study abroad program runs with 13 countries and 18 partner universities at no additional cost for the student.
- Student-faculty ratio- 15:1.
Francis Marion University Application Process
- The admission applications are accepted online through the university’s application portal.
- An application fee 41 USD (non-refundable) needs to be paid.
- Official transcripts of High school/College degree. These transcripts must be attested by the issuing university or Board. Credential evaluation by WES is required.
- Standardized Test Scores: SAT scores or equivalent ACT scores are required for undergraduate students.
- GRE or GMAT scores are required for graduate students depending on the course.
- English Language proficiency test(s) (Academic Module) scores are required for international students from non-English speaking countries:
- Financial certification form to be completed and Passport copy
- Two references, resume statement of purpose needed for graduate admissions.
- Average graduation rate: 37%; acceptance rate 60% and Student retention rate 68%
Francis Marion University Cost of Attendance
Students at Francis Marion University need to incur the following expenses, on average, every academic year.
|Types of Expenses||Cost (USD)|
|Room and Board (on Campus)||8,121|
|Books and Supplies||1,200|
|Personal Expenses and Transportation||2,800|
Francis Marion University International Student Scholarships
- The University offers merit-based scholarships and considers all the accepted students for the same.
- Students with cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and standardized test SAT score of 1160 or higher (Evidence-Based Reading & Writing and Math) or ACT Composite score of 24 or higher are given this award valued minimum USD 1,000 and renewable for 4 years for full-time students who are able to maintain a GPA of 3.0.
- For graduate merit scholarships, the students are required to submit an application within the given deadlines. The University informs the selected candidates only.
- Besides this, the university has some specific subject related awards and need-based financial help. The college also helps students apply for state grants and loans to meet their study expenditures.
- Also, students can try exploring a variety of external sources of scholarships offered to international students in the USA.
Francis Marion University Alumni
- The University’s alumni association conducts many events towards maintaining a connection between the old and new students.
- Homecoming parade and tailgating, Alumni awards, Discounts and related events are organized to celebrate and enjoy the association of students with the university. The members get discounts on FMU performing arts center and FMU Swamp fox club memberships.
- The university has built an alumni cottage which normally hosts all the alumni events.
- Some notable alumni of the University are Bree Boyce, Miss South Carolina 2011; Kellie Rasberry, Radio host; Yancey McGill, Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina; Mark L. Walberg, Television Host; Alan Wilson, Attorney General; Pearl Moore, Basketball player; Terry Alexander, Politician; Patricia Moore Henegan, Politician; Heather Ammons Crawford, Politician and Jeff Noble, Politician.
- The University has Career Services and subscribes to the online job portal Handshake that allows the students to upload their resume and look for the suitable available positions. The portal also helps in polishing and acquiring employment skills. The employers are also able to post their requirements on the portal.
- The Career Development center organizes campus job fairs twice a year to help students interact and meet prospective employers directly.
- The Center also provides career advice, conducts workshops and seminars to improve their employability skills and helps students in selecting their future career paths.
- 93% of the students of the college are able to get a job within 2 years of graduation and after 6 years they earn around USD 33,100 per year against the national average of USD 33,028.