Master of Science [M.Sc] (Learning Analytics)
Offered by Teachers College at Columbia University
International Student Tution
- The MSc in Learning Analytics at Columbia University is a 1-year program.
- This program prepares students to make data-driven decisions about education using quantitative methods drawn from computer science, statistics, and cognitive science.
- Students learn analysis methods through coding, statistical model building, and visualization as well as relevant policy, legal, and ethical issues involved in conducting analysis on education data.
- Some of the main topics students learn through this program are:
- Data Mining
- Process and Theory
- Networked and Online Learning
- Human Cognition and Learning
- Educational Psychology
- Students will learn analytics and educational data-mining methodologies and apply them to real-world problems across a variety of learning environments.
- The data analysis represents one of the fastest-growing career paths, and employers in the education sector are increasingly looking to hire individuals with the skills to make data-driven decisions.
- The student-faculty ratio of this college is 6:1.
- Graduates of the master's program pursue jobs in educational technology companies and startups, think tanks, and governmental data groups.
- The acceptance rate of Columbia University is 5.8%.
- Columbia University is ranked #19 in QS Global World Rankings 2021.
|Degree Type Offered||Master|
|Fees||$ 56029 for 1 yearor 32 Credits Program|
|Delivery Type||full time|
|Admission Intake||fall (Deadline - Feb 15)|
|Offered By||Teachers College at Columbia University|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Students must have a bachelor's degree in a related field of engineering or science to get admission in this program.
- Students required to maintain at least a 2.7 overall GPA.
- Students whose official language is not English are required to submit IELTS or TOEFL scores.
Required Document List
The following Documents are required to attend this program:
- Statement of Purpose: An essay or other written statement written by the student.
- Resume/CV: Outline of academic achievements and/or awards, publications, relevant work and/or volunteer experience.
- Academic Documents: Submit copies of official transcripts from post-secondary institutions attended.
- Sample of written work: Student has to write something interesting as their sample essay in the application form.
- Statement of Interest: Reasons or intentions for pursuing studies in this program, including a description of prior experience.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation: Referees (Teachers, guidance counselors, or Professors) should comment on academics and that references should submit along with the application system.
|fall||Feb 15, 2021|
Closed for Applications.
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Books and Supplies||$3433|
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
|Living Expenses||$ 22800|
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|Shardashish Interschool fellowship||$ 50000||Yes||Feb 1, 2021|
|Chuan Ai Lu Engstrom Memorial Scholarship||$ 1000||No||Aug 1, 2020|
|Aga khan Foundation Scholarships||Variable||Yes||Mar 31, 2021|
|Axol Science Scholarship||$ 2000||Yes||Jul 1, 2020|
VISA & Work Study
There are 4 types of VISA for applying for Columbia University:
- F-1 Student VISA
- F-2 Department VISA
- J-1 Student VISA
- J-2 Department VISA
The general documents required for the visa application include:
- Copy of admission letter/email
- Copy of a valid Passport
- Financial Certification Form (Estimated expenses of the program)
- Evidence of Financial Support (Refer to the funding documents checklist)
- Passport identification page of each dependent, if applicable
- If the applicant currently in the U.S, a copy of their I-94 arrival record
Students may not work during their own scheduled class hours. Students may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year (including Spring Break), except as noted on the pay schedule, and 35 hours per week during the eligible winter and summer break.
Career and Placement after Course
The Master of Science in Learning Analytics prepares researchers and professionals for a range of careers in:
- Education technology companies and startups
- Educational evaluation
- Educational think tanks
- Data groups in city, state, and federal departments of education
The drive to make business organizations data-oriented has created a huge demand for data scientists and analysts. Therefore I applied to this university for an MS in Analytics. I applied online and also paid the $65 application fee. The university required me to submit my official transcripts, work experience, statement of purpose essays, and other necessary documents along with my application. With my 85% marks at the graduation level and my 3+ years of work experience in the corporate world, I was confident about my chances of admission.
Course Curriculum :
As a graduate student in the field of learning analytics, I am taught key concepts of educational data mining methodologies, relevant policy, legal and ethical issues involved in conducting analytics on educational data. Our course work prepares us to become researchers and professionals in data technology companies, data groups in the federal department of education and so on.