Rockefeller University is located in New York, USA. It was founded as the Rockefeller Institute in 1901 but became a university in 1965.
It is one of the top research universities in the world specializing in the biological sciences. It is the foremost biomedical research university in the world. The university offers one graduate program in Bio-Science and a research program for undergraduates. It also offers several post-doctoral courses and clinical research and training programs for graduates.
Some popular majors of the university are:-
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Why choose Rockefeller University?
- Topped global university ranking in research excellence and patents.
- Rockefeller scientists in the previous decade have discovered a powerful agent to kill anthrax bacteria, discovered a link between depression and serotonin, studied the molecular basis of X syndrome (causes mental retardation), and many other significant discoveries.
- The university’s financial endowment fund amount to 1.9 billion USD.
Rockefeller University Schools and College
Rockefeller University specializes in biomedical science. There are 5 major programs available in the university:-
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program.
- Graduate Program in Bioscience
- Clinical Scholars Program
- Science Outreach Program
- Post-Doctoral Fellows Program
It offers an M.D/PhD program in collaboration with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre and Weill Cornell Medicine.
Campus Housing Facility at Rockefeller University
The Rockefeller University Campus spans across 14 acres and has 22 buildings. There are,
- 8 research buildings
- Administrative and residence buildings
- Heilbrunn Outpatient Research Centre
- Tennis Court
- Dining halls, libraries, cafes, etc.
All students receive subsidized housing facilities in the university. All student rooms have high-speed internet access.
Rockefeller University Admission Process
Pre-Requisites for admission into Rockefeller University
- Official transcripts.
- Research statements
- GRE Scores (optional)
- TOEFL Scores (for international students from non-English speaking nations).
- Letters of recommendation from three or four sponsors.
Pre-Requisites for SURF Program
- Summary Statement containing two pages describing the applicant’s career goals, scientific interests etc.
- Official transcript from college/university/educational institution.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors or mentors evaluating the candidates based on current or completed projects.
Students have to apply online at the official website of the university. Undergraduate students can apply for the SURF Program at the official website
- Applications have to be submitted by December 1 for Graduate Program.
- Deadline for SURF Program is February 1.
Application Fee for Graduate Program is $50.
Rockefeller University Cost of Attendance
All undergraduate and graduate students receive stipends from the Rockefeller University and do not need to pay tuition fees.
- Subsidized housing rents for Graduate Students start from $680 to $1190.
- SURF students get free housing facilities.
Scholarship and Financial Aid offered by Rockefeller University
All students receive financial support from the Rockefeller University.
- SURF students receive $6000 as the stipend.
- Graduate students receive $40,500 annually as stipend along with,
- $2500 for research
- $1500 for two to five years for other expenses related to studies
- Health, dental and vision plans
- Students can apply for fellowships outside supplemented by the university.
- Students can get $5000 awards through fellowships.
Rockefeller University Alumni
The Rockefeller University alumni get resources for career development and research. Job search assistance is also provided to PhDs.
Some of the notable alumni of the university are –
- David Albert – Physicist and philosopher
- Seth Lyod – Physicist
- Gerald Edelman – Nobel Prize in Physiology (1972)
- Barbara Ehrenreich – Author of ‘Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America.