Rockefeller University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Rockefeller University is a private co-ed graduate university founded by the famous American Industrialist and Philanthropist - John D. Rockefeller Sr., in 1901 as a medical research center in the bid to find a lasting solution to infectious disease which was a threat to the human race at that time. In the wake of 1955, the university diversified its mission to accommodate education thereby ushering in the birth of a university. With a lot of scientific discoveries in the biomedical field and other fields, the university is regarded as the world-renowned hub of biomedical research in the field of clinical sciences, biomedical sciences, chemistry, and other related fields.
It is the foremost biomedical research university in the world. The university offers a graduate program in Bio-Science and a research program for undergraduates. It also offers several doctoral courses and clinical research and training programs for graduates.
Some popular majors of the university are Biology and Biological & Biomedical Sciences.
Rockefeller University is ranked:
- 62nd in the list of 2020 Best Global Universities by U.S. News
- 13th in the list of best Universities in the United States offering Biological Sciences by U.S. News
- 5th in the list of best Universities in the United States offering Immunology by U.S. News
- 23rd in the list of best Universities in the United States offering Microbiology by U.S. News
- 35th in the list of best Universities in the United States offering Biology and Biochemistry by U.S. News
|Annual Endowment||1.987 billion USD|
|Mode of Program||Full time; Part time; online|
|Annual cost of Attendance||1190 USD|
- The University is nestled in a beautifully landscaped 16-acre campus located at 1230 York Avenue(at East 66th Street) on Manhattan upper Eastside in the heart of New York City area
- Facilities on campus include nine research buildings (covering over 481,000 square feet of lab space), residential buildings, restaurants, administrative buildings, and others.
- The university has 76 new age laboratories which are used primarily to conduct clinical and basic research to find a long-lasting solution to a diverse range of biological and biomedical problems
- The university campus is a short walk to many of New York’s outstanding and famous museums, zoo, theaters, sports arena, concert halls, galleries, and cultural centers
- In addition to the main campus, there is also a recently completed campus extension called the Stavros Niarchos Foundation–David Rockefeller River Campus measuring two acres and thousands of square feet used primarily for research space
- The Stavros Niarchos Foundation–David Rockefeller River Campus has four buildings and expansive laboratory space.
- Rockefeller University offers on-campus and off-campus housing to students. Both facilities are operated and managed by the school.
- The university currently has two on-campus dormitories - Graduate Students Residence (GSR) and Sophie Fricke Hall (SFH) serving the students’ housing needs.
- Amenities available on the on-campus dormitories are high-speed internet, cable TV hook-ups in each building, computer lab, exercise facilities, squash courts, an outdoor tennis court, air conditioners, laundry facilities, meeting space and TV lounge.
- Every dormitory on campus has educational support programs and facilities for students with disabilities
- Types of housing available in the dormitories include studios with kitchenettes, double suites with shared kitchens, triple suites with shared kitchen, and one-bedroom apartments.
- The university off-campus housing units for students are located in Faculty House.
- Faculty House is a spacious accommodation with amenities such as Elevator, area restaurants and shops, 24-hour doorman service, full-size kitchen, a living room in each unit, onsite laundry facilities, gym, and recreational facilities.
- Student housing units at faculty houses include 19 two-bedroom, two-bath suites, shared bathroom suites, and 6 three-bedroom.
- Undergraduates and graduates who are not satisfied by the amenities at the available housing units can apply not more than six months before arrival for housing at the Postdoctoral fellows and associates lodge. This housing units, however, is relatively more expensive
- Housing fee at Rockefeller University ranges from 680 USD to 4,000 USD
- University housing is strictly exclusive for students and their spouses, children, affiliates, and domestic partners
- Rockefeller University offers master's and Ph.D. programs in Biological Sciences and Physics in David Rockefeller Graduate school
- Rockefeller University also offers one of the top M.D./Ph.D. programs and a leading chemical biology Ph.D. program in the United States in partnership with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and Weill Cornell Medicine
- KL2 Clinical Scholars program - a three-year training experience is also available to physician-scientists to equip them for independent careers in clinical and patient-oriented translational research. At the end of the program, a Master's degree in Clinical and Translational Research is awarded to students.
- Rockefeller University offers a seven-week Summer Science Research Program (SSRP) to highly motivated high school students for a total-immersion experience in laboratory study and research.
- Rockefeller University also organizes a 10-week Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program to provide opportunities for sophomores and juniors from other universities across the globe to conduct laboratory research in its facilities.
- The university organizes RockEDU Science to create science resources and programs that promote equitable access to scientific processes within the scientific community.
International students seeking admissions at the University can follow the below-mentioned admission details:
- Undergraduate SURF: SURF online application portal
- Graduate: Graduate Application Portal
- Clinical Scholars Program: online application portal
- Undergraduate: Free
- Graduate: 50 USD
Undergraduate Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program -
- Application Deadline: February 1st, 2020
- Notification Dates: Mid-March 2020
- Program Dates: June 1st to August 7th, 2020
Graduate programs deadline -
- Application Deadline: December 1st, 2019
- Clinical Scholars Program Deadline
- Application Deadline: December 5th, 2019
Supporting documents (SURF) -
- A two-page statement of purpose
- An official transcript (uploaded during the online application).
- Two-four letters of recommendation from professors or mentors submitted Online
Supporting documents Graduate Program-
- Research statement
- An official transcript from all universities attended
- Letters of recommendation from three or four Professors or mentors
- Standardized test scores like GRE/GMAT scores and TOEFL scores are not required for admission
Clinical Scholars program
- Valid New York State medical license or eligibility for a limited permit.
- Credentials suitable for appointment to The Rockefeller University Hospital.
- Commitment to performing a human subjects study at The Rockefeller University Hospital.
- Training in Advanced Cardiac Life Support
Cost of Attendance
- The school charges no tuition in its programs and students are covered by comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans.
- Student housing is affordable and guaranteed with housing rents ranging from 700 USD to 4,000 USD per month depending on the housing location
- The total living expenses are estimated at 67,600 USD per year. This amount is paid from the stipend received by the students
- SURF students receive a stipend of 6,000 USD plus free housing for international students and students who cannot commute to campus.
- 2019/2020 annual graduate student stipend is 41,700 USD
- Graduate students are also assisted with research-related expenses – 2,500 USD in the first year and 1,500 USD in subsequent years
- Students are advised to apply for external fellowships. In the case of a competitive award, an additional 5,000 USD is awarded to students.
Other Sources of Funding
Applying for financial aid programs in the US can be overwhelming due to their extensive application filing process. Here’s a brief list of research scholarship opportunities from private organizations both within the U.S. and India.
- American University Emerging global leader Scholarship
- United World Colleges International Youth Scholarships.
- Civil Society Leadership Award
- The Indian Trust Fellowship
- Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowships for Indian Students
- Fulbright-Nehru Research Fellowship
- Inlaks Scholarship
- Rockefeller University Alumni network has more than 1,262 members across the globe
- Alumni of Rockefeller University are top personalities in varieties of career paths in academia, government, industry, and biotech, education, etc.
- Popular alumni of the school include:
- David Albert, physicist - recipient of Nobel Prize in 1975 for the discovery of reverse transcriptase
- Michael Bratman, Durfee Professor of philosophy at Stanford University
- Harvey Lodish, professor of biology and Founding Member - Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research
- Education at Rockefeller University open doors to a wide range of opportunity all over the world
- Career advancement resources are easily accessible at the students portal
- Events conducted on campus are geared toward giving students adequate exposure for the right placement
- According to Payscale, Rockefeller graduates average annual salary is 100,000 USD
Application Portal :https://graduateapplication.rockefeller.edu/
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
I got to know about Rockefeller University through a college fair, and my high school grades were qualifying the admission criteria and that's why I decided to apply for Rockefeller University for my bachelor degree, I submitted my documents and paid $50 for the application form.
Course Curriculum :
We were taught various topics out of which we selected a few of them based on our interest and based on our area of the thesis. We were taught topics like Biochemical and biophysical methods, cell biology of nuclear process, etc.
Before I came to the USA, I had no idea about which college I should study. I chose Rockefeller University because it offered me the best financial package. I also had a very great conversation with the admission's officer on the phone call. So I decided to go here. The application fee cost me $50.
Course Curriculum :
My course's structure at Rockefeller is designed to stimulate interaction between researchers from different disciplines. While it is grouped into major areas of study. It contains various concepts like the Molecular Basis of Cancer, Chemical Biology, Stem Cells in tissue morphogenesis, and other discussion sessions.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Train Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary