Syracuse University 2021-2022 Admissions: Acceptance Rate, Deadlines, Requirements & Application Process
The Syracuse University is one of the desired places among young aspirants to study in the USA. Syracuse University offers admissions to a range of courses such as Business, Social Sciences, Visual and Performing Arts, Engineering, etc. The institute received over 34,981 applications and only 50% among these were accepted, showing that it could be tough getting into the university.
Further, just 21% of the total accepted students enrolled in the university. For acceptance at Syracuse University the average GPA requirement is high- 3.67 on a 4.0 scale. Also, the students can choose among three available decision deadlines Regular Decision, Early Decision, and Early Decision. The university offers various programs at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Applications are invited for the fall and spring semesters.
- For applying in the fall, the university offers 2 early decision deadlines and a regular decision deadline.
- At Syracuse University applications for both UG and PG programs are accepted online.
- TOEFL/ IELTS English proficiency test scores are required for foreign applicants.
- Standardized test scores, along with the high school grade point average (GPA), are used by many universities to predict student performance in the first year of college.
- SAT/ACT Subject Test scores are not required due to the COVID- 19.
- Documents showing coursework completed outside the U.S. must be submitted along with English translation, if applicable.
- A key to the marking system or grading scale must be submitted if not already discussed in the transcripts.
- The University offers merit-based financial aid to all eligible students.
|Application Portal||UG: Common Application
PG: Online Portal
|Application Fee||UG: 85 USD
Graduate: 75 USD
|Acceptance Rate||50% (Fall 2018)|
|Payment Mode||Credit Card|
|Intake Session||Fall and Spring in Rolling Basis|
|Academic Calendar||Quarter Based System|
|Average SAT Score||1270|
|Average ACT Score||28|
|Financial Aid||Available as loans, grants, scholarship, and special programs|
|Language Proficiency Test||TOEFL: 85/ IELTS: 6.5/ Cambridge: 176/ Duolingo 110|
Syracuse University Admission Deadlines
Following are the general deadlines for international students. However, students are recommended to start their admission process well before the semester is scheduled to commence assuring a smooth application process and enough time for visa procedures.
|Type of Deadline||Early Decision||Early Decision II||Regular Decision (Fall)|
|Electronic Application||November 15 (closed now)||January 1 (closed now)||First-year: January 1; Transfer: July 1, 2021|
|School of Architecture||November 15 (closed now)||January 5 (closed now)||January 5 (closed now)|
|Accelerated Scholars Program||November 15 (closed now)||December 1 (closed now)||December 1 (closed now)|
|Admission notification commencement||Mid-December (closed now)||Mid-January 2021 (closed now)||Late March 2021 (closed now)|
|Reply Deadline||February 15 (closed now)||February 15, 2021 (closed now)||May 1, 2021|
Syracuse University International Students Admissions
Before taking admission to Syracuse University an aspirant must know some of the facts. The following are some of the requirements required by an international student for applying at Syracuse University.
Application Fee- 85 USD
Admission Portal- Common Application
- Complete application on the common app.
- Submit all required Documents
- Look for additional document requirements if any.
- Track the application.
- Confirm the enrolment through the mail.
- Complete the Visa process.
- Official Academic Transcript submission.
- Two recommendations.
- Financial and bank statements.
- Additional Requirements as per the selected course have to be completed.
- English Proficiency Test scores TOEFL/IELTS/PTE
English language proficiency test score requirements
International applicants who need to show English proficiency eligibility can do so by appearing in one of the following test scores. The minimum test score requirements are as follows:
Speaking, Reading and Listening: 20 (no subscore below 20)
|IELTS Bands||Reading Listening and speaking:6.5
Visa process for international students
International students need to apply for an F-1 student visa for studying at Syracuse, students are issued the I-20 form only after enrolment. After they have received the I-20 form it has to be filled and submitted also there are the following other requirements:
- Students need to submit the F-1 visa application form.
- Submission of the bank account and financial details.
- Valid Passport.
Once all the documents are ready students need to complete the SEVIS Fee payment and after that, they will have an interview scheduled in the US Embassy. Only after the successful interview and document verification student will receive the VISA.
Syracuse University Undergraduate admissions
Following are some key points for the students applying for undergraduate courses in Syracuse university:
Application Portal: Common Application
Application Fee: 85 USD
- Secondary School Transcripts
- Grade reports of the senior year.
- SAT/ACT test scores are required by all courses except a few courses at the College of Visual and performing arts. [Note: Writing Section is not required]
- Two academic recommendations.
- An evaluation report by the secondary school counselor.
Syracuse University Graduate admissions
Following are some key points for the students applying for Graduate courses in Syracuse university:
Application Portal: Online Portal of individual school and college.
Application Fee: 75 USD
- Official graduation transcripts.
- Letters of recommendation (LOR) as per program requirement.
- Personal statement
- 1 Essay
- Writing Samples
- Official GRE test scores
- Transcripts translated to English
- Official TOEFL/IELTS scores.
- Syracuse University must receive appropriately sealed and signed transcripts and documents by the institutions.
Some popular graduate courses offered by Syracuse University and their specific application details are as follows.
|Application Details||MBA||M.S Accounting||M.S Computer Engineering||M.S Applied Data science||M.S Electrical Engineering|
|Application Fee USD||75||75||75||75||75|
|Academic Requirements||Official Transcripts||Official Transcripts||Official Transcripts||Official Transcripts||Official Transcripts|
|GPA||Minimum GPA:3.0 out of 4.0||Minimum GPA:3.0 out of 4.0||Minimum GPA:3.0 out of 4.0||Minimum GPA:3.0 out of 4.0||Minimum GPA:3.0 out of 4.0|
|Standard Test Scores||GMAT: Min Score:600||GMAT: Min:500 2019average=616||GRE Score
|Supporting Documents||2 LORs
|Special Requirements (If any)||Video Component||N/A||Video component||N/A||N/A|
Minimum GPA and SAT/ACT subject scores are not required for submission of an application to some programs at Syracuse University. Once the students have successfully submitted their application they are processed and the following are few key pointers to be kept in mind after submission:
- After the applications have been completed students can check the status on the MySlice portal.
- Students are usually notified on a rolling basis about the acceptance of the applications.
- Once students are accepted they receive an E-mail and they need to complete the mentioned requirements to secure enrolment.
- Acceptance is confirmed only after the student completes the advance tuition deposit on My slice.
There are about 24,000 students out of which 6000 are international students from various countries that make up about 25% of student population showing that Syracuse University is a good place to apply for international applicants.
Ques. Is the merit Scholarship offered by Syracuse university?
Ans. Yes, the university offers merit scholarships to students. Consideration is given to every student who submits the complete application and no special application is required.
Ques. How many majors does Syracuse University offer?
Ans. There are 13 schools and colleges under Syracuse university that offer 200 majors and 100 minors
Ques. How can we track the application?
Ans. Students are sent a SUID via mail after completing the application process, this can be used to create a NetID and Password and then students can track the status through MySlice using ID and password.
Ques. Should we apply through Early Decision or Early Decision (II)?
Ans. Students should apply with the early decision if Syracuse university is the first choice because if the students get selected in the courses of first preference they have to enroll for the courses.
Ques. Are the transcripts required to be Translated before submitting?
Ans. Yes, students need to translate the official Transcripts to English before final submission.
Ques. What if I am not able to give my SAT/ACT at during the pandemic?
Ans. SAT/ACT scores are not required for students applying for Fall 2021. This shall not affect the criteria for merit scholarships.
Ques. How will I receive my admission decision?
Ans. Students will be notified of their decision via an e-mail, and not via MySlice.
Ques. How can I apply for a dual major that is not listed in the supplement?
Ans. In this case, the student may contact their faculty advisor after getting enrolled and can choose a single enrolment on a temporary basis.
Ques. Can I change the major I have applied for?
Ans. Students can send an email to email@example.com with their details such as full name, date of birth, SUID (if applicable), program chosen, and original program
Ques. Can the letter of recommendation be from someone other than my academic teacher?
Ans. The letters of recommendation must be from your core academic subject teachers. However, additional recommendation letters from advisors, counselor, coach, etc. may be included if students feel that it provide a better idea of their qualities, abilities or academic achievements
Ques. Can I submit a portfolio/recording for a program that does not require it to enhance my application?
Ans. No, it will not be reviewed if they are not applicable to the course.