Syracuse University Admission 2020-2021, Requirement, Deadline & Acceptance Rate
With an acceptance rate of 47%, Syracuse University is moderately competitive to get admission in. It is competitive to get in through SAT and ACT scores as the average required scores for admission through SAT is 1270 and the composite ACT score required is 28.
The average GPA required for admission is 3.67.
- The undergraduate applicants can apply through the common application and the graduate applicants can apply through the university’s online portal.
- The applicants can apply through the following admission plans:
- Early decision (ED): If Syracuse University is the first choice of the applicants, they should consider applying for ED. The candidates may apply to other colleges and universities through regular decision, with the understanding that they will have to withdraw these applications if admitted to Syracuse University.
- Regular decision plan.
- Early admission: This is an option for secondary school juniors who have completed all but a few course requirements for secondary school graduation. A personal interview is required in this admission plan.
|Application Portal||Common Application|
|Application Fee||75 USD|
|SAT (Combined Math & Critical Reading Only)||1270|
|Undergraduate Tuition||52210 USD|
|Application Portal||Online Portal|
|Application Fee||75 USD|
|Payment Mode||Credit Card|
Syracuse University Admission Deadlines
|Early Decision||November 15, 2018|
|Early Decision 2||January 1, 2018|
|Regular Decision||January 1, 2019|
|Regular decision for Transfer Students||July 1, 2019|
|Spring Enrollment||November 15|
|Application Deadline||Differ for Individual Schools and Courses|
Syracuse University International Admissions
There is a special orientation program in place to help international students adjust to life in the U.S. The Slutzker Center for International Services provides international students the opportunity to participate in English conversation practice groups, and attend special events to meet other students from around the world.
Following are the admission requirements for international students:
- Students studying outside the U.S. (including U.S. citizens living abroad) and those who are currently enrolled in a school that does not follow the American system of education do not require to submit SAT/ACT scores.
- SAT subject tests are not required.
- International applicants are also considered for merit scholarships so they should check their eligibility and apply for the same.
- Financial requirements:
- International applicants who require an F-1 Visa need to submit documents demonstrating their ability to fund their education for one full academic year.
- International students intending to apply for an F-1 student visa must complete the Visa information form and submit it along with a bank statement or letter indicating proof of liquid funds.
- Photocopies of financial documentation are acceptable.
- Applicants are required to include a copy of their passport with the financial documents.
- Acceptable proof of finances for students who are privately or personally sponsored may be a bank statement or signed letter of support from a bank that states the account holdings meet the minimum total cost of attendance to fund the first-year expenses at Syracuse University.
- If the applicant is government-sponsored, they must submit a certified copy of the award letter that includes the amount of the award per year in U.S. dollars, the duration of the award, and a list of expenses covered by the award.
- It is advised to plan on expenses for the winter break and summer months in addition to the above expenses.
Language Requirements for International Students
If the applicants' native language is not English, they must prove their English proficiency by taking one of the following exams:
The score reports of these exams must be sent directly to the University from the testing service.
Minimum required scores:
- Minimum TOEFL subscores:
- Writing: 21
- Speaking, Reading, and Listening: 20
- Minimum IELTS band:
- Writing: 6.0
- Speaking, Reading, and Listening: 6.5
- Minimum Cambridge subscore: 176
Preferred English proficiency scores vary based on the college as can be seen in the table below
|College||Preferred TOEFL||Preferred IELTS||Preferred Cambridge|
|College of Arts and Sciences, College of Visual and Performing Arts||85||6.5||176|
|Whitman School of Management, School of Architecture||90||7.0||185|
|S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications||102||7.0||188|
|School of Education, College of Engineering and Computer Science, David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, School of Information Studies, College of Visual and Performing Arts||80||6.5||176|
Syracuse University Undergraduate Admissions
The undergraduate applicants must be enrolled in, or have graduated from, an accredited secondary school.
- Syracuse University requires all the undergraduate applicants to submit their standardized test scores, either the SAT or ACT. Students do not need to take the essay and writing portions of the SAT and ACT.
- Students should academically prepare themselves for college by taking a college preparatory curriculum, which includes four years of English, science, social studies, and mathematics, and a minimum of three years of a foreign language.
- Official secondary school transcript.
- Senior year grade report.
- Standardized test scores: SAT or ACT.
- Secondary school counselor evaluation.
- Two academic recommendations.
- Early decision agreement (if applying through ED).
Syracuse University Graduate Admissions
Syracuse University offers graduate degrees in over 200 programs across 13 schools and colleges. The applications for graduate programs are accepted through an online application. Syracuse University’s individual schools and colleges may have additional application requirements, which will be detailed once the applicant begins their application.
All students will be required to submit:
- Official transcript
- Letters of recommendation (LOR) (as required by the program being applied to)
- Personal statement
- Portfolio (if required by the program)
- Writing sample (if required by the program)
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (if required by the program)
- Official TOEFL/IELTS scores (international students only)
- Military transcripts (for currently serving or veteran)
International students must ensure the following before sending their documents:
- All original transcripts should be translated to English, and notarized by each Registrar’s Office.
- The document(s) must bear the appropriate signatures and seal of the institution that issued it.
- The documents must be received by Syracuse University in a sealed envelope directly from that institution.
Syracuse University Graduate Courses Admissions
|Course||Application Portal||Application Deadline||Application Fee||Academic Requirements||Minimum English Language Proficiency|
|MBA||Online Portal||Round I: November 30|
Round II: January 15
Round III: March 1
Round IV: April 19
|75 USD||A U.S. bachelor's degree or its equivalent; Minimum GPA: 3.0 on a 4.0 scale; Minimum GMAT score: 600; 2 LORs; Resume; 1 Essay; Video Component||Minimum TOEFL score: 100|
TOEFL Speaking score: 24
|M.S. Civil Engineering||CollegeNet Graduate Application||Domestic: July 1 International: June 1||75 USD||Academic Credentials; LORs; GRE scores; 500-word Personal Statement; Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)||IELTS: 6.5|
|M.S. Computer Science||CollegeNet Graduate Application||Domestic: July 1 International: June 1||75 USD||Academic Credentials; LORs; GRE Scores; 500-word Personal Statement; Resume or CV||IELTS: 6.5|
|M.S. Applied Data Science||Graduate Program Application||Fall: June 1|
Spring: October 15
|75 USD||Official academic credentials; 500-word personal statement; 2 LORs; GRE Exam Scores; Resume or CV Video Submission||TOEFL|
|M.S. Electrical Engineering||Online Portal||Domestic: July 1 International: June 1||75 USD||Academic Credentials; LORs; GRE scores; 500-word Personal Statement; Resume or CV||IELTS: 6.5|
After application submission:
- Students may check the status of their application via MySlice after the completion of their application. Here, they can view any missing material items to complete their application.
- The accepted students will receive their Intent to Register via email from the university. Students should complete and return it to formally accept their offer of admission.
- If the student’s chosen program requires an advance tuition deposit, it can be made on MySlice.
Syracuse University is quite favorable for international students as it is a welcoming community of students and scholars from more than 120 countries. More than 4000 international students are enrolled in the university, and make up about 20% of the total student body.