Valparaiso University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Valparaiso University was established in 1859 as one of the nation’s first co-educational colleges. It is a selective and independent institution in Valparaiso, Indiana. The university goes by the name Valpo among students and offers studies in liberal arts, professional training and graduate study. Valparaiso offers admissions to more than 70 majors in 5 undergraduate colleges, a graduate school and law school.
The university founded the Christ College in 1967, its honors college, the third oldest in the U.S. The Honor College has produced 8 Fulbright award winners in the last 2 years. The college has study centers in England, Germany, Costa Rica and China. In 2017 the university completed 100 years of sororities and 50 years of Christ College.
The University’s business school is among the top 5% in the world with AACSB Accreditation. The Arts and Science division of the University witnesses the highest enrollment followed by the Nursing and Health Profession and Engineering. Also, the University is highly ranked in the Midwest with costs lower than many regional private universities and has extremely competitive education costs for graduate programs. It is well-known for its excellent teaching and has maintained its rankings consistently making it a coveted institution to study in the U.S.
Valparaiso University Rankings
The University has established its quality mark among other institutions in the U.S. by achieving prominent rankings on various education portals. Some of these include:
- U.S. News and World Report 2020 has ranked the University as:
- #153 in National Universities
- #76 in Best Undergraduate Teaching
- #29 in Best Value Schools
- #13 in Best Undergraduate Teaching
- #254 in Top Performers on Social Mobility
- According to THE World University Rankings, the university is at the 261st position in U.S. College Rankings 2020.
|Mode of Program||Full-time|
|Campus Housing Capacity||60%|
|Admission help email@example.com|
Valparaiso University Campus
- The campus of Valparaiso University spreads up to 350 acres with 60 academic and residential buildings.
- There are more than 100 student organizations and clubs for students to indulge socially.
- The campus of the University is located at a distance of one-hour from Chicago.
- The campus has state-of-art facilities that include campus-wide available internet access for its students.
- The Centre for the Arts on campus consists of a theatre which can accommodate 275 people; the recital hall has a 170 seat accommodation and has a museum for art.
- The Harre Student Union is a 202,000 square foot hub for students for meetings, recreational activities, computer lab, and book store and has 2 dining options for students.
- There are four gyms, an indoor track and pool, racquetball courts and a fitness center providing cardio machines and weights.
Valparaiso University Residence
- The campus has 8 residential halls and apartment complexes, which houses about 2000 undergraduate students.
- All enrolled students need to stay in University-approved housing.
- The first years and upper-class students have separately allocated residential halls.
- First-year students are assigned rooms in Alumni, Lankenau and Brandt Halls with the first-floors reserved by upper-classmen.
- Beacon Hall, Guild/Memorial Hall, Wehrenberg Hall or the Sorority Housing Complex is predominantly occupied by upper-classmen.
- Students who have stayed for four semesters or more become eligible for living on-campus apartments.
- The rooms are furnished and have:
- Twin XL size bed and mattress
- Desk with chair
- Closet/ wardrobe
- Dresser or shared dresser drawers
- Window coverings – blinds or drapes
- Washers and dryers are available in all residential facilities
- Internet facilities (one data connection per room
- 24-hour computer lab with printers available
Valparaiso University Courses
- Valparaiso University offers 70 majors and 40 graduate programs.
- Programs are offered in disciplines like Arts and Sciences, Business, Engineering, Nursing and Health Professions, etc.
- The college even has 50 + study abroad programs in Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, Central America, and South America.
- The college also has a business school that offers programs in 8 business disciplines. The school maintains a 96% placement rate and 100% of students get the opportunity to participate in internships.
- The University’s program in Engineering is also ranked #13 nationally with a 97% employment rate within 6 months from graduation.
Valparaiso University Application Process
Valparaiso University had an acceptance rate of 86% in fall 2019 which implies that the admission process is lightly selective. The University has nearly 3.7% of international students from 38 different countries.
How to Apply?
The process for admission to Valparaiso University has been discussed below:
Application Fee: 50 USD
Application Deadline: Summer – March 15; Fall – May 15
Student Class Profile:
- Average high school GPA: 3.76
- Average SAT score (on a scale of 1600): 1185
- Average ACT score: 26
Admission Requirements: The following documents must be submitted at the time of application:
- An official copy of transcripts must be brought into the university a sealed and stamped envelope that was sent directly by the school, directly by a credential evaluator such as WES or ECE, directly from a government sponsoring organization or EducationUSA officer.
- Transcripts with both original and English translation need to be submitted of all universities where the student was enrolled in.
- A scanned copy of the passport of both the sides clearly showing the photo of the applicant.
- SAT, ACT, A and O levels or IB test scores are required for undergraduate student admission.
- Graduate program applicants must submit a reflective essay summarizing: 1.Why are you interested in studying in the United States? 2. Why are you applying to Valparaiso University? 3. Your interest in the degree program. 4. How this program impacts your professional development?
- Professional or academic recommendation letters
- Proof of financial support
- English language proficiency test scores: The minimum requirements of these test scores are tabulated below:
|SAT (Reading and writing)||500|
|ACT (English score)||24|
|Duolingo English Test*||100|
*Note: Due to the current situation of the pandemic the university is also accepting the Duolingo English Test (online tests that can be taken at home).
Valparaiso University Cost of Attendance
- Valparaiso University has defined the cost of attendance for undergraduate and graduate students separately.
- The costs to be incurred by undergraduates including the expenses on living are tabulated below:
|Expenditure Item||Student living on-campus||Student living off-campus||Commuter students|
|Tuition per semester||41,940 USD||41,940 USD||41,940 USD|
|General Fee||1,346 USD||1,346 USD||1,346 USD|
|Room||7,800 USD||5,400 USD||0 (living with parents)|
|Meals||4,820 USD||3,500 USD approx.||3,500 USD approx.|
|Books and Supplies||1,200 USD||1,200 USD||1,200 USD|
|Personal||1,620 USD||1,620 USD||1,620 USD|
|Total Cost of Attendance||58,726 USD||58,006 USD||49.606 USD|
- Graduate programs have varying costs per credit. Some popular programs and their charges are given below for reference:
|Program||Credit per hour|
|Master’s degree programs||650 USD|
|Graduate certificate programs||650 USD|
|Master of Business Administration||833 USD|
|Master in Health Administration||715 USD|
|Master of Science in Nursing||715 USD|
|Master of Public Health and Occupational Therapy||715 USD|
|Master of Education in Humane Education||555 USD|
|Master of Arts in Humane Education||555 USD|
Valparaiso University Scholarships/Financial Aid
- 98% of the students receive financial aid from the college.
- Students receive an average financial aid package of 38,000 USD.
- The university offers scholarships to international students to help them cover the costs of studying in the U.S.
- The students need to apply for admission, submit their Valpo one page #YouArewelcomeHere application with a 500-1000 word essay or a 2-5 minute video stating their leadership role in the student’s present school and how they will be continuing those skills in the college. This award covers 50% of the tuition fee.
- Freshmen students are automatically considered for some scholarships. The amount of such scholarships is determined by a combination of high school GPA, SAT and ACT scores. Some of these scholarships available for students entering the class of 2020-21 are as follows:
|Name of Scholarship||Scope of Award||Eligibility Criteria|
|Board of Directors Scholarship||30,000 USD||Awarded to freshmen applicants based on high school GPA, SAT or ACT.|
|Presidential Scholarship||24,000 – 27,000 USD|
|Honors Scholarship||22,000 – 23,000 USD|
Valparaiso University Alumni Network
Valparaiso University has a global alumni network of more than 60,000 individuals. Some notable members are:
- Lloyd McClendon - American former professional baseball player who is currently the bench coach for the Detroit Tigers of the MLB.
- Eugene E. Parker - American sports agent known for representing Deion Sanders and many NFL athletes.
- Lowell Thomas - American writer, broadcaster and traveler best known for publicizing T.E. Lawrence.
Valparaiso University Placements
Valparaiso University has a 97% employment rate post graduation. The career centre of the university provides various options to students and alumni by assisting them in finding an internship and jobs after graduation in the U.S. Graduates of the University are employed by health care, management, manufacturing, accounting, engineering, and marketing sectors, etc. Students of the university have interned at places like NASA, Adidas, Caterpillar, Paramount Studios, etc.
FIND A PROGRAM
Application Portal : https://www.valpo.edu/admission/apply/
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
It had the exact subject I was interested in. And it was near Chicago. One of the biggest hubs for economics.
Course Curriculum :
It is very much up to date. For example we did a lot of study on how COVID was hampering the worlds economy and finance.
The curriculum matches with my interest in technology.I found that it will be benefited for me if I learn them.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum is well selected for the students who wants to pursue masters in Information Technology.
I visited Valparaiso college during my graduation and was impressed with the infra structure and prestige of the college, therefore I decided to pursue my masters from this college. I paid around $50 for the application fee through the college application portal.
Course Curriculum :
My program gives certificate to enhance our skills and it gives leadership potential to the students.
I came to know about my college from a counseling agency in Kolkata who guided me to apply in four colleges in the US. I got selected in Valparaiso university first and took admission in this college. I paid an application fee of around $ 60 and applied through an online mode.
Course Curriculum :
I love everything about this curriculum. It's an updated curriculum where I learned a lot about programming languages, algorithms, and reasoning computations. My presentation and communication skill has increased a lot through this course
This was my dream to pursue this course as my career. I have done my high school with maths subject as I love to solve problems. Mechanics is my favorite area to work then I decided to have my career in this area only. After big research, I stopped at this college and filled the application form and paid $50.
Course Curriculum :
Focused areas of my course curriculum by my department are about professional studies grounded in engineering fundamentals. With this, there is a proper section which deals with the development of interpersonal skills.
- Bus Station
- Super Market
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary