The College of William & Mary is a public research university located at Williamsburg, Virginia, United States. Established in 1693, it is the second-oldest institution of higher education in the United States, after Harvard University.
The university offers 80 programs at undergraduate and graduate levels. The most popular majors offered are –
- Social Sciences
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies
- Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services
- Parks, Recreation, Leisure, and Fitness Studies
Why Choose College of William & Mary?
- The university had a financial endowment of USD 874.1 million in 2017.
- One of only eight Public Ivies in the nation offering superior education at a cost lower than Private Ivy League schools.
- Earl Gregg Swem Library comprises of more than 2 million volumes.
- Alumni consists of four of the first ten presidents of the United States, four United States Supreme Court justices, dozens of United States senators and representatives and current entertainers.
|Annual Endowment||962 millionUSD|
|Student Retention Rate||95%|
|Mode of Program||Full time; Part time; online|
|Campus housing facility||72%|
|Annual cost of Attendance||58,441 USD|
College of William & Mary Schools and Programs
The college offers over 40 graduate and professional degree programs through one faculty and four schools:
- Arts and Sciences
- Raymond A. Mason School of Business
- William & Mary School of Education
- William & Mary School of Law
- William & Mary’s Virginia Institute of Marine Science
Campus Housing Facilities at College of William & Mary
College of William & Mary has a 1,200-acre campus in Williamsburg, Virginia. In 2011, the magazine Travel + Leisure named William & Mary as one of the most beautiful college campuses in the United States. The campus also has Muscarelle Museum of Art.
The university can accommodate 72% of the student population in residences on campus. It also helps students seek off-campus residences.
College of William & Mary Admission Process
Pre-Requisites for Admission into College of William & Mary
- Test score: SAT/ACT for UG students; GRE/GMAT for Graduate students
- English language proficiency test score: TOEFL; IELTS (applicable only for graduate students)
- CV or Resume
- Letters of recommendation
- A statement of objective
- Apply directly through the online application portal on the official website
- Each department has its own website and its own set of requirements
- Application deadline varies for each program
- Application fee for undergraduate/graduate students: $75
Costs and Expenses of studying at College of William & Mary
The estimated average annual expense for a year at College of William & Mary is shown below –
|Expenses||Cost (Amount in USD)|
|Room & Board||12,236|
|Books, travel and incidentals||3,862|
Scholarships and Financial Aids offered by College of William & Mary
- The institution typically meets 100% of demonstrated financial need for students.
- The average need based scholarship offered by the institute USD 17,558.
- 38% of students receive some form of financial aid.
College of William & Mary Alumni
The College of William & Mary has a network of 98,851 people as its alumni. These alumni enjoy the following benefits offered by the college –
- Insurance Program
- Free use of Colonial Williamsburg's shuttle service
- Access to the Historic Area and art museums
- Travel trips
A few Notable Alumni are –
- Thomas Jefferson, Former President of the United States
- Robert M. Gates, Former U.S. Secretary of Defense
- Christina Romer, Former Chair of U.S. Council of Economic Advisors
- Jon Stewart , The Daily Show
- David M. Brown, NASA astronaut
- Thomas A. Shannon, Jr, Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs
- James Comey, Former Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation