Hans Raj College is a constituent college of the University of Delhi, in New Delhi, India. The college offers studies in Science, Liberal Arts and Commerce. The college was founded on July 26, 1948 by the D.A.V. College Managing Committee in the memory of Mahatama Hans Raj. The college buildings were finally installed by the Honourable President of India Dr. Rajendra Prasad on 3rd October 1954.
- The college is proud of its alumni who have excelled in every walk of life, be it public life, armed forces, civil services, private and public sectors, judiciary, television and media
- The faculty members have made significant contribution not only to the corporate life of the college but also shaped the social, cultural and academic life of the nation
- The College today relishes a status for outstanding performance in every sector among top 10 colleges of the country in Commerce, Arts and Science stream
The college over its 60 years since establishment has given many alumni, some of them are:
- Gaurav Aggrawal, Founder at MazaaAatiHai.com
- Rabindra Narayan, Director/President PTC NETWORK of TV Channels
- Partha Dasgupta, Frank Ramsey Professor of Economics, Cambridge University
- Lobsang Sangay, Kalon Tripa (Prime Minister), Tibetan Government-in-exile
- Jai Prakash Agarwal, member of Parliament, Chairman house committee, Lok Sabha party, Congress
The College encourages its students to take part in extracurricular activities. Some of the important societies/groups are:
- NSS: NSS unit Hans Raj is a committed body of students of various disciplines whose aim is to serve the society in every possible way. Padaku is the major program for teaching underprivileged students by some of the bright NSS volunteers
- SPIC MACAY: It promotes Indian classical music, Indian classical dance, and other aspects of Indian culture. In order to achieve its goals, it organizes concerts, lectures, demonstrations, informal discussions, and seminars.
- English Debating Society: It is one of the most prestigious societies in the college. It organizes for main annual events - The Shanti Narayan Memorial National Debate, the Hans Raj Fresher’s Parliamentary Debate, and the Acropolis Parliamentary Debate.
- Insignia: It is the English Literary Society. The society undertakes an excess of activities including movie discussion sessions, book reading sessions, talks, seminars, art and photography discussions, orientation sessions, and critical acumen building sessions.
Some of the other societies are:
- History Society
- Swaranjali, The Music Society
- Terpsichorean, The Choreography Society
- Hindi Literary Society
- Dramatics Society
- Botanical Society
- Ordinateur, The Computer Science Society
- Haritma, Environment Awareness Committee
- The Chemical Society
- Lumen: Spreading The Light Of Knowledge
- Sanskrit Literary Society
Hans Raj College provides all required standard facilities to the students so that they face no obstruction in studies and can become world class professionals. Some of the facilities are:
The College provides a library which includes 4 sections: individual departmental libraries (Sciences), the text book sections, the main library, and the periodicals.
• Rich collection of more than 1, 35, 000 titles
• About 98 periodicals published in India plus abroad
• Book bank facility is available for needy students
• Internet facility
• The college provides a fully air conditioned auditorium
• It has professional audio, lighting and digital projection systems
• Seating capacity of 500 persons
The College has facilities for both outdoor and indoor games
- Extensive playfields for outdoor games
- There is a sports complex having an air conditioned state of the art electronic shooting range, indoor badminton court and many other indoor gaming facilities
• The College has four well-equipped and well-managed computer laboratories
• Approximately 130 machines from HCL, HP and IBM + LCD Projectors
• An interactive board are available along with all necessary peripherals
• Internet facility is available
Hans Raj College conducts festivals which are managed by the students themselves, regularly so that they can learn management techniques and leadership skills. Some of the festivals are:
- Confluence – It is the annual fest organized by the Students' Union. It is a grand mix of glamour and also provides an excellent policy for students to put their organizational, intellectual, and managerial powers.
- Cynosure is the Annual Technical Festival hosted by Ordinateur, the Computer Science Society of Hans Raj College.
Hans Raj College has constantly been rated among the best colleges in the country by prestigious publications and other sources because of the top quality academic education provided to the students.
Top 10 Arts, Science and Commerce colleges in India
3rd and 7th among Commerce, Science and Arts Colleges in Delhi University Colleges