Karlstad University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1997, Karlstad University is located in Karlstad, Sweden. It strives for international outlook and has partnered over 200 institutes across the world such as in Germany, France, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India, China, Korea, and Japan.
One of the youngest universities in Sweden, it has over 16,000 undergraduate students with over 230 research students.
Karlstad University offers undergraduate and graduate courses in over 80 programs across 700 courses.
Karlstad University Rankings
- Ranked 801st - 1000th in the World University Rankings 2020 by Times Higher Education.
- Ranked 201st - 250th in the Young University Rankings 2020 by Times Higher Education.
- Ranked 251-300 in the category of Business and Economics by Times Higher Education.
- Ranked 18th in the country and 1647th in the world by CUWR.
|Cost of Living||40,400 SEK (per 5 months)|
|Number of Students||16,250|
|Academic Calendar||Semester Based (5 months)|
|Medium Of Instruction||English and Swedish|
|Application Fee||900 SEK|
|Tuition Fee||Individual programs: 95,000 SEK to 245,000 SEK
All courses: 2,500 SEK (expect English taught Master programs)
+46 54-700 10 00
Karlstad University Campus
- The university campus has a beautiful and convenient infrastructure. It has a vibrant student life with a perfect blend of work and pleasure.
- It includes unique features like the egg-shaped multimedia studios, library building, Vanern building, study areas, lecture theatres, classrooms, etc.
- It has two schools:
- Karlstad Business School
- Ingesund School of Music
Karlstad University Residence
Karlstad University does not provide for the campus residence but assists in managing houses and other residences for the students to live near the university with ease.
- The university offers housing facilities through a dwelling company called the KBAB and has a partnership with it.
- The international students are required to obtain a residence permit before arriving in Sweden in order to live there and study.
- The KBAB manages 7,500 rental apartments and helps students with the suitable rents and apartments available nearby the university.
Karlstad University Programs
- It offers undergraduate and graduate programs through two faculties:
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Health, Science and Technology
- It has two schools: Karlstad Business School and Ingesund School of Music.
- Some of the popular bachelor programs include European Studies, Social Work, Electrical Engineering, International Studies, Law Program, Social Analysis, Innovation and Design Engineering, Nursing, etc.
- Some of the popular master programs include Educational Leadership and School Development, Marketing, History, Social Analysis, Special Education, Ecology, And Conservation Biology, etc.
- Other programs include Biology, Business Administration, Cultural Studies, Dance, Economics, Public Health Science, Statistics, Sports Science, etc.
Karlstad University Admissions
Application Portal: Applicants can apply for the Karlstad University admissions through the universityadmissions.se portal.
Application Fee: 900 SEK
Intake Sessions: Autumn and Spring
|Sessions/Programs||Nomination Deadlines||Application Deadlines|
|Spring||October 1||October 15|
|Autumn||April 1||April 15|
|Master Degree Programs||February 15||March 1|
- Completed Application
- The student should be nominated by his/her home institution for the university.
- Official Transcripts
- A 1-2 page letter of motivation
- Learning Agreement
- Letter of Recommendation
- Residence Permit
- Health Insurance
English language Requirements:
|IELTS||For English 5 [5.5 (no section under 5.0)]
For English 6 [6.5 (no section under 5.5)]
For English 7 [7.0 (no section under 6.0)]
|TOEFL||PBT- 4.0 to 4.5 iBT- 17 to 20|
|Cambridge Michigan Language Assessments||English 6|
|PTE||47 to 68|
|Cambridge ESOL||180 to 200 points For English 5- grade A, B or C|
Karlstad University Cost of Attendance
The tuition fee of the university is only applicable to free movers i.e. students from outside Sweden and the students of EU/EEA countries are free from tuition fee payments.
|Degrees||Tuition Fee Range|
|Individual Programs||95,000 SEK to 2,35,000 SEK|
|Per Credit Charge for Masters||2,500 SEK|
Cost Of Living
|Rent for Accommodation||19,000 SEK|
|Medical and personal care||1,000 SEK|
|Literature Course||4,000 SEK|
|Entertainment Expenses||3,000 SEK|
|Total (per 5 months)||40,400 SEK (8,080 per month)|
Karlstad University Financial Aid
- The university offers Karlstad University Global Scholarship that covers the tuition fee payments of the students.
- Students can apply for it once they have paid the application fee.
- The application deadline for the scholarship is December 1 to February 1.
- Scholarship is likely to cover 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% of the tuition fees of the students.
- Besides the Global scholarship, the students can also apply for the Swedish Institute Study Scholarships.
- The Swedish Institute offers more than 500 scholarships each year for the students to cover their costs while living in Sweden.
Karlstad University Alumni
- It has a large network of alumni. The university also has an official alumni group for international alumni called the Karlstad University International Alumni Network.
- It hosts events and reunions and each year awards the alumni of the year.
- Alumni Ambassadors- The alumni become the face of the university and represent their studies and knowledge in different areas and fields in various places.
Karlstad University Placements
- Most of the programs require internships to complete the degree requirements.
- The students can carry out their practical placements in the form of internships or traineeships.
- The students can find related placements through Erasmusintern.org or Erasmus.com.
- The students can also apply for the Erasmus+ traineeship which will be 510 – 615 EURO per month.
Find a Program
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
Times Higher Education
Ranked #801 - #1000
Ranked #301 - #400
Ranked #301 - #400
International Business (International)
Ranked #401 - #500
Ranked #801 - #1000
Studying at this university was one of my obvious choices for masters after completing my Biology from my home country. I worked hard to get good scores in my bachelor's so that I could get into this university. I applied to this university through an online application (cost - SEK 900). My fluency in the Swedish language also helped me to take admission in the university.
Course Curriculum :
My curriculum focuses on Ecology and Conservation. It is allowing me to deepen my knowledge of ecology and conservation. The program of study begins with the new resilience-based course on Ecosystem Stewardship, which provides an overview of ecosystem services and their management. The curriculum follows an applied Ecological Resource Management and finishes with an Advanced Methods course. We are also given space for elective courses to sharpen our focus.
- Bus Station
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary