Top Universities for Masters in Marketing in Canada: Admission Eligibility, Cost, Scholarships & Scope
Canadian Universities offer two types of graduate Marketing courses: Marketing MBA, which is a specialization and a professional course and, MSc in Marketing, a research-based course. Both courses are offered full-time for 2 years and part-time for 4 years in Canada for study. The cost of studying Masters in Marketing in Canada for one year is approximately 40,000 USD.
International students enrolled in MSc Marketing are offered both university-specific and government-funded scholarships in Canada, ranging from 7,500 USD to 16,500 USD. Students pursuing a Masters in Marketing in Canada can expect salaries starting from around 37,000 USD up to 78,000 USD annually. The job growth rate is expected to increase by 10% on an average in the upcoming years.
Marketing MBA V/S MSc in Marketing in Canada
Admissions to MSc in Marketing are though lesser than Marketing MBA, yet more and more students are opting for the former course to gain in-depth knowledge in the field for the same. The following table discusses the distinction between Marketing MBA and MSc in Marketing in Canada:
|Factors||Marketing MBA||MSc in Marketing|
|Basic difference||Specialization of MBA||Full-time research-based degree|
|Duration||1 year (after 1 year of MBA)||2 years (if full-time) and 4 years (if part-time)|
|Focuses on||Advertising, branding, market research, global/online/digital marketing.||Designing marketing research, marketing theory, consumer behaviour, research design, etc.|
|Expected starting salaries||40,000 USD to 100,000 USD||60,000 USD to 110,000 USD|
|Job Profiles||Brand Manager, Operations Manager, Marketing Channel Strategies, etc.||Market Analyst, Marketing Director, Marketing Manager, Sales Manager, etc.|
Masters in Marketing in Canada Admission Process
Admission process for pursuing Masters in Marketing in Canada for international students does not vary much, in comparison to domestic students. Other than the supporting documents and English language proficiency proof which are additionally required from international students.
Eligibility Criteria: MSc in Marketing in Canada
The following table shows the eligibility criteria on the basis of which international students are given admissions in MSc in Marketing in Canada:
|Eligibility Criteria||Concordia University||University of Saskatchewan||Queen’s University||University of Guelph||York University|
|UG degree duration||4 years||4 years||4 years||4 years||3 years**|
|Avg Score in UG degree||A- average||70%||77%||B average||B+ average|
* GMAT may be waived, if the applicant has completed his/her undergraduate degree from a recognized Canadian University.
** 3 years of bachelors may be accepted if students are able to prove that they have one year of work experience.
Masters in Marketing in Canada Admission Requirements
International students are required to furnish the following admission requirements in Canada to pursue MSc in Marketing.
- How to apply for Masters in Marketing in Canada?: Students can apply via the official website of the respective university.
- Supporting Documents: The following documents are required to be submitted post-admission offer is made from the respective university. These are as follows:
- Transcripts of high school and college/university.
- Recent and updated CV with details about work experience if any.
- At least 3 academic references, 2 from academicians. The third one can be from the one the applicant has worked under.
- Statement of Intent or Research which must include the research topics and experience in the same.
- Test Score of either GRE or GMAT is also required for admission to the MSc in Marketing in Canada.
- English Language Proficiency: The following table shows the minimum scores required for admission to the MSc in Marketing in Canada:
|Test Name||Concordia University||University of Saskatchewan||Queen’s University||University of Guelph||York University|
Cost of Studying MSc in Marketing in Canada
Approximately 40,000 USD is required for one year to study MSc in Marketing in Canadian Universities for international students, all expenses included. This cost also includes one-time payments which are not required to be paid in the second year of study.
When applying for a Masters in Marketing in Canada, the international applicants will have to spend on the given requirements to be eligible for admission.
|Expenses||Cost (in USD)|
|Visa Application Fee||235|
|Meals||45 (per meal in a day)|
|Travel||25 (per day)|
These expenses are usually incurred on the regular requirements of an applicant while they stay in Canada. Some of the costs incurred on a monthly basis by applicants pursuing Masters in Marketing are as follows:
- Meal Plans: 3,700 USD to 4,950 USD
- Transportation Costs: 82 USD (U-Pass)
- Personal Expenses: 2,000 USD approximately
Masters in Marketing in Canada include annual expenses like tuition fees, accommodation costs and cost of books and other educational supplies. The following table gives a detailed summary of the costs that will be incurred university wise:
|University Name||Annual Tuition (in USD)||Living Costs (in USD)||Educational Supplies (in USD)|
|University of Saskatchewan||9,780||5,810||1,520|
|University of Guelph||15,510||6,290||950|
MSc in Marketing in Canada with Scholarships
Since MSc in Marketing is offered at few Canadian universities, scholarships are mostly common for both domestic and international applicants. Scholarships can range from 7,500 USD to 16,500 USD for merit-based only. The following scholarships are offered in Canada to prospective Marketing students:
- At Queen’s University, Smith School of Business offers 16,500 USD across 3 terms to students enrolled for a full-time course in MSc in Marketing in Canada.
- John Molson School of Business at Concordia University offers 7,500 USD through Montreal based national bank to MSc students every year.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship: This is a merit-based scholarship offered to 22 international students at Ontario Universities. An amount of 11,325 USD is offered every year to students under the OGS Program.
Job Opportunities for MSc Marketing Postgraduates
According to Indeed (Canada), more than 432 job opportunities are available for both domestic and international students holding an MSc degree in Marketing.
The following table shows the expected increase in job opportunities for students with a Masters in Marketing degree:
|Post Name||Expected Growth Rate||Average Starting Salary (in USD)|
|Advertising & Promotions Manager||6%||36,100|
|Market Research Analyst||20%||78,000|
Since the number of jobs will increase to an average 10% it can be assumed that more and more admissions to MSc in Marketing in Canadian Universities is expected in the upcoming admission sessions. Hence, more admissions can also be expected in Masters in Marketing in Canada for the same.