Periyar Institute of Distance Education (PRIDE) is a directorate Periyar University for distance education. The institute offers Undergraduate and Postgraduate Arts, Science, Commerce, and Management. PRIDE also offers some Diploma and Certificate courses in professional studies. Admission to the courses is merit-based and the application process for the same is both online and offline.
|Established | Institute Type||2001 | Public|
|Approved by||University Grand Commission (UGC)|
|Affiliated to||Periyar University|
|Courses offered||UG and PG|
|Admission Mode||Online and Offline|
|Facilities Available||Medical Center, Networking Center, and Hostel|
|Undergraduate||BA, BCom, BBA, and BCA
Subjects in BA: Tamil, English, History, Political Science, Economics, Journalism & Mass Communication
|Postgraduate||M.A. (Tamil) and MCom|
|Professional programs||MBA and MCA|
Read More: PRIDE Courses and Fee
- Admission to the B.A program is eligible on Passing 10,+2, or 10+ITI (2 Years Course) or 10+3 years polytechnic diploma.
- Admission to the M.A program is eligible for Passing any degree from a recognized university with those specialized subjects.
- Admission to the B.Com program is eligible for passing in HSC (or) 3 years Diploma.
- Admission to M.Com program is eligible on passing B.Com/ B.Com(CA)/ B.Com (E-Com) B.B.M/ B.B.M (CA) /B.B.A/ B.C.S., B.CS.(CA)/ B.Com (CS)/ B.Com (CS) with C.A/ B.Com (Co-operation) B.Com (Co. Operation) with CA and Bachelors degree in Bank Management.
- Admission to B.B.A program is eligible on passing the HSC examination (Academic or Vocational Stream)10+ 3Year diploma
- Admission to B.C.A is eligible on passing +2 with mathematics or business mathematics or computer science or statistics (academic or vocational stream) or 10+3 years diploma
- Admission to M.C.A. Master of Computer Application is eligible for passing B.C.A., B.Sc. Computer Science /Computer Technology/Information Technology or any degree with mathematics at +2 level or with at least one paper in mathematics or statistics at degree level.
- Admission to M.B.A. Master of Business Administration is eligible on passing in any degree course candidate who has completed the study under (11+1+3)/10+2+3/ 10+3 (Dip)+3 (UG).
How to apply?
Applicants can apply online as well as offline for all courses.
For Online Application: Applicants must visit the official website Periyar University and fill the application form. Upload a scanned copy of all the required documents. Pay the application fee of INR 500 by Credit/ Debit Card or through Net- Banking. Submit and save the application form for future reference.
For Offline Application: Visit the official website of Periyar University and fill the application form. Download the course-specific application form. Fill the form and pay the application fee of INR 500 (INR 1000 for B.Ed) in the form of DD drawn in favor of PRIDE, Periyar University payable at Salem can be submitted to Study Centre or sent to University address by post.
Read More: PRIDE Admission
The university is well-constructed with humongous infrastructure and has a lot of facilities for students.
- Students Amenity Centre: Top priority is always given for the student's welfare. The various issues pertaining to their academic research activities are taken care of. Internet facility with 100 terminals has been dedicated to the students’ usage. Photocopiers, printers, and stationery are made available to them.
- Medical Centre: The Periyar University Health Centre functions in the Amenities Centre. One Medical Officer will be available from 4.00 p.m to 5.00 p.m on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The teaching and Non-teaching staff and the regular P.G., M.Phil., and Ph.D. students can avail of medical consultation at the above-mentioned timings.
- Networking Facility: The University has launched 1 Gbps Internet connectivity to increase Internet usage and to promote ICT enabled soft skill program. The Departments and the Library are likely to be linked with OFC for effective usage of the resources.
- Internet Centre: Internet Centre was established in 2012. The lab contains 61 PCs that are used to provide the needs of the students in browsing and mailing. It is highly imperative for scholars and students to use the Internet in order to download their research and course materials. Internet resources like search engines provide the facility for the students to download relevant information. Another significant use of the Internet is that the students can also update their knowledge in the latest trends in the technical fields.
- Bank: A branch of Canara Bank is rendering services to the teachers, students and to the public at the university campus. Canara Bank and State Bank of India ATMs are available inside the campus.
- Post Office: The Post Office is located in PRIDE building for the benefit of students, teachers and the general public. All the facilities including the savings scheme are available here.
Hostel Facility: Periyar University has three hostels namely Ladies Hostel separately for PG and Research Scholars and a Gents Hostel. All hostels are equipped with basic and modern facilities with adequate guest rooms to accommodate the guests visiting the University for academic purposes.
Ques. What are the constituent colleges of Periyar University?
Ans. The University has five constituents college.
- Periyar University Arts and Science College, Mettur Dam, Salem
- Periyar University Arts and Science College, Pennagaram, Dharmapuri
- Periyar University College of Arts & Science, Harur, Dharmapuri
- Periyar University College of Arts & Science, Pappiredipatty, Dharmapuri
- Periyar University College of Arts & Science, Iddapadi, Salem
Ques. What are the documents required at the time of Ph.D. admission?
Ans. Documents required at the time of admission to the Ph.D. program is as follows:
- Copies of Class 10 and 12 Marksheet
- Copies of Provisional or Degree, Certificates of UG, PG, and M. Phil.
- Copies of Mark Statements or Consolidated Mark Statements of PG Degree
- Copy of Community Certificate
- Copies of Mark Statements or Consolidated Mark Statements of PG Degree
- Copy of Common Entrance Test Result / SET / NET/ GATE clearance Certificates
- Service Certificate as on date and No Objection Certificate obtained from the concerned Institution (for Part-Time Candidates only)
- The differently-abled candidate should support their claim with suitable Certificate
Ques. How is an MBA from Periyar University Distance Education?
Ans. Distance MBA from Periyar University is a good option. It is easily comparable with any other university in India including the CUSAT, Kerala. The MBA from PRIDE is specialized in International Business, Textile, marketing, Finance, Transport, and Human Resource Management and the fee for the whole program is INR 20,000.
Ques. How to fill the offline application at Periyar University?
Ans: Visit the official website of Periyar University and fill the application form. Download the course-specific application form. Fill the form and pay the application fee of INR 500 (INR 1000 for B.Ed) in the form of DD drawn in favor of PRIDE, Periyar University payable at Salem can be submitted to Study Centre or sent to University address by post.
Ques. How is the faculty of Periyar University?
Ans. The faculty of Periyar University is highly qualified with Ph.D. degrees in their specialized areas. The faculty is also experienced in their areas of interest. The teachers are friendly and support students in issues related to studies and career opportunities.