Table of Contents
GATE Registration Process, Eligibility, Pattern, Syllabus and Preparation Tips
GATE is a national level exam conducted every for admission into various programs offered by the prestigious institute of India like IITs, NITs, etc. Other than admissions in M.Tech programs, GATE Scores are used by various PSUs for the recruitment of eligible candidates at various positions. Some of the PSUs are DRDO, IOCL, ONGC, NTPC, BHEL, etc.
- IIT Bombay, conducting body of GATE 2021 has recently announced the exam dates along with the relaxation in eligibility criteria. Moreover, two new subjects have also been added this year and also the candidates are allowed to sit for a maximum of 2 papers from this year. Read More
- The registration process has started and candidates can fill the GATE 2021 Application Forms by visiting the official website till September 30, 2020.
- The exam pattern of GATE has been revised. Now, the distribution of marks in papers except AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH, ST and XL is 72% to core subject, 13% to engineering mathematics, and 15% to general aptitude.
- Soon after the declaration of result, the counselling process begins. CCMT and COAP are the GATE counselling authorities that conduct counselling process to offer admissions to qualified candidates. Read More
Table of Contents
In the 2020 session, a total of 6,85,088 candidates appeared in the examination out of which 18.8% of candidates qualified the exam and there was a total of 29 toppers. The maximum number of applications was filled for Mechanical Engineering (ME) paper and the least number of applications were filled in Ecology and Evolution (EY) with only 175 student applicants. Read the article to know more about how to prepare for GATE, score calculation, counselling process, PSU Recruitment, and much more.
GATE Exam Highlights
Candidates who are going to start their preparations for GATE must take a brief idea about the exam. Having the idea of an exam overview would make you aware of the exam mode, pattern, marking scheme, etc.
|Exam||GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)|
|Level of Exam||All India Level|
|Conducting Authority||7 IITs and IISc, Banglore on Rotational basis.|
|Official website||gate.iitb.ac.in for GATE 2021|
|Exam Mode||Computer-Based Mode|
|Number of Papers||27 Papers (ES and XH are newly added subjects)|
|Number of Test Takers||More than 8 Lakh|
Registration Trends in GATE Over the Years
- As per the official statistics, there was a drop in the number of applicants registered for GATE 2020.
- A total of 858,030 candidates had registered for GATE in 2020 which is the lowest when compared with the data of previous years.
- Out of the total number of candidates registered that year, only 685,088 candidates appeared for the exam.
Reason of Drop in GATE Registration
- One of the reasons for this 20% dip in could be the hike in fees of M.Tech Courses.
- In September 2019, IIT Council, the major decision-making body for tech schools in India had approved a proposal to increase the tuition fee of M.Tech courses.
- As per the proposal, a hike of 10% is proposed in the current fee of Rs. 20,000 which will take place in a phased manner over a period of three years.
- However, the decision has been postponed by the authorities until further proceedings.
What changes are introduced in GATE Eligibility?
The authorities have done some major changes in the eligibility criteria for GATE 2021.
- As per the new eligibility criteria of GATE, the minimum qualification requirement which was 10+2+4 (ongoing) last year has been reduced to a minimum of 10+2+3 (ongoing) for this year.
- The relaxation now enables 3rd year candidates to apply and appear for the exam
- Another major change is that the candidates can opt for 2 subjects/ papers from the prescribed set of combinations. Previously candidates were only eligible to apply for 1 paper.
As there are many Papers offered under the aptitude test, candidates are advised to carefully read the eligibility of paper they wish to apply for. Candidates not satisfying the eligibility criteria would be disqualified from the exam during any subsequent stage.
- Nationality: Indian citizens along with foreign nationals from Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Ethiopia and United Arab Emirates are eligible to appear for the National Level Post Graduate Engineering Entrance Exam.
- Age Limit: There is no minimum or maximum age limit to appear for the exam.
- Academic Qualification: Candidates passed/ appearing Bachelor's Degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Arts/ Commerce or Post Graduation in relevant discipline is considered as eligible applicants
- Qualifying Marks: To candidates relief there is no minimum percentage required to appear for the exam.
- Number of Attempts: There is no prescribed attempt limit, candidates satisfying the eligibility criteria can apply for the test.
Note: Applicants should note that the eligibility criteria are specified for GATE only. Eligibility for M.Tech admissions in IITs is decided respectively by the respective institutes.
Know More GATE Eligibility criteria
Documents Required for GATE Eligibility
- Candidates having a certificate from any professional society must ensure that it is recognized by MHRD or AICTE as equivalent to B.E/ B.Tech / B.Arch.
- If the Qualifying examination is passed in 2019 or before, they have to submit their degree certificate/ provisional certificate issued by the institute.
- In case candidates are in their final year of qualifying examination, a course certificate has to be uploaded issued by the concerned institute or Department.
What is GATE Registration Process?
There are a few mandatory steps that candidates need to follow while applying for GATE. They are-
- Registration- Candidates have to register themselves through GOAPs by entering their name, email id, and mobile number after which an enrollment id will be generated. Candidates have to change the password for the future login purpose.
- Filling of Application Form- After registration, a completed application form will appear in which the candidates have to provide personal, academic, and qualification details. candidates will have to choose the preferred exam centers while filling the online application form.
- Uploading Images- Once the candidate has filled the application form, they have to upload the scanned copy of the photograph, signature, and category certificate (if applicable) as per the specifications of the exam authority. Check How to Upload Images in GATE 2021?
- Fee Payment- Candidates have to pay the application fee in online mode i.e. through net banking/debit card/credit card.
- Application Form Submission- After completing all the steps mentioned above, candidates have to submit the application form.
GATE Application Form Correction
GATE aspirants are also provided the facility to make corrections (if any) in the application form. The official notification for GATE Application Form Correction will be released by the authority. Candidates can make changes in only a certain area of their application form. The details that can be corrected are-
- Candidate’s name
- Date of Birth
- Name of Parent
- Parent’s Mobile Number
- Correspondence Address
- Qualifying Degree Details
- Category/gender/PwD status/Dyslexia
There is a certain fee charged for application form correction. Refer to the table given below which gives detailed information on form correction fee.
|For Candidates in India||For Candidates Outside India|
|Change request in exam city within India||Rs. 400||Exam city request outside India||Rs. 740|
|Change request in exam city outside India (Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu)||Rs. 3550||Exam city change request from Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka & Kathmandu to Dubai or Singapore||Rs. 4290|
|Change request in exam city outside India (Dubai and Singapore)||Rs. 7100|
GATE Exam Pattern
The exam pattern for GATE has been released by IIT Bombay. For this year, the authorities have added two new papers i.e. Environmental Science & Engineering (ES) and Humanities and Social Sciences (XH).
- GATE paper will consist of both multiple-choice questions and numerically based questions.
- The marking scheme will be different for both types of questions.
- MCQs of 1 mark will carry a negative marking of ⅓ mark. MCQs of 2 marks will carry a negative marking of 2/3rd marks.
- Numerical based questions will not have any negative marking.
There will be one common subject in all GATE papers i.e. General Aptitude. The other subjects will vary as per the choices given by candidates. The table below is the GATE Exam Pattern for the reference of the candidates:
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Type of Questions asked|
|Number of Questions asked||65|
|Marks for a correct answer||1 Mark/2 Marks for each correct answer depending on the section.|
|Total marks allotted||100|
|Total time allotted||180 Minutes|
|Division of Marks|
General Aptitude: 15% of total marks
Engineering Mathematics: 13% of total marks Subject
Discipline opted for by candidate: 72% of total marks
Combination of Papers Allowed to Appear in GATE
Candidates are allowed to opt for 2 papers from the list of combination mentioned below in the table:
|Combination of First Paper||Codes of Papers Allowed as Second Paper|
|BM||BT / XL|
|BT||BM / XL|
|CE||AR / ES|
|CH||CY / PE / XE|
|CY||CH / XL|
|EC||IN / PH|
|ES||AG / CE|
|GG||MN / PE / PH|
|IN||EC / EE / PH|
|MA||CS / PH / ST|
|MN||GG / XE|
|MT||PH / XE|
|PE||CH / GG / XE|
|PH||EC / GG / IN / MA / MT / ST|
|ST||MA / PH|
|XE||AE / CH / ME / MN / MT / PE / PI / TF|
|XL||BM / BT / CY / EY|
Important Topics in GATE Syllabus
- The syllabus for GATE varies according to the subject chosen by a candidate. However, the one section that is common to all papers, General Aptitude, the syllabus is defined underneath.
- This section can prove to be high scoring if a candidate prepares smartly. Thus, it can help in raising the overall rank of a candidate. The section is divided into two parts - Verbal Ability and Numerical Ability.
- The aim of the section is to test a candidate’s aptitude which cannot be gained in a fortnight.
- The general aptitude portion would comprise of 15% marks and the rest 85% would be for the core subject.
- GATE syllabus is similar to the graduation level curriculum for each respective discipline. Only the general aptitude and verbal ability part (15%) is common to all the papers under GATE.
Following are the topics covered under the General Aptitude section:
How to Prepare Online and Offline for GATE?
Candidates who are planning to appear for GATE should have a preparation plan because the preparation stage is very crucial and plays an important role in the success of a candidate. So all the candidates must utilize their time effectively and choose the best resources while preparing for the exam.
What are Online and Offline Recourses for GATE Preparation?
Online Resources – Online resources for GATE preparation means those resources which are easily available online and are easily accessible from anywhere. All the candidates are not able to afford the fees of a coaching center costly, or those who are working and do not have time for coaching classes can opt for online resources of coaching. Some of the best online resources are mentioned below. These are available online free of cost and you can include them in your preparation plan.
- National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL)
- MIT Open Courseware (OCW)
- GATE Official Site
Online Coaching – Online coaching is another option for all those who do not have time to go outside for coaching or do not have any good coaching in their nearby cities. Moreover, in the current situation of a pandemic, most of the candidates are preferring online coaching only. The fee structure of these online classes will depend upon the time duration and the type of coaching module selected by you. Some of the best institutes that provide online coaching also are:
- Grade Up
- ICE Gate
- The Gate Academy
- Gate Forum
- Gate School
- Super Profs
- Made Easy
Preparation Plan for GATE
While there is a lot of time on hands with the students to prepare for the exam, some of the candidates still face problems while preparing for the same. Without a good plan, most of the students get confused and distracted. To avoid such problems we have prepared a preparation plan for you that you adopt, follow, or modify as per your preferences.
- Knowledge of GATE Syllabus and Exam Pattern – You must have the right information about the syllabus and paper pattern for which you are planning to appear. Without that your preparation will remain incomplete.
- Solving Previous Year Practice Papers – This will help you in understanding the exam pattern, type of questions, difficulty, and much more. By solving the previous year's papers you can improve the level of your performance. Check GATE Practice Papers
- Prepare a Time Table – Time table is a must. For example divide the time for study, revisions, solving papers, relaxation, etc on a daily basis and strictly follow that time table to get positive results.
- Setting up some Goals – You can divide your syllabus into weeks or months. You can set some goals like I will complete 3 chapters in a week or 12 chapters in a month. This way you can get more clarity about the level of your preparation.
How to Download GATE Admit Card?
You can download GATE Admit Card by following these simple step:
Step 1: Visit the official website appsgate.iitd.ac.in
Step 2: Enter your GATE Enrollment ID and Password and click Submit.
Step 3: Click on the link available to download GATE Admit Card
Step 4: Download and take a colored printout of the document
Step 5: Check for any discrepancies, if any
Details Mentioned on GATE Admit Card
- GATE admit card is a very important document to be carried with you during the time of exam.
- After downloading it, you should check all the details written on your admit card.
- Details like Candidate’s Name, Signature, Photo, Exam Date, time and day, instructions, Registration Number, complete address, paper code etc.
Documents Required with GATE Admit Card
- Along with your GATE admit card, you have to carry one valid Photo Id proof to prove your identity like Passport, Driving License, PAN Card, Employee ID, College ID, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, or Notarized Affidavit with Photo, Signature, Date of Birth & Residential Address.
NOTE: In case of any discrepancy in your admit card, you must report it to the authorities or to your Zonal Office.
The conducting body of GATE declares results in the month of March at the GOAPS website. Candidates appearing in the examination can check their GATE Result online.
- With the use of valid credentials, one can view their results, punching in Enrolment Number, Email ID, Registration ID, and Password.
- Only the aspirants who have qualified in the GATE Exam would gain access to download the score-card which will remain valid for three years from the date of Result Declaration.
Candidates can follow the step by step process for getting access to their GATE result:
- Visit the official website.
- Go to the results page and click on GATE Result.
- GOAPS portal for GATE would appear.
- Fill in the login details on the portal.
- Click on the submit tab.
- GOAPS candidate dashboard for GATE would open.
- Click on the results section.
- Your GATE Result will be displayed on the screen.
Details Mentioned on your GATE Score Card:
- Candidate's Name
- Registration Number of the Candidate
- GATE Question Paper and Paper Code
- Candidate's obtained GATE Score
- GATE Cutoff Marks
- Candidate's Photograph and Signature
- GATE Result along with GATE Score Card
List of GATE Toppers
Candidates can check the list of GATE toppers 2020 in the table below. You can also listen to the exclusive interview of GATE Topper Ashwini Jain AIR 11 of Computer Science Engineering.
|Paper Name||Student Name||Registration ID||GATE Marks (out of 100)|
|Aerospace Engineering (AE)||Bharath Kumar K||AE20S47323015||81|
|Agriculture Engineering (AG)||Vikrant Chauhan||AG20S48015013||77|
|Architecture and Planning (AR)||Kintan Shah||AR20S32020052||72|
|Biomedical Engineering (BM)||Ganesh Shivajirao Kulkarni||BM20S31218408||41.67|
|Biotechnology (BT)||Pranav Milind Deo||BT20S38037020||73.67|
|Chemical Engineering (CH)||Sachin Singh Naruka||CH2033021361||86.67|
|Chemistry (CY)||Krishan Panja||CY20S24034063||70.33|
|Civil Engineering (CE)||Ajay Singhal||CE20S73026111||90.77|
|Civil Engineering (CE)||Sumit Dewda||CE20S75012063||90.77|
|Computer Science and Information Technology (CS)||Hitesh Poply||CS20S63027705||91|
|Ecology and Evolution (EY)||Sveekruth Sheshagiri Pai||EY20S58026008||84|
|Electrical Engineering (EE)||Abhash Rai||EE20S4014461||87.33|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering (EC)||Kalpit Agrawal||EC20S46022255||82|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering (EC)||A Pavankumar Reddy||EC20S41211162||82|
|Engineering Sciences (XE)||Devendra Singh Negi||XE20S36011167||76|
|Geology & Geophysics (GG)||Rohan Nandy||GG20S42039078||82|
|Geology & Geophysics (GG)||Upendra Kumar Gupta||GG20S48038084||83|
|Instrumentation Engineering (IN)||Krishna Singh Rajput||IN20S11407410||82.33|
|Instrumentation Engineering (IN)||Naraharisetty Sai Sandeep||IN20S17344124||82.33|
|Life Sciences (XL)||Tamoghna Chaudhary||XL20S31206216||73.33|
|Mathematics (MA)||Pradeep Singh||MA20S33033447||54.67|
|Mechanical Engineering (ME)||Vikas Kumar||ME20S13045009||86.88|
|Metallurgical Engineering (MT)||Jaya Gupta||MT20S16026151||83|
|Mining Engineering (MN)||Priyanshu Maheshwari||MN20S34021047||73.33|
|Petroleum Engineering (PE)||Gaurav Kumar||PE20S18004138||76.67|
|Physics (PH)||Harshita Sharma||PH20S13027316||85.33|
|Production and Industrial Engineering (PI)||Suryansh Garg||PI20S28023017||88|
|Statistics (ST)||Pramit Das||ST20S36051508||64.67|
|Textile Engineering and Fibre Science (TF)||Priya Rathore||TF20S53034008||89.33|
GATE Cut off
GATE cut-off depends upon certain general parameters. These parameters include:
- Number of candidates appearing in the exam.
- Number of seats up for taking
- The difficulty level of the paper
- Any other factor (say error or something in certain questions)
Candidates who are planning to appear for GATE 2021 can check the cut off declared by IIT Delhi for the year 2020. The cut off is always released category and subject wise. Candidates must note that te released by the conducting body is only the qualifying cut off.
|GATE 2020 Paper Name||General||OBC||SC/ST/Pwd|
|Aerospace Engineering (AE)||27.2||24.4||18.1|
|Agriculture Engineering (AG)||26.3||23.6||17.5|
|Architecture and Planning (AR)||34.8||31.3||23.2|
|Biomedical Engineering (BM)||25.0||22.5||16.6|
|Civil Engineering (CE)||32.9||29.6||21.9|
|Chemical Engineering (CH)||35.7||32.1||23.8|
|Computer Science & Information Technology (CS)||28.5||25.6||19.0|
|Electronics & Communication Engineering (EC)||28.8||25.9||19.2|
|Electrical Engineering (EE)||33.4||30.0||22.2|
|Ecology & Evolution (EY)||42.2||37.9||28.1|
|Instrumentation Engineering (IN)||34.6||31.1||23.0|
|Mechanical Engineering (ME)||34.0||30.6||22.6|
|Mining Engineering (MN)||32.7||29.4||21.8|
|Metallurgical Engineering (MT)||49.2||44.2||32.8|
|Petroleum Engineering (PE)||39.8||35.8||26.5|
|Production & Industrial Engineering (PI)||36.6||32.9||24.4|
|Textile Engineering & Fiber Science (TF)||37.1||33.3||24.7|
|Engineering Sciences (XE)||26.0||23.4||17.3|
|Life Sciences (XL)||31.7||28.5||21.1|
Check GATE Paper-wise Cut Off
GATE Rank V/s Institute
The qualifying cut off for all the colleges could vary every year but it has been observed that the rank remains the same which is required for admission in the respective colleges. If a candidate scores a rank within 100 then there are chances that he/she can get admission in IITs.
Some of the examples for the ranks which are accepted by institutes are mentioned below in the table:
- IISc Bangalore – Rank < 100
- IIT Bombay – Rank < 100; in some of the courses rank <= 600
- IIT Kharagpur – Rank <= 600
- IIT Hyderabad – Rank <= 1500
GATE CCMT Counselling for Admission in NITs
For admissions into NITs candidates need to register for CCMT. Every year one of the NITs conduct GATE CCMT counselling to offer admission to GATE qualified candidtes into various programs offered by various NITs. In 2020 MNIT Jaipur has started the counselling process in the month of June.
- Usually, the counselling process starts in the month of April but in 2020 due to the outbreak of COVID-19 the process has been delayed.
- The total number of CCMT participating institutes has also been increased to 49 from 46.
- GATE CCMT counselling rely on the GATE scores of the candidates.
- Aspirants qualifying the GATE cut-off would become eligible for GATE CCMT counselling.
- Candidates need to verify their documents during the counselling process.
- For counselling, it is mandated for the candidates to fill the GATE registration form, along with the fees for GATE Counselling by visiting the respective portals.
At the time of counselling, candidates would be required to carry the following documents:
- Class 10th certificate and mark sheet
- Class 12th certificate and mark sheet
- Graduation mark sheet of all the semester
- Caste certificate (if applicable)
- EWS Certificate (if applicable)
- GATE Admit Card
- Valid Photo ID
- GATE Scorecard
- College leaving certificate issued by the college
- Passport size photograph of the candidate.
Know More GATE CCMT Counselling
GATE COAP Counselling for Admission in IITs
GATE COAP Cousnelling is conducted to offer admission in IITs. Candidates need to apply individually for GATE COAP Counselling for admissions after the announcement of GATE Results. For admissions into IITs, aspirants will need to apply to individual institutes where admission is desired and eventually, register for Common Offer Acceptance Portal.
- After the release of GATE COAP counselling results in 2020, a significant rise in the opening and closing ranks of IIT Bhubaneshwar had been observed. As per the reports, the increase in opening and closing ranks is 8.6% and 12.17% respectively in comparison to last year.
- GATE COAP Counselling is conducted in 5 Rounds.
- In these rounds, candidates get 3 options i.e. Accept and Freeze Option, Retain and Wait Option, Reject and Wait Option.
- After the conclusion of these 5 counseling rounds if still seats are left then the special counselling rounds are conducted.
GATE PSU Recruitment
Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) are the companies that are owned by the union government of India or one of the states/territorial governments or both. The majority of company shares are held by the government. These companies offer recruitment to candidates every year.
- Based on GATE scores, candidates can apply for the recruitment process.
- Candidates will be shortlisted based on GATE Cut Off
- Shortlisted candidates will be called for selection rounds like Personal Interview (PI)/ Group Discussion (GD). Some PSUs also conducts their own test to shortlist the candidates.
Benefits of Applying in PSU through GATE
- As an employee of one of the premier PSUs means a good job profile/position, decent pay cheque, job perks, medical facilities, and job security. The salary packages in PSUs generally range from 5 lakhs to 12 lakhs.
- All GATE qualified candidates can apply for various PSUs like DRDO, BARC, BHEL, BTPC, etc at same time.
- GATE scores cannot be manipulated hence selection through GATE score is considered honest everywhere.
- Immense opportunities to enhance your skills in the PSUs as various training programs are conducted by the companies to boost the performance of their employees.
GATE PSU Expected Cut Off
Based on the cut off trends of previous years we are providing the expected cut off for some of the PSUs for mechanical and electronics branch candidates because it has been noticed that the maximum number of applications are filled for these two branches/ disciplines in GATE.
|NTPC||Mechanical||72 - 80||65 - 70||54 - 60||49 - 53|
|Electronics||64 - 68||55 - 58||48 - 50||39 - 44|
|BHEL||Mechanical||80 - 84||NA*||72 - 75||61 - 64|
|Electronics||68 - 70||62 - 65||52 - 56||45 - 49|
NOTE: NA* – the cut off was not available for the previous years.
GATE Answer Key
Candidates can download GATE Answer keys from the provided in the table. With the help or precious year answer keys and question papers, you can get an idea about the difficulty level of the paper, exam pattern, type of questions, and much more. The question papers and answer key provided in the table belong to exam conducted in 2020.
- Comparing answer keys to their personal response sheets will give candidates a rough estimate of how many marks they will score in the final examination.
- Candidates can assess their marks in the examination according to the marking scheme provided in the GATE Exam Pattern.
- It must be kept in mind that there is no negative marking applicable for Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions, it will only be applicable for the multiple-choice questions (MCQ).
|Paper/Subject||GATE Question Paper||GATE Answer Key||GATE Final Answer Keys|
Download (Slot 1)
Download (Slot 2)
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||Download||Download||Download|
Download (Slot 2)
Download (Slot 1)
Download (Slot 2)
|Computer Science and Information Technology||Download||Download||Download|
|Architecture and Planning||Download||Download||Download|
|Ecology and Evolution||Download||Download||Download|
|Geology and Geophysics||Download||Download||Download|
|Production and Industrial Engineering||Download||Download||Download|
|Textile Engineering and Fibre Science||Download||Download||Download|
How to download GATE Answer key from official website?
Step 1: Visit the official website of GOAPS i.e. appsgate.iitd.ac.in
Step 2: Login using registered ID and password
Step 3: Check and download GATE Answer Key
Step 4: Also take a print out for future use
How to raise objections against GATE Answer Key?
Step 1: Visit the official website of GOAPS i.e. appsgate.iitd.ac.in
Step 2: Login using the registered ID and password
Step 3: Click on ‘GATE answer key
Step 4: Select the paper that you sat down for
Step 5: Click on ‘raise objection
Step 6: Find the question number that you wish to raise an objection for from the official answer key and enter the question ID
Step 7: Pay the objection fee through the available method of payment.
M.Tech Colleges without GATE
Sometimes candidates are not able to score the qualifying marks which are required to clear GATE. These qualifying marks are not predecided and change every year. In case if a candidate is not able to score the required marks then no need to lose hope because you can still get admission to the best M.Tech colleges that do not require GATE. Some of the colleges are mentioned below:
- Funded Seats in IITs, NITs, IISc – Yes. A candidate can have a funded seat in these prestigious institutes for M.Tech courses. For admission, you need to fulfill the prescribed eligibility criteria and the major requirement is that you must be employed for more than 2 years in the organization whose employer is funding the seat.
- Admission in State or Deemed Universities – State universities could have there own qualifying test which you may need to qualify but that test would be very easy when compared with GATE. However, the deemed universities could offer direct admissions also. The eligibility criteria and fee structure could vary from college to college. Some of the state-level tests for M.Tech Admission are AP PGECET, IPU CET, VITMEE, etc.
- Central Universities – Candidates can also take admission in central universities by appearing for their test.
- Private Colleges – The other best option is taking admission in private colleges. Some of the best colleges for M.Tech are LPU, AMITY, BITS, etc.
- Study M.Tech in Foreign University – If you are not able to crack GATE then you can also try for some foreign universities that accept admissions without GATE. For admission in foreign universities, you might have to appear for GRE or other exams as per the eligibility criteria of the respective country.
Ques. What is the registration process of GATE?
Ans. You need to fill the GATE online form through the official website of GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS), upload the required documents, pay the registration fee and submit the application form. After a successful payment of application fee, you will be considered registered for the exam.
Ques. Can I use the same e-mail Id to fill multiple GATE application forms?
Ans. No, you could use one e-mail Id for one registration only. All the candidates are advised to use one e-mail ID to fill the form and avoid filling the multiple forms. In case you found any errors or mistakes in the duly filled application form then no need to worry as you will also get the chance to do the form correction for a limited time period.
Ques. What happens in case of power or internet connection failure during the GATE application form submission?
Ans. In case of interruption during the GATE form submission, you would be able to access your registration page by logging in again to the GOAPS portal. You already filled information might have saved by the GOAPS server.
Ques. In what mode can I pay the GATE application fee?
Ans. You can pay GATE application fee only through the online mode (debit card, credit card and net banking).
Ques. While paying the GATE application fee, the amount was deducted from my bank account twice. How could I get additionally deducted amount back?
Ans. It would be refunded by the GOAPS authority in a maximum of two weeks.
Ques. Should I send the printed copy of GATE application form to GOAPS?
Ans. No, only the online registration is needed for GATE. There is no need to send any copy of the application form to the authorities.
Ques. How could I know the status of my GATE application submission?
Ans. You can check the status of your GATE application after successful submission through the official website of GOAPS.
Ques. I skipped taking print of the acknowledgment screen of my GATE online application submission. How could I retrieve it now?
Ans. You need to login to the GOAPS portal using your enrolment Id and password and take print of the acknowledgment again.
Ques. I am a student of B.Tech. final year. Am I eligible for applying to GATE?
Ans. Yes. You are eligible to apply for the exam.
Ques. I am a student of B.Tech. final year. What document should I produce for applying to GATE?
Ans. You need to obtain a certificate (in the specified format) from the Principal of your institution and upload the same while registering for GATE.
Ques. From where could I get my GATE admit card?
Ans. By visiting the official website of GOAPS ie. gate.iitd.ac.in
Ques. What should I bring to the exam center along with the GATE admit card?
Ans. One valid and original (not photocopied/scanned copy) photo identity proof.
Ques. Which all documented are will be allowed as a photo identity proof at the exam center of GATE?
Ans. Driving license, passport, PAN card, voter Id card, Aadhaar card, college Id card, employee Id card, or any other photo identity proof issued by Indian or state government.
Ques. Will I be allowed to enter the exam center of GATE, if I carry the photocopy of my driving license?
Ans. No, you need to carry the original one.
Ques. Will it be mandatory to take a printout of GATE to admit card for entering the exam center of GATE?
Ans. Yes. Without admit card no candidate will be allowed to enter the examination hall.
Ques. Will I be allowed to enter the exam center of GATE, if I carry would show the E-aadhaar on my mobile phone?
Ans. No, you need to carry the original hardcopy.
Ques. Should I take a colored or black and white printout of GATE admit card for entering the exam center of GATE?
Ans. Colored print out is preferred. Candidates are advised to take 2-3 printouts.
Ques. Do I need to validate something in the downloaded GATE admit card?
Ans. You need to validate that all your particulars in the GATE admit card are correct.
Ques. What should I do if I find errors in my GATE admit card?
Ans. You need to immediately contact your zonal center of GATE.
Ques. Could I take my physical calculator to the GATE examination hall?
Ans. No. Candidates are not allowed to take any such items in the examination hall.
Ques. How would then I will be able to make my calculations while attempting the GATE?
Ans. You will be provided with a virtual calculator on your computer screen for your calculations.
Ques. I have never used a virtual calculator before. How would I use it in How to use GATE?
Ans. You will be able to practice it using the GATE mock test before the exam.
Ques. When will be the GATE mock test be released?
Ans. In November 2020. Candidates can check their preparation level by appearing in the mock test series.
Ques. Shall I be provided with paper for rough work and calculations during the GATE?
Ans. You will be provided a scribble pad for your rough work that you will need to return pad to the invigilator while exiting the exam hall.
Ques. Shall I be able to deposit my mobile phone at the GATE exam hall?
Ans. No, you will have to make your own arrangements for keeping your belongings safe before entering the exam hall.
Ques. What are the restricted items for the GATE examination hall?
Ans. Mobile phones, physical calculators, wristwatches, any other electronic items, and sharp objects are not allowed inside the GATE examination hall.
Ques. Where will be the GATE result declared?
Ans. On the official website of GOAPS.
Ques. What information do I need to provide to accessing my GATE result?
Ans. Your GATE enrolment Id and date of birth.
Ques. Would I be able to download my GATE score card on the day of GATE result declaration?
Ans. No, you will not be able to download your score card later on.
Ques. What fee do I need to pay for downloading the GATE score card?
Ans. If you miss downloading the scorecard till May 30, 2020 then after that till Dec 30, 2020 the download of admit card will be by making a payment of INR 500.
Ques. I have passed B.Tech. in 2019 with a backlog. Am I eligible for GATE=?
Ans. Yes, but you will have to clear your backlog by the counselling start date.
Ques. I have the qualifying exam for GATE in the year 2019. I don’t have my degree certificate but have a provisional certificate. Could I apply for GATE?
Ans. Yes. You can apply for the exam. But during the of counselling or admission, you have to produce all the certificates in original.
Ques. I have passed my B.Tech. with 55% marks. Am I eligible for GATE 2020?
Ans. Yes. You can easily apply for the exam.
Ques. How many times could I appear in GATE?
Ans. There is no limit for a number of GATE attempts.
Ques. What is the upper age limit for GATE ?
Ans. There is no age limit for appearing in GATE.
Ques. I have completed my graduation through a distance learning program. Am I eligible for GATE?
Ans. Yes. You can apply for the exam. You should not have any backlogs.
Ques. I passed my B.Tech. in 2016, but still, have a backlog. Am I eligible for GATE?
Ans. No. Candidates with backlogs are not allowed to apply for the exam.
Ques. I belong to SC category. Do I need to upload my category certificate while registering for GATE?
Ans. No, you would have to produce it during your counselling for the M.Tech. courses.
Ques. I am not able to upload my signature while applying for GATE even after multiple trials. What could be the reason?
Ans. Your signature file would not be in the prescribed file format or size.
Ques. What is the GATE registration fee for foreign nationality candidates?
Ans. INR 1500 if the GATE 2020 exam center is selected within India, and US$ 50, if it is selected in Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu. For Dubai and Singapore, it will be US$ 100.
Ques. I paid the GATE 2020 application fee twice by mistake. How could I get back the extra payment?
Ans. It would be refunded by the GOAPS authority in maximum two weeks.
Ques. I have made the payment, but it is still not reflected on the GOAPS portal. What should I do?
Ans. Probably your payment is not accepted and would be refunded back to your account. Make sure to pay the fee before the due date.
Ques. I didn't upload my photograph as per the specifications while registering for GATE. Would it be rejected?
Ans. Yes. uploading documents are per the requirements of the IIT Delhi is mandatory.
Ques. How many choices of exam center do I need to give while registering for GATE?
Ans. Three. Candidates can fill up to 3 exam centers during the time of online registration.
Ques. Why should I give three choices of examination centers during GATE registration?
Ans. Because if you are not allotted your first choice of center, then your remaining two choices will be considered.
Ques. Will I surely be allotted a GATE exam center only from my provided choices?
Ans. No, not necessarily. If those are not available, you would be provided another nearby center.
Ques. Will I be able to update my mobile number or e-mail Id after submitting my GATE application form?
Ans. No, updating the mobile number or e-mail Id is not allowed.
Ques. What all entries could I correct in the submitted GATE application form?
Ans. You can change only name, date of birth, name of parent/guardian, qualifying degree, and year of qualifying degree.
Ques. I selected the wrong paper in my GATE application form. What should I do?
Ans. You will need to fill a new application using a new e-mail address (mobile number can be same) and choose the correct paper for examination.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College