GATE 2020 Exam Schedule (Released), Mock Tests, Admit Card, Pattern and Syllabus
IIT Delhi, the exam conducting authority has released the examination schedule for GATE 2020. It will conduct the engineering exam in total 8 slots, two each on February 1, 2, 8 and 9, 2020. As per GATE 2020 Paper Schedule, Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering exam will be held in two sessions while other 23 papers will be held in single session.
A total of 8,58,030 candidates have applied for GATE 2020. IIT Delhi has released the list of candidates with defects in application forms. These candidates can rectify the defects through GATE 2020 Form Correction window till December 6, 2019 upto 5:00 PM.
Latest: IIT Delhi has released official GATE Mock Tests 2020 at its website – Check Here
- GATE 2020 Admit Card will be issued to registered candidates on January 3, 2020.
- A new paper of Biomedical Engineering has been added in the list of 24 exams. From this year, the exam will be conducted for 25 branches of STEM. Check GATE Exam Pattern
- It will be a 3-hour long computer-based test having 65 multiple-choice questions.
- GATE Syllabus for each paper is stipulated separately.
- GATE Result will be announced on March 16, 2020.
- GATE Cutoff is released soon after the release of the result. Candidates who qualify the cutoff scores are eligible for M.Tech admission in IITs, NITs, and other engineering institutes.
- Top PSUs (Public Sector Units) accepts GATE score for their recruitment process. Check PSU Jobs through GATE
GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is a national level common entrance exam conducted annually in the computer-based mode for the candidates seeking admissions into PG courses in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) disciplines offered by IITs, NITs, IIITs, GFTIs, and STIs.
GATE 2020 Exam Schedule
IIT Delhi has released the official GATE 2020 Exam Schedule for all papers as shown below:
GATE 2020 Latest Facts
- GATE 2020 would be the first of the GATE exam with seats reserved for EWS (Economical Weaker Section) aspirants.
- As per the Central Government Amendments, 10% of seats in addition to the existing reservation would be reserved for EWS aspirants.
- Normalization process will be followed to devise the results of candidates.
- It will be the second time (First being GATE 2019) when the paper of Statistics discipline would also be among the papers examined in the entrance test.
- A candidate can appear in the exam for only one discipline of their respective background.
- The number of aspirants registering for GATE 2020 is expected to be nearly 10 Lakh as compared to 9.5 lakhs in 2019.
GATE 2020 Highlights
Candidates who are going to start their preparations for GATE 2020 must take a brief idea about the exam. Having the idea of exam overview would make you aware of the exam mode, pattern, marking scheme etc.
|Exam||GATE 2020 (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)|
|Level of Exam||All India Level|
|Conducting Authority||7 IITs and IISc, Banglore on Rotational basis.|
|Exam Mode||Computer-Based Mode|
|Number of Papers||25 Papers (Biomedical Engineering is newly added)|
|Number of Test Takers||8,58,030|
GATE 2020 Important Dates
Candidates preparing for GATE 2020 must go through the schedule released by the exam conducting authority on its official website. Below given are the important dates for the exam.
|GATE 2020 Events||Dates|
|GATE 2020 Registration window||August 31 – October 5, 2019|
|GATE Application Form Correction Window||October 15, 2019|
|Last Date for Requesting Change of Examination City||November 25, 2019|
|Issue of GATE Admit card||January 3, 2020|
|Exam date||February 1, 2, 8, and 9, 2020|
|Official Answer key releasing||10 days after the exam|
|Result declaration||March 16, 2020|
|Publishing of Scorecard||One week after the declaration of results|
|Start of counseling cum admission process||April 2020|
GATE 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates preparing for GATE 2020 must note the eligibility criteria for the same. This would help the candidates to determine their suitability before making an application for the exam. Candidates not satisfying the eligibility criteria would be disqualified from the exam during any subsequent stage.
The detailed eligibility criteria for the exam are listed below for reference of the candidates:
Age Criteria- There is no age limit for GATE, candidates from any age group can apply for the exam.
Nationality- Applicant must be an Indian citizen. Candidates from outside India can also apply for the exam if they fulfill the required eligibility criteria.
- Candidate must have obtained a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree (after 10+2) in BE/B. Tech, B.Arch, B.Sc from a state/central government, recognized institution.
- Candidate must have qualified the Bachelor’s or equivalent with a minimum aggregate of 45%.
- Candidates studying in the final year of Bachelor’s or equivalent are also eligible for making an application.
Candidates who registered after May 31, 2013 for certification equivalent to B.E/B.Tech/B.Arch from any of the professional societies (IE, ICE, IETE, AeSI, IIE, IIM etc) are now eligible to apply for GATE 2020, provided they meet rest of the GATE Eligibility Criteria
GATE 2020 Registration
GATE 2020 Application Form was available from August 31 till October 5, 2019. GATE Registration was completely online. Candidates had to submit the application form with payment of fees by visiting the official website – gate.iitd.ac.in.
Candidates were able to access the application form through the GATE Online Application Processing System. There are a few mandatory steps that candidates need to follow while applying for GATE exam. They are-
- Registration- Candidates have to register themselves through GOAPs by entering their name, email id, and mobile number after which an enrollment id will be generated. Candidates have to change the password for the future login purpose.
- Filling of Application Form- After registration, a complete application form will appear in which the candidates have to provide personal, academic, and qualification details. candidates will have to choose the preferred exam centers while filling the online application form.
- Uploading Images- Once the candidate has filled the application form, they have to upload the scanned copy of photograph, signature and category certificate (if applicable) as per the specifications of exam authority.
- Fee Payment- Candidates have to pay the application fee in online mode i.e. through net banking/debit card/credit card.
- Application Form Submission- After completing all the steps mentioned above, candidates have to submit the application form.
GATE 2020 Application Fee
GATE 2020 application fee has been mentioned in the table given below:
For Indian Exam Centers-
|Category||On/Before September 28, 2019||From Sept 29 – October 5, 2019|
|SC/ST||INR 750||INR 1250|
|Females||INR 750||INR 1250|
|General||INR 1200||INR 2000|
For Exam Centers Outside India
|Exam Centers||On/Before September 28, 2019||From Sept 29– October 5, 2019|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu||US$ 50||US$ 70|
|Dubai and Singapore||US$ 100||US$ 120|
GATE Application Form Correction
GATE aspirants were provided the facility to make corrections (if any) in the application form from October 15 – November 25, 2019. The official notification for GATE Application Form Correction has been released by the authority. Candidates can make changes in only a certain area of their application form. The details that can be corrected are-
- Candidate’s name
- Date of Birth
- Name of Parent
- Parent’s Mobile Number
- Correspondence Address
- Qualifying Degree Details
- Category/gender/PwD status/Dyslexia
There is a certain fee charged for application form correction. Refer to the table given below which gives the detailed information of form correction fee.
|For Candidates in India||For Candidates Outside India|
|Change request in exam city within India||Rs. 400||Exam city request outside India||Rs. 740|
|Change request in exam city outside India (Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu)||Rs. 3550||Exam city change request from Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka & Kathmandu to Dubai or Singapore||Rs. 4290|
|Change request in exam city outside India (Dubai and Singapore)||Rs. 7100|
GATE 2020 Exam Pattern, Syllabus, and Books
Tabled below is the GATE Exam Pattern for the reference of the candidates:
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Type of Questions asked||Objective type (MCQs)|
|Number of Questions asked||65|
|Marks for a correct answer||1 Mark/2 Marks for each correct answer depending on the section.|
|Negative Marking||1/3rd (For 1 one marker) and 2/3rd (For 2 marker) marks to be deducted for a wrong answer No negative marking for Numerical Type Answers (NTA).|
|Total marks allotted||100|
|Total time allotted||180 Minutes|
|Division of Marks|
General Aptitude: 15% of total marks
Engineering Mathematics*: 15% of total marks Subject
Discipline opted for by candidate: 70% of total marks
* Engineering Mathematics would not be a part of the GATE 2020 for some of the disciplines. These disciplines are
- AR: Architecture and Planning
- CY: Chemistry
- EY: Ecology and Evolution
- GG: Geology and Geophysics
- MA: Mathematics
- PH: Physics
- ST: Statistics
- XL: Biochemistry, Botany, Microbiology, Zoology, Food Technology
In this disciplines, the General aptitude portion would comprise of 15% marks and the rest 85% would be for the core subject.
The syllabus for GATE 2020 is similar to the graduation level curriculum for each respective discipline. Only the general aptitude and verbal ability part (15%) is common to all the paper under GATE 2020. For the General aptitude section following books can be referred:
|Verbal Reasoning||R.S. Aggarwal|
|Quantitative Aptitude||R.S. Aggarwal|
|Non-Verbal Reasoning||R.S. Aggarwal|
|Previous years GATE paper (solved)||Arihant Publications|
In regards to the syllabus for other disciplines candidates can search for the discipline of their choice using the following codes:
- CE: Civil Engineering
- CH: Chemical Engineering
- CS: Computer Science and Information Technology
- EC: Electronics and Communication
- EE: Electrical Engineering
- AE: Aerospace Engineering
- AG: Agriculture Engineering
- PE: Petroleum Engineering
- ME: Mechanical Engineering
- IN: Instrumentation Engineering
GATE 2020 Preparation Tips
Candidates preparing for GATE 2020 must be looking for some effective strategy and planning for preparation. To guide you out in this regards we have listed some effective preparation tips for aspirants:
- First of all, make up your mind whether you want to opt for a coaching class or would you prepare for the exam on your own.
- If you can afford and have the time to join coaching then go for it, but if you can’t then don’t worry you have a number of sources to guide you out.
- Coaching going aspirants get a schedule from their respective institute which they can follow however with a little more determination and dedication self-study can also get you qualifying marks.
- Self-studying aspirants must start by going through the GATE Syllabus
- Get a study material of any renowned author as a reference base.
- Start by revising the fundamentals of each chapter.
- For revising, fundamentals aspirants must use the standard book that they referred to during graduation for the respective subject.
- Start solving previous year GATE question papers as soon as you complete a respective topic.
- Solve topic-wise mock on a weekly basis
- Note down your mistakes in mock and work on those areas.
- Keep out a day every week for revision.
- Revision is to be done on a daily basis as well.
- Assess your performance in the mocks and find out weak and strong areas.
- Watch online videos and tutorials available on Youtube for clearing concepts.
- In last few months practice GATE Mock Test Series released by GOAPS.
Following these tips, an aspirant can smoothly clear the GATE exam in one go. Keep faith in yourself and don’t get de-motivated during the course of preparation. Check GATE 2020 Paper – wise Preparation Tips
GATE 2020 Exam Centers
GATE 2020 exam will be conducted at various cities across the country as well as abroad. six exam centers are located outside India i.e. in Dubai, Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, Singapore, and Kathmandu.
GATE 2020 Mock Tests
The exam conducting authority has released official mock tests for GATE aspirants. There are separate mock tests for different streams of Engineering and Technology. By practicing these mock tests candidates will get an idea about the exam pattern and type of questions asked. Candidates can access these tests by entering the login credentials at the official website. Below given are few features of GATE Mock Test.
- The mock test will be subject-wise i.e. candidates can take the test for one subject specifically.
- Proper instructions will be given that candidates must read before applying for the exam.
- Question paper pattern will be similar to the actual question paper.
- The question status will be displayed on the screen while attempting the test.
GATE 2020 Result and Answer Keys
GATE 2020 result will be declared on March 16, 2020. Candidates will be able to download their results from the official website as soon as they are made public. Candidates can follow the step by step process for getting access to their result:
- Visit the official website.
- Go to the results page and click on GATE 2020 Result.
- GOAPS portal for GATE would appear.
- Fill in the login details on the portal.
- Click on the submit tab.
- GOAPS candidate dashboard for GATE 2020 would open.
- Click on the results section.
- Your GATE Result will be displayed on the screen.
Prior to result declaration, GATE answer keys for all 25 subjects and students’ response sheet are released. Candidates can send their representations against the answer key within the stipulated time period. Check GATE Previous Year Answer Keys for all 25 Papers.
GATE 2020 Cut off
GATE 2020 cut-off would depend upon certain general parameters. These parameters include:
- Number of candidates appearing in the exam.
- Number of seats up for taking
- The difficulty level of the paper
- Any other factor (say error or something in certain questions)
To provide you a general idea of the GATE 2020 cut-off we have tabled previous year cut-off below. Take a look:
|Computer Science and Information Technology||25.1||16.5||16.5||22.5||16.4|
|Electronics and Communication||25||16.6||16.6||22.5||16.6|
GATE 2020 Counselling Process
The counseling process for GATE 2020 is expected to start in the month of April 2020. Candidates qualifying the exam would be issued call letter for the purpose of counselling. The scorecard will also get released post the declaration of GATE 2020 results.
At the time of counselling, candidates would be required to carry the following documents:
- Class 10th certificate and mark sheet
- Class 12th certificate and mark sheet
- Graduation mark sheet of all the semester
- Caste certificate (if applicable)
- EWS Certificate (if applicable)
- GATE Admit Card
- Valid Photo ID
- GATE Scorecard
- College leaving certificate issued by the college
- Passport size photograph of the candidate.
Check Detailed GATE 2020 Counselling Process
GATE 2020 FAQs
Ques. What is the registration process of GATE?
Ans. You need to fill the GATE online form through the official website of GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS), upload the required documents, pay the registration fee and submit the application form.
Ques. Can I use the same e-mail Id to fill multiple GATE application forms?
Ans. No, you could use one e-mail Id for one registration only.
Ques. What happens in case of power or internet connection failure during the GATE application form submission?
Ans. In case of interruption during the GATE form submission, you would be able to access your registration page by logging in again to the GOAPS portal. You already filled information might have saved by the GOAPS server.
Ques. In what mode can I pay the GATE application fee?
Ans. You can pay GATE application fee only through the online mode (debit card, credit card and net banking).
Ques. While paying the GATE application fee, the amount was deducted from my bank account twice. How could I get additionally deducted amount back?
Ans. It would be refunded by the GOAPS authority in a maximum of two weeks.
Ques. Should I send the printed copy of GATE application form to GOAPS?
Ans. No, only the online registration is needed for GATE.
Ques. How could I know the status of my GATE application submission?
Ans. You can check the status of your GATE application after successful submission through the official website of GOAPS.
Ques. I skipped taking print of the acknowledgment screen of my GATE online application submission. How could I retrieve it now?
Ans. You need to login to the GOAPS portal using your enrolment Id and password and take print of the acknowledgment again.
Ques. I am a student of B.Tech. final year. Am I eligible for applying to GATE?
Ques. I am a student of B.Tech. final year. What document should I produce for applying to GATE?
Ans. You need to obtain a certificate (in the specified format) from the Principal of your institution and upload the same while registering for GATE.
Ques. From where could I get my GATE admit card?
Ans. From the official website of GOAPS.
Ques. What should I bring to the exam center along with the GATE 2020 admit card?
Ans. One valid and original (not photocopied/scanned copy) photo identity proof.
Ques. Which all documented are will be allowed as a photo identity proof at the exam center of GATE 2020?
Ans. Driving license, passport, PAN card, voter Id card, Aadhaar card, college Id card, employee Id card, or any other photo identity proof issued by Indian or state government.
Ques. Will I be allowed to enter the exam center of GATE 2020, if I carry the photocopy of my driving license?
Ans. No, you need to carry the original one.
Ques. Will it be mandatory to take a printout of GATE to admit card for entering the exam center of GATE 2020?
Ques. Will I be allowed to enter the exam center of GATE 2020, if I carry would show the E-aadhaar on my mobile phone?
Ans. No, you need to carry the original hardcopy.
Ques. Should I take a colored or black and white printout of GATE admit card for entering the exam center of GATE 2020?
Ques. Do I need to validate something in the downloaded GATE 2020 admit card?
Ans. You need to validate that all your particulars in the GATE 2020 admit card are correct.
Ques. What should I do if I find errors in my GATE 2020 admit card?
Ans. You need to immediately contact your zonal center of GATE 2020.
Ques. Could I take my physical calculator to the GATE 2020 examination hall?
Ques. How would then I will be able to make my calculations while attempting the GATE 2020 exam?
Ans. You will be provided with a virtual calculator on your computer screen for your calculations.
Ques. I have never used a virtual calculator before. How would I use it in How to use GATE 2020?
Ans. You will be able to practice it using the GATE 2020 mock test before the exam.
Ques. When will be the GATE 2020 mock test be released?
Ans. In November 2019.
Ques. Shall I be provided with paper for rough work and calculations during the GATE 2020 examination?
Ans. You will be provided a scribble pad for your rough work that you will need to return pad to the invigilator while exiting the exam hall.
Ques. Shall I be able to deposit my mobile phone at the GATE 2020 exam hall?
Ans. No, you will have to make your own arrangements for keeping your belongings safe before entering the exam hall.
Ques. What are the restricted items for the GATE 2020 examination hall?
Ans. Mobile phones, physical calculators, wristwatches, any other electronic items, and sharp objects are not allowed inside the GATE examination hall.
Ques. Where will be the GATE 2020 result declared?
Ans. On the official website of GOAPS.
Ques. What information do I need to provide to accessing my GATE 2020 result?
Ans. Your GATE enrolment Id and date of birth.
Ques. Would I be able to download my GATE 2020 score card on the day of GATE 2020 result declaration?
Ans. No, you will not be able to download your score card later on.
Ques. What fee do I need to pay for downloading the GATE 2020 score card?
Ans. INR 500
Ques. I have passed B.Tech. in 2019 with a backlog. Am I eligible for GATE 2020?
Ans. Yes, but you will have to clear your backlog by the counselling start date.
Ques. I have the qualifying exam for GATE 2020 in the year 2019. I don’t have my degree certificate but have a provisional certificate. Could I apply for GATE 2020?
Ques. I have passed my B.Tech. with 55% marks. Am I eligible for GATE 2020?
Ques. How many times could I appear in GATE?
Ans. There is no limit for a number of GATE attempts.
Ques. What is the upper age limit for GATE 2020?
Ans. There is no age limit for appearing in GATE 2020.
Ques. I have completed my graduation through a distance learning program. Am I eligible for GATE 2020?
Ques. I passed my B.Tech. in 2016, but still, have a backlog. Am I eligible for GATE 2020?
Ques. I belong to SC category. Do I need to upload my category certificate while registering for GATE?
Ans. No, you would have to produce it during your counselling for the M.Tech. courses.
Ques. I am not able to upload my signature while applying for GATE even after multiple trials. What could be the reason?
Ans. Your signature file would not be in the prescribed file format or size.
Ques. What is the GATE 2020 registration fee for foreign nationality candidates?
Ans. INR 1500 if the GATE 2020 exam center is selected within India, and US$ 50, if it is selected in Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu. For Dubai and Singapore, it will be US$ 100.
Ques. I paid the GATE 2020 application fee twice by mistake. How could I get back the extra payment?
Ans. It would be refunded by the GOAPS authority in maximum two weeks.
Ques. I have made the payment, but it is still not reflected on the GOAPS portal. What should I do?
Ans. Probably your payment is not accepted and would be refunded back to your account. Make sure to pay the fee before the due date.
Ques. I didn't upload my photograph as per the specifications while registering for GATE. Would it be rejected?
Ques. How many choices of exam center do I need to give while registering for GATE?
Ques. Why should I give three choices of examination centers during GATE registration?
Ans. Because if you are not allotted your first choice of center, then your remaining two choices will be considered.
Ques. Will I surely be allotted a GATE exam center only from my provided choices?
Ans. No, not necessarily. If those are not available, you would be provided another nearby center.
Ques. Will I be able to update my mobile number or e-mail Id after submitting my GATE 2019 application form?
Ans. No, updating the mobile number or e-mail Id is not allowed.
Ques. What all entries could I correct in the submitted GATE 2020 application form?
Ans. You can change only name, date of birth, name of parent/guardian, qualifying degree, and year of qualifying degree.
Ques. I selected the wrong paper in my GATE application form. What should I do?
Ans. You will need to fill a new application using a new e-mail address (mobile number can be same) and choose the correct paper for examination.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College