GATE 2019 Registration (Open), Dates, Eligibility, Syllabus, Cutoff
GATE Application Form 2019 is now available at https://appsgate.iitm.ac.in. The GATE Online Application Application Processing System (GOAPS) is open for receiving applications till October 1, 2018. This year, IIT Madras will conduct GATE 2019 on February 2, 3, 9 and 10, 2019 in computer-based mode. Register now
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering or GATE is conducted for admission to M.Tech/ Ph.D. and other Government Scholarships/Assistantships in the field of engineering and technology. The exam is conducted annually by IISc Bangalore and 7 IITs (Bombay, Delhi, Madras, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Guwahati and Roorkee) on a rotational basis.
|GATE Syllabus||Preparation Books||GATE Practice Papers||GATE Exam Pattern|
GATE is a computer-based test with 65 questions to be solved within 3 hours. Two types of questions are asked in GATE – Objective Type and Numerical Type. Virtual calculators will be provided to solve numerical type questions.
Important! Application forms for various PSUs are available at their official website. Apply here
Facts related to GATE 2019
- GATE Form Correction window opens from September 24, 2018. Know more
- appsgate.iitm.ac.in is the only official website to register for GATE.
- 1 new subject, Statistics (ST) has been added this year.
- As per GATE Eligibility, candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree to apply for the exam.
- The questions asked in the exam are based on topics of graduate level.
- Check out the new changes introduced in GATE 2019.
|Exam Name||GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)|
|No. of Papers & Questions||24 | 65|
|Total Marks & Maximum Score||100 | 1000|
|No. of Test Takers||Over 9 lac|
|Use of GATE Score Card for Employment||PSUs, Central Government and Government of India Organization|
What is GATE Exam?
- GATE is an online test with multiple choice and numerical type questions conducted for 24 disciplines (papers) of engineering. Mostly questions are fundamental, concept based and thought-provoking.
- Please don’t have a misconception that GATE is only meant for ME/MTech which leads to the teaching career only.
- There are many other advantages of taking GATE such as employment in PSUs (Public Sector Undertakings), direct recruitment to Group A level posts in Central Government and some other Government of India Organizations.
- GATE qualifiers can use their GATE Scorecard for admission to Master’s Program and direct Doctoral Programs in Engg./Tech./Architecture.
- The GATE Scorecard is also used to avail financial assistance (scholarship) for the post-graduate program.
- GATE Registration can be made online at GOAPS website. Check our page for GATE 2019 Registration for more information.
- The exam will also be held for international candidates in Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and United Arab Emirates (U.A.E).
- GATE Exam consists 65 questions divided into 3 section –
- General Aptitude
- Engineering Mathematics
- From Respective Subjects
GATE 2019 Exam Dates
The official notification on GATE 2019 became live for a while at gate.iitm.ac.in. The dates related to GATE 2019 events are mentioned in the following table:
|Availability of GATE Application Form||September 1 – ||Apply Here|
|GATE 2019 Admit Cards will be available from||January 4, 2019||Download GATE Admit Card|
|GATE 2019 Exam Dates||February 2, 3, 9 and 10, 2019||Over 9 Lacs Candidates Appear for GATE|
|GATE Answer Key 2019 (official)||March 14, 2019||–|
|GATE 2019 results declared on||March 16, 2019||Check GATE Results|
|Downloading of GATE 2019 scorecards will begin from||March 20 – May 31, 2019||Download Scorecard from GATE GOAPS|
|Release of GATE Counselling Schedule||March 26, 2019 onwards||GATE Counselling Registration (CCMT)|
GATE 2019 Exam Schedule
Candidates can take GATE according to their Paper Code only. As there is a huge number of aspirants, thus GATE is held in multiple sessions. The table below depicts the tentative GATE 2019 schedule for all the papers:
|Date||Session||Time (IST)||Test Paper Codes|
|February 02, 2019||1||9:00 – 12:00 hrs||ME, EY, PE, XE, XL|
|2||14:00 – 17:00 hrs||ME, AE, MA, PI|
|February 03, 2019||3||9:00 – 12:00 hrs||CS, MN|
|4||14:00 – 17:00 hrs||AG, AR, BT, CH, CY, GG, IN, MT, PH, TF|
|February 09, 2019||5||9:00 – 12:00 hrs||EC|
|6||14:00 – 17:00 hrs||EE|
|February 10, 2019||7||9:00 – 12:00 hrs||CE|
|8||14:00 – 17:00 hrs||CE|
GATE Eligibility Criteria
It is advised to all the GATE aspirants to check their eligibility before making the registration. They can apply for only 1 paper in GATE. The minimum academic qualification to apply for GATE 2019 is indicated below for all the applicants:
- Bachelor’s degree (4 years after 10+2, or 3 years after Diploma) in the related engineering and science stream
- Master’s Degree in any branch of Mathematics/Science/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent degree.
- International applicants possessing a Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in the related engineering or science stream.
- Students in final year of Bachelor’s/Master’s degree.
- There is no stipulated age limit criterion defined for GATE applicants.
NOTE: Candidates with a backlog in their qualifying exam have to submit a copy of the final year mark sheets or a declaration from their Principal along with the seal and signature. Check out the documents required in support of GATE eligibility and qualifying disciplines in GATE.
How to apply for GATE 2019
GATE Registration Date: Sept 01, 2018 – Oct. 1, 2018
GATE Application Form will be available at http://gate.iitm.ac.in/ from September 01, 2018. It can be filled online through GOAPS (GATE Online Application Processing System). A candidate has to follow 3 steps primarily to register online for GATE 2019.
- Register and create a candidate’s login on the website of GOAPS. Provide your email-ID, phone number and create a password to register.
- Then, fill GATE Application Form and upload the scanned images of Photograph and Signature in JPEG format.
- The next step before final submission of GATE Online Application Form is fee payment.
The application fee for female, SC/ST candidates is INR 750 while it is INR 1500 for other candidates. The application fee can be paid in either online or offline mode.
Some key points about GATE Registration 2019:
- The application fee for GATE 2019 is INR 1500 for general category while for reserved category and female candidates, it is INR 750.
- Application Fee for centers outside India (Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, Kathmandu) is US$ 50. For Dubai and Singapore as exam centers, the fee is US$ 100.
- Check the list of zone wise GATE Exam Centers- 3 choices of centers have to be filled during GATE Registration.
- Don’t forget to check the actual size of photograph and signature required for GATE Registration.
How to fill GATE Online Application Form?
The steps to be followed to fill the GATE 2019 Online Application form are explained below:
Registration- Visit the official website of GOAPS. Enter few personal details, a valid e-mail ID and mobile number. Create a password which will be used to login later.
Filling GATE 2019 Application Form- Enter your personal and educational details in the application form for GATE. Preview the form to verify the information entered and modify the incorrect immediately to avoid discrepancies later. Note that the applications cannot be modified post final submission.
Fee payment- After saving application form candidate can make the payment by net banking, debit card and credit card. After paying GATE application fees, a fee payment number is generated which candidate can note for the later stages of the GATE Selection process.
GATE Application Form Correction
From the year 2019, the exam conducting authority has introduced a change that once the application form is submitted, it cannot be changed/rectified.
- Therefore, candidates must ensure that all the details and supporting documents are correct and uploaded.
- If everything is found correct then GATE Application Form will be accepted else the defects will be notified to the candidate.
- This correction needs to be carried out within a stipulated time.
- Candidates should be quick in fixing the errors in the form before the deadline.
- Those who fail to fix, their application form will be rejected and no communication will be made in this regard.
GATE Application Form Status
Candidates can check their form status i.e. whether the authority has received the form or not. It also tells if the application form submitted by candidate needs any correction or not. Visit GOAPS to check the status of the GATE Online Application. The status will be displayed from one of the below-mentioned categories:
- Under Scrutiny
- Defect Status
- Status after Rectification
- Rejected with Valid Reason
GATE 2019 Admit Card
Availability of GATE 2019 Admit Card: January 4, 2019
To download GATE 2019 Admit Card, visit http://gate.iitm.ac.in/. One must print multiple copies of admit card for GATE 2019 to avoid discrepancies on the exam day.
- Admit Card carries candidate’s name, location of the exam center, photograph, and signature of candidate.
- It is mandatory to verify the given information before downloading GATE Admit card
- In case of any discrepancy, immediately report the conducting authority i.e. IIT Madras.
Download GATE Admit Card by following the steps given below:
- Candidates have to visit the http://gate.iitm.ac.in/
- Click on the GATE 2019 Admit Card Link
- Enter the Registration Number and Password
- Candidate’s admit card will display on screen
- Take the Printout of GATE Admit Card
GATE 2019 Paper Pattern
Exam Date: February 2 – 3 and February 09 – 10, 2019
Every eligible candidate can apply for one stream of all the 24 papers for which GATE 2019 is conducted. GATE 2019 Exam Pattern might seem a little confusing at first as it varies for different disciplines. GATE is an online mode examination with 65 questions to be solved in 3 hours. The total weightage of the GATE Exam is 100 marks.
|Mode of Examination||Online/ Computer-based Test|
|Total no. of questions||65|
|Duration of Exam||3 hours|
|Sections in paper||Two, i.e. General Aptitude and Subject Specific|
- There will be two types of questions Objective type and Numerical Type (NAT). In NAT question, there will be no choices. The answer is to be entered manually with the help of Virtual Calculator.
- XE paper will have a new section on Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences. With this, there will be eight sections (A-H) in XE paper.
Marking Scheme for GATE 2019
- Candidates are marked separately for MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions) and NAT (Numerical Answer Type).
- For every correct answer in MCQ, candidates are awarded 1 mark or 2 marks depending on the weightage of the question.
- For every incorrect MCQ, candidate loses 1/3 or 2/3 marks for 1 mark or 2 markers respectively.
- For Numerical Answer Type, every correct answer is awarded 1 mark or 2 marks as per the marks allotted to the question. There is no negative marking for such questions.
Read More GATE Exam Pattern
GATE 2019 Syllabus
GATE Syllabus will be released on the official website by IIT Madras for all the 24 disciplines. Candidates should check out the detailed syllabus for the related discipline to identify and focus on the important topics to be asked in the exam. They can click on the links provided below in the table to check GATE 2019 Syllabus for the relevant discipline.
GATE 2019 Answer Key
Final Official Answer Keys To Be Released on March 14, 2019
IIT Madras releases the official answer keys for GATE 2019 (all papers) at its official website.
- There will be a separate question paper and answer key sets for all the separate sessions.
- The answer keys can be viewed by logging in using Registration details.
- Candidates can also challenge any answer in case the correct response is not mentioned on the key.
- Candidate can challenge the answer key by paying a nominal fee.
GATE 2019 Result
GATE Result Declaration: March 16, 2019
Candidates can check the result by using their GATE 2019 login credentials (Registration No or Email ID). Those who qualify GATE 2019 can download the scorecard from the official website of GATE March 20 onwards.
Read More GATE Result
GATE Score Card
Availability of GATE Scorecard: March 20 – May 30, 2019
Candidates qualifying GATE cut off announced by IIT Madras will be eligible to download their GATE scorecard. The validity of the scorecard is for 3 years. Before 2014, the scorecard was valid up to 2 years, the change in increase of the validity up to 3 years was made by IIT Kharagpur in 2014. Candidates can download the scorecard from the official website.
GATE 2019 Counselling
CCMT Counseling Registration will begin from April 3, 2019
GATE Exam Counselling is done separately by various IITs, NITs and other institutes. Candidates after having qualified in GATE have to appear for GD/ PI for admission. For admissions, candidates have to check notification by GATE participating institutes.
- For admission in NITs, IIITs and in some government-funded colleges, a centralized counselling– CCMT (Centralized Counseling for M.Tech/M.Plan) will be conducted.
- The name of the organising institute will be available soon after the result. Read More
- IITs and IISc will conduct their separate counselling process.
- Most of the other participating universities and state wise institutions will conduct their own counselling process.
All the IITs conduct their own counselling process for the admission in M.Tech programs.
Check Here GATE Counselling
Common Offer Acceptance Portal (COAP)
For taking admission in IITs, COAP provides a common platform for candidates to make the most preferred choice for admission in M.Tech programs. All the participating IITs will upload admission offers in a common time window. So that they will be able to access all the admission offers made by participating IITs.
The following information is asked while registering at COAP-
- GATE Registration Number
- GATE Scores
- Date of Birth
- Email ID
- Phone Number
Check more information on M.Tech admissions through COAP: Click Here
PSU through GATE
Candidates applying for GATE 2019 will have two options based on GATE score – either to continue with the studies with a Master’s degree or apply for a job with Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) jobs through GATE 2019.
- All the top PSUs hire graduate engineers based on GATE for various job profiles.
- Candidates have to register separately for all the PSUs and GATE.
- All the PSUs will release their own cutoff based on GATE score.
- Shortlisted candidates have to appear for the selection rounds conducted separately by all PSUs.
Check Here List of PSU Recruiting Through GATE
GATE Cut off
GATE cut off is the minimum score which must be scored by candidate in order to reserve a seat. The cut off varies for different institutes, streams and the category of candidate. The expected GATE cut-offs (streamwise) for the year 2019 is provided below (on the basis of previous year cut offs)-
|Stream||General Category||OBC Category||SC/ST Category|
|Electronics & Communications Engg.(EC)||25||22.5||16.6|
|Computer Science & Information Technology(CS)||25||22.5||16.6|
Benefits of GATE 2019 Scorecard
GATE Scorecard validates that candidate appeared and qualified GATE. The benefits of GATE Scorecard are enlisted below:
Enrollment in Masters and PhD Programs
- A decent GATE Score can fulfil any aspiring engineer’s dream of studying from an IIT or NIT.
- GATE enables candidates to seek admissions in M.Tech. /M.E. / M.S. in their respective discipline in IITs or NITs or institutes in Germany and Singapore depending on the GATE Cutoff released by them.
- Institutes such as IIT, Bombay offer admissions to Ph.D., PGDM, and PGDIE programs right after graduation on the basis of GATE Score.
- Some IIMs reserve seats for admissions to doctoral programs through GATE.
- MHRD (Ministry of Human Resource Development) provides scholarships to candidates on the basis of the GATE Score.
- Candidates who opt for PG courses through GATE 2019 are given scholarships by MHRD.
- CSIR laboratories offer Junior Research Fellowships (JRF) and Senior Research Fellowships (SRF) to GATE Qualifiers.
- BARC, well-known Institute offers a stipend to GATE Qualifiers.
- Various known PSUs (Public Sector Undertaking) recruit eligible and qualified candidates for different posts.
- Candidates are offered high compensation packages and other benefits (medical benefits and other aids).
- CEL, MDL, GAIL, BHEL, Cabinet Secretariat etc. have recently released notifications for PSU Recruitment through GATE.
- Candidates have to apply separately for the posts offered by various institutes.
- The application forms for different PSUs are released on different dates and candidates have to submit the application form within the stipulated time to be recruited by the PSU.
Ques. What is the registration process of GATE?
Ans. You need to fill the GATE online form through the official website of GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS), upload the required documents, pay the registration fee and submit the application form.
Ques. Can I use the same e-mail Id to fill multiple GATE application forms?
Ans. No, you could use one e-mail Id for one registration only.
Ques. What happens in case of power or internet connection failure during the GATE application form submission?
Ans. In case of interruption during the GATE form submission, you would be able to access your registration page by logging in again to the GOAPS portal. You already filled information might have saved by the GOAPS server.
Ques. In what mode can I pay the GATE application fee?
Ans. You can pay the pay the GATE application fee only through the online mode (debit card, credit card and net banking).
Ques. While paying the GATE application fee, the amount was deducted from my bank account twice. How could I get additionally deducted amount back?
Ans. It would be refunded by the GOAPS authority in maximum two weeks.
Ques. Should I send the printed copy of GATE application form to GOAPS?
Ans. No, only the online registration is needed for GATE.
Ques. How could I know the status of my GATE application submission?
Ans. You can check the status of your GATE application after successful submission through the official website of GOAPS.
Ques. I skipped to take print of the acknowledgement screen of my GATE online application submission. How could I retrieve it now?
Ans. You need to login to the GOAPS portal using your enrolment Id and password, and take print of the acknowledgement again.
Ques. I am a student of B.Tech. final year. Am I eligible for applying to GATE?
Ques. I am a student of B.Tech. final year. What document should I produce for applying to GATE?
Ans. You need to obtain a certificate (in the specified format) from the Principal of your institution and upload the same while registering for GATE.
Ques. From where could I get my GATE admit card?
Ans. From the official website of GOAPS.
Ques. What should I bring to the exam center along with the GATE 2019 admit card?
Ans. One valid and original (not photocopied/scanned copy) photo identity proof.
Ques. Which all documented are will be allowed as photo identity proof at the exam center of GATE 2019?
Ans. Driving license, passport, PAN card, voter Id card, Aadhaar card, college Id card, employee Id card, or any other photo identity proof issued by Indian or state government.
Ques. Will I be allowed to enter the exam center of GATE 2019, if I carry the photocopy of my driving license?
Ans. No, you need to carry the original one.
Ques. Will it be mandatory to take printout of GATE admit card for entering the exam center of GATE 2019?
Ques. Will I be allowed to enter the exam center of GATE 2019, if I carry would show the E-aadhaar in my mobile phone?
Ans. No, you need to carry the original hardcopy.
Ques. Should I take colored or black and white printout of GATE admit card for entering the exam center of GATE 2019?
Ques. Do I need to validate something in the downloaded GATE 2019 admit card?
Ans. You need to validate that all your particulars in the GATE 2019 admit card are correct.
Ques. What should I do if I find errors in my GATE 2019 admit card?
Ans. You need to immediately contact your zonal center of GATE 2019.
Ques. Could I take my physical calculator to the GATE 2019 examination hall?
Ques. How would then I be able to make my calculations while attempting the GATE 2019 exam?
Ans. You will be provided with a virtual calculator on your computer screen for your calculations.
Ques. I have never used a virtual calculator before. How would I be use it in How to use GATE 2019?
Ans. You will be able to practice it using the GATE 2019 mock test before the exam.
Ques. When will be the GATE 2019 mock test be released?
Ans. In November 2018.
Ques. Shall I be provided with paper for rough work and calculations during the GATE 2019 examination?
Ans. You will be provided a scribble pad for your rough work that you will need to return pad to the invigilator while exiting the exam hall.
Ques. Shall I be able to deposit my mobile phone at the GATE 2019 exam hall?
Ans. No, you will have to make your own arrangements for keeping your belongings safe before entering the exam hall.
Ques. What are the restricted items for the GATE 2019 examination hall?
Ans. Mobile phones, physical calculators, wristwatches, any other electronic items, and sharp objects are not allowed inside the GATE examination hall.
Ques. Where will be the GATE 2019 result declared?
Ans. On the official website of GOAPS.
Ques. What information do I need to provide to accessing my GATE 2019 result?
Ans. Your GATE enrolment Id and date of birth.
Ques. Would I be able to download my GATE 2019 score card on the day of GATE 2019 result declaration?
Ans. No, you will not be able to download your score card later on.
Ques. What fee do I need to pay for downloading the GATE 2019 score card?
Ans. INR 500
Ques. I have passed B.Tech. in 2018 with a backlog. Am I eligible for GATE 2019?
Ans. Yes, but you will have to clear your backlog by the counselling start date.
Ques. I have the qualifying exam for GATE 2019 in year 2018. I don’t have my degree certificate, but have a provisional certificate. Could I apply for GATE 2019?
Ques. I have passed my B.Tech. with 55% marks. Am I eligible for GATE 2019?
Ques. How many times could I appear in GATE?
Ans. There is no limit for number of GATE attempts.
Ques. What is the upper age limit for GATE 2019?
Ans. There is no age limit for appearing in GATE 2019.
Ques. I have completed my graduation through a distance learning program. Am I eligible for GATE 2019?
Ques. I passed my B.Tech. in 2016, but still have a backlog. Am I eligible for GATE 2019?
Ques. I belong to SC category. Do I need to upload my category certificate while registering for GATE?
Ans. No, you would have to produce it during your counselling for the M.Tech. courses.
Ques. I am not able to upload my signature while applying for GATE even after multiple trials. What could be the reason?
Ans. Your signature file would not be in the prescribed file format or size.
Ques. What is the GATE 2019 registration fee for foreign nationality candidates?
Ans. INR 1500 if the GATE 2019 exam center is selected within India, and US$ 50, if it is selected in Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu. For Dubai and Singapore, it will be US$ 100.
Ques. I paid the GATE 2019 application fee twice by mistake. How could I get back the extra payment?
Ans. It would be refunded by the GOAPS authority in maximum two weeks.
Ques. I have made the payment, but it is still not reflected on the GOAPS portal. What should I do?
Ans. Probably your payment is not accepted, and would be refunded back to your account. Make sure to pay the fee before the due date.
Ques. I didn't upload my photograph as per the specifications while registering for GATE. Would it be rejected?
Ques. How many choices of exam center do I need to give while registering for GATE?
Ques. Why should I give three choices of examination centers during GATE registration?
Ans. Because if you are not allotted your first choice of center, then your remaining two choices will be considered.
Ques. Will I surely be allotted an GATE exam center only from my provided choices?
Ans. No, not necessarily. If those are not available, you would be provided another nearby center.
Ques. Will I be able to update my mobile number or e-mail Id after submitting my GATE 2019 application form?
Ans. No, updating the of mobile number or e-mail Id is not allowed.
Ques. What all entries could I correct in the submitted GATE 2019 application form?
Ans. You can change only name, date of birth, name of parent/guardian, qualifying degree, and year of qualifying degree.
Ques. I selected a wrong paper in my GATE application form. What should I do?
Ans. You will need to fill a new application using a new e-mail address (mobile number can be same) and choose the correct paper for examination.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College