University of Bonn Bonn Admission, Criteria & Application Deadlines 2021
The University of Bonn North Rhine-WestphaliaGermany is a public research institute. The University of Bonn offers 200+ undergraduate and postgraduate level programs. In winter 2019, the university recorded a total enrollment of 38,844 students. They have a student population of over 38,000 students and 5,000 of the entire strength is of international learners coming from 141 countries around the world to study in Germany. Some points to be kept in mind while applying to the University of Bonn are as follows:
- Applications are invited for the winter and summer semesters.
- Documents which are received by the university after the deadline will not be considered for admission.
- Applicants must fill the admission application online. The application form is free of charge.
- Programs with no admission restriction guarantee admission to every applicant if they fulfill the admission requirements.
- Proficiency in German and English language must be submitted according to the program requirements.
- Applicants who have a university entrance qualification from another country must fulfill requirements equivalent to German education standards.
- Certificates that are not issued in German, English or French language must be submitted along with a certified translation.
- Standardized test scores are not required for admission to the university.
|Application Portal||Online Application|
|Application Fee (non-refundable)||N.A|
|German Proficiency||at least B-1 level required|
|Types of Programs||Full time/ part-time|
|Mode of Payment||Online payments allowed|
|Academic Calendar||Semester based|
|Intake Sessions||Winter semester; summer semester|
University of Bonn Admission Deadlines
Students must follow the prescribed deadlines for a smooth procedure. Note that the deadlines vary for graduate courses and must be checked based on the choice of course. The undergraduate application deadlines for summer and winter semesters are mentioned below:
|Semester||Application Deadline||Decision Notification|
University of Bonn International Student Admissions
International students from 140+ countries around the world are currently enrolled at the University of Bonn. International applicants are required to complete additional application procedures as compared to domestic applicants. The details of these processes are mentioned below
Application Portal: Online Application
Application Fee: N.A
- Students can apply online via the application available on the official website.
- After filling the online form, students will receive an e-mail on the e-mail address they give in the Application.
- The e-mail will contain a PDF, which the students need to print and sign.
- Next, the PDF and required documents have to be sent via mail at:
Abt. 1.3 – Studierendensekretariat
Students are required to prove academic competence to study the program being applied to by submitting the following
- Copy of Passport (simple copy)
- Complete Curriculum Vitae (up to the date of application)
- German language proficiency (simple copy)
- University Entrance Qualification
- Secondary School-Leaving Certificate with transcript of records (legalization by the embassy)
- Certificate of the passed University Entrance Examination for the applied course with marks and academic transcript, if existing (legalization by the embassy)
- Record of successful studies, if existing (copy of the transcript of records for each studied term)
- Certificate of the passed Feststellungsprüfung, if existing
The case of certificates not made out in German, English or French language, officially certified translations have to be enclosed.
English Proficiency Requirement for International Students
International students applying for English taught programs at the University of Bonn are required to possess English proficiency of at least B-2 level. ELP test scores corresponding to B-2 level are mentioned below
German Proficiency Requirement for International Students
A majority of courses at the University of Bonn are taught in German. Therefore students are required to have a minimum of B-1 level proficiency in German. Students can submit official scores of the exams mentioned below to prove their proficiency
|Test Name||Min Score Required|
Students applying for German taught programs are expected to possess C-1 level proficiency.
Visa Process for International Students
After confirming the admission at the University of Bonn, international students are required to apply for a student visa. In order to apply for a German Student Residence Permit, the following documents are required:
- Confirmation certificate of a valid health insurance
- Proof of financing of students from non-EU countries (a bank statement [blocked account], scholarship, or working contract which proves that you have enough financial support for the first year (for rent, food, clothing...). The required amount is (from September 1st. 2019) 10,236 Euro/year, or 853 Euro/month - [ for information concerning a blocked account, see below - opening a bank account].
- High School entrance qualification or Confirmation of academic achievements (if available)
- Letter of admission from the university, confirmation that approval will be expected, or proof of enrollment at the university
- Proof of existing German language skills or a planned language course in Germany
International students are advised to apply for the visa at least 90 days before the intended start date of their program. After arriving in Germany international students are also required to apply for a residence permit within 3 months of arrival.
University of Bonn Undergraduate Admissions
University of Bonn admissions offer a wide range of science and liberal arts programs at the undergraduate level. A majority of the undergraduate programs are taught in the German language.
Where to Apply: Online Application
Application Fee: N/A
Admission Requirements: The requirements for admission to bachelor’s degree programs are:
- Certified copy of your university entrance qualification along with a certified translation into German, French or English
- German Proficiency Exam Scores (TestDaF / Goethe-Zertifikat) if the course requires
- English Proficiency Exam Scores (TOEFL / IELTS) if the course requires
The admission requirements for students applying from South Asian countries are as follows:
|Country||Undergraduate Requirements||Graduate Requirements|
|India||Pre-University Examination with a minimum of 50%; Secondary school leaving certificate (after 12 classes) with a minimum of 50%||Bachelor’s degree issued by a recognized institute; Proof of passing both JEE Main and Advanced|
|Sri Lanka||General Certificate of Education (GCE) - Advanced Level||Bachelor’s degree issued by a recognized institute|
|Pakistan||Higher Secondary (School) Certificate / Intermediate (Examination) Certificate (or certificate replacement certificate) with a minimum of 50%||Bachelor’s degree issued by a recognized institute|
|Nepal||Academic Transcript (Grade XI and XII); School Leaving Certificate Examination (school leaving certificate after 10 years)||Bachelor’s degree issued by a recognized institute; Proficiency certificate (after 2 years of study)|
|Bangladesh||Higher Secondary (School) Certificate with a minimum of 50%||Bachelor’s degree issued by a recognized institute|
University of Bonn Graduate Admissions
The University of Bonn offers Master of Arts and Master of Science degrees at the graduate level. Besides German taught programs a number of graduate-level courses are available in English as well.
Where to Apply: Graduate Application
Application Fee: N.A
Here are some important documents which students need to submit while applying for a graduate program
- Undergraduate Degree Certificate
- Official Transcripts
- Letter of Motivation
- Letters of Recommendation
- Work Experience (if applicable)
- Updated Resume
Program-specific admission requirements for a few graduate programs at the University of Bonn are mentioned below
|Requirements||Computer Science (M.Sc.)||Chemistry (M.Sc.)||Geodetic Engineering|
|Full-Time Duration||2 years||2 years||4 semesters|
|Academic Prerequisite||bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field||first qualified academic degree (usually a Bachelor of Science) in chemistry or a related subject.||a three-year Bachelor of Science degree in Geodesy,
Geoinformation or related topics, such as Geoscience,
Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or Electrical Engineering.
|Admission Deadline||Summer- November 1
Winter- May 1
|Winter- July 1||June 15, 2020|
|English Proficiency||TOEFL paper-based: 550 points
TOEFL computer-based: 213 points
TOEFL internet-based: 80 points
|TOEFL iBT: min. 72 pts., IELTS: min. 5.5, UNIcert level II||TOEFL paper-based: 575 points
TOEFL internet-based: 90 points
|Referees||2 Required||Not required||Not required|
|Updated Resume||Required||Not required||Required|
|Letter of Motivation||Required||Required||Required|
The University of Bonn is a popular study abroad destination among students interested in pursuing university programs in the sciences and arts. An added bonus is that there is no tuition fee for students since it is a German public research university. The application process can be completed fully online. Admission decisions are announced online as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques. What is the cost of attendance at the University of Bonn?
Ans. The University of Bonn does not charge any tuition fee from students. A nominal fee is charged which gives students free access to public transportation across the city.
Ques. Is health insurance compulsory for all the applicants?
Ans. Yes, Students in Germany are required by law to have valid health insurance. In order to enroll at a German university, you must first provide proof that you have valid health insurance.
Ques. What is the next step after I have been offered Admission?
Ans. Once you have been accepted to the University of Bonn, you must register for your study program at the ‘Studentensekretariat’ (Registrar´s Office) of the University of Bonn. You will find the applicable deadlines in your admission letter. Please note, you must state - in the given time frame - whether you would like to accept a place at the university. Otherwise, your spot may expire after a specified deadline, and will probably be given to another applicant
Ques. What level of German proficiency is required for admission to the University of Bonn?
Ans. Students applying for a bachelors program are required to have C-1 level proficiency in German. The level of proficiency required varies for master’s level programs.