Karlsruhe Institute of Technology World Rankings, National Rankings, Subject-Specific Rankings 2020-2021
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology as (KIT) is the research based University located in the second biggest city Karlsruhe in the state of Baden-Wurttemberg of Germany. KIT has several campuses, the North is situated in the town’s administrative district while the south campus is in the heart of the city center. KIT was established in the year 1825, while Karlsruhe Research Centre (KRC) as nuclear research centre (previously Kernforschungszentrum Karlsruhe) in 1956. But KIT is said to be officially established in 2009 after the merger of University of Karlsruhe & the KRC.
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology became the Center for National High performance Computing. KIT is a member of the TU9, German Institutes of Technology, which represents the largest & the most recognised Engineering and Technology specialist Universities in the country.
- In the year 2018, six Noble laureates have taken affiliations from KIT.Many entrepreneurs and inventors have been a part of the KIT like Karl Friedrich Benz, Heinrich Hertz , and many more.
- The main goal of KIT is to help cope with the Global challenges facing humankind in areas of energy transition, future mobility, and technologies for the information of society.
Karlsruhe Institute Ranking Highlights
At regular intervals, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology participates in various university rankings. Among the most important international rankings are the world university rankings of Times Higher Education THE and QS as well as the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) or Shanghai Ranking.
- Karlsruhe Institute ranked as #201-250th in the world University ranking by Times Higher Education (THE) for 2021.
- KIT is ranked as # 131 by the QS World university ranking 2021.
- Karlsruhe ranks as #197 among best Global Universities, #83 in Best Global Universities in Europe & #14 in Best Global Universities in Germany by US News , 2021.
- KIT ranks consistently as # 201 from 2107 to 2020 in Academic Ranking (ARWU) or Shanghai Ranking.
- KIT Ranks in Center for World University rank (CWUR) as # 232 in World rank and # 17 in National rank for 2019-2020 but ranks as # 239 in world rank and # 20 national rank for 2020-2021.
Karlsruhe Institute THE Ranking 2021
The annual ranking by the Times Higher Education journal is based on 13 differently weighted indicators in five categories: Academic education (30%), research (30%), citation index (30%), internationality (7.5%), and third-party funding by industry (2.5%).The THE Ranking of KIT is #201-250 in the World University Ranking in 2020-2021. The World Reputation Rankings by THE is #126-150 in 2020.
Ranking position 2017 to 2020 by THE (Times Higher Education)
Karlsruhe Institute Subject Ranking by THE
Apart from the institutional ranking, THE also offers rankings for programs offered by Karlsruhe Institute of Technology with separate results for eleven subject areas. KIT takes part in the rankings for three subject areas.
- Physical Sciences included: Mathematics and statistics, physics and astronomy, chemistry, geology, earth and marine sciences
- Engineering included: Engineering sciences, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, and chemical engineering
- Computer Sciences included: Informatics/computer science
Karlsruhe Institute QS Ranking 2021
The annual QS World University Ranking published by Quacquarelli Symonds Ltd. (QS) is based on six indicators in the categories of reputation, internationalization, academic education, and research output.
The overall ranking is influenced in particular by surveys of academics and employers regarding the reputation of the universities.The QS world university ranking of the college is # 131 by 2021. The QS provides Graduate Employability Ranking which is # 36 of KIT in 2021.
Karlsruhe Institute Subject Ranking by QS
|Subjects||International ranking||National ranking|
|Accounting & Finance||# 251-300||-|
|Material Sciences||# 43||# 3|
|Physics & Astronomy||# 42||# 4|
|Engineering - Mechanical||# 43||# 4|
|Architecture||# 51-100||# 3-5|
|Geology||# 51-100||# 1-6|
|Natural Sciences||# 58||# 4|
|Geophysics||# 51-100||# 2-6|
|Engineering-Chemal||# 51-100||# 4|
|Chemistry||# 51-100||# 3-8|
|Engineering-Electrical & Electronic||# 51-100||# 4-5|
|Computer Sciences & Information System||# 51-100||# 2-5|
|Engineering-Civil & Structure||# 51-100||# 2-3|
|Engineering & Technology||# 68||-|
|Mathematics||# 101-150||# 7-10|
|Biology||# 201-250||# 16-20|
Karlsruhe Institute ARWU Ranking
Since 2009, the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) has been published annually by the Shanghai Ranking Consultancy. The ARWU Ranking of KIT by 2020 is # 201 and it has been the same since 2017.
Karlsruhe Institute Subject Ranking by ARWU
In addition, a subject specific ranking is published annually (ARWU-SUBJECT). The ranking for subject groups (ARWU-FIELD) was discontinued in 2017.
|Mathematics||# 401-500||# 28-34|
|Physics||# 76-100||# 6-7|
|Chemistry||# 76-100||# 3-9|
|Geosciences||# 101-150||# 3-12|
|Meteorology||# 28||# 1|
|Mechanical Engineering||# 76-100||# 2-3|
|Electrical Engineering & IT||# 201-230||# 7-9|
|Informatics||# 76-100||# 1-3|
|Chemical Engineering||# 101-150||# 2-3|
|Material Sciences & Technology||# 51-75||# 1-2|
|Energy Engineering||# 39||# 1|
|Water Science & Engineering||#76-100||# 3-5|
|Food Chemistry||# 201-300||# 3-9|
|Bioengineering Sciences||# 76-100||# 4|
|Mobility & Infrastructure||# 101-150||#1-3|
|Remote Sensing||# 51-57||#3|
|Business Engineering||# 201-300||# 8-16|
Karlsruhe Institute US News Ranking
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology is ranked #197 in Best Global Universities. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence.
- # 197 in Best Global Universities
- # 83 in Best Global Universities in Europe
- # 14 in Best Global Universities in Germany
Karlsruhe Institute Subject Ranking by US News
|Biology and Biochemistry||# 169|
|Biotechnology and Applied Microbiology||# 71|
|Chemical Engineering||# 116|
|Computer Science||# 108|
|Electrical and Electronic Engineering||# 239|
|Energy and Fuels||# 83|
|Materials Science||# 76|
|Nanoscience and Nanotechnology||# 117|
Karlsruhe Institute Webometrics Ranking
The Webometrics is compiled on the basis of measurements made at six-monthly intervals by the Spanish Centro Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC).University’s performance is measured on the basis of website activities and results, and on the impact and relevance of such activities and results. According to the measurement made in January 2020, the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology ranks 153rd in the world and 39th in Europe and 4th in Germany.
Karlsruhe Institute vs Other University Comparison
Comparison of Karlsruhe Institute of Technology with Technical University of Munich as per QS topuniversities:
|Basis||Karlsruhe Institute of Technology||Technical University of Munich|
|QS Rank 2017||#51- 100||# 40|
|Size||< 30,000||> 30,000|
|Age||< 100 years||> 100 years|
|Research||Very high||Very high|
|Academic Faculty staff||In total of 2,010||In total of 6,360|
|Student Numbers||In total of 23,938||In total of 40,665|
|International Students||In total of 5,301||In total of 12,673|
From the above given Rankings it is very clear that KIT, Germany is interactive, influential and research oriented. The news section of the University website is full of the Research works going on in the Institute as, KIT becomes Center for National High Performance Computing, 3D Image Data: Better Analysis is through Automation, Aerobuster Chases Flying Corona Viruses and many more like this .
KIT is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany. Their concept “The Research University in the Helmholtz Association I Living the Change”, with which they were successful in the Excellence Strategy Competition of the Federation and the Federal States in 2019, focuses on enhancing top-level research in the complete range from fundamental research to application. The Alumni’s of the Institute is crowded with famous Scholars and Noble winners too. Among them is Persons like Stefan Quandt, Alexander Gerst, Albert Speer, etc.