University of Malaya: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The University of Malaya, established in 1962 is one of the oldest universities in Malaysia; spread over 922 acres of land, located in the capital city Kuala Lumpur. The university was originally founded as King Edward VII College of medicine in 1905 which later in 1949 merged with Raffles College in Singapore to form Universiti of Malaya. It is the leading public university in Malaysia with a very high research output. The main aim of the university is to advance knowledge and learning through quality research education on a global level and become a globally influential and preferred university.
- Admission at University of Malaya 15,593 undergraduates out of which 1034 are international students. The postgraduate population includes 8592 students of which 2584 are international students.
- It offers more than 280 Undergraduate and postgraduate courses embracing a wide range of knowledge in Arts, business, science, and humanities.
- There is more than 60 research center under 6 research clusters at UM. Over 2800 publications of research works in various books, reports, Scopus, etc have been made by the university.
- The University has received several international awards and accolades like the Asian university alliance (AUA) scholar awards, International scholar exchange fellowship awards, etc.
|UG Application Portal||UPU (Unit Pengambilan Universiti)|
|Programs Offered||Undergraduate: 100+;
|Mode of Programs||Full time;
|Student: Faculty Ratio||6:1|
|Financial Aid||Not Available for International Students|
|Admission Helpdesk||+603-7967 7711 | email@example.com|
University of Malaya Ranking
Ranking of University of Malaya as per different agencies globally is taulated below:
|QS ranking||World university ranking||#59|
|THE Ranking||World university ranking||#301-350|
|CWUR||World university ranking||#409|
|CWUR||National university ranking||#1|
|US News and world report||Best global universities||#205|
|US News and world report||Best global universities in Asia||#26|
|US News and world report||Best Global university in Malaysia||#1|
|ARWU||World university ranking||#301-400|
University of Malaya Programs & Faculties
Programs at University of Malaya are designed with an all-encompassing approach to education in ensuring comprehensive teaching and learning experience. To its 30,000+ student population, the UM is offering 100+ undergraduate courses and 180 + postgraduate programs, categorized in 17 subject areas. Many of the UM subjects rank in the Top 100 in QS 2020 Subject Rankings. These include,
University of Malaya Campus
- UM campus is spread over 922 acres of land in the capital city Kuala Lumpur.
- It has 50 research centers, 13 residential colleges, 3 libraries, botanical gardens, food courts, etc.
- The library at UM holds 1.4 million titles with over 2.1 million items in different formats, 85 online databases with more than 46000 E-journal, and 1,50,000 E-books.
- The campus also has a student health clinic.
- The sports center at UM manages sport and recreational facilities. It offers excellent indoor, outdoor sports and recreational facilities like tennis courts, soccer and rugby fields, volleyballs & basketball fields, jogging track, badminton court, etc.
- The UM cooperative book shop offers supplies of Books and stationary equipment for sale.
- The transportation Unit of the student affairs and alumni department has a total of 22 buses and 16 drivers for students and staff of UM.
- UM has recently started its eco-campus initiative in 2018.
University of Malaya Accommodation
Situated in Kuala Lumpur, Universiti Malaya is the capital city’s only public university. Amongst many eye-catching gardens and infrastructures across the campus, it's main differentiating aspect is the UM’s focus on sustainability. In 2018, the university began its eco-campus initiative and by 2020 has turned its 75% campus area eco-friendly.
In terms of housing, the university has 13 residential colleges to accommodate around 11,000 students at a time. With more than 65% housing facilities offered to first-year students, the University of Malaya tries to ensure that freshmen do not have to struggle.
Of the 13 on-campus accommodation options, international students are welcome to apply for housing in four residential colleges. The details of which are tabulated below:
|Tun Ahmad Zaidi Residential College||729||600 RM- 1,500 RM|
|Raja Dr. Nazrin Shah Residential College||2990||450 RM|
|International House||N/A||2,500 RM|
Students, both domestic and international, are required to apply separately for the University of Malaya accommodation facilities. It is recommended that the students apply for the housing as early as possible, otherwise they will have to rely on off-campus accommodation. Compared to on-campus, off-campus housing facilities are expensive, ranging between 800 RM to 3000 RM/month.
University of Malaya Admission Process
The application process at Universiti Malaysia is thoroughly systemized with two intake sessions: September and February. International students are welcome to apply for admission at UM in both sessions. The application process for UG & PG students is common and as follows:
The application processing fee for both UG & PG applicants is 300 RM.
Documents required while applying for admission at University of Malaya are:
- Academic Transcripts, National High School Certificate with grades being 80% and above
- Diploma with CGPA more than 3.00
- Financial Statement for self-financing or letter of guarantee from the sponsor
- Interview in selective programs
- Malaysian student Visa Approval Letter (VAL)
- Minimum English Language Requirements
English Language Proficiency
University of Malaya Cost of Attendance
The entire Cost of attendance at Universiti Malaya includes tuition fees, on-campus/off-campus accommodation charges, Groceries, travel & stay in Malaysia, and other miscellaneous expenses. The estimated cost of attendance for an international student is tabulated below:
|Course/Expense Type||Cost (RM)|
|Bachelor of Biotechnology||11,265|
|Bachelor of Engineering||15,000 - 20,000|
|Master of Business Administration||52,625|
|MSc. Computer Science||35,962|
|MSc. Data Science||33,270|
|On-campus Accommodation||400 - 1,500|
|Off-campus Accommodation||800 -3,000|
|Food & Travel||1000|
As one of the leading universities in the World (#54), in Asia (#13), and Malaysia, the University of Malaya strives to ensure that the students receive advance knowledge and learning through quality education and research for their personal growth and for the growth of the nation and humanity.
University of Malaya Placements
- The career and industrial relationships and students unit is a newly established unit under the student affairs and alumni department.
- The main aim of the unit is to provide career-related skills to students of UM such as career decision making, job finding a strategy, or any other skills that will prepare them to face the working world.
- The unit also works jointly with the counseling and support unit to assist graduates in understanding their interests, abilities, and skills useful for their jobs.
- Some of the activities organized by the Unit for the career development of students are annual career exposure, career training seminars, on-campus interviews, job vacancies advertisement, Part-time jobs. Employer registration, etc.
- According to Emolument the highest paying degree at UM is Executive Masters with an average salary of 152,000 USD.
Ques. How prestigious is UM?
Ans. The University of Malaya is the Top leading research university in Malaysia which is ranked at #1 for best global university in Malaysia by US News and World report.
Ques. What is the application fee at UM?
Ans. The application fee at UM is 300 RM i.e 5400 Indian rupees.
Ques. Where can I apply?
Ans. Applicants can apply online at UM Application portal
Ques. How will I know the status of my application?
Ques. Is there an on-campus accommodation facility available for international students?
Ans. UM does not guarantee accomodation to international students. However, International students can take the help of the International Student Centre (ISC) at UM which will assist them to find on-campus accommodation if available.
Ques. What is the average cost of accommodation for international students at UM?
Ans. Average cost of accommodation for international students at UM ranges from 450 RM- 1800 RM per month.
Ques. How many admission intakes take place at UM?
Ans. There are two admission intakes at UM throughout the year, semester 1 in September and semester 2 in February.
Ques. What is the minimum qualification required for Ph.D. programs at UM?
Ans. Applicant needs to have a Bachelors degree with a minimum of 3.7 CGPA FOR Ph.D. programs at UM
Ques. What is the minimum required CGPA for a Masters's Degree program?
Ans. A minimum OF 3.0 CGPA is required for admission to the Master's Degree program.
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education
RANKED #301 - #350
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #126 - #150
Computer Science (International)
RANKED #151 - #175
RANKED #301 - #400
View More >>
QS World University
UM was recommended to me by a senior colleague who has worked for decades in South East Asia. Additionally, UM is a public funded research university and is ranked within top 60 globally with very high research output.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum is rigorous and was designed by academics having taught foreign and malaysian military and police officials. The research component takes to the higher level.
It is a very famous university for the people from where I come from. I have taken the visiting tour of the campus and got to know a little bit about the university and the courses. Thus I readily filled the application form and went ahead with the further processes.
Course Curriculum :
The course at the University of Malaya is actually great. The course benefited me to gain a practical and conceptual understanding of accounting methods and techniques. It helped me to apply concepts, principles, and techniques in related accounting disciplines while I was working on my projects. I feel the course has been framed to get a good placement opportunity.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Super Market
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary