Maastricht University Admissions 2020-2021, Application Process, Deadlines & Requirements
Every year Maastricht University receives over 10,000 applications for only 225 undergraduate seats. In 2018, a total of 18,086 students enrolled themselves, which is much higher than the enrollment number of 16,861 for the year 2016. Notably, international applicants accounted for 53% of the total enrolled students. This clearly implies that Maastricht University has become relatively more receptive over the years.
The University offers 19 Bachelor’s programs and 89 Master’s programs. Applicants must follow the steps given below to apply for Maastricht University Admissions:
- Firstly, applicants must check whether they meet the eligibility criteria set for their program of choice.
- Then applicants should register themselves through the ‘Studielink’.
- The supporting documents should be submitted at MyUM and registration should be completed
- After this, applicants must wait for the Board of Admissions to assess the application.
|Application Portal||Register at StudieLink- https://student.sl-cloud.nl/|
|Application Fee||Bachelor courses have no Handling fee
Masters courses- 100 Euro (excl. bank costs)
|GPA Range||Varies as per the Programme|
|TOEFL (Paper Based, Internet Based)||Accepted|
Maastricht University Admission Deadlines
The Deadlines vary from course to course. A majority of the courses commence in the month of September, however, there a few programs that start in February. Given below are the deadlines that international students must adhere to while applying for undergraduate or graduate programs.
|Type of Program||Deadline|
|Undergraduate program with a matching procedure||April 1|
|Economics and Business Economics program||January 15 (Early application)
April 15 (Final application Deadline)
|Data Science and Knowledge Engineering program||April 1|
|Fixus Program||January 15|
|Master’s Program starting on February 1||November 1 (of the previous academic year)|
|Master’s Program starting on September 1||May 1 (of the previous academic year)|
Maastricht University Undergraduate Admissions
The Undergraduate admission takes place in the following general steps. They are as follows:
- Apply via StudieLink and is you are eligible for admission based on your previous qualifications you will be admitted. Each course has specific admission requirements.
- Adhere to all the deadlines as provided on StudieLink
- If you are ‘Eligible’ for admission you have to submit all the relevant degrees and documents as prescribed. All the relevant documents mean include transcripts and English test scores.
- Adhere to the relevant course-specific requirements
- Once this has been completed, tuition fees have to be made.
- All additional subject requirements can be checked through the links below
English Proficiency Test Score
Before applying, applicants must ensure that have checked if the course chosen by them is taught in Dutch language or English. If English is not their native language then they have to submit the English Test Scores to prove proficiency.
The minimum IELTS score range is provided below as per the level of study.
|Test||Minimum Score Range|
Visa Information for International Students
Students from the European Economic Area or Switzerland do not need a visa or a residence permit to be allowed to live in the Netherlands.
For students from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, The United States or Vatican City, do not require a visa, but a residence permit if they are going to study in the Netherlands.
Students from the remaining countries require a Netherlands student Visa and residence permit if their study period exceeds 90 days. The visa can be obtained after an inquiry at the Dutch Embassy. The following points should be noted before applying for the Netherlands Student Visa.
- Application for a residence permit can only be made via Maastricht University.
- The application starts automatically after you have been admitted to a program
- The service is free of charge.
- Statutory cost of 171 Euro has to be paid for the Residence cost.
- The Dutch Immigration will never contact anyone by phone nor will it ask any applicant to transfer money.
Maastricht University Graduate Admissions
The application procedure remains the same as undergraduate courses. Application for Masters programs can only be made only after completion of a Bachelor's degree. The course-specific requirements can be obtained from the University website. The following table provides information on popular courses offered by the university.
|Course||Academic Requirements||Minimum English Language Proficiency Scores|
|Advanced Master in Intellectual Property Law and Knowledge Management (LLM/MSc)||Transcripts; C.V; Letter of Motivation; 2 letters of Recommendation; Complete the questionnaire; GPA of 2.1 and above; Recognised Masters in Economics, political science or International Relations; Demonstrate knowledge in Intellectual Property Law||IELTS- Minimum 6.5 in writing & overall score of 6.5 or Overall Minimum score- 7
TOEFL (pBT)- 575
(iBT)- 100 overall
|Masters in Artificial Intelligence||C.V; Transcripts from prior degrees in relevant courses like Computer Science,
Programming or Mathematics; Essay of Motivation
|Masters in Policy, Management, and Education||Transcripts of previous degrees; C.V; Letter of Motivation; Writing Sample||IELTS- 6.5
|Masters in Biobased Materials||C.V; Letter of Motivation; 2 letters of recommendation;
Transcripts of degrees from relevant fields like Chemistry, Biotechnology, Biological studies
|Masters in Biomedical Sciences||GRE; C.V; Transcripts from relevant courses like Biology,
Biomedical Sciences, Health Sciences, Life Sciences
Once the application process is over, applicants are notified about the admission decision through an email. Three types of decisions are rendered by the university, i.e., normal admission, conditional admission and admission request rejection. Students who are offered admission on a conditional basis are required to meet certain additional requirements to prove their candidature, which may include uptaking certain pathway programs or tests.
A few of the programs may require applicants to appear for an entrance test or interview as part of the admission process in addition to the academic requirements. Thus applicants are recommended to check for the admission prerequisites carefully before applying for admission at Maastricht University.