Otago Business School Ranking, Admission Process, Tuition Fee, Cost & Expenses
The Otago Business School is a prestigious business college under the public University of Otago, New Zealand’s oldest university, founded in 1869. It has been accredited by EQUIS and AACSB to offer bachelor, MBA, masters, and multi-discipline degrees in the business disciplines, such as accounting, economics, finance, management, etc.
The medium of instruction is English. The institution is located in Dunedin, Otago, wherein students will be able to enjoy their student lives in one of the most vibrant and beautiful cities in New Zealand.
Why choose Otago Business School?
Here is why you should choose the Otago Business School over others.
- The Otago Business School is an institution under the University of Otago which has a QS Global World Ranking of 175 in 2018/19 QS World University Rankings. It first received a Five Stars Plus QS Stars University rating in 2016.
- It has a Times Higher Education World University Ranking of 201 in 2019.
- The University of Otago has an ARWU Ranking of 151.
- The University of Otago stands at the forefront of New Zealand for research. The Otago Business School is dedicated to ensuring research excellence and is engaged in close consultation with leaders in business. Therefore, the business education provided is at an elite level. Moreover, the lecturers at the Otago Business School are often acknowledged with teaching awards.
- The Otago Business School offers students opportunities to fortify their degrees such as International Student Exchange Programme, Audacious Business Challenge, Undergraduate Internship Programme, Honours or postgraduate study, Practical projects at the undergraduate and postgraduate level, and many more.
- The Otago Business School has been internationally accredited by EQUIS and AACSB.
- The recently redeveloped Otago Business School complex, which cost $18.5 million, won an excellence award in the education category of the New Zealand Property Council Awards.
- The campus life is fulfilling and satisfying as students get to live close to the University in the central city, interact with students from all over the world and also participate in extra-curricular sports and clubs.
- The cost of studying is lower at Otago as compared to other New Zealand universities. The cost of accommodation is low in Dunedin, Otago and there are few transport costs.
- The University of Otago offers services and support to its students from enrollment through graduation and as an alumnus.
- The international reputation of the University of Otago and its close ties with the business community along with its Career Development Centre ensure great career opportunities for its students.
What do students say?
- Students at Otago Business School have praised the college for their support staff, great classes and the wholesome learning environment it offers.
- Students have also said that it is a world-class campus in a beautiful city, with awesome student culture.
- The Otago Business School offers an Internship Programme to its students. A student who recently finished the Internship Programme said that working in a professional environment is an amazing opportunity to put the theory learned in class into practice and also for networking.
- Recent alumni said that the Business Case Competitions conducted by Otago Business School helped them shape their study at Otago. They were able to compete internationally and they said it was an excellent tool for networking with both students and figures in the business community.
|Type of University||Public|
|Number of undergraduate seats||15,098|
|Number of postgraduate seats||3,051|
|Percentage of international students||15.47%|
|Test scores accepted||International students must have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 in the academic module (with no individual band below 6.0),|
Internet-based TOEFL Score of 80 (writing 20) or
Paper-based TOEFL Score of 550 (TWE 4.5)
Otago Business School Campus
- The University of Otago has 15 residential colleges located near the campus.
- All the residential colleges are official residential areas of the University of Otago and are within walking distance from the campus.
- The residential colleges offer a comfortable community-living experience to the students.
Otago Business School Residence
- Residential colleges are the centers for official accommodation provided by the University of Otago.
- There are fifteen residential colleges that students can live in. Each of these residential colleges is within walking distance from the campus.
- All 15 residential colleges together offer 3,428 beds.
- Other features offered within the residential colleges are full catering, gym facilities, study rooms, recreational facilities, laundry facilities, music facilities, etc.
- The average cost of housing per year is around 16,000 NZD.
Otago Business School Programs
The Otago Business School offers bachelor’s, masters and multi-discipline degrees. It also offers postgraduate diplomas.
- Otago Business School currently offers sixteen courses.
- The fields of study are accounting, economics and business administration. Marketing is an option as well.
- Otago Business School offers programs at the undergraduate, graduate and executive level.
- Otago Business School has a highly accredited MBA course.
All you need to know about the Application Process
A short description of the admission process of Otago Business is given in this section.
International applicants must submit the following:
- Applicants must provide scanned copies of your previous official academic transcripts (awards gained, marks, grades) with their application.
- Applicants may be required to submit an Educational Credential Evaluators report (ECE).
- Applicants must provide scanned copies of their passport or birth certificate. It must be certified by a person of suitable authority
- The international entrance requirements for the University of Otago vary from country to country.
- International students must have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 in the academic module (with no individual band below 6.0), Internet-based TOEFL Score of 80 (writing 20) or Paper-based TOEFL Score of 550 (TWE 4.5)
How, When and Where to Apply
- Applicants must first choose a program and then they will be prompted to create an eVision account which is the admission portal for the university.
- Applicants will be guided through the eVision portal to complete and submit their applications. Applications through the eVision portal will begin as early as May.
- There is no application fee.
- The deadlines for application are as follows:
- Undergraduate International Student Applications close: October 31
- Postgraduate International Student Applications close: October 31
Otago Business School Costs and Expenses
The average costs incurred by students at Otago Business School are given below.
|Costs||Residential College||Shared Flat|
|Accommodation Fee (38 weeks)||15,390 NZD||-|
|Average rent (52 weeks at 150 NZD)||-||7,800 NZD|
|Food (40 weeks at 80 NZD)||-||3,200 NZD|
|Gas/electricity, internet (52 weeks)||-||1,300 NZD|
|Personal costs (40 weeks at 60 NZD)||2,400 NZD||2,400 NZD|
|Entertainment (40 weeks at 50 NZD)||2,000 NZD||2,000 NZD|
|Total||19,790 NZD||16,700 NZD|
|Type of Student||Undergraduate||Postgraduate|
|Domestic business student||5,642 NZD||8,028 NZD|
|International business student||17,812 NZD||18,836 NZD|
Otago Business School Scholarship and Financial Aids
The Otago Business School and the University of Otago offer a range of scholarships to students pursuing business programs. A few are listed below:
University of Otago Coursework Master's Scholarship
- Award: 10,000 NZD
- Every applicant must submit an application on the prescribed form. For applicants yet to enroll in their chosen degree, this must accompany their application for admission to the degree.
- Applicants must be obtaining their first Otago Coursework Master's qualification.
E Rewa Begg Scholarship
- Award: 2,000 NZD
- How to apply:
- Apply for the scholarship by downloading the form.
- Applicants must be undertaking a full-time course of study within the University of Otago Business School and be a second-year student of the course of the degree of Bachelor of Commerce.
University of Otago International Master's Research Scholarship
- Award: stipend of 15,000 per annum plus a tuition fee waiver for 1 year capped at the domestic rate for Master's study
- How to apply:
- Applications are made online through the eVision portal.
- Applicants must be obtaining their first Master's qualification, international students, and undertaking a thesis-based Master's.
- Selection is based predominantly on academic merit and the applicant’s potential for research.
Work while you study
Students can work while they study at Otago Business School. The following are some popular options:
- Otago Business School offers its students the Otago Internship Programme which enables students to gain valuable paid work experience and earn credits towards their degrees.
- There are several websites and organizations in Dunedin, Otago to help students find casual work during the year, or in the summer break.
- The international office of the University can be approached for guidance.
- Student Job Search is a free service to tertiary students and employers that connects tertiary students looking for casual and part-time work.
Otago Business School Alumni Network
Otago Business School alumni are offered benefits like employment assistance, business partnerships, library membership, IT training courses, and several others.
Some notable Alumni of the Gatton College of Business and Economics are Bhavneet Chahal, Greg Rawson, Jennifer Andrewes, Katie Lane, and Kit Macgillivray.