Established in 1873, the University of Canterbury is rated in the top 1% Universities worldwide. The University is widely acknowledged for research-led education and ranked in top 100 for Civil and Structural Engineering. It houses 13,450 students including 2,168 international students coming from 100+ countries.
|University Type||Public University|
|No. of Campuses||1 main campus|
|No. of Residence Halls||10|
|Graduate Job Rate||89.9% (full time)|
|Research Funding||Above 600,000 NZD pa|
|Cost of Attendance||29,550 NZD pa|
|Intake Type||Semester wise|
|Mode of Program||Full time and online|
Programs, Campus and Residence
- The University offers more than 120 degrees in more than 150 study areas.
- Spread across 76 hectares, the UC has 10 residence halls including 6 residence halls for 1st-year students.
- UC has 150+ clubs from clubs covering students belonging to different religious groups and ethnicities and having varying subject interests.
University of Otago Admission Process
- Application: Apply online through ‘myUC’ and later complete the application process in person.
UG: Semester I: 31 October 2018; Semester II: 30 April
PG: 6 months prior to the planned start date.
- General requirements: Academic transcripts, Original certificate of last exam passed, ID proof.
- Additional requirements: Personal statement, CV, Passport copy, Student Visa, and medical and travel insurance.
- English Proficiency Test: Students need to clear either of the tests given below or may demonstrate the previous study in an English environment.
|English Proficiency Test||Minimum Scores for UG||Minimum Scores for PG|
|EAP at CCEL||EAP2 Grade C+||EAP2 Grade B+|
- The weekly living cost for an international student staying at a residential hall/flat/homestay is 384.50 NZD, 305.75 NZD, and 360 NZD, respectively.
- Application deadline for accommodation: December 1 (February intake); May 1 (June intake).
Those enrolled in full-time programmes may work on-campus for 20 hours per week. Students may avail scholarships such as:
- International First Year Scholarship: 25 scholarships; Value- 20,000 NZD.
- UC Masters Scholarships: 25 Scholarships; tuition fees at the domestic rate.
- UC International Doctoral Scholarships: tuition fees at the domestic rate + 21,000 NZD.
- New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarships (NZIDRS): tuition fees at the domestic rate + 25,000 NZD + medical insurance up to 600 NZD per annum.
- The alumni may access benefits such as memberships, discounts, academic transcripts, career advice, and gifts.
- UC has many notable alumni such as Ernest Rutherford, John Key, and Helen Connon.