TERI (The Energy and Resources Institute) is an independent research institute in New Delhi. The University was set up on the 19th of August, 1998, named TERI School of Advanced Studies. The University was renamed as TERI University and granted "Deemed to be University" status by the University Grants Commission and notified through Ministry of Human Resources Development, Department of Education, Government of India, on October 5, 1999.
- The origin of this University is rooted in the various activities related to consultancy, outreach activities and comprehensive research.
- The institute has been globally recognized for its immense contribution to the development to the field of science and policy research.
- The TERI University campus was inaugurated by the then President of India, Shrimati Pratibha Devi Singh Patil on the 11th of September, in the year 2008.
- Teri University is the globe's rank first University in the field of Sustainability. TERI University has been accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council as a 'A' grade university
- The campus is equipped with three types of cooling systems: the Earth Air Tunnel (EAT),VariableRefrigerant Volume System (VRV) and Thermal Mass Storage (TMS).The EAT used in the hostel block uses the heat sink property of the earth to maintain comfortable temperatures inside the building.
International Collaboration: TERI University has entered into memorandums of understanding with several international universities aimed at facilitating mutually beneficial exchange of students, faculty, knowledge etc. Some of these institutes are-
- Yale University (School of Forestry and Environmental Studies)
- University of Berlin, Germany
- Deakin University, Australia
- North Carolina State University, USA
- University of Glamorgan, UK
- Technical University of Denmark etc.
Academics – There are some departments in the University which offer Masters and doctoral degrees. They are as follows:
- Department of natural resources
- Centre for Bio-resources and biotechnology
- Centre for energy and environment
- Department of policy studies
- Centre for regulatory and policy research
- Department of Business Sustainability
Extracurricular: TERI University hosts a wide range of programs and competitions, including cultural events, workshops, seminars, book fairs, and annual festivals. The University has three active clubs on campus-
- TERI University Music Appreciation Club (TUMAC) - organizes music performances by students as well as external artists
- TERI sports club (TSC) - Organizes Sports events.
- The Eco-Club - organizes environment related events such as 'No Plastic Day' and 'Earth Day celebrations'.
Facilities: University provides best infrastructural, academic and other basic amenities to the students. Some of them are described below-
The green building has 10 classrooms, each having the capacity for 32 students, 3 lecture halls with the capacity for 60 people and an auditorium with the capacity for 80 to 100 people. The building also has 10 well-equipped laboratories along with a well-stocked conference hall.
Facilities available for separate boys’ and girls’ hostels include-
- A well-equipped gym
- Basketball playing area
- Recreational room to watch television and play carom and chess
- Music Room etc.
TERI library comprises of following facilities-
- Literature searches/document supply
- E-documents, E-Annual Reports, E-Books, E-Government Documents, E-Reference Collection
- Inter-library loan and Institutional Memberships covering all major libraries of Delhi
eg. American Information Center, BCL, DELNET, DU, IIT, JNU
- Access to customized digital information services
- The web-enabled Integrated Digital Information System
All buildings, including the hostels, faculty block, academic block, computer center, and the library, are connected through a fast internet-switched network. All classrooms are networked and are equipped with high resolution LCD projection systems.
The computer and geo informatics laboratories provide access to a variety of specialized software like ArcGIS, TRANSYS, MATLAB and STATA etc.
The Media Lab at TERI University aims at development of e-content for university education in environmental science courses.
The media lab is equipped with a digital glass notebook for live interaction, two High Definition (HD) plasma screens for clear picture view, Sony Digital Video Recorder (DVR), and 1 Terabyte (TB) of storage server for archiving the course material.
- In 2012, the university was awarded the India Today Award for the Most Innovative Curriculum for incorporating elements in education that are the need of the hour by understanding and adapting to change
- In 2013, was awarded as the "Greenest University and Research Institution" by RTCC at COP 19 at Warsaw.