IIT Kharagpur, ranked 5th for Overall Engineering and Management Categories by NIRF 2020, has maintained its standards of excellence. The institute is also positioned at 1st by NIRF 2020 among Architecture Institute of India and 4th among top 30 Government Engineering Colleges of India by Outlook ICARE in 2020. Recently, QS World Ranking 2021 ranks IIT KGP at #314 and #58 in QS Asia Ranking 2021. IITKG is also placed among the top 50 in QS Subject Ranking 2021 in Mineral & Mining Engineering and achieved the highest rank i.e. #44 worldwide. IIT Kharagpur Ranking 2021
IIT Kharagpur consists of 19 Departments, 13 Schools, and 9 Centres of Excellence. The institute is famous for its flagship program B.Tech is offered in 14 specializations. The cutoff for IIT KGP ranges between 183 for CSE and 8104 for Agricultural & Food Engineering for the general category. The average first-year fees for students taking admission into IIT Kharagpur BTech is INR 82,070.
Apart from B.Tech, IIT KGP offers B.Arch. & LLB at UG level and Joint M.Tech/MCP-Ph.D., MBA, EMBA, MMST & LLM at PG level. MBA & EMBA courses are offered through VGSoM. The institute also offers Dual Degree and Doctoral programs. B.Tech at IIT Kharagpur had over 86% placement record.
IIT Kharagpur consists of 19 Departments, 13 Schools and 9 Centres of Excellence. The institute is famous for its flagship programme B.Tech which if offered in 14 specializations. Apart from B.Tech, IIT KGP offers B.Arch. & LLB at UG level and Joint M.Tech/MCP-Ph.D., MBA, EMBA, MMST & LLM at PG level. MBA & EMBA courses are offered through VGSoM. The institute also offers Dual Degree and Doctoral programmes. Know more about IIT Kharagpur Courses & Fees.
Admission to all these courses are based on entrance score mentioned as follows:
- B.Tech/ UG Integrated Programmes - JEE Advanced followed by JoSAA Counselling
- B.Arch. - JEE Main Paper 2 and AAT score followed by JoSAA Counselling
- M.Tech./ MCP-Ph.D. - GATE
- M.Sc/ Integrated M.Sc. - IIT JAM
- MMST - Online Entrance Exam conducted by IIT KGP
- MBA - CAT followed by PI
- EMBA - Written Exam followed by PI
- LLB and LLM - Written Test followed by PI
- Ph.D. - GATE/ UGC-NET/ CSIR-NET/ INSPIRE/ ICAR or ICMR score OR Written Test and Interview
Read More: IIT Kharagpur Admission 2021
IIT Kharagpur Quick Facts
- IIT Kharagpur is popularly known for its most famous B.Tech programme. It is ranked at 5th position for Engineering by NIRF 2020. Check IIT Kharagpur Ranking
- The current faculty students ratio stands at 13:1 with more than 840 faculty members. Majority of the faculty members are prestigious Ph.D holders from reputed universities. Read more about IIT Kharagpur Faculty.
- IIT Kharagpur extends financial support to the deserving students through various scholarship schemes who otherwise could not afford to attain quality education.
- For the placements of Batch 2020-21, IIT Kharagpur witnessed a total of 1000 placement offers and 276 pre placement offers. Check IIT Kharagpur Placements.
- The fee structure for the B.Tech programme is INR 3.16 L. It is quite affordable as compared to other top notch IITs.
- Many clubs such as Dance, Music, Robotics, Art etc are run by the students of IIT Kharagpur generating a plethora of opportunities for extra curricular activities.
- IIT Kharagpur Admission are based on the marks secured by candidates in the entrance exam followed by Counselling or PI.
IIT Kharagpur Rankings
Being in the list of top Engineering Institutes of India, IIT Kharagpur has achieved 5th rank for Engineering and 1st rank for Architecture by NIRF 2020. It is also ranked at #314 by QS World Ranking 2021.
The table shows IIT Kharagpur Rankings at National and International levels:
|QS Subject||2021||44 (Highest)|
|NIRF Architecture Category||2020||1|
|NIRF Engineering Category||2020||5|
|NIRF Management Category||2020||5|
|NIRF Overall Category||2020||5|
|Times Higher Education Emerging Economies||2020||2|
|Times Higher Education||2019||401 out of 500|
IIT Kharagpur JEE Advanced Cutoff
IIT KGP Cutoff for B.Tech course based on JEE Advanced is tabulated below for different categories:
|Computer Science & Engineering||283||72||119||39||20|
|Electronics & Electrical Communication Engineering||932||353||407||166||74|
|Metallurgical & Materials Engineering||5454||1578||2352||794||494|
|Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering||6312||1819||3155||871||701|
|Agricultural & Food Engineering||8104||2134||3509||1003||828|
|Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering||7112||1993||3056||843||727|
IIT Kharagpur Courses, Details & Fees
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur offers a variety of courses under different specializations. Given below are the details for the same:
|Course Name||Deatils||Tuition Fee|
Eligibility: 10+2 with PCM/PCB and minimum required marks
Selection Criteria: JEE Advanced + JoSAA Counselling
Eligibility: 10+2 with PCMand minimum required marks
Selection Criteria: JEE Main Paper 2 + AAT + JoSAA Counselling
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology/Medicine OR Master’s degree in Science/Pharmacy OR MBA with first class
Selection Criteria: Written Test + PI
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture OR M.Sc with 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST/PWD)
Selection Criteria: GATE
Eligibility: Bachelor’s in relevant discipline with 55% marks (50% for ST/SC/PWD)
Selection Criteria: IIT JAM
Eligibility: 5-years LL.B/BL OR 3-year LL.B/BL and 3-year Bachelor’s degree in Humanities/ Science/ Commerce with first-class OR LLB (Hons) in Intellectual Property Law with CGPA of 8.5
Selection Criteria: Written Test + PI
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Technology or Master’s degree in Science, Economics and Commerce with 60% marks (55% for reserved categories)
Selection Criteria: CAT + PI
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Technology or Master’s degree in Science, Economics or Commerce with 1st class and a minimum of 3-years work experience
Selection Criteria: Written Test + PI
Eligibility: MBBS degree with 55% marks and Mathematics at 10+2
Selection Criteria: Online Entrance Test
Eligibility: 10+2 with PCM and minimum required marks
Selection Criteria: JEE Advanced + JoSAA Counselling
Eligibility: 10+2 with 75% marks (65% for SC/ST) with PCM
Selection Criteria: IIT JAM
Eligibility: 60% marks in the qualifying examination in Engineering/Science/Commerce/Management
Selection Criteria: GATE/ UGC-NET/ CSIR-NET/ INSPIRE/ ICAR or ICMR score OR Written Test and Interview
IIT Kharagpur M.Tech
IIT Kharagpur offers a Joint M.Tech/MCP-Ph.D. program in 47 streams to full-time and sponsored candidates. The basic requirement for admission into the M.Tech program at IIT Kharagpur is a valid GATE exam score. However, non-GATE students who have completed their B.Tech degrees from IITs with a CGPA of 8.0 may also get admission to the M.Tech program.
The institute also encourages its students to enroll in the Ph.D. program if they have completed their first year of the M.Tech/MCP program with CGPA 8.0. With this joint program, students can receive their M.Tech/MCP and Ph.D. degrees after completing their doctorate.
IIT Kharagpur M.Tech Cutoff
The table below shows the IIT Kharagpur GATE 2020 cutoff for each specialization.
|Civil Engineering (CE)||31-32||28-29||21-22|
|Instrumentation Engineering (IN)||35-40||30-35||25-30|
|Architecture and Planning (AR)||34-35||31-32||23-24|
|Biomedical Engineering (BM)||25-26||22-23||16-17|
|Mining Engineering (MN)||32-33||29-30||21-22|
|Geology and Geophysics (GG)||35-45||30-40||20-30|
|Computer Science and Information Technology (CS)||30-35||--||--|
|Chemical Engineering (CH)||35-40||--||--|
|Textile Engineering and Fibre Science (TF)||35-40||--||--|
IIT Kharagpur Placements
IIT Kharagpur concluded its placement session 2020-21 with over 30 companies participating on the very first day. The key highlights of IIT Kharagpur Placement 2020 are as follows-
- A total of 276 pre placement offers were extended to the meritorious students
- 130+ placement offers were made on the first day of placements
- 30 International offers were made to the students by Day 8.
- 220 companies participated in the first phase of placements
- The Placement saw an increase of 9% and 31% in mean and median CTC’s this year.
- The placement rate also increased by 8% and is recorded as 93%, from 85% last year.
- The average package offered stood at 19 LPAElectornics & Electrical Communication Engineering
- 130 students got placed on Day 1 of Placements while 1000 students received placements offers on Day 8
- 5 offers were made exceeding the crore mark
Many reputed companies visited the campus and attracted the best talent. Some of the best organisations offering the best placement opportunities are as follows-
|Barclays||Goldman Sachs||Dr Reddy||Cognizant|
Recruiters such as Barclay, Goldman Sachs, Honeywell, Microsoft, MasterCard, Dr. Reddy, Tata Steel have offered more than 10 PPOs each.
The table below shows the details regarding recent Placements held at IIT KGP.
|Total No. of Participating Companies||30 (Day-1)|
|No. of Companies Registered||200 (Phase-1)|
|No. of Registered Students||2100|
|No. of PPOs||276|
|No. of Offers||130 (Day-1)|
|Average CTC||INR. 19 LPA (Day-8)|
|No. of International Offers||30|
Following are Domain Distribution for the Final Placements:
The course-wise placements are tabulated below:
|Courses||No. of Students Registered||No. of Students Placed|
IIT Kharagpur Scholarships
IIT Kharagpur extends financial support to the needy and deserving students. Various scholarship schemes are available for the students who wish to pursue their education in the top IITs. The schemes for scholarships are as follows:
- IIT Kharagpur caters to the needs of around 1000 students by providing scholarships through various means
- 1000+ students receive merit-cum-means based scholarships
- The alumni of IIT Kharagpur also helps the needy students by providing financial aid.
- IIT kharagpur also offers free tuition facilities along with hundreds of endowment prizes.
Some of the IIT Kharagpur Scholarships are:
- Merit cum Means Scholarship
- Inspire Scholarship
- Free Mess and Pocket Allowance
- My Imprint Special Assistance
- Organizational Scholarships & Fellowships
- Alumni Scholarships & Awards
- SGR International Travel Grant
- Incubation Support for Student Enterprises
IIT Kharagpur Faculty
IIT Kharagpur has a bunch of hardworking and knowledgeable professors from reputed institutions. For every 13 students there is 1 teacher i.e, the student/faculty ratio is 13:1 with a total of 841 faculty members. The entire faculty of IIT Kharagpur is very experienced and well versed in their subject matter. Members of the IIT Kharagpur Faculty are cooperative towards students and always encourage them to ask questions and clarify their concepts as much as they can, by being available to students even outside lectures and classes. The faculty consists of a dedicated team of professors, associate professors and assistant professors.
IIT Kharagpur Notable Alumni
The notable alumni of IIT Kharagpur include popular Indian entities who have earned their name in Indian society. Some of the famous IIT Kharagpur notable alumni are as follows:
- Arvind Kejriwal: Indian politician, a former bureaucrat. Current and 7th Chief Minister of Delhi since February 2015. He was also the Chief Minister of Delhi from December 2013 to February 2014, stepping down after 49 days of assuming power.
- Sundar Pichai: Real name- Pichai Sundararajan. He is an Indian-American business executive and CEO of Alphabet In. and Google.
- Arjun Malhotra: Indian entrepreneur, Industrialist, Philanthropist, Co-founder of HCL Group (where he served as vice-chairman). He also founded TechSpan and served as chief executive officer of US-based firm Headstrong.
IIT Kharagpur FAQs
Ques. How is IIT Kharagpur as an educational institution?
Ans. IIT Kharagpur is one of the oldest IITs in India established in 1951. It has a 2100 acres campus with some of the best facilities, and top of the business architecture. It has an excellent alumni network and provides great opportunities to it’s students.
Ques. How is the student life at IIT KGP?
Ans. Surveys show that IIT Kharagpur has one of the best campus life in the country. Students are welcome to stay in the campus which is 2100 acres big. They get their own hostel rooms with the best facilities. Students can also enjoy a host of sporting activities in the campus that is well equipped with basketball and tennis courts, football ground and other indoor facilities. They also have access to LAN internet 24x7 which facilitates their studies and other activities.
Ques. What are the different events students can enjoy at IIT Kharagpur?
Ans. The different events in which students can indulge themselves at IIT Kharagpur are as follows:
- The General Championship: This is the university’s in-house competitions. The results of which later contribute to the points that determine the winner of the General Championship. The four categories in which General Championships are decided are Sports, Social and Cultural Activities, Technology, and Hall affairs.
- IIT Kharagpur hosts different festivals such as the Spring Fest, Kshitij. Spring Fest, the annual socio-cultural fest of IIT Kharagpur is the largest student managed socio-cultural fest of Asia. Robotix, or the annual robotics competition held by IIT Kharagpur, is also organised during Kshitij.
- There are multiple students organisations and groups such as Autonomous Ground Vehicle (AGV) Research Group, Kharagpur Robosoccer Students' Group (KRSSG), Team KART (Kharagpur Automobile Racing Team), and the Entrepreneurship Cell.
Ques. How is the placement avenue at IIT Kharagpur?
Ans. IIT Kharagpur has a devoted placement cell which aims to place all its students in different sectors and industries. IIT Kharagpur concluded its placement session 2020-21 with over 30 companies participating on the very first day. The Placement saw an increase of 9% and 31% in mean and median CTC’s this year.
The placement rate also increased by 8% and is recorded as 93%, from 85% last year.
Ques. What is the gender ratio at IIT KGP?
Ans. The gender ratio is not very impressive at IIT Kharagpur. The male:female:others ratio is 8218:1989: 9. However, the institution has been making relentless efforts to increase their intake of female and other students.
Ques. Does IIT Kharagpur offer scholarships to UG students?
Ans. Yes, a Merit-cum-means scholarship of INR 1000 p.m. & a tuition fee waiver is awarded to 25% of students admitted under B.Tech and B.Arch.
Ques. What kind of accommodation is available for the students of IIT KGP?
Ans. The First undergraduate year students are accommodated in various Halls of Residence within the campus. Hostel facilities are provided for both Girls and Boys.
Ques. Is IIT Kharagpur better than IIT Delhi?
Ans. Recently it was reported that IIT Delhi improved its Positive Business Outlook whereas IIT Kharagpur has improved its Overall Rating, Work-life balance, Culture & Values, and CEO Approval. Both tied in 4 areas: Career Opportunities, Compensation & Benefits, Senior Management, and % Recommend to a friend.
Ques. What is the flagship program of IIT Kharagpur?
Ans. IIT Kharagpur’s flagship program is B.Tech with Computer and Science Engineering and Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering. Graduates from this program are offered attractive job offers in the final placement drive.
Ques. What is the cutoff score for the MBA program at IIT Kharagpur?
Ans. IIT Kharagpur accepts MBA applications with a minimum of 90 percentile in the CAT exam for general category applicants. Further applicants are selected on the basis of academic records and personal interviews conducted by the institute.