Updated On - September 27th 2019 by PRATYASHA
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, popularly known as IIT Kharagpur or IIT KGP, was established in the year 1951. It is a Public Engineering Institute and is located in Kharagpur, West Bengal. The institute offers B.Tech, B.Arch., Integrated, LLB, LLM, M.Tech., MCP, M.Sc., MBA, EMBA, MMST, and Ph.D. program to the aspirants. Admissions are based on the marks secured by the students in the following entrance tests -
IIT Kharagpur Highlights
|Type of Programs||UG, PG, Ph.D. and Dual-Degree|
|Entrance Exam||JEE Main, JEE Advanced, GATE, JAM, CAT|
|Application Mode||Online |
IIT Kharagpur Courses
The Institute offers a variety of courses under different specializations. Given below are the details for the same:
|B.Tech (Hons)||Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Agricultural and Food Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mining Engineering, ||Intermediate graduate with 75% marks (65% for SC/ST) with PCM/PCB. |
|B.Arch||Architecture and Regional Planning||Intermediate graduate with 75% marks (65% for SC/ST) with PCM|
|LL.B.||-||Bachelor’s in Engineering/Technology/Medicine OR M.Sc OR MBA with 60% marks (55% for SC/ST/PwD)|
|M.Sc||Geophysics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Geology, Statistics and Information,||Bachelor’s in relevant discipline with 55% marks (50% for ST/SC/OBC)|
|LL.M||-||LL.B with 60% marks in aggregate |
|MBA||Finance, Marketing, Operations, Systems, General Management, Human Resources||B.E/B.Tech or Master’s degree in Science, Economics and Commerce with 60% marks (55% for reserved categories)|
|Ph.D.||Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mining Engineering, Agricultural and Food Engineering, Biotechnology, Computer science and Engineering and more||60% marks in the qualifying examination in Engineering/Science/Commerce/Management|
|B.Tech + M.Tech||Auto Communication, Control System Engineering, Power and Energy System, Civil Engineering Dual Degree, Transportation Engineering, Aquaculture Engineering and more||Intermediate graduate with 75% marks (65% for SC/ST) with PCM|
|Dual MS Research + Ph.D.||Chemistry, Physics, Economics, Mathematics, Geophysics, Geology||Graduate in relevant discipline with 55% marks (50% marks for SC/ST/OBC)|
Check here IIT Kharagpur Courses and Fee
IIT Kharagpur Admission
Candidates seeking admission in the Institute will be selected on the basis of the following entrance examinations:
- For admission in B.Tech. the program has to go through a national level entrance test, known as JEE Main while those willing to take admission in B.Arch. and integrated B.Tech. + M.Tech needs to go through JEE Advanced. LLB program candidates have to appear in an entrance test conducted by IIT.
- M.Tech and M.Sc: To seek admission in M.Sc and integrated M.Sc. programs, candidates need to go through an entrance exam, commonly known as JAM (Joint Admission Test.
- MBA, MHRM, LLM, MMST and MCP + Ph.D.: Admission to MBA and MHRM programs is made through the Common Admission Test (CAT). Candidates willing to get admission in MMST program, need to go through the MMST entrance exam which is conducted by IIT. Candidates seeking admission to the LLM program need to go through All India Common Entrance Examination (CET). Selection of MCP + Ph.D. program is made through the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
- Ph.D. – An entrance test followed by an interview is conducted by the respective department to get admission in the Ph.D. program.
Check IIT Kharagpur Fees
IIT Kharagpur Placement
IIT Kharagpur offers Placements opportunities to candidates through their Central Placement Cell, a working body which counsels and provides training to the job aspirants before appearing for an interview. Following graph depicts the Placement Trend of IIT Kharagpur.
Read More IIT Kharagpur Placement
IIT Kharagpur Rankings
|QS (BRICS) ||24||2018|
|India Today (Engineering)||2||2017|
IIT Kharagpur Scholarship
- Merit-cum-means scholarship of INR.1000 p.m. & a tuition fee waiver is awarded to 25% of students admitted under B.Tech, B.Arch, Integrated M.Sc., and 2-year M.Sc program
- Assistantship of INR 10000 per month to MMST students
- Students admitted to Dual Degree program are provided scholarships at par with B.Tech. students upto 4th year and at par with M.Tech in their 5th year.