University of Alabama: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1859 and the institution came into its current form in 1969. Today the University of Alabama, Birmingham is an urban, public university that enrolls around 22,000 students (21,923 Fall 2018) with 5% international students. The university attracts more and more students every year and shows about a 5% increase in enrolments over the prior year.
University of Alabama offers admissions in over 140 undergraduate, graduate, and doctorate degree courses and certificates mainly in the fields of Arts and Science, Business, Dentistry, Engineering, health professions, Medicine, Nursing, Optometry, and Public health.
The UAB Health System, one of the largest academic medical centers in the United States, is affiliated with the university and the university has a hospital and is the largest employer in the state employing more than 76,000 people at the university and the hospital.
The University of Alabama, Birmingham, USA Rankings
- The university is ranked at #166 in National Universities, #121 in Best Colleges for Veterans and #166 in Best Value Schools as per US News and World report.
- The niche has rated the university at # 55 of 618 in Best Colleges for Nursing in America, # 82 of 668 in Top Public Universities in America, and # 98 of 687 in Best Colleges for Accounting and Finance in America.
|Number of campuses||1|
|Academic Programs||Graduate and Postgraduate degrees/diplomas and Certificates|
|Mode of Programs||Full-time, Part-time, Online|
|International Student Enrolment||5%|
University of Alabama, Birmingham, USA Campus
The campus of the university is spread over 275 acres of land and comprises a Medical center, Academic facilities, Hill student center, bookstore, Residence halls and sports and recreation facilities with an aquatic center.
- There are more than 250 student organizations on the campus
- The Callot school of Business has a state of art Finance lab and several technology-driven classrooms.
- There is a vast green area on campus known as Campus Green where students are able to perform many activities and relax.
The University of Alabama, Birmingham, USA Residence
The University requires freshmen to stay on campus for the entire academic year and those who have compelling circumstances for not staying have to apply for an exemption.
- There are seven residence halls namely Blazer hall, Blount Hall, Camp hall, Denman hall, Gold hall, Rast hall, and Green hall.
- These residence halls are equipped with basic furniture and furnishings in the rooms, laundry facilities, Wi-Fi internet access, refrigerator, study rooms, vending machines, and Cable TV connection amongst other facilities.
- The rooms cost around USD 6,600 and the yearly meal plan costs USD 4,310.
University of Alabama, Birmingham, USA Programs
University of Alabama offers programs for undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees in Arts & Sciences, Business, Education, Engineering, Health Professions, Nursing, and Public Health.
- The different academic divisions offering over 140 courses are Arts & Sciences, Collat School of Business, Dentistry, Education, Engineering, Health Professions, Medicine, Nursing, Optometry, and Public Health.
- The university offers full time, part-time and online classes.
University of Alabama, Birmingham, USA Application Process
The college accepts applications from international students online through the UAB application system with a payment of USD 30 for undergraduates and USD 60 for graduates as a Nonrefundable application fee.
- Academic transcripts and certificates in English should be sent to UAB via Naviance eDocs, Docufied by Parchment, postal mail or express courier.
- English language Proficiency score test forms and SAT or ACT scores.
- Resume and any other supporting document
- Financial Worthiness documents
- Statement of Motivation
- Passport Copy ID pages
- Each course may require the applicant to fulfill some prerequisites which should be carefully referred to before the start of the application.
English Proficiency Test Score Requirements
|Test Name||Minimum Score Requirement|
|IELTS||6.5 with no module less than 5.5|
|Duolingo||70 (Exam date prior to July 15, 2019)
120 (Exam date after July 15, 2019)
The English proficiency test score requirement may vary for some programs which need to be carefully noted down at the time of opting for the course.
University of Alabama, Birmingham, USA Cost of Attendance
|Payment Heads||Total cost in USD|
|Housing and Meals (6600+4310)||10,910|
|Books and Supplies||1,200|
University of Alabama, Birmingham, USA Financial Aid
- UAB offers a merit-based UAB international scholarship of USD 7,500 per year to the freshmen having a GPA of 3.0 or above on the basis of their admission application only.
- UAB International Baccalaureate Scholarship is also available for first-year students and this requires a separate application. The initial award of USD 1,000 is upgraded to USD 2,500 on securing IB diploma as the award is given to only those who apply for a 4 years IB degree.
- There is a range of scholarships offered by the College of Arts and Sciences and the Collat School of business for students enrolling under their programs.
- The applicants can apply for World Bank and Rotary club scholarships also for completing their studies at UAB.
University of Alabama, Birmingham, USA Alumni
- UAB alumni have an Alumni House catering to large scale meetings, boardroom functions, and casual events. The house located almost at the center of the campus has a large room that can accommodate up to 200 people for dinners and receptions, and groups can gather to watch Blazer sports events on several big screens.
- This 5,000-square-foot building known as Alumni House accommodates the UAB Office of Alumni Affairs staff that is responsible for alumni scholarships, providing membership facilities, and organizing the events.
- Some notable alumni of the university are Regina Benjamin, Surgeon General of the United States; Jon Coffelt, Multimedia artist; Clayton Colvin, Art educator; Larry DeLucas, Astronaut and research scientist; Edward F. Fischer, Professor of Anthropology at Vanderbilt University; Sam Hunt, Country musician; Chris Collins, Politician; Deidre Downs, Miss America 2005; and Larry Langford, Former Mayor of Birmingham, Alabama.
University of Alabama, Birmingham, USA Placements
UAB Career Center is associated with the National Association of Colleges and Employers, Alabama Association of Colleges and Employers, the Southeast Association of Colleges and Employers, National Career Development Association, and The Career Leadership Collective to provide the best career services to its students.
- The center also subscribes to the Handshake portal that allows the students to upload their resume and look for the suitable available positions. The portal also helps in polishing and acquiring employment skills. The employers are also able to post their requirements on the portal.
- The center has no dearth of online and offline resources for the students and has staff to review the resumes, cover letters, assist with job and internship applications, and to help in finding suitable jobs and careers through these resources. The students can take help from the advisors for improving their employability skills also.
- 92% of the students of the college are able to get a job within 2 years of graduation and after 6 years they earn around USD 41,200 per year against the national average of USD 33,028.
Find a Program
Application Portal :https://idm.uab.edu/myuab/login?from=ugadmapp
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
Ranked #601 - #800
Ranked #601 - #800
International Business (International)
View More >>
To study in an environment of growth among a diverse community, I was convincd that I want to join this college and avail of all the opportunities that are available. My GPA was 8, and I had to submit an online application form.
Course Curriculum :
Chemistry connects the basic sciences with all of the applied sciences, including medicine and engineering. The foundations of the world’s economy in the next generation, including advanced materials, fuels, energy, nanomaterials, medicines, sensors, biotechnology, and genomics, will all have chemistry at the core.
A degree from a US college is recognized and accepted globally. By pursuing my masters from the US, I wanted to broaden my career opportunities in my field of interest. I decided to study at UAB as the curriculum here was very well curated with a focus on research and application of learning in a real-world scenario. I have paid $60 for the admission application for the online application.
Course Curriculum :
The course is focused on the overall development and growth of the students. The curriculum of this program is designed to give an in-depth understanding of the management of the systems. The classes are preparing us well enough to shine in our relevant field.
They were so personal and helpful to me during the admissions process. I can tell they care about me and my success as a student. My advisor is wonderful and always so excited about where I'm going with my life.
Course Curriculum :
I think the curriculum is very fair, preparing students for both medical school and research careers. It provides a solid foundation for the subject as well as course requirements giving you a rounded understanding of the material.
Proximity to home made it an easy choice but it is also a medically focused school and is the biggest in my state so it seemed like a good option for my career. My major in BMD isn't found in many other universities.
Course Curriculum :
The curriculum of my major is set up well especially for those seeking to apply and attend medical school. It covers a lot of what they will be covering the first 2 years. This is why it is known to be a stepping stone to medical school.
They have one of the best nursing schools and a great medical reputation. They provide lots of opportunities for research. UAB is very diverse and welcoming to every student that comes there. It feels like a home away from home!
Course Curriculum :
They have a great course curriculum. The teachers keep it interesting, and what they teach can be applied to the workforce. I have the opportunity to enjoy learning, and I am academically challenged in many subjects!
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary