Appalachian State University Boone Courses, Ranking, Admission Criteria, Fee & Scholarships
Appalachian State University is a public university located in North Carolina, USA. Appalachian has an enrollment of over 20,000 students including 18,000+ undergraduates and nearly 2,000 graduates. There are 1,527 out-of-state students at the university that form around 7.6% of the total student body.
Appalachian State University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral and intermediate degrees. The university offers more than 150 majors to choose from at the undergraduate and graduate levels. It has 6 undergraduate colleges, 1 music school and 1 graduate school. Appalachian is active in sports and has 17 varsity sports along with 20 clubs. It has 86.5% freshman retention rate along with 73% six-year graduation rate.
Appalachian State University Ranking
The latest rankings of Appalachian State University are as follows:
U.S. News and World Report 2021
- #6 in Regional Universities South
- #3 in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #2 in Best Undergraduate Teaching
- #21 in Best Value Schools
- #1 in Most Innovative Schools
- #60 in Top Performers on Social Mobility
- #3 in Top Public Schools
THE World University Rankings 2021
- >600th in the U.S. College Rankings 2021
|Location||Boone, North Carolina|
|Mode of Program||Full-time/ part-time/ online|
|Average class size||28|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Graduation Rate (6-year)||73%|
|Financial Aid||Scholarship, work-study, loan|
Appalachian State University Campus
- Appalachian State University has a 1200-acre campus in Blue Ridge Mountain, Boone, North Carolina.
- The campus has 30 academic buildings and a 210,000 square foot library. It features three sustainable gardens and offers a zero-waste and holistic campus lifestyle.
- Students can register for the Appalachian Popular Programming Society to find out about the activities in and around the campus, movies, nightlife, outdoor adventure and more.
Appalachian State University Residence
- The university has 20 residence halls that are divided into co-ed shared space or separate rooms for females, which students are free to choose from.
- The residence halls provide accommodation to 5,600 students. It is mandatory for all freshmen students to live on campus.
- Apart from residence halls, the university also offers off-campus housing facilities for students to choose from. The university has a compiled database of off-campus property listings on its website.
- Students in the on-campus housing are at a walking distance from the university and are provided with internet, heaters, water and recycling and also have complete access to the offices, faculty, recreational services and library.
Appalachian State University Courses
- Appalachian State University offers a variety of programs across different faculties. It currently has over 150 undergraduate programs and 70 graduate programs.
- The university accepts applications for MS and MBA programs through the spring, summer and fall semesters.
- All MS majors have excellent employee relations resulting in a nearly 100 percent placement rate.
- The MBA program was ranked in the Princeton Review’s Best 295 Business schools for 2016 and has a Top tier ranking for North American Schools by IGF.
- 98% of the faculty teaching students are doctoral, professional or terminal degree holders.
Appalachian State University Application Process
Appalachian State University accepts applications from students all around the world. It had an acceptance rate of 71% in the fall of 2019. International applicants are required to fulfill additional requirements such as submission of translated transcripts, English language proficiency test scores and fulfilling visa procedures.
How to Apply?
Applicants seeking admission to the Appalachian State University must fulfill admission requirements as stated below:
Application Portal: University’s Application Portal
Application Fee: 65 USD
Application Deadline: Fall – November 1; Spring – February 1
Admission Requirements: The following documents must be submitted along with the application:
- Completed application form
- Official high school/bachelor degree transcripts along with other relevant academic documents.
- Students also need to submit their official language proficiency test scores along with ACT or SAT scores. The minimum required scores are as follows:
|TOEFL – IBT||78|
|Duolingo English Test||100|
|SAT (Evidence-Based Writing and Reading scores)||500|
|ACT (Composite score)||20|
- Students are recommended to submit a resume mentioning their experience along with a personal statement listing their skills and why they would like to join the selected program.
- Financial Statement
Appalachian State University Cost of Attendance
- It is advisable for international students to prepare a budget of expenses related to the tenure of study in the U.S. to calculate shortfall if any.
- The annual cost for undergraduate students is 29,931 USD and for graduate students is 28,852 USD per year.
- The cost of attendance for international undergraduate and graduate students are given below:
|Expenditure Item||Amount (for Undergraduates)||Amount (for Graduates)|
|Tuition fee||22,517 USD||15,828 USD|
|Books and Supplies||700 USD||1,000 USD|
|Room and Board||9,174 USD||9,174 USD|
|Loan Fee||88 USD||150 USD|
|Personal||1,800 USD||1,800 USD|
|Transportation||2,085 USD||2,085 USD|
Appalachian State University Scholarships/Financial Aid
- Appalachian State University offers a number of fellowships, assistantships and scholarships to international students.
- Around 71% of the students receive financial aid in some form.
- Some commonly awarded scholarships include:
|Name of Scholarship||Eligibility Criteria||Amount Awarded|
|Chancellor’s Scholarship||Awarded to exceptional students who are admitted to the Honors College with an average ACT score of 34 or SAT score of 1506 and rank in the top 1-3% of their high school class.||Full institutional cost including tuition, fees, room and board|
|Appalachian Excellence Scholarship||Awarded on the basis of merit to students who enroll in fall.||2,000 USD|
|College and Departmental Scholarships||Awarded to incoming, current as well as transfer applicants.||1,000 – 10,000 USD|
|International Student Scholarships||Awarded to incoming undergraduate students who enroll in fall and hold an F-1 student visa.||1,000 – 4,000 USD|
Appalachian State University Alumni Network
The Appalachian State University Alumni association consists of over 132,000 alumni members.
- The members are provided with extensive services like professional networking, special events, affinity program discounts, and alumni chapter gatherings.
- The alumni members also have extended benefits like:
- Access to the Belk library for a fee of 10 USD annually
- Alumni insurance program
- License tag program and partnership with Handshake - a career services portal offering jobs and internships.
- Some notable alumni of the university include:
- Franklin Graham (Evangelist, Author, Televangelist)
- Daniel Wilcox (American Football player)
- Eric Church (Guitarist and Songwriter)
Appalachian State University Placements
98% of Appalachian State University’s undergraduate alumni are either employed or enrolled to further studies within 1 year of graduation. The university organizes an international internship and job fair every year to support students and alumni by putting them in touch with legible companies, nonprofits and government agencies to expand their prospects. The career development center also helps facilitate career guidance, counseling, planning and job research methods with students in order to achieve professional success.
Find a Program
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|Exams||Avg. Score||Min Score||Max. Score||%Submitted|
|TOEFL Check Detailed Score||-||75||-||-|
|SAT Check Detailed Score||1185||1100||1270||60|
|Evidence-Based Reading and Writing||600||560||640||-|
|ACT Check Detailed Score||25||23||27||49|
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Appalachian State University is one of the universities that has some fine curriculum related to Mass Communication and Studies. One of my friends suggested me to join the University if in-case I plan to take on with communication studies. The application fee was $65 which is non-refundable, so better be sure when you are applying.
Course Curriculum :
When I opted for this program, I thought it will be like most of the other courses but it is much detailed and worthy but it was, however, a very intermediate course that helped me to grow my research. My course is sectioned into 2 Core courses and 1 professional from which I had to opt for 2 subjects, the first one included soft skills like public speaking, disciplines, etc, the other one had more of the theory, ethics, research methods, etc. and the final professional course in which I choose mass media and society as one and the other one as conflict management. You get a lot of options to choose from, and those applying for internships get a few other options too.
I had attended counseling sessions to know more about the universities for becoming a teacher. I had applied in 3 universities and had chosen this university as it is accredited by the commission on colleges of southern association, ranked as 3rd public university, and help students to lead a purposeful life. I had obtained a GPA of 7 at high school and had applied through an online application form by paying $65 as an application fee.
Course Curriculum :
The program covers theoretical and philosophical bases for educational practices. Students concentrate in one or more instructional areas and explore how subjects interrelate. We learn to better understand elementary school-age learners, utilize research techniques in design, identify major techniques and trends, implement curricular activities, and make critical decisions.
Being a science student I always wanted to pursue a science degree. After going through the process I selected Appalachian State University. It is the cheapest University among my options. It is also near to my location.
Course Curriculum :
This full time four-year course is an idle science program.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Super Market
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary