University of Texas Rio Grande Valley was established in 2013. It was the first major public university of the 21st century in Texas. UTRGV is expanding its educational reach by introducing the School of Medicine. The university enrolled its first batch in the fall of 2015 and the School of Medicine introduced its first batch in the summer of 2016.
UTRGV has on-campus and off-campus teaching and research sites throughout the Rio Grande Valley. The university is known for its following majors:
- Computer Sciences
- Fine Arts
- Health Professions
- Liberal Arts
Why Choose the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley?
- UTRGV is ranked no.1 in Washington Monthly 2018 for its net price among the national universities.
- UTRGV provides external funding opportunities to promote students’ educational outreach initiatives.
- Financial endowment funds stands around 65 million USD.
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Schools and Programs
The university offers more than 120 undergraduate and graduate programs in the following schools and colleges:-
- School of Medicine
- College of Engineering and Computer Sciences
- College of Fine Arts
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Sciences
- School of Nursing
- School of Social Work
Campus Housing Facilities at University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
With campuses in Edinburg, Brownsville, McAllen, Harlingen, and Rio Grande City UTRGV offers premium accommodation facility to its students at a very affordable cost with a culturally diverse environment.
There are 2 campus residences of UTRGV - Brownsville and Edinburg.
The university provides on campus and off campus housing facilities to the students along with health care.
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Admission Process
Pre-requisites for Admission
- Academic transcripts
- SAT/ACT test scores for UG students
- GRE/GMAT test scores for Graduate students
- English language proficiency test score: TOEFL and IELTS
- Submit TSI Assignment scores upon arrival
- One can apply for admission to UTRGV online through its official website.
- Each program has different deadlines and admission requirements.
- Applicant can either submit the documents online along with the application or send it via post to either Brownsville or Edinburg campus.
- The application fee is non-refundable and Graduate admission application fee is 50 USD.
- Pay the application fee through credit card or electronic check.
Cost of Attendance
The estimated average yearly expense for a year at UTRGV
|Resident Living With Family||Non-Resident Living On Campus|
|Tuition & Fees||20,264|
|Room & Board||2,282|
|Books & Supplies||1,218|
|Total Cost of Attendance||27,982|
Scholarships and Financial Aids offered by University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
UTRGV provides financial aid based on student’s income, academic performance, and extracurricular requirements in the form of scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study.
Students can apply for the below mentioned portals according to their eligibility:-
- FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or
- TASFA (Texas Application for State Financial Aid)
Average Financial Aid Breakdown
- Grant or scholarship aid – 7,315 USD
- State/local government grant or scholarships – 5,448 USD
- Student loan aid – 3,828 USD
How and when to apply?
Funding is provided on the first-come-first-serve basis. The deadlines for different financial aid providers:–
- TASFA state application deadline: June 30
- FAFSA priority deadline: January 15
- UTRGV scholarship application deadline: February 15
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Alumni
UTRGV has more than 100,000 alumni across the globe. With its strong alumni base UTRGV strive to increase philanthropic interest, loyalty, and provide educational opportunities. Benefits to alumni:-
- Student Alumni Ambassador Membership
- Alumni Educator Mixer
- Distinguished Alumni Award
- Ring Ceremony
List of notable alumni –
- Sandesh V. Kadur: Founder Felis Creation
- Alice L. Rodriguez: Regional Director, JP Morgan Chase & Co.
- Norma Teran: Chief Nursing Officer, Doctors Hospital at Renaissance
- Heriberto Reynoso: CEO & Founder, Reybotics
- Alicia Torres: Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Altarum Institute
- Michael Ray Mancias: Assistant Trainer & Personal Trainer to LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers Basketball Organization