West Virginia State University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Founded in 1867 as a college for blacks, West Virginia University is a public university enrolling 75% whites currently. The university enrolls around 30,000 students every year and is famous for liberal arts, business, and safety system courses. It is one of the pioneer universities present in the USA.
At University's Morgantown campus students come from 118 nations, all 50 states of the United States of America. With a 98% acceptance rate, it is quite easy to get admission in the university. There are more than 82% highly qualified faculty and excellent research facilities.
West Virginia State University Rankings
US News (2020):
- Regional Colleges South: #46
- Top Performers on Social Mobility: #48
- Top Public Schools according to U.S. News & World Report: #10
- Colleges with the Best Professors in America: #523 of 1,603
- Most Conservative Colleges in America: # 692 of 1,692
- Safest College Campuses in America: #699 of 1,379
|Year of establishment||1867|
|Student Faculty Ratio||13: 1|
West Virginia State University Programs
- West Virginia State University offers the student a chance to learn from the diverse array of the programs.
- The University offers more than 380 academic undergraduate and graduate programs in Liberal arts and Humanities, Business, Natural Science, Engineering, Social Science, Criminal Justice, Child development and family studies and Safety systems.
- The University has 15 schools and colleges to conduct more than 300-degree programs. Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources & Design, Eberly College of Arts & Sciences, John Chambers College of Business and Economics, Benjamin M. Statler College of Engineering & Mineral Resources, Reed College of Media, College of Education & Human Services, law, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Creative art to name a few.
- The University has integrated practical training through internships at local centers and organizations according to the requirement of the course.
- The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching has awarded the University as a top-rated research university and the university excels in biometric technology research programs.
- The University also has online programs.
- Some of the major popular programs offered at the university are Business, Liberal Arts and Humanities, Criminal Justice and Safety Studies, Elementary Education, and Psychology.
West Virginia State University Campus
- The University’s main campus is 100 acres in West Virginia in suburban settings. The Campus has around 245 buildings catering to Academics, Athletics facilities, Library, Research centers, Parking lots, and Emergency services amongst others and a rail trail also passes alongside it.
- West Virginia University is located in Morgantown with campuses at Beckey and Keyser also. The Campus has residential facilities.
- Situated almost at the banks of Monongahela River the campus has picturesque landscapes and a healthy environment.
- The Campus has a large section for health sciences and another for Sport facilities especially Athletics and basketball training is provided on campus.
West Virginia State University Housing
- The University has on-campus housing divided into 12 residential halls.
- Bennett Tower houses 432, Boreman Hall 536, Braxton Tower 424, Brooke Tower 480, Lyon Tower 424, Oakland Hall 862 and Dadisman Hall 359 undergraduate students; Honors hall can house 349 and, Lincoln Hall 313 first-year honors students; Seneca hall 474, Stalnaker Hall 248 and Summit Hall can house 525 students of all categories.
- The campus has many dining facilities like summit cafe, Mountainlair Food court, Hatfields, Boreman Bistro to name a few.
- The cost of housing is around USD 10 to 12 thousand per year inclusive of meals.
- Apart from this, some off-campus living options are also there for the students.
West Virginia State University Admission Process
Admission Portal: University Official Website
Application Fee: 40 USD
Given below are the academic requirements as per the university.
- Official transcripts of High school/College degree or equivalent with a minimum GPA of 2.0 or equivalent for undergraduates and 3.0 or equivalent for graduates. These transcripts must be in English and are attested by the issuing university or Board.
- SAT Composite 870 or ACT 18 scores for undergraduates and GMAT or GRE for graduates are recommended.
- English Language proficiency test(s) IELTS 5.5, TOEFL iBT 61for undergraduates and IELTS 6.0 and TOEFL iBT 61 for international non-native English speaking applicants are recommended.
- Two academic recommendations and Curriculum Vitae
- International Certification of finances to be submitted.
- Statement of Purpose, Passport copies
- Immunization records
West Virginia State University Cost of Attendance
Given below is the estimated cost of attendance
|Room and board||10,284|
|Books and Supplies||1,300|
|Insurance and Personal Expenses||5,300|
West Virginia State University Financial Aid for International Students
- The university requires an application for financial aid under private and departmental scholarship programs within the specific deadlines to be made with all required supportive documents like parent’s income or savings statements or Sponsor’s financial documents.
- Under automatic consideration scholarships based on admission application, international students receive tuition discounts or waivers through different scholarships ranging from 2,500 to 8,000 USD under International scholarships for incoming freshmen program, and 4,000 USD renewable under the distinction scholarship program.
- 89% of students receive financial aid at the University, and around 8500 USD is the average amount of financial aid received by the students.
- The USA also offers some of the scholarship opportunities to the students.
West Virginia State University Notable Alumni
- The university has over 2 lac alumni in 135 countries.
- The alumni provide academic support and mentoring to the current students besides various functions and awards.
- The alumni also organize football games under its ‘Hail West Virginia’ Program which is a paid program having a membership fee of 2,000 USD.
- Some notable alumni of the University are Butch Miles, Jazz drummer/Professor; Lou Myers, Actor; Bill Nunn, Journalist; Richard Ojeda, Politician; Will Robinson, Basketball coach; Wendell Smith, noted African American sportswriter; and Leon Sullivan, Social activist.
West Virginia State University Placement
- The university uses the Handshake career system to place its students with companies and organizations. The career system allows students to surf and apply online for various jobs and helps in enhancing their employable skills. It also has employers’ data and invites employers to post their jobs for students.
- The University has a dedicated career center that helps the students to find suitable internships and jobs.
- Around 300 companies participate in campus job fairs to recruit students.
- The university prepares its students for writing cover letters and resume, dressing for interviews, and effective use of the career fairs.
- 90% of students of the college are able to get a job within 2 years of graduation, the students are able to earn around 29,800 USD per year within 6 years of graduation against the national average of 33,028 USD.