University of Arkansas: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Located at 2801 S. University Avenue, Little Rock, Arkansas in the United States, the University of Arkansas -Little Rock, is a metropolitan research university that has been positioned, from inception in 1927, to provide accessible and quality education to students through a range of flexible programs and unique internship opportunities.
UA Little Rock is home to over 11,000 students and offers over 100 programs in fields of criminal justice, engineering, education, and data quality whilst being a force to be reckoned with when it comes to educational and scientific research works. It is the driving force in Little Rock's growing cultural community and it is also the major player in the state's status as a regional leader in research, economic development, technology, and economic development.
UA Little Rock is ranked:
- #156-199 in the list of Best Engineering Schools in the United States by U.S News and World Report
- #293-381 in the 2020 list of national universities in the United States by U.S News and World Report
- #800 in the United States in 2019 rankings by Times Higher Education
- #801-900 in 2019 list of world universities ranking by Academic Ranking of World Universities -ARWU (Shanghai Rankings)
- Ranked #594 out of 1579 in the list of Colleges with the Best Academics in the United States by Niche
|Annual Endowment||1 billion USD|
|Student Retention Rate||82%|
|Mode of Program||Full time; Part time; online|
|Campus Housing Capacity||25%|
|Cost of attendance||40,162 USD|
University of Arkansas Campus
- In Arkansas, UA Little Rock uses 250 tree-covered acres in Little Rock’s midtown area as its main campus.
- It has 350 total campus acreage, counting the main campus and baseball field, the Benton Center, and the William H. Bowen School of Law
- UA Little Rock incorporates 57 campus buildings and facilities with 2.9 million square feet covered.
- UA Little Rock operates a main campus that is made up of 38 administrative and academic buildings and five residential buildings with a soccer field at the south end of the campus.
- The school's Office of Student Affairs and the sports department organizes intramural sports to cater to the athletic needs of the students and has 14 athletic teams which are known as the Little Rock Trojans.
- There are nearly 200 student-athletes from UA Little Rock competing nationwide in more than 200 athletic events
- Women’s sports at UA Little Rock include: Soccer, Volleyball, Golf, Basketball, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track/Cross Country, Swimming/Diving and Men’s sports include: Baseball, Golf, Basketball, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track/Cross Country.
- Student-Athletes have a graduation success rate of 81%
- Average GPA for Student-Athletes is 3.27
- There are over 100 student organizations ranging from honor societies, departmental clubs, social organizations to interest groups open to all students.
University of Arkansas Residence
At UA Little Rock, there are various residence options provided for international and domestic students by the school divided into categories like On-Campus (freshmen and upperclassmen residence), Off-Campus and disability accommodations.
- Freshmen residence are: West Hall -Grey Tower (Female) and the West Hall -Maroon Tower (Male)
- Each of the freshmen residence halls is a six-story building with pod-like communities having furnished double bedrooms, vanity & sink in every room, private hall baths, kitchen, living room, and dining room in each pod, study room, and coin-free washers & dryers.
- Freshmen cost per annum is 5,290 USD plus a 32 USD utilities and activity fee with a non-compulsory 70 USD laundry fee which allows unlimited access to the washers and dryers when classes are in session.
- Rooms in the freshmen residence are shared with an extra-long twin bed and shared kitchen and laundry at each floor.
- Upperclassmen residence have options as tabulated below
|Residence name||Eligible residents||Sex of residents|
|Commons Apartments – North Hall||Sophomores, juniors, and Donaghey scholars||Male and female|
|Commons Apartments – South Hall||STEM Scholars (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics||Male and female|
|University Village||Upperclassmen, Graduate Students, International Students, & Student-Athletes||Male and female|
- The Commons Apartments are two- and four-bedroom units featuring full kitchens, private bedrooms with a full-size bed, and washer/dryer appliances in each apartment.
- In the Upperclassmen commons apartments, the four-bedroom apartments are 5,580 USD per annum including utilities. The two-bedroom apartments are 6,120 USD per annum including utilities. There is also a 32 USD activity fee per annum.
- The rooms in the commons apartments are private with full bed size, complete kitchen, and laundry in each apartment.
- The University Village is a 420-bed residence complex featuring two- and four-bedroom apartment-style suites with private baths and a resort-style swimming pool coupled with community amenities.
- The four-bedroom apartments in the University Village are 5,580 USD per annum including utilities. The two-bedroom apartments are 6,120 USD per annum including utilities. There is also a 32 USD activity fee per annum.
- The rooms in the university village are private with baths, full bed size, complete kitchen and laundry in each apartment.
- The East Hall is for all students (freshmen and upperclassmen), both male and female.
- There are reservations made for students with disabilities or health conditions. Houses for these types of students exist as private rooms in residential communities, heated and cooled residence halls and various other alternatives as will be agreed upon, depending on the student's health condition.
- There are no deadlines for housing application at UA Little Rock, applications are accepted all year round.
- As much as UA Little Rock or its Office of Campus Living does not endorse the housing companies, they do recommend them through the Little Rock Chamber of Commerce website. Students are advised to come with basic housing necessities as the housings are mostly not pre-furnished.
- There are also temporary off-campus options such as hotels and host families. Hotels fee ranges from 50 USD to 140 USD per night.
- For meal plans, there is the 'Commuter Meal Plan Options' consisting of
- All Trojan: 950 USD + 16 Meal Swipes,
- Trojan express #3: 400 USD + 12 Meal Swipes
- Trojan express #2: 300 USD + 8 Meal Swipes
- Trojan express #1: 200 USD + 4 Meal Swipes
- Trojan advantage limited time offer which is a bonus meal plan exclusively for UA Little Rock Commuter Students.
- Lastly, for meal plans, there is the 'Residential Meal Plan Options' consisting of
- Carte blanche unlimited plus 75 USD Trojan express dollars at 1925 USD
- 224 block + 500 USD Trojan express dollars at 1730 USD
- 128 block + 500 USD Trojan express dollars at 1445 USD
- 40 block + 700 USD Trojan express dollars at 950 USD
University of Arkansas Programs
- Generally, UA Little Rock offers 161 programs of study, 66 baccalaureate programs, 41 master’s programs, 23 graduate certificates, 9 doctoral programs, 8 certificates of proficiency, 3 technical certificate programs and 10 associate degree programs
- There are 66 programs in the undergraduate levels with 71 minors offered to domestic and international students.
- UA Little Rock offers 50 programs to students in the graduate level across 12 fields ranging from arts, mathematics, law to interdisciplinary studies.
- There are special courses such as health human performance health and fitness courses that can be taken on a face-to-face basis, online or 9U off-campus online.
- UA Little Rock is a regional leader in research facilities, housing more than 20 research centers and facilities across several fields whilst partnering with businesses to provide invaluable data and insight and bring new technologies in areas such as nanotechnology, information quality, and emerging analytics to live.
- It is reported that during the 2017-18 academic session, the UA Little Rock faculty brought in more than 32 million USD in research contracts and grants.
- UA Little Rock is a leader in the dissemination of Arkansas history having collections of over 88,000 archival papers, images, and books, through the collaboration of the Department of History, the Master of Arts in public history program, and the Center for Arkansas History and Culture.
- Eligible undergraduate students can apply for a grant of up to 1,000 USD to fund a signature experience, which enables students to undertake research projects, creativity activities or community service projects.
- At UA Little Rock, there are over 575 approved study abroad programs with six affiliate partners and one exchange partner in several countries across the world.
University of Arkansas Application Process
The process to get admission at the University of Arkansas is outlined below:
- Application portal for international applicants: School online application webpage for Undergraduates and Graduates
- Application Fee: 40 USD
- Academic Documents:
- High school and/or post-secondary transcripts with a minimum cumulative high school GPA of 2.5 out of 4.0 (for undergraduate applicants)
- Official articulated transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities
- Proof of grade point average of at least 2.7 on a 4.00 scale, including post-baccalaureate hours (for graduate applicants)
- Immigration Verification form
- Official standardized test scores such as TOEFL or IELTS taken in the last two years and SAT or ACT taken in the last five years, if required by the prospective program.
- Supporting Documents:
- A copy of an international student's government-issued photo ID
- Proof of 2 MMR vaccines
- Additional program requirements documents
- Copy of visa and passport
- Financial statements–students with F and J visas only
- English Proficiency Scores:
- Undergraduate test scores: TOEFL (iBT): 61, IELTS: 6.0
- Graduate test scores: TOEFL (iBT): 71 (Masters), 79(Doctoral), IELTS: 6.5
- ACT: 19 on English and reading, SAT ERW: Minimum of 330
- UA Little Rock TOEFL code: 6368, IELTS code's not available
- Student Class profile:
- Total number of enrolled students: 9,579
- Number of undergraduate applicants: 2,593
- Percentage of applicants admitted: 79%
- Students to Faculty ratio: 15:1
- Percentage of international students: 3.5%
- Student retention: Full-time students: 68%, Part-time students: 40%
- Graduation Rate: 39%
- Application deadline: priority application deadline for all semester is April 15 and the priority application deadline for the spring semester is October 15.
University of Arkansas Cost of Attendance
Below is the annual estimated cost of attendance for international students at UA Little Rock. However, fees are subject to change by the university at any time.
|Tuition and fees||15,600 USD||15,000 USD||14,000 USD||17,400 USD|
|Living expenses||12,000 USD||9,000 USD||9,000 USD||9,000 USD|
|Health Insurance, Books, and Miscellaneous||400 USD||5,000 USD||4,000 USD||3,600 USD|
|Total estimate||28,000 USD||29,000 USD||27,000 USD||30,000 USD|
- International students are to pay a 150 USD International student fee per semester and the 755 USD insurance fee per six months.
- Dependent Forms I-20 or DS-2019 from international students require additional funding which is 4500 USD for spouse and 2500 USD per child.
University of Arkansas Financial Aids
- International students are not eligible for federal or public-funded financial aid and UA Little Rock Scholarships may only be awarded to U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- There is a 51% of undergraduate students receiving institutional grants and scholarships at UA Little Rock. It totals up to 2,663,764 USD with each student receiving an average of 7,338 USD.
- 97% of undergraduates are receiving aids in UA Little Rock.
- 60% of undergraduates receive student loan aids.
- 55% of undergraduates are Pell Grant recipients.
- 4,781 undergraduates’ students in the UA Little Rock are recipients of scholarships and aids (excluding Pell grants and federal student loans).
- The total amount of 17,439,452 USD was awarded in forms of financial aid in the 2015-2016 session.
- Scholarships and aids offered to international students include scholarships and fellowships, departmental scholarships, student jobs, Donaghey scholars program, and graduate assistantships.
- All students need to file a FAFSA online application for need-based aids, thereafter, they can apply for UA Little Rock scholarships by completing the online Trojan SMART application and submitting all required documents. It is pertinent to note that incoming and current students can submit a Trojan SMART application beginning Oct. 1.
- Some of the aids available for international students are:
|Donaghey Scholars program||Eight Semester||6,000 – 10,000 USD per annum plus other benefits.|
|Engineering & Information Technology (EIT) Academic Scholarship||Eight Semester||3,000 USD to 6,000 USD annually|
|Hugh F. Oates Scholarship||One year||Amount varies|
|Annual Fund Scholarships||One year||500 USD|
University of Arkansas Alumni
- The college has a strong alumni network of 59,739 members and the school who help each other through career mentorships, networking, student scholarship, alumni awards, and recognition, etc
- UA Little Rock alumni can enjoy 15% off classes at the Arkansas Yoga Collective
- UA Little Rock alumni members receive 50% off their session fee with valid identification and proof of alumni membership when taking photo seasons at LeMay Photography.
- Cache Restaurant offers free desserts to UA Little Rock alumni members with the purchase of a full-priced entree.
- Kaplan Test Prep offers a 10% discount on Kaplan graduate courses for UA Little Rock alumni members.
- Notable alumni include:
- Derek Fisher -American Basketball Coach
- Vic Snyder -Former U.S. Representative
- Camille Bennett -Lawyer
- Douglas House -Arkansas state Representative
- Vivian Flowers -Political figure
University of Arkansas Placements
- UA Little Rock provides job opportunities and updates on their career webpage through the Career Ready flier for students and alumni.
- UA Little Rock creates connections between students and prospective employers through the handshake platform and the On-Campus employer event. The handshake platform is an online job recruiting platform that enables the UA Little Rock Career Center to collaborate with employers to provide tangible job opportunities for UA Little Rock qualified students seeking internships, part-time and full-time jobs.
- Trojan Career closet helps students prepare for interviews by giving them free, corporate and professional clothing.
- According to PayScale, the average annual salary of a UA Little Rock graduate is 61,000 USD