West Virginia University (WVU) is a public institution located in Morgantown, Virginia. Founded in 1867, WVU is the only university in the US offering a BS, an MS and Ph.D. in Forensic Science.
The university offers over 360 undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and professional programs. The most popular majors offered are –
- Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services
- Communication, Journalism, and Related Programs
- Social Sciences
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Why Choose West Virginia University?
- The university has a financial endowment of over USD 566 million
- 7,000+ internship opportunities annually
- 19 faculties of WVU recognized as Professors of the Year by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
- Features in the highest category of Doctoral Research according to Carnegie classification.
- The WVU Rockefeller Neurosciences Institute is the 1st institute in the world for the study of human memory.
- In partnership with NASA to launch the state’s first satellite into orbit.
- Evansdale Library, Downtown Library, Law Library etc. have collections exceeding 2.4 million books, 600,000 e-books, and 90,000 e-journals.
Program and Schools at West Virginia University -
120+ undergraduate majors and more than 180 Graduate and Professional Programs, including graduate certificates are offered at WVU through the following schools and colleges:
- Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design
- Eberly College of Arts and Sciences
- John Chambers College of Business and Economics
- College of Creative Arts
- School of Dentistry
- College of Education and Human Services
- Benjamin M. Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources
- WVU College of Law
- Reed College of Media
- School of Medicine
- WVU School of Nursing
- WVU School of Pharmacy
- College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences
- WVU School of Public Health
West Virginia University Campus and Residence
- The 2,800-acre campus houses several libraries like the Evansdale Library, Downtown Library, Law Library etc.
- 12 Residence halls or dorms are located in Evansdale, Downtown and Sunnyside.
- All single, first-year students are required to live on campus.
West Virginia University Admission Process
Pre-Requisites for Admission into West Virginia University –
- Test scores: SAT/ACT for UG students; GRE/GMAT for graduate students
- English language proficiency test score: TOEFL; or IELTS
- Statement of Purpose
- Letter of Recommendation
- Additional documents as specified by department one is applying for
- Copy of Passport
- Applications for UG programs can be submitted either on the official website or through common application.
- Applications for graduate programs must be submitted on the official website.
- The non-refundable application fee for UG programs is $65 and for graduate programs is $60.
- Graduate program deadlines vary from program to program.
- Undergraduate application deadlines is tabulated below –
|Intake||Application Deadline||Document Deadline|
|Fall||June 1||July 1|
|Spring||October 1||November 1|
|Summer||February 15||April 1|
West Virginia University Cost of Attendance
The estimated annual average cost of attendance at West Virginia University is tabulated below –
|Expense||Cost in USD|
|Tuition and Fees||23,616|
|Room and Board||10,576|
|Books and Supplies||900|
Financial aid offered by West Virginia University
- 91% of students are on Financial Aid and the average Grant Aid Received (FT/First-Time) is $4,843.
- In 2016-17, WVU disbursed $87 million in scholarships.
- The average need based scholarship offered by the university is of USD 5,212.
West Virginia University Alumni
WVU has an alumni network of 200,000 people in over 135 countries worldwide. They enjoy benefits like exclusive clothing, license Plates etc. experience exclusive events, avail discounts at partner businesses etc.
List of a few notable alumni:
- Marcia A. Broughton – Law Practitioner
- David Alvarez – Serial Business Entrepreneur
- W. Dean Baker – VP & GM of Precision Weapons and Electronics Systems
- Ronald P. Doyle – IBM Master Inventor
- John Chambers – Chairman and CEO of Cisco