The New School: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The New School founded in 1919 is a private progressive research university located in New York City. Parsons School of Design, one of the six schools under university, has ranked as one of the top design schools in the world consistently for years. It has a 10,000+ student body with around 6,800 undergraduate students, 3138 graduate students, and 212 doctoral students.
The campus of the university is in an urban setting with 31% of the total student body being international students from about 116 countries. Popular majors at this institute are Fine and Studio art management, Web page and design, Fashion and apparel design. The student to faculty ratio is 9:1 at New School. With an 82% retention rate it is one of the best universities in the USA for freshman retention.
To follow government guidelines, most of the teaching activities are taking place through distance mode, and also the courses for the winter semester will be online and hybrid teaching. The start of the winter semester was also postponed and it will be for 14 weeks instead of 15 weeks.
New School Rankings
New School has been ranked as follows by various ranking surveys:
|#133||US News and World Report||National universities|
|#561-570||QS global world university rankings||World universities|
|#68||US News and World Report||Most innovative schools|
|Location||New York City|
|Endowment||399.3 million USD|
|Mode of program||Full-time and online|
|Financial aid||Scholarships, grants or fellowships|
|Mode of application||Online|
New School Campus
- The urban campus of New School is located in the heart of New York City’s Greenwich Village expanding to an area of 20,000 square-foot facilities.
- There are 10 academic buildings on campus, a university art collection, media production facilities, libraries, IT labs and services, and performance centers on campus.
- There are more than 40 student clubs and organizations, around 1,300 public programs, intramural sports, athletics, and weekly fitness classes are offered.
On-campus medical and counseling services are also provided to students 24*7.
New School Residence
- There are 4 residence halls located in Greenwich Village, East Village, and Chelseamonth offering accommodation facilities to students.
- More than 2,000 students live on the Greenwich Village campus housing.
- The residential halls are co-ed and students have the choice to select gender-inclusive housing.
- Each hall has a lounge, art studio, music practice room, kitchen, washers, and dryers.
- The Residential Education staff provides support to the students living on campus.
- Students can search for off-campus housing options on Streeteasy, Gramercy House, My Grad Pad, and Loftey.
New School Courses
- The New School offers a total of 134 degree and diploma programs at undergraduate, graduate and doctorate levels in various disciplines.
- Popular disciplines taught at the School include performing arts, design, history, economics, anthropology, etc.
- It also offers a number of executive education programs, 8 online degree programs, and certificate courses in the online format.
- The centers, institutes, and labs provide opportunities for ground-breaking research work to the students.
New School Application Process
New School has a student body from more than 116 countries making it truly global. All students follow a similar admission process. International students must fulfill additional requirements like submission of English language proficiency test scores and applying for a visa.
How to Apply?
The following process and requirements must be fulfilled for admission to the New School:
Application fee: 50 USD for each program or an application fee waiver
Application deadline: October 15 (spring semester) and April 1 (fall semester)
Admission Requirements: The following documents must be submitted at the time of admission:
New School Cost of Attendance
- International student’s cost of living and studying in USA is estimated to be 11,500 USD.
- An estimated budget for international students looking for studying in the university has been given below:
|Tuition fee for undergraduates (per year)||48,760 – 50,460 USD|
|Tuition fee for graduates (per credit)||1,390 – 2,260 USD|
|Books and supplies||920 USD|
|On-campus housing||15,150 USD|
|Off-campus housing||11,500 USD|
|Personal expenses||1,550 USD|
New School Scholarships/Financial Aid
- New School meets the demonstrated needs of its students by offering need based and merit based scholarships available in USA in the form of institutional scholarships, grants, and fellowships.
- The school also offers federal grants, loans and work study.
- More than 2,000 students received work-study grants.
- 85% of undergraduate students receive financial aid every year.
- All full-time degree program applicants are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships and grants awarded by the institution.
- External scholarships for students in the U.S. can also be accessed using platforms like Fast Web, National Science Foundation, FinAid, and Pro Fellow, etc.
New School Alumni Network
- New School alumni has around 80,000 members from more than 120 countries from a variety of fields like politics, design, journalism, education, arts and many more.
- Alumni members are offered benefits like:
- Library and campus access
- Digital Alumni Card
- Technology access
- 25% discount on adult continuing education
- University Learning Centre access and exclusive discounts
- Networking and career services
- Access to online job database
- Portfolio assistance and job search
- Some notable alumni members include:
- Ani DiFranco – Singer and songwriter
- Nelson Barbosa – Prominent Economist
- Anna Sui – Fashion Designer
- Jenna Lyons – Fashion Designer
- Nadine Sierra – Opera Singer
New School Placements
Around 91% of New School graduates take up professional job opportunities in the U.S. within the first year of graduation. The School offers a number of internships and career opportunities to students to progress academically and professionally. Majority of the students take up internships during the tenure of their program. New School students interned at a total of 1,000 organizations in a year. The School organizes recruitment drives, career development workshops and meetings with academic and career advisors.
The average salary of The New School graduates is USD 67,706. Salary offered to graduates of different programs per year given in USD-
Ques. What is the acceptance rate of New School? Is it a selective institution?
Ans. The New School is a selective institution with a 57% acceptance rate in 2020 where half of the admitted students submitted an SAT score between 1,150 to 1,30 and an ACT score of 25 to 30. Applicants must possess a good grade of 3.59 out of 4.0 scale to apply at New School.
Ques. What are the popular majors at The New School?
Ans. Popular majors at the institute are Fashion Design, Fine and Studio Arts Management, Liberal studies.
Ques. What is the cost of tuition for the academic year 2021-2022?
Ans. The cost of attendance for undergraduate programs at The New School for the academic year ranges from USD34,490 to USD50,460.
Ques. How do I check the application status?
Ans. You can check your application status in the admission hub of The New School by logging into the portal.
Ques. When will I get an admission decision from the institute?
Ans. If you have submitted your application by January 7 you’ll receive the decision in mid-March which will be communicated to you by email. Decisions on applications submitted thereafter will be sent on a rolling basis.
Ques. How long does it take to complete an MA program?
Ans. MA programs are generally two-year programs and most of the students complete the programs within the stated duration.
Ques. Are there counselors available to advise applicants?
Ans. Yes. They are available on an appointment basis. You can call 212.229.5150 to contact the office of admissions and they will arrange an appointment with the counselor.
Ques. What are the application deadlines?
Ans. The deadlines for undergraduate programs at New School vary by college. But the usual deadlines are October 15 for spring admission, November 1 for fall early action, and January 15 for fall regular decision.
Ques. How many letters of recommendation needed to submit for undergraduate admissions?
Ans. Applicants need to submit one counselor recommendation and a teacher’s recommendation from their high school and these must be submitted online through the common application.
Ques. Does the institute provide scholarships to international students?
Ans. Yes, the institute provides scholarships on a merit-basis and most of the students from other countries are not eligible for their need-based scholarships.
FIND A PROGRAM
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
Application Portal :https://www.newschool.edu/admission/
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #801 - #1000
RANKED #251 - #300
RANKED #251 - #300
RANKED #201 - #250
QS World University
RANKED #561 - #570
The world is getting warmer day by day. When I was in school at that time environmental studies was introduced in our school syllabus. But not many students used to take it seriously. As time went by the need for global reform increased. So I had decided to study a subject that very few people took up. My relatives had settled recently in the states. I was lucky that they allowed me to stay with them. So I applied online through the common application by paying $50.
Course Curriculum :
This program takes an interdisciplinary approach to understanding the defining ecological issues during present time and creating opportunities to tackle them in practical, direct ways. This course helps in going beyond natural ecology and resource conservation to focus on urban ecosystems, sustainable design, and public policy issues like global warming.
My mother is an economist and she is a professor at the Presidency University. I have followed the footsteps of my mother. So after I have passed class 12 with 98% in Economics I set my adventure in the United States of America. My parents supported my choice. Through the common application, I gave the entrance exam online. I had applied to several colleges online one such college was here where I got selected.
Course Curriculum :
Topics that were a part of the curriculum were, causes of and possible solutions for rising levels of economic inequality challenges that developing regions face in efforts to increase employment, incomes, and productivity, origins of economic crises, and what societies can do to avoid and manage them, economic aspects of class, gender, racial, and ethnic divisions, economic strategies to tackle climate change, the future of capitalism and many more.
I opted for this college after reading so many good reviews about it. I wasn't very sure then but now I feel pleased with my decision as here they have amazing infrastructure perfect for international students like me! I applied here by submitting an online form through the common application for $50.
Course Curriculum :
Through this program, We're being introduced to informed, critical, and passionate investigation of the economic dynamics of contemporary society. I'm also getting a chance to explore world financial markets and institutions, study the history and philosophy of economics.
Actually, it wasn't me who chose this college but my parents. They are a couple of intellectuals and I totally had faith in them when they selected this college for me, which now I realize, it was a great choice. The application process here was done through the online portal and the application cost us about $50.
Course Curriculum :
The program is helping us learn creative media making, critical analysis, and reflection. We are also being taught entrepreneurialism and management - guided by a faculty that includes noted filmmakers, researchers designers, and scholars.
I was attracted to the emphasis on interdisciplinary learning. Parsons allows you to pursue multiple design fields before narrowing down to one which was essential for someone like me who was not sure what she wanted to pursue initially.
Course Curriculum :
The courses taught to my major are updated every year and since most of our professors all have jobs within the industry I feel like they have great insight and hence we are given quite a lot of exposure and have r ability to ask questions and about their first-hand experiences.
- Bus Station
- Super Market
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary