University of Richmond: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
“The University of Richmond is for the intellectually ambitious’- True to its caption, the University of Richmond, popularly known as UR, was founded in 1830. It is one of the best universities in the USA and enrolls around 4,000 students with over 30% of acceptance rate.
Mainly a university for undergraduates; 13% of its students are international students and about 91% of students stay on Campus. The University offers over 60 majors. The entire faculty is highly qualified. The mascot of the University is ‘Spider.’
US News (2020)
- National Liberal Arts Colleges: #23
- Best Undergraduate Teaching: #45
- Best Value Schools: #24
- Best Colleges for Business in America: #17 of 1,043
- Best Liberal Arts Colleges in America: #21 of 211
- Best Colleges for Global Studies in America: #36 of 82
|Year of foundation||1830|
|Student Faculty ratio||8: 1|
|Average Class Size||16|
|Average Graduation Rate||88%|
|Student Retention Rate||94%|
University of Richmond Programs
- The University of Richmond offers various levels of study to the students.
- UR offers more than 60 undergraduate degrees and around 6 master’s degrees. Business, Liberal Arts and Humanities, Biology, Organizational Behavior Studies, Economics, Accounting, Psychology, Political Science and Government, Education and Biochemistry and Molecular Biology are some of the popular fields of study.
- The School of Arts and Sciences, the Robins School of Business, the Jepson School of Leadership Studies, the UR School of Law and the School of Professional & Continuing Studies are the major five schools and colleges to impart all the courses and programs.
- More than 60 percent of all UR students undertake a study abroad program at least once during study tenure, either for a semester or a full year.
- Some major popular program offered at the university are Management, Business, Marketing, Social Sciences; Biological and Biomedical Sciences; Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies, and Psychology
University of Richmond Campus
- The UR campus is spread in 350 acres of land (with 10 acres of the lake) comprising academic buildings, health center, gymnasium, sports fields, library, residential halls, parking facilities and steam plant amongst other structures.
- This Campus is recognized as the Most Beautiful Campus of the USA by Princeton review and has witnessed the shooting of many Hollywood movies and TV dramas.
- The University also owns 115 acres of land in eastern Goochland County used for Botanical research work currently.
- Richmond students have 190 student organizations including 28 club sports, six honorary societies, 16 religious groups, 14 fraternities and sororities, a student newspaper, and a radio station.
University of Richmond Housing
- The University’s housing includes varied types of facilities like residence halls, the University Forest Apartments, and Gateway Village Apartments. Some accommodations have traditionally designed floor plans, while others have suite-style residences
- The Single rooms cost around 6,600 USD and Doubles and Triples around 6,300 USD per year.
- Atlantic, Dennis, Freeman, Keller, Lakeview, Pacific, Robins, and Wood residences and Forest apartments are provided with basic furniture of Sauder Education and Gray, Jeter, Lora Robins, Marsh, Moore, North, South, and Westhampton halls and gateway Village apartments are provided with Southwest furniture.
- Cable connections, Internet, Laundry, Water supply, Trash removal, and Gas and Electricity facilities are provided in each residence hall and apartment.
- The University offers an unlimited meal plan for over 7,780 USD per year.
- Some other living facilities such as off campus options are also available.
- Several off-campus housing facilities are also available in the USA.
University of Richmond Admission Process
The information of the admission to the University of Richmond is given below.
Admission Portal: University website
- Standardized test scores minimum requirements- SAT- 660 or ACT - 28 are required for the Undergraduate students.
- For the Graduate programs GRE or GMAT scores are required.
- English Language proficiency test scores are required for the students belonging from the non English speaking countries. A student can either appear in the IELTS ( min score - 7.5 bands) or TOEFL (min score - 80) exam.
- Official transcripts of High school/College degree. These transcripts must be attested by the issuing university or Board.
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers and counselors are required depending on the course.
- Resume, Financial support documents, Statement of Purpose, Undergraduates have to write an essay in about 250 words on one of the given topics.
- The international students have to complete an International financial certification form for ascertaining the need for financial aid.
University of Richmond Cost of Attendance
The table tabulated below shows the estimated cost of attendance.
|Room and Board (on Campus) (6600+7780)||14,380|
|Books and Supplies||1,200|
|Personal Expenses and Transportation||2,500|
University of Richmond Financial Aid for International Students
- The University meets the need-based financial requirements 100% of all the admitted students. The average financial award was 47,520 USD each for international students in the academic year 2019-20.
- For merit based scholarships ‘Richmond Scholar’ award is given to 25 students and includes full tuition waiver and room and board charges amounting to approximately 2.60 USD lacs for four years. No separate application is required as applicants are selected on their academic performance and standardized test scores.
- Presidential scholarships of one-third of tuition fee discounts are awarded to 10% of students on the basis of admission application only.
- Almost 100% of university students receive some type of financial aid.
- Other scholarships are also available in the USA.
University of Richmond Notable Alumni
- Being a ‘Spider’ brings a lot of things with it. Having over 50,000 worldwide alumni the university’s alumni association organizes reunions, recreational events, sports events especially in athletics and soccer, provides scholarships and helps in mentoring the students.
- The alumni also organize various seminars and talks to keep the members and students updated with the current events and scenario.
- Some notable alumni of the university are Saul Krugman, Scientist; Leland D. Melvin, NASA astronaut; Kelly , Author;; Dave East, Rapper; Douglas S. Freeman, Two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning author and historian; Mary Sue Terry, Attorney General of Virginia; Robert E. Trono, Deputy Director of the United States Marshals Service, and Joseph Whitehead, Politician.
University of Richmond Placement
- The university has a spider-connect service which helps the students and employers to come together and the career services help through career advisors to find a suitable internship for a job.
- The University also organizes Spider job expos and conducts various workshops on topics like safe job hunting, Interview preparation techniques, Resume writing workshop etc. to enhance the employability skills.
- The on-campus placements, career chats, career expos, international job resources library are various ways through which the university places its students.
- 95% of the students of the college are able to get a job within 2 years of graduation and after 6 years they earn around 64,200 USD per year against the national average of 33,028 USD.