University of California: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1891 and located in California, United States, University of California—Santa Barbara sits atop cliffs close to the Pacific Ocean. The organization is a leading research institution of the US Education System that provides a comprehensive liberal arts learning experience to its aspirants from across the globe.
It offers more than 200 majors, degrees and credentials that includes 90+ undergraduate majors and more than 50 graduate programs and has 6 schools operating under it. From tech pioneers to Oscar winners, prominent scientists to revered musicians, UCSB alumni have made their mark on the world’s biggest professional stages and has made the institute a coveted choice for studying in the USA.
The third oldest campus in the system to offer general education, University of California-Santa Barbara provides admissions for the semester intakes of Fall, Winter and Spring and requires a nonrefundable fee of 80 USD from its international applicants. The institute has an acceptance rate of 33% and thus, is highly competitive in its approach towards admissions. However, with its graduates earning a starting salary of around 77,000 USD, it is undoubtedly a worthwhile pursuit.
- Ranked 34th in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges and National Universities.
- U.S. News & World Report has ranked UCSB school of Engineering graduate program No. 12 among public universities in its annual ranking of the nation's “Best Engineering Schools”.
- Ranked No. 1 Green School among public universities in 2015 by Princeton Review.
- Ranked number 7 among all public universities in U.S. News and World Report's 2020 “Best Colleges” guide
- Ranked 156th in the list of best value schools across the world.
|Endowment||USD 403.8 Million|
|Attendance Fee||Tuition Fee USD 12750 Adding other expenses can extend up to USD 66000 for some students|
|Total Students||Total enrolment : 26,314
Graduate: 2,965 (2019-2020)
|Total Programs||200 +: Undergraduate: 90+, Graduate: 50+|
|Type of Programs||Undergraduate, Graduate and PhD|
|Mode of Program||Full time; Part time; online|
|Housing Capacity||Residence Halls: Total at 9 locations (Capacity: 5425)
Student Apartments: Total at 8 locations (Apartments:1291)
|Financial Aid||Available via Grants, Loans and scholarships.|
|Total alumnus||Around 2,20,000|
Programs, Campus and Accommodation
- The institute has a huge campus of 989 acres and offers various amazing campus life with over 500 student organizations and amazing facilities.
- The campus has amazing recreation venues like Multi-Cultural Centre, Pollock Theatre, and the Art, Design & Architecture Museum.
- From tennis to swimming, basketball to baseball to the track and back, UCSB has amazing athletics facilities.
- Situated very close to the Pacific residence halls have ocean, lagoon, and mountain views.
- The institute provides residence facilities to students both on and off the campus, the on-campus residence facilities are capable to provide room for about 38% of the total students.
- University provides residence facilities for students in Residence halls, apartments and student family homes.
- 1291 apartments for graduate and undergraduate students and residence halls that can incorporate around 5500 students.
- There are a number of off-campus housing entities available to UC Santa Barbara students, located throughout Isla Vista, and are available only to the UCSB affiliated populations.
- It provides more than 800 student jobs and leadership positions, most of which go to residents.
- Rates for housing facilities: Various options are available that can be selected as per the financial situation of students. Rooms are viable starting USD 667 per month.
- Various amenities are available in UCSB residence like:
- High speed wireless internet.
- Furnished stay apartments.
- 24 hours housekeeping.
- Live-in staff for student help and guidance.
- The university offers an array of courses for international students including more than 90 undergraduate and 50 graduate programs through 5 schools and colleges
- The most popular majors are - Social Sciences; Biological and Biomedical Sciences; Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies; Psychology; and Communication, Journalism.
- The institute provides a specaual California State University Program for Education and Research in Biotechnology (CSUPERB) which aims at creating a professional biotechnology workforce in the country.
- The university also provides over 30 online courses that can be accessed online across its 23 campuses by all its candidates enrolled at any campus.
- It also offers several pre-doctoral and professional master's courses in the field of science.
University of California Santa Barbara Application Process
The institute only accepts applications in the fall quarter and is closed for winter and spring admission. Applications from first-time freshman and junior-level transfer students are accepted except for College of Creative Studies, it accepts applications for senior-level transfer.
Following are few important points for UCSB admissions:
|Application Fee||Form filling fee: USD 70; International Student: USD 80
Graduate Programs: Form filling fee: USD 120
International Student: USD 140
|Application Portal||Online Portal|
|Application Deadlines Fall 2021 (Application available from 1 Aug)||Filling Periods: Nov. 2020
For Transfer Students: Nov. 1-30
International Applicants: Nov. 1-30
|Selection Criteria||50% academic & 50% non-academic|
|Test Scores Required||SAT/ACT/GRE/GMAT as per program requirement|
|English Proficiency Test||TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo|
|Additional Requirements||Resume, statement of purpose, financial statement|
How to apply?
Application process for the university has following steps:
- Fill online application form.
- Complete the eligibility criteria for university applications.
- Select the courses and the schools you want to apply for
- Students can apply for fee waiver depending on financial condition in such case application for 4 UC campus is free after that USD 70 for each application is charged
- Submit the fee as per requirement.
University of California Santa Barbara Cost of Attendance
Cost of attendance may vary according to living choices and type of programs of the aspirant enrolled at the institute. The distribution of expenses in the form of an estimated budget for international students looking to study in the US is as mentioned below.
For Undergraduate students who are not California Residents:
University Apartments: USD 62,232 University Residence Halls: USD 66,372
|Campus based fees||USD 1,821|
|Books and supplies||USD 1,260|
|Health care allowance||USD 3,537|
|Loan Fees||USD 96|
|Roam and Board||USD 6,633 / USD 15,039|
|Food||USD 3,807 / USD 0|
|Telephone/ Cell Phone||USD 276 / USD 351|
|Transportation||USD 933 / USD 573|
|Personal Expenses||USD 1545 / USD 1,371|
|Non-Resident Tuition fee||USD 29,754|
|Total||USD 62,232 / USD 66,372|
For Graduate students
For graduate students the tuition fee is the same USD 12,570 but the total fee may vary upon choice of residence and other choices.
The university provides financial aid like awards and scholarships for international students to study in the USA. Financial aid is also available for international or undocumented students via the Dream Act application (CADAA). Applicants are advised to submit applications before March 2.
Students receive over USD 2.2 million in scholarships per year. Over 58% of students are provided with financial aid yearly. The average annual need-based scholarships awarded is USD 20,029.
Awards available for international candidates include Beinecke, Rhodes, Marshall, Mitchell, Goldwater, Truman, and Udall Scholarships etc. However, these are campus specific scholarships and just be applied for through the Division of Undergraduate Education as per deadlines declared by the campus.
Financial aid is provided in forms of Work Study: Student work to earn paycheque to fund their education.
There is also an option for summer financial aid: Students must have a 2019-2020 FAFSA or CADAA on file to be eligible for summer 2020 financial aid. Important dates: April 15 - Financial Aid Estimator availableJune 30 - Last day to submit a 2019-2020 FAFSA or CADAA
UC Santa Barbara has a great Alumni base with over 2,20,000 alumnus who receive lifelong benefits, like access to university publications and resources, vacation and hotel discounts also the alumnus empower students to reach their academic goals by awarding numerous annual scholarships in recognition of achievement and potential.
The students at the university have shown good salary trends. According to daily nexus the UCSB newspaper, the salaries of UCSB graduates in 2011 were USD 47,000 and according to the recent data the starting salary for UCSB graduates is USD 77,000 and 20 years net ROI: USD 505,000.
Find a Program
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
Application Portal :https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/apply_to_uc.html
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
Computer Science (International)
View More >>
QS World University
I always wanted to pursue my higher studies from abroad. In this regard, after completing my bachelor's I convinced my parents to send me to the USA for further studies. After convincing them a lot, they agreed to it. I chose this university on the suggestion of my elder brother. I applied to the university online through the official website. I also paid $70 as the application fee.
Course Curriculum :
After going through the course we will be able to demonstrate broad knowledge of applied statistical methods and data analysis. I think the course is providing in-depth knowledge required by the leaders in the relevant fields.
I have completed my bachelor's degree in computer science from a private college in India. I have always been interested in research and aspire to become a professor. Hackathons, coding challenges, and brain teasers have always been a passion for me which is why I decided to apply for an MS in computer science at UCSB through an online portal. The application fee cost me $140.
Course Curriculum :
As an MS student in computer science at the University of California, I am exposed to advanced training in the field of computer science which will enable me to work in the industry or pursue graduate-level research. We get to choose from three types of curriculum, thesis-based, project-based or comprehensive examination based study.
I originally applied to UCSB because I wanted to attend UC Berkeley. When I realized the applications were the same, I decided to apply to both! The fees are normally $80 I think but I was in the free/ reduced lunch program at school so I had a few waivers for applications. I applied to eight schools all on the west coast, including UCSB, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, SDSU, Cal Poly SLO, University of Washington, and University of Oregon. I was accepted to all except UCLA. When it came down to choosing a college, UCSB was the clear choice. They offered me significant financial aid, it's located on a beach, only a train ride away from home, and academically prestigious! We were ranked the 5th best public school in the nation and the happiest college students in California by Princeton Review! While cost is very important, I needed to choose somewhere I felt like I could be happy. The social, athletic, and academic aspects of the school were very appealing to my extroverted side. I had a 4.2 GPA overall in high school, played varsity women's lacrosse, and competed in the academic league. While I did take several AP classes, I would consider myself a medium, to the above-average student in high school. I got a 1420 on my SAT and a 30 on my ACT. The university seems to prioritize outside commitments and personal statements much higher than test scores through the admissions process in my opinion
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum is very rigorous but extremely captivating. The chemistry and biology series is quite excruciating, but help understand in-depth the fundamentals of psychology and how our brains work. So far I have loved every class, including Math 34A (Calculus for Social sciences). If you prioritize studying and read after the lecture, it is easy to succeed in this program! I would love to provide a copy of the curriculum and my two-year plan if needed.
One of the reasons I chose UC Santa Barbara as a college to go to is because of its close proximity to the ocean and because I wanted to experience the social life on campus which I heard was pretty good at UC Santa Barbara. My experience was amazing because there were tons of things to do like go out for dinner, party on the weekend or going to town for great food. Also, I chose UCSB as my college because before I came here I visited the campus just once and fell in love with the scenery.
Course Curriculum :
UC Santa Barbara offers many great programs and classes for students that are great whether they are for your major or just recreation you get to enjoy each one of them since the professors are really down to earth and are willing to spend time with you. Some classes get full but that is why you have sections and get shorter classes with some really good TA's. I took Geography with Professor Sweeney and he has a lot of knowledge on the subject and he is also a pretty fun guy.
UCSB has a great reputation and a diverse student body. Its campus is located right on the beach and students are friendly and fun. There is a good party scene as well as great academics and there is always something to do around campus.
Course Curriculum :
The curriculum is challenging. There is definitely no such thing as an easy A at this school. In my major especially, it's hard to even pass classes and I have had to retake a few classes. However, if you are disciplined and work hard you should be able to graduate.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Super Market
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary