Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 2020-2021 Admissions: Acceptance Rate, Requirements, Deadlines, Application Process
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA is a private institution located in New York which offers admission to a wide number of undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees. There are several programs in the fields of Architecture, Business, Engineering, Humanities, IT, Science, and research projects. The institute operates through the School of Architecture, School of Engineering, School of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, Lally School of Management, and School of Science.
In fall 2019, the institute received applications from 18,635 students and accepted 47% out of the initial pool of applicants. Out of the accepted applicants, 19% enrolled in the institute. It currently houses 7,895 students out of which 6,628 are undergraduate students. With a 13:1, faculty-student ratio, the college is a good place to study.
Some points to be considered before applying to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute are as follows:
- Applications for admission are accepted for the fall and spring semesters.
- International applicants can apply through Common Application or Coalition Applications.
- A wide range of English proficiency tests is accepted by the college to encourage applications.
- Admission to various undergraduate programs requires ACT/ SAT scores whereas graduate programs require GRE/ GMAT scores.
- In the class of 2022, 64% of the enrolled students ranked in the top 10% of their class in high school.
- 84% of students received financial aid from the institution.
COVID-19 Admission Updates
- All students applying for undergraduate programs to this renowned institute of the US Education System can choose whether or not to submit SAT or ACT scores.
- Students who have stayed back in the U.S. for the remainder of the semester will retain visa status even though classes are conducted online.
- If students remain enrolled but report their location outside the U.S. will retain F-1 status. Students having a valid F-1 visa and returning within 5 months should not have issues in entering the country.
- Students have the option of converting a letter grade in any spring course to a pass/No credit grade by May 15.
|Application mode||Common, Coalition and Candidate’s choice|
|Application fee||70 USD|
|Mode of Payment||Credit card|
|Average SAT Score||620-710 (Evidence based reading and writing)
|Average ACT Score||28-34|
|Intake seasons||Fall/ Spring|
|Academic Calendar||Semester based|
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Admission Deadlines
Both the undergraduate and graduate deadlines differ. Applications are accepted for the fall and spring semesters. Graduate admission for fall is only open for the management school while other deadlines apply to other schools.
Following is the table for deadlines-
|Early Decision 1||November 1|
|Early Decision 2||December 15|
|Regular admission||January 15|
|Spring admission||November 1|
|Fall||Rolling basis (for MBA/ MS applicants)|
Note: Early Decision is meant for those students who have decided Rensselaer is their first choice and is ready to withdraw applications from all other colleges if selected at Rensselaer.
International Student Admissions
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute offers admission to international students from all over the world. The admission processes for domestic and international students are the same. There are some additional requirements that must be fulfilled by international applicants.
Application portal: There are 3 ways to apply to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute:
Application fee: 70 USD for undergraduates, 75 USD for graduates
Basic Admission Requirements
- Academic transcripts- All official transcripts from secondary schools with English translations
- International Student Financial Statement- Evidence of all financial support to cover the education and living expenses of the student. Only original documents will be accepted only through the post.
- English proficiency test scores - TOEFL, IELTS, PTE
- Interview - Duo lingo, Initial view, Vericant accepted (To encourage admissions from China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan)
- Letter of recommendation
- Essay/ Personal statement
English Proficiency Test Score for International Students
International students aspiring to take admission to the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute also have to fulfill language requirements to test their skills and English proficiency.
Visa Process for International Students
All students willing to take admission to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute must apply for an F-1 visa to study in the USA. There are different steps in the process for acquiring a visa. These are as follows:
- Fill the I-20 request form
- Provide college with a color passport picture, picture of passport and deposit the tuition fee
- After submission, the college will enter all the information in the database of SEVIS.
- Appointment for a VISA interview at a U.S. embassy consulate
- Use the SEVIS number to get the appointment
- Pay the SEVIS fee
- Make a visa appointment and go for an interview
To important guidelines to help applicants easily get through the visa issuance and maintenance process are as follows-
- Always keep your passport with yourself at all times and contact the embassy in case of a passport extension.
- Registration as a full-time student at the institute is a must.
- Keep a check on your program end date and apply for an extension to keep your I-20/DS-2019 valid.
- Always update the ISSS and SIS on any change of address within 10 working days.
- J-1 health insurance must be maintained.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Undergraduate Admissions
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute offers a variety of undergraduate programs in fields related to architecture, arts, music, law, and medical programs. While applying, students will have to make a choice of specific major they want admission to.
Where to apply: Common Application/ Coalition Application/ Candidate’s choice application
Application fee: 70 USD
Admission Requirements: The following documents must be submitted along with the application for undergraduate programs:
- Official High school transcript
- Letter of Recommendation (Preferably from a Math or science teacher who knows you well)
- Test Scores of SAT/ ACT (SAT code: 2757; ACT code: 2866)
- Essay (A personal statement is required which is program-specific)
- If applying to architecture or Music programs, you need to have a portfolio.
- Early Decision Agreement Form (if applicable)
- Students are expected to have high school preparation with an academic background in:
- Mathematics (calculus recommended) – 4 years
- Science (including chemistry and lab-based physics) – 3 years
- English – 4 years
- Social studies/ history – 3 years
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Graduate Admissions
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute offers multiple full-time and part-time graduate programs in several disciplines such as architecture, business, engineering, IT, science etc. for international candidates seeking to study in the USA. Before applying for graduate programs students must have completed a 4-year U.S. bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Every graduate program has separate requirements and deadlines for applying.
Where to Apply: Online application
Application Fee: 75 USD
Admission Requirements: The documents that are required for graduate program admissions are as follows:
- Completed application
- Transcripts and degrees earned with English translation
- Personal statement
- Updated CV/ resume
- Letters of recommendation
- Portfolio (depending on department applied to)
- GMAT/ GRE scores
Details of the requirements of some graduate programs are given in the table below:
|Degree||MBA and MS||M. Arch, MS Arch||MS Biology|
|Application Fee||75 USD||75 USD||75 USD|
|Application Deadline||Fall 2020- Applications on a rolling basis
Spring- August 15
Fall 2021- To be determined
|Spring- August 15
Fall 2021- To be determined
|Spring- August 15
Fall 2021- To be determined
|Letter of Recommendation||Required- 2||Required- 2||Required - 2|
|Portfolio||Not required||Required – Work samples||Not required|
|English proficiency scores||TOEFL IBT- 88
|TOEFL IBT- 88
|TOEFL IBT- 88
|GMAT/GRE scores||GMAT preferred||Not required||GRE test score encouraged|
The institute has a good retention rate of 92% and a graduation rate of 85%. Graduate applicants need to be ready with program-specific requirements and a well-tailored resume, personal statement, letter of recommendations are mandatory for applications.
Once admitted to the institute, students must fill the ‘Confirmation Form for Admitted Students’ to confirm acceptance to the program. Students who wish to withdraw from admission must complete ‘Request Withdrawal for Admitted Graduate Students’. Besides confirmation of admission, international students must also provide financial documents, sponsor letters, and a copy of the passport ID page. These documents will also be required for initiating the visa process.
Ques. How can I apply to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute?
Ans. There are 3 ways to apply for an undergraduate program at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. These include Common Application, Coalition Application, and Candidate’s choice application. Graduate applicants can apply by completing an online application through the website.
Ques. Is there an application fee to apply for Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute?
Ans. Yes, undergraduate applicants pay an application fee of 70 USD for applying to the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Graduate applicants must pay 75 USD for completing the application. All payments must be made using a credit card.
Ques. When should I apply for an early decision at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute?
Ans. Only if you have decided Rensselaer is your first choice and you are ready to withdraw applications from all other colleges if selected at Rensselaer then go for an early decision deadline.
Ques. Do I need to submit a letter of recommendation to apply for Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute?
Ans. Yes, submission of at least 1 letter of recommendation for undergraduate programs and 2 letters of recommendation for graduate programs is necessary to apply at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The recommendation can be from a teacher, counselor, or a professional one.
Ques. Can I withdraw my name from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute after selection is complete?
Ans. Yes it is possible to withdraw from admission after Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute has declared the results. To do so, you must complete ‘Request Withdrawal for Admitted Graduate Students’.