Howard University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Howard University is a leading private, research university in the USA comprising 13 different schools and colleges. Students can pursue their courses in more than 140 specializations leading to undergraduate or graduate or professional degrees. Howard University has awarded more than 120,000 degrees in arts, sciences, humanities, management and various other programs.
The National Science Foundation has rated Howard highly for churning out skilled African-American graduates. It has also initiated on-campus African-American research studies more than any other university in the US. Till now, the university has produced 25 Pickering Fellows, 12 Truman Scholars, four Rhodes Scholars, three Marshall Scholars, and one Schwarzman Scholar. Thus it is one university that you can consider studying in the USA.
Coming to Howard University Rankings, the university is nicely placed here as well. Princeton Review has ranked The School of Business at the #1 spot for providing an opportunity to minority students. Diverse Issues in Higher Education has ranked the university at the #1 spot for churning out African American students in communications and journalism. And the list never ends!
Howard University also offers need-based financial aid to deserving students. As per the latest reports, 81% of full-time undergraduates receive need-based scholarships or grants amounting to 7,778 USD on average.
Howard University Rankings
Mentioned below are the current Howard University Rankings, please check below.
- Ranked #80 among National Universities by the U.S. News and World Reports (USNWR).
- Among the top 1000 World Universities, the Howard University Ranking is 651 – 700 as per QS Global World Rankings 2021.
- THE has ranked the institute at 201 – 250th in World University Rankings 2021.
Howard University Highlights
|Payment mode||Via the common app, credit card|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships, loans, grants|
|Cost of attendance||USD 48,080|
Howard University Campus
- The university is based on sprawling 256 acres of land.
- Howard University consists of one main campus and the other three campuses namely the School of Law, the School of Divinity and Howard’s Research family.
- Furthermore, the main campus has over 63 residential, Library, dining and six-storey 400 - bed hospital, i.e., the Howard University Hospital.
- Howard University offers various services to the students. These include nonremedial tutoring, placement service, health service, and health insurance.
- Students will feel completely safe inside the campus because of 24-hour patrols, emergency telephone services, lighted pathways/sidewalks, and controlled dormitory access.
- Also, students can avail of late-night transport/escort service as well.
- In today’s technology centred world, computer access is important for students. The university offers computer, 24 hours high-speed internet and other related resources inside the Library, Residential Halls, Labs, and Student Center.
- You will find various landmarks inside the HU Washington campus. These are Andrew Rankin Memorial Chapel, Fredrick Douglass Memorial Hall, and the Founders Library.
- University has over 200 registered clubs. International clubs provide a social outlet for international students. Several programs on international topics and seminars relating to the culture of other countries
- Various sports activities are encouraged inside the campus for men and women. These sports include – Flag Football, Indoor and Outdoor Soccer, Basketball, Badminton, Golf, Ultimate Frisbee, Tennis, and Water Polo.
With all such facilities, Howard University is among the fastest-growing universities in the USA. Read on further to know about programs, the admission process, scholarships, placements, and etc.
Howard University Residence
- The Howard University consists of Eight Residence Halls with 24/7 controlled entry and front desk service. These halls are College Hall North (For Female), Harriet Tubman Quadrangle (For Female), Drew Hall (For Male), Cook Hall (Male), College Hall South (Co-ed), Plaza Towers East (For co-ed, Undergraduates), Bethune Annex (Co-ed, undergraduates), and Plaza Towers West (For co-ed, undergraduates).
- The charges of these halls are variable based on quality and amenities. For single sharing, the charges vary between 5,000 – 6,000 USD. For double sharing, it varies between 3,000 – 5,000 USD.
- All the residence halls are equipped with a seminar room and/or recreation space. Students who want to reserve these seminar rooms for special programs initiatives must complete the reservation forms approved by the Residence Hall Manager. You may ask help from the front desk for which an extra nominal fee may be required.
- Basic amenities like washers and dryers are located in every laundry rooms in each building. Each resident needs to purchase a laundry card to use laundry equipment from the residence halls or the university bookstore.
- Each residence hall has vending machines which are stocked with foods and drinks. Students can visit them anytime.
- Television rooms and lounges are located in each hall. Several halls have kitchenettes for the students and they are responsible for their cleanliness after its use. Also, parking spaces are available for the residents who live in the residence halls.
- Students willing to live off-campus can also go to Off-Campus Housing and Community Engagement (OCHCE) for guidance on finding a suitable place to stay.
Howard University Programs
Howard has awarded more than 12,000 degrees and certificates. Students have the options to choose a major from around 23 departments and programs within divisions of fine arts, humanities, natural sciences and social sciences.
- Students are also allowed to take outside their program of study which allows intellectual growth.
- Some of the popular programs offered include biomedical sciences, communication, social sciences, business, management, biology and health professions, marketing etc.
- Special programs like pre-professional courses, writing across the curriculum and service-learning are offered by the university.
- College of Arts and Sciences provides an opportunity for graduates and undergraduates to study abroad through faculty-led activities.
Howard University Application Process
The application process for admission at Howard University is briefly described below:
Application Portal: Common Application or Graduate Application
Application fee: USD 45 for undergraduates and 75 USD for graduates.
- Academic records of grades nine to twelve, as well as external examination, predicted grades or national standardized examination certificates submitted via common app by your counsellor. Examples of national standardized examinations include CSEC, CAPE, BGCSE, IB, and WASSCE.
- An academic evaluation by a NACES member is required who have not met the above criteria.
- One letter of recommendation from a guidance counsellor or school officials via mail or common app.
- One letter of recommendation from a high school teacher is also required.
- Official SAT or ACT scores must be submitted
- A score of 90 on the TOEFL iBT and IELTS score of 6.5 is required for the applicants whose native language is not English.
- All the documents should be submitted in English via the common app or via mail
- Original certificates and final secondary school records
- Official university transcripts and mark sheets directly sent to the Office of Graduate Recruitment and Admissions.
- Scores of Standardized Test (GRE, GMAT, IELTS)
- Academic evaluation by NACES member.
- All documents bearing the same name that appears on the admissions application unless an official document is submitted indicating the change of name.
All the documents must be accompanied by an official translated copy if the documents are not in English.
Howard University Cost of Attendance
Direct costs are items that appear on the university bill. It shows the cost of a Howard University Education. Indirect costs are the ones that do not appear on the university bill and costs that should be included in your budget.
Students actual cost of attendance may vary due to factors like the number of enrolled credit hours, room and board choices, degree program and plan and personal and miscellaneous expenses etc.
|Direct costs estimate||On-campus costs (USD)|
|Housing and needs||14,180|
|Indirect costs estimate||On-campus costs (USD)|
|Books and supplies||1,900|
Howard University Financial Aid
To study in the USA, scholarships and financial aids are critical to cater to a student’s cost burden. As international students are not eligible for federal aid, ISFAA allows for institutional aid which asks for detailed financial information including information on assets, parents wages, other investments and additional sources of income for processing purposes.
At Howard University, 96% of the students get qualified to receive financial aids. Some of the scholarships are mentioned here:
Fulbright Nehru Master’s Fellowships: The Fullbright Nehru fellowship program is for PG students which lasts for a duration of 1 – 2 years. The application deadline is June 1, 2021. The benefits which can be availed by the students are – J1 visa support, round-trip economy class air travel from your home city to your college in the US, funding for tuition fees, living costs, and coverage for any sickness or accident as per the US government policies.
M Power Global Citizen Scholarships 2021: This scholarship is awarded to meritorious students enrolling in courses within the US or Canada supported by M Power. The scholarship amount varies between 1,000 – 5,000 USD yearly. The application deadline for availing of the scholarship is July 20, 2021.
Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship: The Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship offered to graduate students who are economically backward. The Foundation covers the tuition fees and living expenses of the students only. The scholarship does not cover any travel costs.
Students must note one thing that Agha Khan foundation issue 50% of the scholarship amount in the form of grants and the remaining as a loan. One has to repay the loan within 5 years starting from 6 months after course completion. The application deadline is March 22, 2021. Check more about the Agha Khan Foundation Scholarship.
Howard University Alumni Network
- Many of the faculty and alumni are renowned globally in their particular specializations in major fields which include arts and humanities, biological and life sciences, engineering and life sciences, and social sciences.
- Alumni enjoy the offer of discounted ticket tickets to HUAA sponsored events, access to the historic founder library and a part of a robust mentoring alumni network.
- Alumni gets the chance to recruit current students.
- Some of the Renowned alumni include:
- Engineering: Aerospace Engineer- Aprille Ericsson
- Entertainment: Debbie Allen, Chadwick Bosman
- Law: late Supreme Court justice Thurgood Marshall
- Medicine: renowned surgeon and teacher- Lasalle D.Leffall
- Politics and Social Justice: former Atlanta Mayor, U.N. Ambassador and civil rights leader - Andrew Young
Howard University Placements
The office of career services hosts internships and job fairs for all students every fall and spring semesters as well as on-campus interviews. Some of the placement reports are mentioned below for those who want to study in the USA.
- The median earnings 2 years after graduation add 35,800 USD per year while 6 years after graduation add up to 49,200 USD per year.
- 25% of the students earn less than 21,8100 USD per year while 25% earn more than 53,200 USD per year, 2 years after graduation
- 25% of the students earn less than 29,400 USD per year while 25% earn more than 71,500 USD per year, 6 years after graduation
Thus, Howard University offers a viable option to the students who want to pursue higher studies in the USA. The university offers both financial aid and decent placements against its courses at affordable fees. Students must now plan to take up certain exams like GRE, GMAT, SAT, IELTS, TOEFL and others depending on the choice of course required to be eligible for studying there.
Find a Program
Application Portal :https://www.howard.edu/enrollment/admission
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
Ranked #201 - #250
Clinical Science (International)
Ranked #301 - #400
Ranked #601 - #800
QS World University
Ranked #651 - #700
My university believes that leadership is a process and that all of us can be leaders—in their student organizations, campus jobs, and academic courses no matter what position I may hold. My GPA was 8. I had to submit a common application. I was keen to get admitted here.
Course Curriculum :
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry prepares students for careers as professional chemists and serves as a foundation for careers in other fields such as biology and medicine. The curriculum offers a thorough fundamental knowledge of the major fields of chemistry, covering the general areas of inorganic, organic, and physical chemistry, plus many more specialized courses including analytical, nuclear, and biophysical chemistry and chemical biology. Students gain laboratory experience in inorganic and organic synthesis, analytical methods, physical chemical measurements, spectroscopy, biochemical engineering, and chemical methods in nuclear technology.
I was looking for an exciting and strategic location to attend college in the coming years, there was no better place than Washington, D.C. The nation’s capital offers a diverse population and multicultural atmosphere, an array of historic landmarks, and many venues for soaking up arts and entertainment. After securing a GPA of 7, I had to submit a common application form for an application fee of $45.
Course Curriculum :
The Master of Accountancy program is a specialized advanced graduate-level business program focused on preparing me for successful careers in corporate accounting, governmental accounting, non-profit accounting, auditing, and advisory and consulting services.
My College of Medicine is internationally regarded for its illustrious legacy of training students to become competent and compassionate physicians who provide health care in medically underserved communities at home and abroad. The College is a national leader in studying health disparities. My GPA was around 8, I had applied through an online application form along with $45.
Course Curriculum :
My Architecture program has a new focus and rigor in research theory as part of the final three semesters of the five-year program. Changes to the curriculum, however, begin with the first year of study and continue to ensure better sequencing of knowledge and skillsets gained in preparation for more advanced content.
After pursuing my bachelor's degree in astronaut physics, my aim is to pursue a master's degree and contribute to society in this field by doing research. So my teacher suggested me to apply to some colleges and this was one of them and I got in.
Course Curriculum :
We study core physics, light classical mechanics, electromagnetic theory, and statistical mechanics that help us with our research and work.
My brother encouraged me to apply to an HBCU and once I applied and got in I saw that they gave me a generous scholarship so I accepted. I chose a BS in Biology because I knew I wanted to study medicine.
Course Curriculum :
I think Howard could benefit from having a wider variety of courses offered especially in the sciences. More high-level specific courses. There are only a few different genres offered. For instance, the biology department focuses mostly on non-human courses. Plants and microbiology departments are strong. But not much aimed towards pre-med students.
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary