University of Akron: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Founded in 1870 as Buchtel College, the University of Akron is a public university located in northeastern Ohio around 40 miles south of Cleveland. With a student enrollment of over 19,200 students from 46 U.S States and 71 foreign countries, UA offers admissions into its various undergraduate and graduate programs.
The University of Akron is the most influential public institute in the USA for research. Located in the “Rubber Capital of the World,” UA offers one of the largest polymer research and education programs through its College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering.
- The University of Akron has been ranked #293 - #381 in the list of National Universities by US News and World Reports.
- It is ranked #335 in Top Performers on Social Mobility.
- This university ranks #260 in Business Programs.
|Year of Established||1870|
|Type of University||Public|
|Total Number of Full- Time Faculty||661|
|Total Number of Enrolled Students||19,218|
|Number of International Students||1,000|
|Acceptance Rate||69 %|
|Students receiving financial aid||84%|
|Test Scores Accepted||TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, ACT|
University of Akron Campus and Student Housing
The main campus of the University of Akron is located in Ohio, USA. It is part of the University System of Ohio. Spread over an area of 218 acres the university houses 80 academic and residential buildings.
The residential campus of UA is convenient, full of amenities and comfort. The halls of UA are award-winning in Ohio. The halls provide smoke-free facilities, Free Laundry facilities for every building, Internet access, air conditioning facilities, vending machine facilities. The students have the option to choose the residence halls based on the preference of location on campus, shared or private bathroom, shared self-cooking kitchen or meal offered.
The residence halls at the university are located in four quads to the campus- North, South, East and West. A few of the residence halls at the university include:
- Bulger Hall is a suite-style double room 16-floor building with 21 students assigned to each floor sharing the living area, with common bathrooms.
- Honors Complex housing 300 honors students in single and double occupancy suite-style rooms with both private and shared bathrooms.
- Orr Hall with a three-story building houses 120 students living in double rooms with a common bathroom.
- Quaker Square Residence Hall houses more than 400 students that stay in double or triple occupancy bedrooms, both with private bathrooms.
- South Hall is a community of 530 residents living in suite-style bedrooms. They live and share single and double occupancy bedrooms.
- Spicer Hall, a five-story building that houses more than 450 students in single or double occupancy suite-style bedrooms.
Programs offered at The University of Akron
The University of Akron or UA provides a wide variety of in-demand degrees. The students have the option to select from more than 200 undergraduate majors, certificates and minor courses, graduate degrees and certificates. The university offers associate and bachelor's degrees, accelerated graduate programs where the student can earn a bachelor’s and master’s degree in five years.
- The programs offered at the University of Akron are offered at the university’s 11 colleges and schools.
- The College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering is home to the world’s largest polymer academic program and the greatest concentration of polymer expertise. This is helping to establish Northeast Ohio as an advanced functional materials hub that competes on the world stage in the development and commercialization of materials for various industries.
- The College of Engineering is the fourth fastest-growing engineering college in the USA.
- UA’s College of Business Administration is one of the only 2% of business schools worldwide that have dual AACSB accreditation in business and accounting.
- For over 20 years, the Industrial/Organizational Psychology program ranks among the nation’s top 10 by various ranking systems.
- The most popular majors for international students are business administration, computer science and other IT fields, engineering, engineering technology, math, natural sciences, nursing, respiratory therapy technology, etc.
All You Need To Know About The Application Process at the University of Akron
Where to Apply: For admissions to the University of Akron, applicants must complete their admission applications online. UG applicants can apply using the Common Application while the graduate applicants can apply using the University Online Application.
Application Fee: UG applications cost 50 USD while the graduate applications cost 70 USD.
Application Deadline: The UG deadlines for international students are only open for the Fall and Spring semester. The deadlines are:
The Graduate School processes international applications as they are received. It is recommended that students apply at least six months in advance of the intended date of enrollment. However, since each academic department has internal deadlines that need to be followed it is also recommended that students contact the academic department regarding such deadlines.
- Completed application form
- Official transcripts of previously attended educational institutions that are evaluated by a credential evaluation agency such as
- Standardized exams to study in the USA
- Proof of English language proficiency
- The financial documentation that proves the availability of expenses for year expenses at the University of Akron
- Copy of passport
- Mandatory Health Insurance in the USA
Cost of Attendance
The estimated annual cost and expenses for international students are given below:
|Expenses||Annual Fee (in USD)|
|Tuition and Fees||16,000|
|On-Campus room and board||11,220|
NOTE- If students bring dependent, then total cost increases by USD 3,315. And the room and onboard charges include two meals a day cost.
Scholarships And Financial Aid
The University of Akron’s annual cost of attendance is very affordable as compared to other universities and colleges in the region. The university offers a number of scholarships to help international students finance their studies in the USA.
To be considered by the university for scholarship students are required to provide their ACT or SAT score as a part of the application process. A few of the scholarships offered to new freshmen international students at the University of Akron are:
- Akron Advantages- Akron Advantage is a tuition surcharge waiver awarded to both international students and out-of-state American students. Students will automatically receive an annual 3,000 USD tuition surcharge waiver. There is no separate application required to apply for Akron Advantage.
- Akron International Scholars Award- The Akron International Scholars Award (AISA) is available for the Fal semesters to one outstanding applicant. Applicants are required to submit an application and required documents to avail the scholarship. The AISA application deadline is February 15. This award covers the full tuition, room and board expenses for the recipient who also demonstrates a significant financial need.
- Akron Guarantee Scholarship- The Akron Guarantee Scholarship (AGS) is awarded in the first year. Award amount for the scholarship ranges between 1,000 USD to 7,500 USD. The scholarship amount increases in value at 30, 60 and 90 credits earned.
International students can also apply for various other external international scholarships to study in the USA that are awarded by various private agencies and organizations as well as the government in the respective home countries.
UA has approximately 168,341 alumni across 123 countries. The top 5 countries include the USA (152,751), India (164), Canada (158), China (150), and South Korea (123). The UA has many notable alumni in various fields.
Some of the notable alumni are:
- Betty Sutton- Former Ohio congresswoman
- Jim Tressel- President of Youngstown State University in Youngstown
- Daniel Horrigan- Current Akron Mayor
- Jason Taylor- American football defensive end
Find a Program
Application Portal :https://www.uakron.edu/admissions/undergraduate/admission_procedures/index.dot
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
I opted for this college due to its location. My sister lives in Ohio and I wanted to study in a public university in the USA so that I can also explore and learn new cultures. Being a fine arts student in my 12th I wanted to visit a place that can be promising for my learning period. You will find the course curriculum a bit exciting as it includes major topics from life drawing, illustrations, art and history, intermediate drawing, foundations of 2D and 3D, etc.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum is way beyond expectations. The course will help you to understand better concepts of the basics and advanced levels of Arts. The environment is very friendly and learning-oriented too.
The admission process is very simple. The strength of my scores in the high school curriculum and my SAT scores were taken into consideration. I chose this college as one of the influential public research universities. My 12th grades were above average and my SAT scores were satisfactory which was the main reason for my selection.
Course Curriculum :
The curriculum covers the major aspects of the anthropology field. The core papers I studied include human culture, human evolution, anthropological theory, archaeological theory, introduction to anthropological data, and introduction to archaeology. The general education core curriculum which I completed includes English composition, mathematics, natural and social sciences, oral communication, physical education, etc.
The search for better education and different teaching techniques took me to the USA. I applied in two to three-course and was selected in two of them. Out of both of them, I decided to take admission in the University of Akron. The university provides better education and will definitely help me excel in my field. I applied through the online portal for the admission.
Course Curriculum :
The curriculum is based on broad theoretical principles and applied practices. I will be getting a chance to study financial reporting, cost management, and taxation. 16 credit hours per semester are required to complete the course.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary