Alcorn State University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Located in Lorman, Mississippi, Alcorn State University is a public grant US institute which offers a plethora of undergraduate, graduate and associate courses for international students at the ranging levels of degree and certificate. Established in 1871, it is the first historically black university founded with a motto of “Where Knowledge and Character Matter” and is currently home to some of the brilliant minds across the globe.
The institute is one of the coveted names in the US Education System that provides some unparalleled programs like MBA, Electrical Engineering and Computer System & Network Technology across its 6 diverse schools. It has more than 4000 students enrolled with a network of 25000+ Alumni all over the world.
Admissions at Alcorn State University are available on a rolling basis round the year and follow an extremely holistic approach when processing applications. With a high acceptance rate of nearly 89%, the enrollment at the institute is very lightly selective and any candidate with a decent profile and a spectacular academic record stands a fair chance of obtaining admission. This and a good enough chance of landing some of the high paying jobs in the country has made the university one of the favourite academic institutes to study in the USA for international students.
Alcorn State University, USA has been ranked (2020 Rankings) by US News and World Report as
- The university ranks at #82 in regional universities south, 2020 by a recent survey conducted by the US News.
- It bagged the position 53rd in the category of Top performers on social mobility, 2020.
- It is also honored at #36 in the list of top public schools by a 2020 survey of US News.
|Type of University||Public|
|Admission Season||Rolling Deadlines|
|English Language Proficiency Scores||IELTS or equivalent|
|Financial Aid||Available as Scholarships and Awards|
|Student’s Helpline||Email: email@example.com
Phone: (601) 877-6148 Fax: (601) 877-6347
Programs, Campus and Accommodation
- Alcorn State University, USA is located in Claiborne County, Mississippi which is about seven miles west of Lorman. It has three campuses in Lorman, Natchez, and Vicksburg.
- The institute kind of stands in isolation and is at a distance from all the neighboring cities with an approximate distance of 40 to 80 miles from Vicksburg or Jackson. The campus provides some heavenly picturesque views and is a blend of old and new buildings surrounded with lush greens everywhere.
- There are more than 40 clubs and organizations; fraternities and Sororities, Greek Organizations, Departmental organizations such as Alpha Kappa Psi Professionals, Criminal Justice, Business fraternities; Honor Societies such as Beta Kappa Chi; Music groups; Theatre groups; Special Interest Group.
- Students can also be part of the annual publication of the University ‘The Alcornite’ and ‘The Campus Chronicle’ , the student-run newspaper.
- Student Government Association is a student body which includes an executive board and monitors students affairs in college
- The university has its main campus located in rural south-western Mississippi which is spread across a vast land of 1,753 acres. Apart from the main campus, the institute also has 2 other campuses located in Natchez and Vicksburg.
Alcorn State University, USA offers 8 housing options to the students. The rooms are provided at various rates according to the suitability and preference of applicants. The average housing rates including meal plans for various residence halls vary from 4,131 to 5,690. The Residence Halls are:
- John Burrus Hall: For Upper Class and Freshman; Females Only; Traditional Style; Double Occupancy rooms with 2 single beds, two desks,2 chairs,2 wardrobes, closets; Community bathroom on each floor; Laundry Facilities; Computer lab; Wifi; Ethernet and Cable; Vending Machines
- Female Honors Hall: Upperclass and freshman females who have 3+ GPA can reside, 640 Beds; Suite Style; Double Occupancy rooms with 2 single beds, two desks,2 chairs,2 wardrobes, closets; Laundry Facilities; Computer lab; Wifi; Ethernet and Cable; Vending Machines; Study rooms; full-service cafeteria
- Hiram Revels Halls: Upperclass and Freshman Males;214 Beds; Laundry Facilities; Computer lab; Wifi; Ethernet and Cable; Double Occupancy rooms with 2 single beds, two desks,2 chairs,2 wardrobes, closets
- Medgar Wiley Evers Heritage Village: Complex A and B - 231 beds; Complex C- 269 Beds; Complex D - 260 Beds; Suite Style; Semi-private Baths; Double rooms with full kitchenette, furnished living area,flat-screen TV; Private rooms with kitchenette and Flat Screen TV, Wifi; Ethernet
- Natchez Campus: UpperClassmen, for Nursing and Business Majors; Suite Style Rooms; Semi-Private baths, fitness Center, wifi, Double Occupancy rooms with 2 single beds, two desks,2 chairs,2 wardrobes, closets
- Alcorn State University offers a plethora of courses for international students including Associate, Bachelors, Masters, Specialist and Doctoral Degrees.
- The 6 schools under it are School of Arts and Sciences, School of Business, School of Education and Psychology, School of Nursing and Graduate Studies.
- It offers more than 15 Graduate Programs in the fields of Agriculture and Applied Sciences, Arts and Sciences, Business Research, Education and Health Sciences.
- It also offers some online programs such as Criminal Justice, Child Development, Business Administration at Undergraduate level and Workforce Education, Master of Biology, Doctor of Nursing Practice at Graduate Level.
- The institute is famous for Liberal Arts, Agriculture Research Technology, Music and Nursing.
Alcorn State University Application Process
How to apply?
Application Portal: Apply online at the official website.
Application fee: Not applicable
Admission Deadlines: No fixed deadlines, admissions are offered on a rolling basis. Students can apply before July 15 for Fall, November 15 for Spring Semester and April 25 for Summers
Basic Admission Requirement: Completed the basic College Prep Curriculum with a minimum 3.2 GPA or equivalent.
- Application form for admission.
- Appropriate final transcripts of previously attended educational institutions.
- The satisfactory score of the ACT and SAT.
- The minimum score required in ACT is 18 or an equivalent SAT score should be submitted.
- Photocopy of Social Security Card.
- Immunization Records.
- English language proficiency scores.
- Letters of Recommendation.
Note that Standardized Scores for admission at the institute are TOEFL PBT - 525; TOEFL CBT- 195; TOEFL IBT- 71; ACT - 18 or SAT equivalent.
Alcorn State University Cost of Attendance
It is always advised that international aspirants applying at a foreign university have a pre idea of the basic budget required to survive in a place away from home. The estimated budget for international students looking to study in the US is as given below.
|Expenses||Cost (In USD)|
The Housing rates plus the meal plans per semester for different residences are given below:
|Residence Halls||Cost (In USD)|
|John Burrus Hall||4441|
|Female Honors Hall||4522|
|Hiram Revels Halls||4441|
|Medgar Wiley Evers Heritage Village||Double - 5394 Single- 5690|
|Natchez Campus||2417(Without Meal Plan)|
The university realises the importance of quality education for all and thus offers various awards and scholarships for international students to study in the USA. Around 48% of full-time graduate students receive financial aid as a scholarship. The average grant award is 3,028 USD.
The deadline for submission of application for the Year 2020 Academic Scholarship is April 1, 2020. All scholarships are awarded on the basis of the availability of funds.
The various types of financial aids offered are:
- President’s Excellence Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students having a composite score of 28 or above on the ACT and 3.25 or better cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale. The scholarship amount covers a sum of 18,000 USD per year for the period of eight semesters.
- Provost Scholar Scholarship: This is offered to students scoring between 24 to 27 on the ACT to first-time freshmen. And this scholarship is offered for eight semesters covering the sum of 15,000 USD per year.
- University Scholar Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students with ACT scores of 22 or 23. This scholarship covers 10,000 USD per year. This scholarship is renewable for extended up-to 8 semesters.
- Alcorn State University, USA has a network of more than 25000 alumni. Office of Alumni Relations makes sure to organize various events such as Reunions, Homecoming, Mid Winter Conferences for its alumni.
- National Alumni Association is a way to remain in contact with your fellow mates and make the best out of it. Alumni are recognized for their efforts through awards like Outstanding Young Alcornite Award, Faith Service Award. Meritorious Award, Undergraduate of the Year Award etc.
- Some of its notable Alumni are:
- Adena Williams Boston - President of St Philip's College, Texas
- Frank Purnell- Former professional football player Green Bay Packers
- Alexander O’Neal - Musician
- Jennifer Riley Collins - Executive Director at Mississippi NAACP
The university, USA offers various opportunities to its students in Job and Internships. The Career Center helps students through Cover letter Preparation, Resume tips, Internships, Job shadowing etc.
Handshake is the official online Job Portal. It also offers Work study, graduate assistants, research assistants where students work around 20 hours per week. Disney Professional, Chegg, LinkedIn, Coca-Cola, SmithSonian, Sable assent Coin Corporation, The Riley Foundation, The Washington Centers, etc offer internships to its students.
Find a Program
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
The University emphasizes intellectual development and lifelong learning through the integration of diverse pedagogies, applied and basic research, cultural and professional programs, public service and outreach while providing access to globally competitive academic and research programs. After securing a GPA of 9, I was required to submit a common application form.
Course Curriculum :
My MBA program is fully accredited by the ACBSP, the global accrediting body for quality business degree programs. The MBA degree from Alcorn State University will provide us with valuable skills that will add value and opportunity to your career. You will pursue advanced study via global business focused courses which will broaden your knowledge in accounting, finance, marketing, and management. The MBA Program curriculum exposes the student to discipline knowledge that is current and relevant.
In Alcorn's diverse living and learning environment, students develop the skills they need for lasting success in our global marketplace. Alcorn is a place where nurturing and guidance share the stage with independence and accountability. My GPA was 8. I had applied through an online application form.
Course Curriculum :
The accounting major offers a balanced, intellectually vibrant field of study. The baccalaureate program provides the requisite accounting skills for entry-level positions in the practice of public accounting, in industry, financial services, government and in business more generally. You will also be prepared for graduate study in accounting, and in fields related to business professions such as the law. More broadly, you will be prepared for success in a constantly evolving world economy.
My elder brother who was working in the USA had recommended me to pursue my master's from Alcorn State University. The admission process was totally online. I had filled an online application form for getting admission there. I had not paid any application fee.
Course Curriculum :
My course had delivered me problem solving, technical,critical thinking,datacollection and analytical skills.I had learned to plan,schedule and conduct research.I had studied about biochemistry,molecular biology,cell biology,genetic engineering, immunology,and environmental biotechnology.
Alcorn State University was always on my checklist. After completing high school I always wanted to study there because my brother is already studying there. He is the topper in his course. The whole faculty recognizes him very well. Apart from this, a handful of scholarships were also provided to him. Therefore I also decided to study the same course as him at the same university.
Course Curriculum :
The Department offers a curriculum that provides both depth and breadth of study in history. The objective is to provide majors in law program with the tools and training necessary to produce a professional quality. Various discussions of issues and research in the fields of law are also taken in the class.
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary