University of Tasmania: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1890, the University of Tasmania is located on an island in Melbourne, Australia operating through four campuses in Hobart, Launceston, Sydney, and Burnie. The fourth oldest university in Australia, it is a research-oriented university. It is among the top 2% of universities in the world known for research.
Over 29,000 students from different parts of the globe study here. Programs offered by the University of Tasmania include over 150 undergraduate and 130 postgraduate degrees. It is known for its research in Clinical Sciences, Analytical Chemistry, Geology, Oceanography, Ecology, Evolutionary Biology, Plant Biology, Forestry Sciences, Agriculture, and Land and Farm Management.
It offers on-campus housing services to international students studying in Australia in addition to housing assistance for finding off-campus apartments through its housing office. Besides, the university also offers financial aid in Work-Study options, scholarships, loans and grants, and placement assistance.
University of Tasmania Rankings
The University of Tasmania is one of the renowned universities in Australia. A snapshot of its rankings is given below:
- The University of Tasmania has been ranked at 287th by QS World University Rankings 2021.
- The Times Higher Education World University Rankings has ranked the university in the 301-350th group worldwide with 3rd in the impact rankings, Climate action 2021.
- According to the 2020 Academic Ranking of World Universities, the University of Tasmania has been ranked 284th worldwide.
|Application mode||Online on official website|
|Document submission mode||Online|
|Courses offered||Undergraduate and Postgraduate (Regular, online, diplomas and certificates)|
|Tuition fee||30k to 40k AUD per annum|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships and Work-Study|
|International Admission helpdesk||+61 3 6226 2999
University of Tasmania Campus
- The university has four campuses: Hobart, Launceston, Sydney, and the Cradle Coast Campus. All campuses except the Sydney campus are located on Tasmania Island. Every campus is surrounded by natural beauty such as the sea coast, snowfields, and the mountains.
- Each University of Tasmania campus has its own well-equipped accommodation facilities as well as Cafes, Restaurants, Gymnasium, Clubs & Societies.
- There are five faculty buildings offering various programs at undergraduate and graduate levels. There are numerous state-of-the-art marine research facilities in nearby coastal areas.
University of Tasmania Residence
- It provides on-campus/off-campus residential facilities through its Studio Apartments, Shared flats, and Rooms. The application for residence can be made online.
- Off-campus long term accommodations such as private shared flats and single rooms are available in nearby campus and are advertised on notice boards of the campus.
- For temporary accommodation, a number of hostels are available. Other expensive facilities such as hotels are also available.
University of Tasmania Programs
- The university offers around 250 undergraduate and graduate programs in various disciplines through its five faculties.
- With more than 150 undergraduate programs, it offers degrees like BBA, Bachelor of Engineering (Specialisation + Honours), Bachelor of Arts, Bachelors of Social Sciences, etc. in the fields of Agriculture, Architecture, Art, Music and Theatre, Business and Economics, Dementia Care, Health Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences, Law and Justice Studies, etc.
- The university offers about 130 Masters and Doctoral programs such as MBA, Masters of Architecture, Master of Maritime Engineering, Master of Science in Computer Engineering, Doctorate in Philosophy, etc. at its four campuses.
- Graduate Certificates and Diploma courses such as a Graduate Certificate in Maritime Engineering and a Diploma in Strategic Communication are also offered.
University of Tasmania Application Process
Applicants can apply for the University of Tasmania admissions online. Students first need to select the course from the website and sign up for that.
- Choose your program: Courses
- Application deadline: Admissions are offered on a rolling basis.It is recommended for international students to apply 3 months before semester start date.
- Semester 1 commences - February 24
- Semester 2 commences - July 13
- Application fee: NO FEE
- Supporting Documents and Eligibility:
- Application form
- Certified copy of certificates from high school/college/university
- CV/Resume (for PG)
- Official translation of transcripts if not in English
- Copy of passport
- Additional course-specific requirements.
- University of Tasmania English language programs completion OR
- English Language Proficiency Scores: TOEFL IBT - 72, IELTS - 6.0, PTE - 50
University of Tasmania Cost of Attendance
The cost of attendance varies with programs. The average range of tuition fee for undergraduate and graduate programs per year for international students is tabulated below -
|Undergraduate||29,950 AUD - 34,950 AUD|
|Graduate||30,950 AUD – 37,000 AUD|
|Weekly Accommodation rates on campus (In AUD)|
|Flat (2 or more bedroom)||240|
Average Cost of Living (excluding tuition and other academic costs) may go up to 20,000 AUD per annum. The cost of living is tabulated here:
|Expense||Cost (In AUD)||Term|
|Food and groceries||50-100||Weekly|
|Textbooks and study supplies||200-300||Annually|
University of Tasmania Financial Aid for International Students
- The Australian government offers international scholarships such as Full Tuition Fee waivers, Travel Scholarships, Establishment Allowances, and much more. These scholarships are offered by the Department of Foreign Affairs on the basis of merit and need.
- The University of Tasmania offers various scholarships such as Tasmanian International Scholarships (25 % Reduction on Tuition Fee ) and a 10% UTAS Tuition fee discount (Family and Postgraduate Alumni discounts).
- There are various department wise scholarships offered by the Australian Maritime College, College of Health and Medicine Scholarships, Law Scholarships, etc ranging from 15 % to 50 % reduction on tuition fee.
- Some of the scholarships require filling an International Student Application form.
- Work-study opportunities such as part-time jobs on-campus/off-campus are provided by the university career connect to support living and education expenses.
University of Tasmania Alumni
- University of Tasmania has a large alumni network with more than 90,000 alumni across 120 countries. It offers various benefits to its alumni such as Tuition Fee discounts for graduate programs, Free Event entries, Library Access, lifelong opportunities through email, etc.
- Some of the notable alumni are -
- Professor Greg Lehman
- Dr. Sukhwinder Singh Sohal
- Josh foley
- Cale Barrett
University of Tasmania Placements
- The university has a career development center called Career Connect where students are advised and prepared for real life working opportunities. Mock interviews, resume building workshops, and industrial training helps students to gear themselves up for the real world.
- Career connect provides part-time job, internships, and full-time job opportunities for students.
- The University of Tasmania offers placements and internship opportunities to students through their Corporate Internship Program called the Work Integrated Learning (WIL), wherein students are allowed to undertake placement opportunities with organizations.
- The program also provides students internship options to directly apply their learnings in real-world and practical fields.
- The applicants must have completed at least 12 or 8 units in their undergraduate and postgraduate programs, respectively.
- A good academic standing of a minimum 5.0 GPA for undergraduate and 6.0 GPA for postgraduate programs is required.
- Eligible students must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through email to the placement office.
- The University also provides working opportunities through its career development center called Career Connect. It enables students to gear up for the real world through resume building, interviews, and industrial training.
Tabulated below are the top Tasmania University Graduates & Alumni Salaries by job (Data from Emolument):
|Activity||Average Salary in USD|
|IT & Software Development||167,000|
|Sales & Business Development||119,000|
|Consulting, Accounting & Professional Services||49,000|
Tabulated below are the top Tasmania University Graduates & Alumni Salaries by degree (Data from Emolument):
|Degree||Average Salary in USD|
|Bachelor of Science||139,000|
|Bachelor of Arts||45,000|
Ques. How can I apply for programs at the University of Tasmania?
International Candidates must apply online through the applying to university section on the official university website.
Ques. What are the minimum English Language Proficiency Scores requirement to apply for programs at the University of Tasmania?
Applicants need to have a minimum of 6 on IELTS or 72 on TOEFL iBT or 50 on PTE Academic.
Ques. How many campuses does the University of Tasmania have?
The University of Tasmania has three campuses located in Tasmania. These are Hobart Campus in the South; Launceston Campus in the North; Burnie Campus in the North West. Besides, the University also has two campuses located in Sydney.
Ques. What are the modes of fee payment?
International students must pay full tuition fees online through VISA, MasterCard, money order, cash, wire transfer, or personal check.
Ques. Does the University of Tasmania offer on-campus housing?
Yes, the University of Tasmania offers on-campus housing to international students in their uni accommodation. It includes shared, self-contained apartments and communal living colleges, thereby presenting each student a range of options. The University also offers a range of apartments under the National Rental Affordability Scheme that renders students close to university campuses, inner-city, and beaches available at budget-friendly rates.
Ques. What are the amenities offered for on-campus housing?
The University of Tasmania offers on-campus housing for all international students. It includes varied amenities, including a fully refundable deposit; budget-friendly housing under the National Rental Affordability Scheme; a range of community and events participation; 24 x 7 security and access-controlled rooms; meals and dining options
Ques. How can I apply for accommodation at the University Campus?
Applicants must apply for accommodation online by registering themselves and creating an account. Accommodation options include short stays, group bookings, conferences, and casual bookings.
Ques. Are resumes and personal statements compulsory for admissions?
Yes, a resume and personal statement are necessary for admission to graduate programs.
Ques. Are Standardized Scores of SAT or ACT necessary for undergraduate admissions?
No. The University of Tasmania does not require standardized Scores of SAT or ACT.
FIND A PROGRAM
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #351 - #400
RANKED #401 - #500
RANKED #401 - #500
RANKED #401 - #500
View More >>
QS World University
I opted for this college because, I got accepted here out of the three colleges I had applied. I also came to know about this college through study abroad sites like collegedunia where all the necessary information was given. For the application process I paid $80 and applied through the college portal.
Course Curriculum :
I would say it was satisfactory and all the topics that were taught was relevant when I started working.
My College is a modern and dynamic educational institution providing high-quality programs in a congenial environment that promotes learning and motivates us to achieve excellence in our studies. My GPA of 6 helped me to get admitted here by applying through an application form.
Course Curriculum :
The Master of Finance is grounded in a philosophy based on two major premises: to facilitate the acquisition of life-long financial knowledge and skills through sharing and building on the diverse experiences of all stakeholders within the course and to foster empowerment and personal responsibility by encouraging me to challenge the conventional paradigms in finance.
Since I chose accounting as my major in secondary, I decided to move on with my career and wnated to explore more about accounting in real life. I choose this university as Tasmania itself is quiet compared to sydney or other states. It also provides different range of courses.
Course Curriculum :
In terms of industrial exposure not quite familiar with it although I have got a chance to attend “The Big five business event “ and have got the opportunity to meet out people and know about what they offer to students
I was always passionate about learning Engineering courses and studying in Australia. I researched about best colleges for the same and applied in 5-6 colleges. Since the University of Tasmania is one of the best universities I chose to study in it. I applied for the course through the online application and paid an amount for the application fee.
Course Curriculum :
Here I am offered an inter-disciplinary project experience, industry connections, a commitment to a breadth of knowledge, and significant hands-on learning. The curriculum also includes the optimization of alternative energy systems, such as hydro and wind-power systems, high-speed catamarans, and biomedical implants.
I know this uni Through an agent. I don't know anything about the admission process because the agent helped me to apply and submit all the supporting documents for me. I only applied to 1 university and I got the offer. The only reason I chose this uni is because it offers the highest scholarship in Australia.
Course Curriculum :
- Bus Station
- Super Market
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary