Laval University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
University of Laval, the first French- Language university in North America is currently a renowned higher education institute of Canada. It enrolled more than 45,000 students in fall 2020, with over 5,600 students from about 120 countries seeking to study in Canada.
Admissions at Laval University are available in the 3 intakes of Fall, winter and spring. The institute observes a moderate acceptance rate and offers great placement opportunities for its graduates who end up earning nearly 65,000 CAD.
Students can study in any field they want as this university offers 500 programs with more than 60 departments and 17 faculties with over 1,000 online courses. Laval University ranked #7 in Canada for research with over 300 centers, institutes, groups with 400 million dollars funding for research. There are nearly 40 buildings on the campus, more than 2,300 rooms are available for students.
Laval University Rankings
Rankings for Laval University in 2021 are-
|#251-300||World University rankings||Times Higher Education|
|#420||World university rankings||QS global world university rankings|
|#361||Best global universities||US News and World Report|
|Type of University||Public|
|The estimated cost of attendance for one academic year, Undergraduate Students||CAD 33,822 - CAD 35,513|
|The estimated cost of attendance for one academic year, Graduate Students||CAD 16,324 - CAD 28,225|
|Number of Faculties||17|
|Number of Departments||60|
|Test Scores Accepted||TOEIC and TFI|
Laval University Campus and Accommodation
- Laval University incorporates a 1.8 km square university campus with 64% of which is green space and wooded areas
- There are almost 40 campus buildings linked by a network of over 5 km of pedestrian tunnels
- UL provides a library, PEPS which is a sports complex, TELUS which is a university stadium for sports
- The campus is fitted with a cutting edge technology to provide students also the benefits. The campus has an integrated science training complex which encourages students in study of anatomy.
- The campus also houses the Montmorency Forest which acts as an open-air laboratory and also is the world's largest teaching and research forest. Roger Van dEN Hende Botanical garden is where the students study the horticulture sciences with nearly 4,000 species of plants across the globe
- The business administration at UL has provided for 2 trading rooms which have financial data and workstation and latest software programs.
- Since research forms a core of the institute; interactive petrography laboratory, along with a supercomputer, LANTISS, Center of optics, photonics and lasers, archaeology laboratories and high-performance greenhouse complex are a few campus features.
- The dentistry building is a class apart as it replicates a real life dental clinic.
- MonPortail is also available to the students to facilitate online learning as it provides centralised access to course websites and several assistance tools
- The campus life is again an additional gain because of 230 student and extracurricular associations at UL, 15 sports clubs and so much more.
Laval University Housing facilities/Residence
- The college provides residence to the students in 4 pavilions - Ernest- Lemieux Pavilion, H Biermans L. Moraud Pavilion, Agathe Lacerte Pavilion, Alphonse-Marie-Parent pavilion are the options available
- The rooms provided to the students include- single bed, mattress, Work table, chair, bookcase, drawers, wardrobe, Bookshelf, Telephone device.
- Students can add fridge, oven, toaster, coffee maker on rent
- 368 CAD per month is the rate of one spot.
- Each pavilion includes a common kitchen with electric cookers, toaster, ovens, terraces and outdoor facilities, a living room, game room with a pool table and TV, study rooms, music room, visual arts room.
- The residence services take care of the students by providing them conferences, hospitality activities, awareness kiosks, physical activities, thematic workshops and cultural events.
Laval University Courses
- The university has over 60 departments, schools which offer 500 programs in various courses for international students at undergraduate and graduate level.
- The university provides various modes of study; distance learning, postdoctoral studies, University for seniors, non-degree studies, summer schools, continuing education, language courses.
- Every year the college introduces new programs like this fall 2020; Certificate on Feminism, Bachelor in sustainable development, microprogram in Biblical studies these are all new programs, so the choice offered to students is extremely varied.
- The university is the only one in Quebec to offer certain programs in science, they also provide the DEC-BAC and gateways which are agreements concluded between college establishments and UL to allow the students to have courses in yoru technical college program recognised as a part of the bachelor’s degree.
- The training and learning at UL are all sustainable development oriented, students can choose one of the 5 study profiles offered at Laval University; sustainable development, distinction, entrepreneurial, international and research.
- UL also ensures that more than 90% of undergrad programs include compulsory or optional internships, international exchange opportunities are also available as UL tie’s up with 560 higher education establishments across 75 countries.
Laval University Application Process
International students seeking admissions at the University can follow the below-mentioned admission details:
How to apply?
Application fee: 89 CAD
Basic Admission Requirements
- Work/life experience
- Letter of interest
- Research project proposal.
- Copy of transcripts from your university studies or additional studies undertaken after completing your pre-university education.
- Copy of diplomas or degree certificates, once awarded, or official transcripts showing the name of the diploma received.
- 3 copies of the Report on the Applicant(compulsory for doctoral applicants but course-specific for masters applicants)
- Proof of French language proficiency or English proficiency for English courses
Undergraduate Admission requirements
- Hold a diploma which attests the 13 years of education
- A few courses require a pre-requisite qualifying course with a particular amount of credits.
Masters admission requirements
- Hold an undergraduate degree which is deemed equivalent by the admissions committee
- Program specific requirements
Country specific requirements
- UL gives a detailed list of education equivalent for requirements
- Students applying for undergraduate need 12 years of education- Higher Secondary school certificate or All India senior school certificate, India school certificate Pre- University Certificate
- For graduate programs, 15-17.5 years of education is minimum required along with Bachelors or Honors degree
Note: Students can contact the Registrar's office at Pavillon Jean-Charles-Bonenfant, 2345, allée des Bibliothèques, Bureau 2440 Université Laval. Québec (Québec) G1V 0A6, Québec Area- 418 656-3080.
Laval University Cost of Attendance
For all the prospective candidates hoping to enroll at the institute in the upcoming sessional year, an estimated cost of living in Canada has been tabulated below.
|Fees||Category 1||Category 2||Category 3|
|1 academic year (30 credits)||21,332 CAD||19,592 CAD||22, 738 CAD|
|Health and hospital insurance||900/year CAD||900/year CAD||900/year CAD|
|Application fee||89 CAD||89 CAD||89 CAD|
|Quebec Acceptance Certificate||116 CAD||116 CAD||116 CAD|
|Study permit for Canada||150 CAD||150 CAD||150 CAD|
|Housing and Food||8,500 CAD||8,500 CAD||8,500 CAD|
|Academic and personal expenses||3,700 CAD||3,700 CAD||3,700 CAD|
|Estimated total for 1 years||34,788 CAD||33,048 CAD||36,194 CAD|
Note: Category 1: Programs in dentistry, medicine, non-medical health specialties, nursing, pharmacy, architecture and environmental design, agriculture, education, forestry and geodesics, fine arts, and film and photography. Category 2: Programs in humanities and social sciences, psychology, and arts. Category 3: Programs in pure sciences, mathematics, engineering, computer science, business administration, and law.
Laval University Scholarships/Financial Aid
- At the institute, students can access various forms of financial assistance options like - academic and leadership scholarships, international mobility scholarships, paid internships, work-study opportunities and government financial assistance programs.
- Scholarships in Canada for international students are not only merit-based but also depend on admission, excellence, financial situation etc. Over 3000 scholarships are offered each year.
- Merit Scholarship Programs- Quebec Govt offers merit scholarships to international students- PhD Students- 20,000 CAD to 25,000 CAD per year, Postdoctoral- 35,000 CAD and 3,000 CAD for short term research.
- Merit Scholarship Programs (Federal Government Funded): Funded by the Canadian federal government, this research grant carries a value of 50,000 CAD for Ph.D. studies and 70,000 CAD for postdoctoral studies.
- The research directors funds also offers financial support to students
- UL provides a portal for students to look for a scholarship through their scholarship directory, mostly scholarships are for students completed one year at the college.
- The Graduate Studies Awards- Every year, UL awards 4.6 CAD million as an incentive to success in a master or Ph.D. program, from admission to graduation.
Laval University Alumni Network
Laval University alumni benefits include:
- Access to Fondation de l'Université Laval: a social and philanthropic movement.
- Unique access to be part of 50 Laval University alumni clubs
- Across six continents, alumni can have access to 5 alumni networks
- Access to information about homecoming events, career services, and scholarship benefits
The university has a list of notable alumni like; Louis St. Laurent (12th Prime Minister of Canada), Niklaus Wirth (Designer of programming languages), Charles Fitzpatrick (Fifth Chief Justice of Canada), Brian Mulroney (18th Prime Minister of Canada), Jacques-Edouard Alexis (9th Prime Minister of Haiti), Gaston Miron (Renowned Author), Edith Butler (Famous Singer), Marcel Aubut (President of Canadian Olympic Committee), Manon Brouillette (CEO of Videotron), and Ed Millaire (Professional Hockey player).
Laval University Placements
Placement service at UL provides for great career services for students. The website has a section where all the job and internship openings are constantly updated. The services also provide students with counsellor appointments.
Webfolio,Online CV, Employer bank are a few innovative tools which the cell uses. Several training drives are also organised at the college along with networking opportunities. The average salary of Laval University graduates in financial services is 173,330 CAD (123,000 USD) according to emolument. According to PayScale,garadyres of Laval University end up grabbing some of the high-paying jobs in Canada with a starting salary of around 65,000 CAD.
Graduate salaries per year according to the job are given in CAD-
|Software Developer||CAD 59,000|
|Software Engineer||CAD 61,000|
|Project Manager||CAD 67,000|
|Human Resources Coordinator||CAD 51,000|
|Human Resources Advisor||CAD 47,000|
Ques. How long should I expect before receiving a response to my request from Laval University?
Ans. Allow 4 to 8 weeks after the date of receipt of the required documents in the file for the processing of your admission application at Laval University.
Ques. I am a foreign student, could I work in Quebec during my studies at Laval University?
Ans. Paid work while studying is permitted under certain conditions at Laval University. Thus, a foreign student can work up to 20 hours per week on the university campus or off campus upon arrival.
Ques. Does the university provide courses in English?
Ans. Yes. The university is a French-language University but some of the faculties of the university offer courses in the English language.
Ques. What are the requirements for Laval University admission?
Ans. Laval University admission requirements are mainly based on the academic performance of the applicant at his/her previous level of studies. A minimum diploma and French proficiency are needed to apply to the university.
Ques. Is Laval University ranked globally?
Ans. Yes, the university is one of the top-ranked universities. The global rank is #420 in QS global world university rankings this year.
Ques. What is the acceptance rate of Laval University?
Ans. The estimated acceptance rate of the university is 59%. Grades of high school are the main criteria to get accepted at the university. As well as proficiency in French is also required.
Ques. What are the payment options for the application fees?
Ans. The university recommends applicants to pay using a MasterCard credit card or visa credit card What is the estimated cost of attendance for undergraduate programs at Laval University?
Ques. How can I check the application status?
Ans. Once you submit your application you'll receive an email sent by the Registrar's office where information to check application status will be included. There you can check your application status and upload any other required documents.
Ques. What are the application deadlines for international students?
Ans. The regular admission deadline for the fall semester is February 1, for winter the deadline is September 15 and for summer the deadline is January 15.
Ques. Does the university provide financial aid to international students?
Ans. Yes. The university has a tuition fee exemption program for undergraduate and graduate students and they offer some scholarships mainly to graduate students.
Ques. Can I work on campus while studying?
Ans. Yes. If you have a study permit and are registered as a full-time student, you can work on campus.
Ques. Do I need a study permit for studying at Laval University?
Ans. Yes. If the study period is over 6 months you need to obtain a study visa and a Quebec Acceptance Certificate.
Find a Program
Times Higher Education
Ranked #251 - #300
Ranked #301 - #400
Ranked #301 - #400
Ranked #401 - #500
Computer Science (International)
Ranked #301 - #400
View More >>
QS World University
after the completion of my 10+2 I applied for this college.I came to know about this college from facebook as my seniors were also there studying.I applied through the dedicated online college portal of this college and the application fee I paid was $100.
Course Curriculum :
faculty took full care of students so that we can overcome all the hurdles in the journey of completion of graduation,new practical lessons were given so that we could learn new skills.
New ideas and excellence are the core values of Université Laval, and I got impressed by it and I also read the student reviews of the university and I dicovered that, they have a very career-oriented curriculum of the program. My GPA was 7.1 and I had to submit an online application form which cost me $90.
Course Curriculum :
The MSc in Information Technology Management trains hybrid specialists from the business and IT worlds. They are team leaders capable, within an organization, of analyzing technological needs, managing knowledge, establishing digital strategies, planning the implementation of innovative solutions, and supporting the senior management in achieving its objectives.
I recieved great feedback and reviews of this university from people around and I decided to join it for my studies. Also, the curriculum of the program that I wanted to pursue was avery great here. My GPA was 7. I had to submit an online application form costing around $150.
Course Curriculum :
The discipline of finance has experienced a spectacular expansion in recent years: development of derivative securities markets and management techniques based on these new instruments, the discovery of emerging markets, the institutionalization of savings, etc. Manufacturing and financial companies must take up new challenges linked to the globalization of trade, the risk of international operations, and the proliferation of forms of financial securities.
Laval is one of the best schools in my province, it has a great campus. Quebec is also a great city to live in, very safe and friendly. The school offers a lot of different programs and has very good teachers.
Course Curriculum :
We are a very small program so there is not a lot of classes offered each semester. Everything I have chosen to study was very interesting. The curriculum has been revised when I started the program, so it now fits all of our teacher's fields of study. They all offer a great variety of classes so it easy to specialize in the subject that interests you the most.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary