Dr. S. R. Chandrasekhar Institute of Speech and Hearing was founded in the year in 1977 to providing services to persons with communicative disabilities, such as– patients with hearing impairment, voice disorders, stuttering, cleft lip, cerebral palsy, mental retardation, learning disability, autism spectrum disorders, and post-stroke communication disorders
- In 1987, the college started one year Post Graduate Diploma in Education of the Deaf
- In 1991, undergraduate D. Ed [Hearing Impaired] one year course in Kannada and English medium
- The college received State Award for the best Institution in 1994
- In 2004, the college awarded ‘Excellence in Achievement’ by Rehabilitation Council of India and Chanakya Award’ for the Best NGO in India by the Public Relations Council of India in 2008
- The college certified 9001:2000 by Perry Johnson Registrars, Inc, USA in 2009
- The Institute building has an area of 30,550 Sq ft, is located on Hennur Road in Kariyanapalya which is 15 Km away from Central Railway Station, 5 KM from Cantonment Railway Station and 15 KM away from Airport, and within a distance of 2 KM from the Outer Ring Road (Hennur-Banaswadi)
- Institute has well ventilated classrooms and auditorium provided with modern teaching aids, such as overhead projectors in each classroom, LCD Projectors etc.
The Institute has conducted several workshops and conferences like Talk on dysphagia and its management, Faculty improvement programme, Seminar on Parent/Caregiver Implemented Intervention: An Introduction to the Hanen Approach by Hanen Center in collaboration with FiVE, National workshop on Noise measurement and conservation of hearing in industrial worker.
The college has well-equipped library with 2469 Books, 1000 Bound Volumes and 5 National & 14 International Journals.