The Indira Gandhi Institute of Technology (IGIT), Sarang was established in 1982 and was managed by the Govt. of Orissa in the name of Orissa College of Engineering (OCE). In 1987 it was renamed as IGIT, Sarang and the management was transferred to an Autonomous Society.
- The Institute offers Under Graduate, Post Graduate and diploma courses in some technical disciplines.
- The Institute is fully residential with an integrated campus covering 179 acres of land, situated nearby Brahmani River. In addition to this 200 acres land has been allocated in front of the Institute for its further expansion.
- This is the first Govt. Engineering college of Orissa to have accreditation from NBA because of its academic excellence and It is affiliated to Biju Patnaik University of Technology(BPUT) and State Council for Technical Education & Vocational Training(SCTE & VT).
- The institute is located near industrial belt of Talcher. In order to provide complete exposure to industrial life, the students are taken to nearby industrial organisations such as NALCO, N.T.P.C./T.T.P.S., M.C.L., N.T.P.C., Rengali Dam Project, Samal Barrage, Heavy Water Project, Bhusan Steel & Strips etc.
- Campus selection of students are being conducted regularly by reputed firms like INFOSYS, Tata Consultancy Services, Larsen & Turbo Ltd. Etc.
Academic Overview: Institute offers four years undergraduate engineering programs in various disciplines. A three years Master in Computer Application program, Postgraduate courses in engineering, regular(2 years) and part time (2 and half years) and three years diploma courses in some engineering disciplines.
The institute has following departments-
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics & TC Engineering
- Humanities and Basic Science
- Computer Science and Application
- Metallurgical Engineering
Placement Description- IIGT, Sarang provides their students with the best academic facilities and in response to that the placement program in the campus witnesses visit of some reputed firms like Infosys, TCS, Patni Computers, Haldia Petrochemicals Ltd., Larsen and Turbo Ltd. etc. The placement process is organized by Training and Placement cell of the college.
The placements details of 2012-13 batch is tabulated below-
Number of students placed
Package (in lakhs ) per Annum
Tata Consultancy Services Ltd
Paradeep Phosphate Ltd
Jindal Steel & Power
Extracurricular: There are various events and activities organized by students of the institute. Some notable activities are following-
- NCC- Established in 2003, National Cadet Core has intake capacity for 50 cadets. Students have achieved B & C certificates and 1st position in discipline.
- Society for Physical Education and Recreation (SPER) - It is a key avenue for extracurricular activities of the students. The Society is well run by the nominated student Secretaries and representatives under the supervision of associated faculty members and a Physical Training Officer.
- Publication- The students are also indulged in publication of Institute’s annual magazine “Technoquest” and the Souvenir of Final year students "Memoirs".
Facilities: Institute provides all requisite facilities to the students. Some of them are tabulated below-
The institute has central infrastructure facilities like academic blocks for each department, Central Computer Centre, Central Workshop, Knowledge Centre, student hostels inside the campus.
The Institute library has a valuable collection of about 27,000 text & reference books, Hand books I.S. codes. About 50 journals are being subscribed to Institute Library.
The institute encompasses a sprawling playground (Dr. M. P. Mishra memorial stadium) with basketball, volleyball and badminton courts.
There is a workshop under administrative and financial control of Mechanical Engineering department. It is well equipped with all types of machines and tools in order to give practical training to both degree and diploma students.
SBI (Core Bank facilities), Guest house, Hospital, Post Office, Canteen, Students and Employees Co-operative Consumer stores, different clubs, Telephone Exchange, Mobile tower and a School up to High School level.
Festivals/Events: There is a cultural association established in the institute which plays a pivotal role in exploring the multidimensional talents of the students and in shaping their personality. The Association is run by nominated student secretaries and representatives under the supervision of faculty members.
The cultural Association remains busy throughout the year in several activities such as Freshers’ welcome, invited talks by luminaries, annual dramatic and literary competitions and programs. The main cultural events of college are –
- HELIOUS-the spring fest.
Ranking: IGIT Sarang was the only one in the 25 government colleges in Orissa that are eligible to submit an Institutional Development Proposal.
Scholarship: The students depending on their merit can avail scholarships and stipends during their study in the Institute. Brief details of such scholarships are given below-
- National scholarship of Government of India awarded by the Government of Orissa will continue during the study period in the Institute
- National loan scholarship is awarded by the Government of Odisha to the deserving student
- Post-matric scholarship is awarded by the Harijan Tribal Welfare Department, Government of Odisha to the S.C. and S.T. student during the study period
- Institution scholarship is awarded by the Institute to the best student of each branch of degree & MCA
- National scholarship to the children of primary/secondary school teachers is awarded by the Government of Odisha
- Free studentship will be allowed exempting tuition fees to some student. Only 2nd, 3rd & 4th year B.Tech. students limited to 50% of the total strength.