The Government College of Engineering popularly known as GCE Keonjhar is a state government-run higher educational institute and located in beauties of rich greenish foothills of mountain of district Keonjhar , Odisha. It was established in 1995 having Mining Engineering as the only branch and subsequently other branches were added to it. It is affiliated to Biju Patnaik University of Technology [BPUT]. GCE is ranked among the top 10 Engineering Colleges in Odisha.
At present, it offers B.Tech in 7 different specializations to which admission is granted through JEE Mains. For lateral entry students are admitted through OJEE. Spread over an area of 43 acres, the college has all the necessary facilities such as sports facilities, gym, library, computer facilities, hostels, transportation, etc. Many well reputed companies such as Accenture, Essel Mining, Runguta Mines, Mesco, Crompton Greaves visit the college each year for placements.
GCE Keonjhar Highlights
|College Name||Government College of Engineering, Keonjahr|
|Also known as||GCE Keonjhar|
|Establishment year I Type||1995 I Government|
|Affiliated to||BPUT, Rourkela|
|Approved/ Accredited By||All India Council of Technical Education [AICTE]|
|Courses Offered||B.E./ B.Tech|
|Entrance exams||JEE Mains, OJEE|
|Facilities offered||Sports facilities, Library, Gym, Canteen, etc.|
|Campus area||45 acres|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Accenture, Essel Mining, Runguta Mines, Mesco, Crompton Greaves|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Mode|
GCE Keonjhar Courses
The college offers a four year long undergraduate B.Tech. program in 7 branches of engineering.
|Course||Specialization||Eligibility Criteria||Intake Capacity||Duration|
|Civil Engineering||Candidates must have passed 10+2 with
Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects
|Comp. Science and Engineering||60|
|Metallurgical and Material Engineering||60|
Read more: GCE Keonjhar Courses & Fees
GCE Keonjhar Admission
The admission procedure for Government College of Engineering , Keonjhar is as per Biju Patnaik University of Technology, Odisha (BPUT) norms and is strictly governed by Odisha Joint Entrance Examination (OJEE).
Students who are seeking to take admission in the 4 year B.Tech. program from GCE, Keonjhar must have to qualify JEE Mains with good rank . There is provision for lateral entry also(10% of sanctioned seats). So, students who have done diploma course and want to take lateral entry in third semester then they have to qualify Odisha Joint Entrance Examination (OJEE).
The application form of OJEE can be filled up in online mode only. The procedure are as follow-
- First go through the official website of OJEE (https://ojee.nic.in).
- Visit the section for the application process.
- Now fill up all the required details asked in the application form.
- Next, upload the scanned copy of passport size photo, signature and thumb impression.
- After filling the application form ,pay the application fee in online mode or offline mode according to your convenience.
- Do not forget to take a printout of the Confirmation Page of the application form and proof of fee payment for future references.
The selection procedure of the students and seat allotment in different branches are performed after the counseling process, based on the marks/ rank scored in O-JEE.
NRI candidates, who are seeking to pursue B.Tech. from GCE, Keonjhar are eligible for direct admission.
Read more: GCE Keonjhar Admissions
GCE Keonjhar Facilities
The facilities provided by GCE, Keonjhar are as follows:
- Sports Facilities: The college provides games & sports facilities to the interested students. GCE has an athletic society which conducts all types of sports activities. The college hosts one tournament every year named as “Engineering Cup '' in cricket. It has fields for Badminton, Basketball, etc.
- Library: The college has a central library having an adequate collection of books and study materials. The total number of Book titles and Book volume are 720 and 22,817 respectively.
- Computer Facility: The College provides computer facility to the students with high speed broadband facility through optical fiber.
- Hostels: The college provides hostel facility to the students and the room allotments are done as per JEE ranks for fresher students and as per CGPA of students of other years with priority to distant candidates. For boys, three hostels are namely and for girls two hostels with capacity of 68 seats and 300 seats are there.
- ATM: For smooth and easy transactions, GCE is providing to their students, a well furnished ATM facility of Central Bank of India (CBI) ,running from the last few years.
- Canteen: The college provides canteen facility to their students which is considered as the favorite hangout zone by students , having more than 400 capacity at a time.
- Gymnasium: The college has a well equipped open health club and open air gymnasium within the campus to keep the mind and body fit.
GCE Keonjhar Placement
The Training and Placement cell of GCE provides placement assistance to the students. Various personality development programs, group discussions, seminars,etc. are convened from time to time and sharpen the quality and skill of the students. Very often, in-house summer training programs are also organised by institutions on different advanced topics. Training programs in software fields, such as JAVA,.NET,ASP.NET,SQL-2000 and many others too are convened from time to time.
Every year, many students are recruited in reputed companies like Infosys, US. Technology, Accenture, Essel Mining, Runguta Mines, Mesco, Crompton Greaves, Ultra Tech Cement, Vedanta, PPL, OCL steel, IMFA, ACC Cement, MGM Steels, OCL Cements and many more.
Read more: GCE Keonjhar Placements
GCE Keonjhar Scholarships
The college offers scholarships to students on the basis of merit. Students can get information regarding the terms and conditions governing the award of scholarship from the Account section of the Institute. Some of the scholarships are:
- National scholarship of Government of India awarded by the Government of Orissa
- Post-matric scholarship awarded by the Harijan Tribal Welfare Department, Government of Orissa to the S.C. and S.T. students.
- Medhabruti Scholarship awarded by Government of Odisha.
- Pragati & Saksham scholarship awarded by Government of India.
Read more: GCE Keonjhar Scholarships
GCE Keonjhar Faculty
The faculty members of GCE are very much determined, well educated and highly qualified in their respective field of knowledge. The Principal of the college Dr. Trilochan Sahu handles the administration very well. The faculty is at different levels such as Head of the department, Associate professors, Assistant professors and technicians.
Read more: GCE Keonjhar Faculty
GCE Keonjhar FAQs
Ques. How well is GCE Keonjhar connected with nearby cities?
Ans. Centrally located with many cities & industries of importance, GCE Keonjhar is well connected in roads with Bhubaneswar (217 km), Cuttack(185 km), Rourkela (210 km), Sambalpur (230 km), mining hub Barbil (70 km), Jamshedpur (174 km), Kolkata (354 km). Nearest railway station is Kendujhargarh (5 km) & nearest airport is Bhubaneswar (240 km).
Ques. Is there any Scholarship provision available for students in GCE Keonjhar ?
Ans. Yes, depending on the merit, students can avail scholarships and stipends during their study in GCE Keonjhar.
Ques. What is the most popular thing about GCE Keonjhar and why should one go for this college?
Ans. GCE Keonjhar is one of the finest colleges of North Odisha for Mining Engineering and Mineral Engineering, run by Government of Odisha .The Alumni of this college are also supportive. So if you want to pursue your career in Mining or Mineral Engineering then the students should definitely look out for this college.
Ques. Does GCE Keonjhar offer the facility of Reservation of Seats?
Ans. Yes, at GCE Keonjhar some seats are reserved for SC/ ST candidates, Diploma holders in engineering, Candidate with Green Card Holder, woman candidates of the state and physically handicapped candidates.
Ques. To whom should the students contact to know about the GCE Keonjhar?
Ans. They can contact Asst. Prof. Soumya Ranjan Mallick. He is the PIC of the Alumni Association. Contact no. is 943-754-5820.