J.K. Institute of Applied physics and Technology, is situated in the Muir College Campus (Science Faculty) of the University of Allahabad. It is more older than any of the IITs.The institute was originated on 14th of April 1949 by Late Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru under J.K. Charitable Trust.
- The Computer Science course was started in the year 1986 through the DRDO project on the 'Man Power development in the area of computer Science'.
- In the achievements of students at JK institute, Saurabh Dutta and Vikram Vivek of B.Tech were placed in top 300 in TCS Software testing antagonism testimony with huge participation of 20000 teams.
- The alumni of the department are holding Professor's post in Europe, U.S.A and are associated with computer and communication establishments such as AlcaTel, Tech Mahindra, IBM, TCS, Philips, HAL, ITI, Railways, Bell Telephone, etc.
- Students also get opportunities to work with collections from other organizations in the form of summer internship training and team-work.
- Exuberance: A welcome ceremony for the new batch of the department is organised by the second year students in the month of September every year.
- Farewell: Institute felt a great sense of pride in the alumni and their remarkable achievements. March is the time to walk down the memory lane with the complete family of J.K. in the annual alumni meets.
- E Yantra robotics competition, a combined initiative of IIT-B and Ministry of HRD, provides a platform for students to demonstrate their knowledge and programming skills in embedded systems and robotics. Around 6000 students participated in the competition among those 130 teams were selected and given ‘Firebird V platform’ to work on 4 themes namely pot hole filler, room cleaner, Pick & placer and Line follower. Out of 130 teams 20 teams were selected for the finals. Among those 2 teams were from JK Institute of Applied Physics & Technology.
- JK ALD Automotors lead by Bhaskar emerged as winner in pothole filler theme in finals of e-yantra robotics cometition 2012. JK Iceminds Allahbad lead by Souham Biswas were the second runner up in finals of room cleaner.
- A group dancers led by Kulwinder Kaur won the 1st prize in the theme based group dance of the cultural fest of IIIT-A.
- Yash Tamta stood second at national level JAM competition held at MNNIT Allahabad.
- Siddhant Raman, student of 2012 ECE batch, secured AIR 18 in GATE 2012.
- Students Council: The activities is divided into Cultural, Games and Science & Technology. The President heads the student body, followed by secretaries which head the individual clubs.
- Academic Council: The basic motive behind the council is to ensure that there is a creative atmosphere which facilitates the coming up of both innovative solutions and ideas either for problems which stand as challenges or just in the spirit of science. It functions with English and Hindi Literary Societies & Quiz Clubs.
- Sports Council: Techno Cup and SWAT Cup are the major annual events of sports council.
- Techno Cup is a cricket tournament which is played almost for one week. In this event all classes of the department takes part including team of teachers. The eternal love among both students and staff can be sensed in the Techno Cup organized in the month of February for sports.
- SWAT (Soccer With Attitude): It is the football tournament that is organized in September. Besides this major event there are several events such as table tennis, badminton, volleyball, athletics and also some indoor games like chess, carom etc. It is 3-day event in September-October. It is a pleasure that girls participating with equal enthusiasm as boys. The vigorous practice sessions and challenging matches infuse zeal & passion, making the students physically fit and dynamic for various challenges ahead.
- IETE: The Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE) is India’s leading recognized professional society devoted to the advancement of Science and Technology of Electronics, Telecommunication, & IT. Founded in 1953 it serves more than 70,000 members through 57 centres spread all over India and abroad.
- IEEE Allahabad Chapter: The IEEE Allahabad chapter was started to complement the burning scientific temperament of the department. The IEEE guest lectures series was a great success. The lectures delivered discussed how present engineers are solving the problems faced by industry such as in computers, power grids, Railway signalling system, 4G LTE etc.
- JK ROBOTIX: JK ROBOTIX is a student club that has been successfully running in the institute for the past 2 years. Started on a batch- level, the club currently comprises of more than hundred actively participating members from each and every batch of the institute.
- SEE: (Society of electronic engineers) is a society in the department comprising teachers and students who work for the welfare of students as well as organize various academic, sports, cultural events in the department. The society provides financial support to the poor students, honours the brilliant students through scholarships, provides fund to the students for organizing various activities in the department.
Cultural Council: It consists of a group of students devoted to the cause of maintaining the rich cultural scenario and motivating in taking part in various events organized in the Institute. Many clubs including Music Club, Dance Club, Fine Arts Club remain active throughout the year, organize workshops and competitions.
- Avirbhav: ‘Avirbhav: Fiesta for Renaissance’, the annual cultural & technical fest of the department. It is carnival for the incredible talent dwelling in the college. The 5- day fest is inaugurated with oriented marathon followed by various academic, sports, formal and informal events that finally end in a spectacular cultural eve.
Library: The institute has a rich library which provides resourceful environment for learning. Books are arranged according to Dewey decimal classification, periodicals are arranged in alphabetical order and also non-book collection comprises of foreign theses, standards, Institute theses, reprints, and micro-forms.
- 30000 books, thesis, technical journals, etc.
- The Library collection consists of over a lakh volumes, more than 1000 Current Periodical subscriptions including periodicals on Electronic media and 50 Gifted periodicals.
- Electronic Library having Optical Disks, AV material and HDD Data.
Auditorium: The institute has auditorium named after an eminent scientist of India and our founder Head of the Department Dr. S.N.Ghosh. The auditorium has a seating capacity of 200 people and is equipped with latest audio-visual equipment in an air conditioned environment.
Hostels: Hostel have gym, table-tennis hall, TV hall, sport ground, mess and LAN connection in every room with 5MBps.
- Shatabdi Boys Hostel
- Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Hostel
- Shatabdi Girls Hostel
- Kalpana Chawla Hostel
For experimentation on Assembly language programming, Networking, image processing and other areas about 300 computers are setup in campus through 10 Mbps link.