Government Polytechnic, Kanpur (GP Kanpur), a technical education institution and has been established in 1958. The college was approved by AICTE, New Delhi and affiliated to BTEUP, Lucknow.
The institution offers various diploma courses in Information Technology, Electronics Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and more, with an intake of 80 students in each.
Admission to diploma courses is offered based on 10th-grade / 12th-grade marks or via UPJEE-Polytechnic/Diploma Entrance Test by BTEUP.
Government Polytechnic College Highlights
Following are the highlights of Government Polytechnic College:
|Approved by||AICTE, UPBTE|
|Set By||Govt of UP|
|Entrance Exam||UPJEE-Polytechnic/ BTEUP Polytechnic Exam|
|Courses Offered||Diplomas in Information Technology, Electronics Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering (Production & Automobile), Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Instrumentation And Control Engineering, Paint Technology, Textile Technology, Textile Chemistry|
|Admission Criteria||i) Based on 10th-grade marks ii) Based on UPJEE-Polytechnic and BTEUP-Polytechnic grade card/merit list|
|Campus Area||51 acres|
|Facilities Available||Library, Laboratories, Hostel, NCC, STS Workshop|
Government Polytechnic College Courses
GP Kanpur offers diplomas in various courses overall with multiple methods of entry such as 10th-grade marks and UPJEE-Polytechnic/ BTEUP- Diploma Test. The following table mentions all the diploma courses along with other key features which are required for admission.
|Diploma||Duration: 3 years.
Specialization: Information Technology, Electronics Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering (Production & Automobile), Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Instrumentation And Control Engineering, Paint Technology, Textile Technology, Textile Chemistry
Eligibility: Minimum of 35% aggregate marks in 10th standard or BTEUP Exam
Government Polytechnic College Admissions
Admission to diploma courses if offered in two ways:
- i) 10/10+10+2 followed by UPJEE
- ii) Lateral entry via BTEUP Diploma Entrance Exam
How to Apply?
Admission application is made entirely online, and any recent news & developments can be checked at the college’s website.
For Regular Entry
There are 60 seats available under this category and admission is offered after qualifying the UPJEE-Polytechnic Exam.
- The minimum eligibility to apply for admission and the entrance exam is minimum 35% marks in 10th-grade (33% for SC/ST/Kashmiri Migrants).
- Candidates need to apply to the UPJEE-Polytechnic Exam at the website.
- Based on marks obtained in UPJEE-Polytechnic, candidates will be allotted seats during the counselling procedure.
- Based on the merit list, choices filled & reservation criteria; a college seat is allotted.
- Manual verification of the required documents will be done on the spot at the college.
For Lateral Entry
There are 12 seats available in specific diploma courses like Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering (Production & Automobile), Information Technology and Textile Technology.
- The entrance via the lateral entry is based on the BTEUP Diploma Entrance Exam.
- Minimum eligibility is 10+2 pass.
- Candidates need to apply for the BTEUP exam at the website.
- Admission is offered based on the marks obtained in the exam and the merit list/
- Choices can be filled during the counselling procedure, and seats are allotted based on merit list & preferences.
- Document verification is done manually at allotted college.
- Original 10th Mark sheet and Certificate
- Passport Size Photographs
- Scanned Signature
- DOB Certificate
- Caste Certificate
- ID Proof (Aadhar Card, Voter ID Card, Equivalent Document)
Government Polytechnic College Placements
The placements are handled by GPK Industry Interface Cell. Some of the major companies that have recruited are Tata Motors, Thought Works, HCL, Reliance Communications, Mahindra and Ultratech Cement. The following table depicted the placement scenario as of 2018-19 & 2017-18 in various diploma courses out of 70 seats.
|Field||% of placements offers|
|Diploma in Chemical Engineering||18%||31%|
|Diploma in Civil Engineering||19%||44%|
|Diploma in Electrical Engineering||28%||53%|
|Diploma in Electronics Engineering||20%||40%|
|Diploma in Mechanical Automobile Engineering||93%||15%|
|Diploma in Mechanical Production Engineering||89%||32%|
|Diploma in Paint Technology||85%||4%|
|Diploma in Plastic and Mould Technology||33%||9%|
Government Polytechnic College Facilities
Some of the facilities offered by College to cater the needs of students as well as faculty members of the college:
- Library – It is a house of knowledge that straight away provides staff and students an huge variety of resources where teaching and learning flourished.
- Hostel – College provide in campus hostel facility well hygienic hostel separate accommodation.
- Well Equipped Laboratories – College has well – structured laboratories for students to learn and perform different experiments.
- Seminar Hall & Auditorium – College is facilitates with a seminar hall & auditorium for different programs , events , practice and performance . The college encourage students to participate in each and every activity.
- Sports Facilities – College also provide indoors and outdoors sports facilities like table tennis, chess, football, cricket and badminton etc.
- Cafeteria - College provide in campus canteen facility
Read more: Government Polytechnic College Reviews
Government Polytechnic College Faculty
GP Kanpur has experienced lecturers in each field who also undergo faculty training programs. Each department has HOD and other assistants helping in the workshops.
- There were around 13 professors in total.
- A minimum of 1 professor in each field.
Government Polytechnic College FAQs
Ques. What are the accommodation facilities available at Government Polytechnic, Kanpur?
Ques. What are the documents required during counselling at Government Polytechnic, Kanpur?
Ques. What are the placement opportunities in Government Polytechnic, Kanpur?
Ques. What are the total fees for the entire course duration in Government Polytechnic, Kanpur?
|Fee Head||Regular Fee||Hostel Fee|
|Tuition Fee||INR 8000/-||-|
|Hostel Fee||-||INR 800/-|
|Caution Money||INR 200/-||INR 200/-|
|Electricity Charges||-||INR 800/-|
|Maintenance Fee||INR 500/-||INR 500/-|
|Exam Fee + Sessional Exam Fee||INR 770/-||-|
|Misc. Fees (Games, Annual Function, Magazine, Hobby Centre)||INR 620/-||-|
|ID Card Fee||INR 30/-||-|
|Admission Form & Registration||INR 20/-||-|
|Total||INR 10940/-||INR 2300/-|
Ques. Is the entrance exam compulsory for admission in Government Polytechnic, Kanpur?
Ans. Yes, passing the UPJEE- Polytechnic is necessary to apply for admission in GP Kanpur.
There are 12 seats available as a lateral entry but requires writing BTEUP Diploma Test.