Industrial and Management Engineering, IIT Kanpur- [IME IIT] Quick Updates
IIT Kanpur Quick Update
May 15: IIT Kanpur Incubated company developed automatic disinfectant chambers for public places.
The Department of Industrial and Management Engineering of IIT Kanpur also known as IME was set up in 1974. The department was one of the first in the country which was established to acknowledge the strength of merging management with training of the engineers.
- The Department is involved in a variety of activities which include industry consultancy, academic research, management development programmes and public sector research in addition to teaching.
Alumni: Over a period of nearly 40 years the department has produced alumni who are spread all over the world. Some of the noted alumni are:
- Ramana Kumar who works for Ernst & Young
- Lalan Prasad Gupta who is Senior Executive Assistant to Group CEO in Indorama Group, Bangkok
- Manzi Kohli who works in IBM Global
- Yashodhan Shevade who works in Lehman Brothers
Courses: The course curriculum comprises of state of the art techniques to design, manage, plan and implement integrated systems of men, capital information, technology and capital. The courses are designed so that engineers can be trained into complete managers. The courses provided are:
- Master of Technology which include financial, IT and quantitative courses whose applications can be found in Financial Engineering, Marketing Engineering and Production Management.
- Master of Business Administration with specialization in Innovation and entrepreneurship, Marketing, Operations, IT & Systems, Analytics and Finance.
- Ph.D. Programme
- Bachelor in Technology/ Bachelor of Science students become eligible for “Minor in Management” if they credit any 3 course from Department of Industrial and Management Engineering.
Placement statistics: MBA placements stats for 2014 batch
No. of PPOs
No. of offers
No. of recruiters
Facilities: The Department of Industrial Management and Engineering provides the students with modern amenities which meet the international standard. Some of the facilities provided are:
- System Optimization Laboratory
- Conference Room equipped with state of art presentation theatre
- State of the art lecture rooms and class rooms
- Video conferencing facilities
- Computer Lab
- Placement Cell
Library: The students of this department have access to the departmental library of Department of Industrial and Management Engineering and the central library.
- The departmental and the library jointly has large quantity of information in the form of journals, Magazines, CDs, Machine readable databases, periodicals, technical reports, online resources and books.
- The central library which is known as P.K. Kelkar library has nearly 3, 80,000 books on various topics of management and science. It has subscription to over 1500 journals and periodicals.
- The departmental library has subscription to major online databases like Infraline, Proquest, EMERALD, Prowess Capitaline, etc. and journals, in addition it is a part of INDEST consortium.
Computer Lab: The department has a separate lab facility which is available for the students round the clock.
- There are a total of 81 computers which include 19 computers dedicated for project work and 1 Compaq ML3S0G3 series server.
- There are two server machines which run MS Project Server 2000 and Windows 2000 server.
- The systems are well equipped with complicated software like simulation, financial modeling, statistical analysis, product life cycle management, process design and control, etc.
- The systems have installed in them genuine version of software like Alpha, SPSS 15.0, CRM, Arena 11.0, MS Visual Studio, Tally, SAP Educational Version
Placement Cell: Every department of IIT-K has a Department Placement Coordinator (DPC) who is responsible for the placement of the students. Some of the noted multinational companies visiting for placement are:
- APL Logistics
- Prabhandan: This is the annual management event.
- Finatics: which is the finance conclave
- Students also participate in Antaragni: the annual inter collegiate cultural festival of IIT Kanpur
- Techkriti: the annual science and technology festival of the institute
- Impression: the Post Graduate’s festival and Techkriti.
Scholarships: Financial aid is given to M.Tech and Ph.D. students. Rs. 8000/- month for assistantship to M.tech student . And for Ph.D. students Rs. 18000/-(for engineering) and Rs.16000/-( for science/social sciences) for two year. After that it will raised to Rs. 20000/- and 18000/- for another two years.