The Department of Industrial and Management Engineering of IIT Kanpur also known as IME was set up in 1974. The department was one of the first in the country which was established to acknowledge the strength of merging management with training of the engineers.
IME offers various undergraduate and postgraduate programs including M.Tech., MBA, along with Doctoral degrees.
Candidates are shortlisted for M.Tech based on their GATE scores followed by a Written Test and Personal Interview round.
Admission to the MBA course is done on the basis of the CAT score followed by a Group Discussion and personal interview round.
Candidates applying for the Ph.D. program should have a master’s degree in Management/Industrial engineering with at least 55% marks or a bachelor’s degree in engineering with at least 75% marks and a valid GATE score.
With regards to the placements, the institute witnessed an increase in the average CTC as well as the median CTC. The Average CTC for the Top 25% ranged at INR. 16.5 LPA.
IME IIT Kanpur Highlights
|Courses||MBA, M.Tech, Ph.D.|
|Mode of Registration||Online|
IME IIT Kanpur Rankings
The institute was ranked in the 16th position under the Management category by NIRF India Rankings 2020.
IME IIT Kanpur Courses
|MBA||Duration: 2 Years
Eligibility: Undergraduate degree with minimum aggregate of 65% in Class X, XII and qualifying degree.
|M.Tech.||Duration: 2 Years
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree in engineering or master’s degree in science with a minimum of 55% marks
|Ph.D.||Duration: 2-3 Years
Eligibility: Master’s degree in Management/Industrial engineering with a minimum of 55% marks or a bachelor’s degree in engineering with a minimum of 75% marks and a valid GATE score (or) a master’s degree in science/arts/commerce/CA with a minimum of 65% aggregate marks and a minimum 95 percentile in GATE
IME IIT Kanpur Admission
Admission to all the programs is granted on the basis of the candidate’s performance in the respective Entrance Exams.
MBA: Candidates will be shortlisted for the GD-PI round based on their CAT scores along with Class 10, Class 12 scores, qualifying degree marks and work experience.
M.Tech: Candidates are shortlisted for the WAT-PI round based on their GATE scores. Finally, candidates are selected on the basis of merit in GATE and PI round.
Note: There will be no written test/interview for the M.Tech. admission for the year 2020. The admission will be solely based on the GATE score.
Ph.D: Candidates are shortlisted for the WAT-PI round based on their academic record and work experience. Finally, candidates are selected on the basis of merit in the WAT and PI round.
How To Apply?
Candidates can apply for the programs through online mode only.
- Applicants need to register online by providing their personal details, submitting photographs along with all the required information.
- After submission of form online, candidates need to take a print out of their application form.
The application fee of INR 1600/- for the General and OBC applicants, INR 800/- for those belonging to SC/ST and Physically Deficient categories must be paid through demand draft payable to 'Registrar IIT Kanpur' payable at Kanpur.
Complete signed application form along with the demand draft must be then mailed to the IIT Kanpur campus-
Head, Industrial and Management Engineering,
Indian Institute of Technology,
Pin Code: 208016
Documents required at the time of WT/GD and PI round -
- Valid Gate Score card
- Valid CAT score card
- Xth and XIIth marksheets and certificates
- Letter of recommendations
- Reference letters
- Character certificate
- Work Experience letter (if any)
- Qualifying degree marksheets
- SC/ST/OBC certificate if applicable
Read more: IME IIT Kanpur Admission
IME IIT Kanpur Placements
The institute offers placements to the MBA, M.Tech. and Ph.D. candidates during its annual Recruit drive. The 2018-2020 placement drive witnessed a positive trend in the placement
Statistics as the average CTC as well as the median CTC saw a rise in this placement season.
The MBA students were offered profiles in domains such a s Analytics, Consulting, IT, Operations, Finance and Marketing.
The following table represent the placement statistics for the 2018-2020 MBA batch-
|Total Number of Offers||50|
|Total Number of Recruiters||31|
|Number of PPO/PPIs||06|
|YoY increment in CTC||15.8%|
|Highest CTC||INR. 20 LPA|
|Average CTC (Top 25%)||INR. 16.5 LPA|
|Average CTC (Top 50%)||INR. 15.11 LPA|
|Mean CTC||INR. 12.77 LPA|
|Median CTC||INR. 12 LPA|
In terms of Gender Diversity 89% of the total students were Male candidates and 11% were female candidates.
The batch of 2018-20 comprised students of strong academic background along with the diverse & vast work experience.
|Gender Diversity||Male: 89%|
|Work Experience||0-11 Months: 28%|
|12-23 Months: 40%|
|24-35 Months: 26%|
|>35 Months: 6%|
As per the data provided above, it is evident that the maximum number of students possessed a decent level (11-35 Months) of work experience.
Only 6% of the total students had above 35 Months of Experience.
Click here IME IIT Kanpur Placement
IME IIT Kanpur Scholarship
Financial aid is given to M.Tech and Ph.D. students. INR. 8000/- month for assistantship to M.tech students .
For Ph.D. students INR. 18000/-(for engineering) and INR.16000/-( for science/social sciences) for two year. After that it will be raised to INR. 20000/- and INR. 18000/- for another two years.
Read more: IME IIT Kanpur Scholarships
IME IIT Kanpur Facilities
Facilities: The Department of Industrial Management and Engineering provides the students with modern amenities which meet the international standard. Some of the facilities provided are:
- System Optimization Laboratory
- Conference Room equipped with state of art presentation theatre
- State of the art lecture rooms and class rooms
- Video conferencing facilities
- Computer Lab
- Placement Cell
Library: The students of this department have access to the departmental library of Department of Industrial and Management Engineering and the central library.
- The departmental and the library jointly has large quantity of information in the form of journals, Magazines, CDs, Machine readable databases, periodicals, technical reports, online resources and books.
- The central library which is known as P.K. Kelkar library has nearly 3, 80,000 books on various topics of management and science. It has subscription to over 1500 journals and periodicals.
- The departmental library has subscription to major online databases like Infraline, Proquest, EMERALD, Prowess Capitaline, etc. and journals, in addition it is a part of INDEST consortium.
Computer Lab: The department has a separate lab facility which is available for the students round the clock.
- There are a total of 81 computers which include 19 computers dedicated for project work and 1 Compaq ML3S0G3 series server.
- There are two server machines which run MS Project Server 2000 and Windows 2000 server.
- The systems are well equipped with complicated software like simulation, financial modeling, statistical analysis, product life cycle management, process design and control, etc.
- The systems have installed in them genuine version of software like Alpha, SPSS 15.0, CRM, Arena 11.0, MS Visual Studio, Tally, SAP Educational Version
Placement Cell: Every department of IIT-K has a Department Placement Coordinator (DPC) who is responsible for the placement of the students. Some of the noted multinational companies visiting for placement are:
- APL Logistics
- Prabandhan: This is the annual management event.
- Finatics: which is the finance conclave
- Students also participate in Antaragni: the annual inter collegiate cultural festival of IIT Kanpur
- Techkriti: the annual science and technology festival of the institute
- Impression: the Post Graduate’s festival and Techkriti.
Ques. How is the MBA Department of IIT Kanpur?
Ques. How are the placements for M.Tech Students in IIT Kanpur?
Ques. How is the life of an MBA Student in IIT Kanpur?
Ques.What should I know before joining M.Tech in IIT Kanpur?
Assignment. Tests, projects, term paper, Mid Sem and other marks are important. Students are expected to follow the rules, and perform well.
Ques. I want to do my Ph.D. at IME IIT Kanpur. How is the department?
Ques. What is the eligibility of Ph.D program at IME IIT Kanpur?
Ques. Which is better, an M.Tech in Power Engineering or an M.Tech in IME for IIT Kanpur?
In the M.Tech Power Engineering program, a total of 80% students got placed.The average package for Power Engineering and Control & Automation specializations will fall in the range of 5 - 7 LPA.
Ques. What is the NIRF 2020 ranking of IIT Kanpur MBA?
Ques. How many sears are there in IME M.Tech course and what is the eligibility?
Ques. What is the highest package of IIT Kanpur?