Sacred Heart College (SH College), Kochi was established in 1944 by the Carmelites of Mary Immaculate (CMI), a catholic religious order for men. The college is a premier institution of higher education affiliated to the Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala.
- The college aims at the fashioning of an enlightened society founded on a relentless pursuit of excellence and a secular outlook combined with a firm faith in God
- In 2000, the college was accredited by the National Accreditation and Assessment Council (NAAC) at the five star level and in 2007
- Reaccredited By NAAC at the A+ level
- The SH College provides 11 undergraduate and 10 postgraduate programs and a range of diploma and certificate programs
- It is a recognized study centre for the distance education programs of Indira Gandhi Open University (IGNOU), Bharathiyar University and the Central University of Pondicherry
The college has a vigorous research culture with six of its departments (Economics, Commerce, Botany, Chemistry, Physics, Zoology) being recognized research centres facilitating research leading to the award of Ph. D. by the MG University, Kottayam
- Over 400 research articles have been published in national and international research journals by its research departments
- 47 scholars are engaged in research in the college
- As many as 32 Ph. D degrees have been awarded through these departments in the last five years
The college has research/training collaboration with the following institutions/agencies:
- Ministry of Environment and Forest, Govt. of India
- Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur,
- National Centre for Mass Spectrometry, IICT, Hyderabad
- Spices Board, Kerala
- Hohenheim University, Germany on non-conventional energy research
Departments at Sacred Heart College :
- Department of Aquaculture
- Department of Botany
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Economics
- Department of English
- Department of Mathematics
- Women Cell (Swasti): The objective of the Women's cell is the overall development of the women students in the college through conscientisation of their responsibility in building the society; cultivating in them a deeper interest in the cultural heritage of our country; bringing out the best in them by providing opportunities in the form of discussions, seminars, symposia, exposure programmes, and taking up projects in related issues as well as developing leadership qualities in them.
- Internal Quality Assurance Cells (IQAC) to monitor the quality improvement initiatives of the institution
- Nature Club: is an association actively committed to the Ecological and Environmental issues and involved in activities to generate Nature awareness among students and public.
- Tourism club
- Magic club
- Computer club
- Health club
- Computerised resource centre with a collection of over 80,000 books and subscribes to 76 journals
- Seating capacity of around 120, and has a collection of over 10,000 books for reference
- The library is also equipped with advanced facilities such as RFID entry and CCTV monitoring
- National Merit Scholarship – NMS
- State Merit Scholarship
Those who have secured 50% and more marks can avail this scholarship. Income limit is given below:
Rs.625/- Per annum
- National Loan Scholarship
Those who have minimum 50% marks and with an annual family income below Rs. 25,000/- are eligible for this scholarship.
Amount of Scholarship
- Kerala State Govt. Scholarship
These Scholarships are for low income group students.
Rs. 625/- p/a
Rs. 12,000/- p/a
Rs. 750- p/a
- K.P.C.R. Scholarship
All students who come under the low income category as mentioned below can avail this scholarship.
Income Limit (per annum)
- University Merit Scholarship
All those who have secured 50% and more marks are eligible for this. This has no income limit.
Amount of Scholarship
Rs. 900/- p/a
Rs. 1200/- p/a
Those who have cleared National Talent Research Scheme Test and with an annual family income below Rs. 50,000/- are eligible for the Scholarship.