Established in 1983, Mahatma Gandhi University is a state university located in the Kottayam district of Kerala. The university have around 100 affiliated colleges under its jurisdiction spread over five districts in central Kerala. Also known as MG University or MGU, it is ranked among the top 50 universities in India.
MG University Departments and Schools
The university offers more than 300 academic programmes (Undergraduate, Postgraqduate, Research) in diverse fields such as Engineering, Management, Medical, Arts, Commerce, Journalism and many more.
The university operates through the following departments/ schools for imparting quality education to students from all over the country:
- School of Behavioural Science
- School of Bio-Science
- School of Chemical Science
- School of Computer Sciences
- School of Distance Education
- School of Environmental Science
- School of Gandhian Thought and Development Studies
- School of Indian Legal Thought
- School of International Relation & Politics
- School of Printing & Publishing
- School of Letters
- School of Pedagogical Sciences
- School of Physical Education & Sports Science
- School of Pure and applied physics
- School of Management & Business Studies
- School of Social Science
- School of Technology & Applied Sciences
- School of Tourism Studies
MG University Admissions
Admission to various UG, PG and Research programmes offered by the university are done on the basis of either candidate’s merit in the qualifying degree or their marks in the university entrance examination viz. CAT-MGU.
In case of UG Admissions, eligible candidates can apply through the official MG University website by clicking “UG-CAP 2016” link and following the instructions. Those seeking admission through merit/management quota/ sports quota/ can apply directly to the concerned institute. Final selection of the candidate is done on the basis of their marks in the qualifying degree merit.
In case of PG courses, candidates are shortlisted differently for different specializations. For certain specializations in BA and BSc, candidates are selected on the basis of qualifying degree merit while CAT-MGU is conducted for other specializations. Those who wish to apply can log on to “PG-CAP 2016” tab or “CAT-MGU” section for registering themselves to the respective programmes.
For Research courses viz. PhD and M.Phil, candidates must appear for the Written Aptitude Test (WAT), conducted by the university itself. Once selected, they can register by filling the application form and appear for the interview round. Final selection will be done by the university committee on the basis of candidate’s performance in WAT and interview. Candidates must submit the required fee through challan and attach the receipt along with the application form.
MG University Exam Time Table
Candidates can check the end semester examinations schedule from the “Exam Time Tables” link under the “Examinations” tab. The university has uploaded the following time tables for students:
- Time Table for Theory Examinations
- Time Table for Practicals
- Time Table for Project-Evaluation/ Viva-Voce
MG University Results
Results of end semester examinations for various university courses are declared on the official university website semester wise. The university follows odd/ even semester pattern for all its courses. Final examinations are conducted in the months of December and June for odd and even semesters respectively. Results are uploaded on the university website within a month of end semester examinations.
Candidates can view their result from the “Exam results” link located under the examination section on the official university website. Student can check their result from the website by following the below given steps:
- Students should log on to the official MG university website and hover their cursor over the “Examination” link
- Select the “Exam Result” and click on the respective result link such as “Professional Courses” and “Revaluation Results”
- On the next page, student should click on the particular semester link for which he/she needs to check the result. Foe eg. – “BTech (2015 Admissions) -II Semester Degree Supplementary June 2016 (Register No. wise)”
- Next, the candidate should enter his/her PRN number and click on submit button. Upon submitting the same, candidate’s result will be displayed on the screen
- Candidate can take a print out of their result for future reference
About the College
Mahatma Gandhi University established by virtue of the Mahatma Gandhi University Act, 1985, the University is committed towards establishing a total quality education phenomenon in the development of Higher Education spanning across Kottayam, Ernakulam, Idukki, Kuttanad, Kozhencherry, Mallapally, Thiruvilla and Rani Taluks
- Mahatma Gandhi University, MGU came into force on 2nd of October, 1983. The headquarters of the University is at Kottayam in Kerala. The wide span of accessibility towards the major rail and road connect proves it a haven of comfort, convenience and flexibility for travel
- The University is one of its kinds in imparting quailty education through formal means and medium. The scope and coverage of education is well accomplished among many prominent students has been a milestone venture
- In order to provide an impetus towards recreation, there is flexibility and meaningful diversification of various resources for investing funds in valuable activities
- The University boasts of splendid resources and funds for financing student’s advisory bureau, employment bureau, University Union, Clubs for holding athletic events, the National Cadet Corps and several students’ cultural and debating societies
- Governor of Kerala shall be the chancellor of the University and shall have powers conferred on him/her from the Act or the various Statutes
- The authorities of the University include the Senate, Syndicate, Academic Council, Faculties, Board of Studies, Student’s council, Finance Committee and the Planning Board respectively
- In order to communicate and correspond effectively, MGU, Kerala is well equipped with a number of committees and Boards
- The authorities, constitution and powers of the University are declared by the various statutes and authorities. They are well built in accordance with the well laid principles, following the highest standards of ethical standards
- The inter-disciplinary teaching and research in various areas of pure and applied sciences and humanities in the learner oriented approaches are an ideal replica of innovative learning and teaching strategies
- The University has an international reputation of collaborating with prominent Universities in many countries. They include Max Planck Institute of Technology in Germany, Brown University in USA, University of Nantes in France, University of Toronto in Canada and other prominent Universities and Institutes
- The University has collaboration with prominent national agencies and institutions such as the UGC, ISRO, DAAD, COSIT and other prominent institutions
MGU Library consists of 30 libraries and located in a sprawling campus just about 14 kms away from Kottayam, the University has wide collection of books, periodicals, magazines and journals provide infrastructure to facilitate access to growth factor. The University library is a member of the INFLIBNET Centre, and fully automated system using the library software package SOUL developed by the INFLIBNET Centre.
The University has been ranked 28 by India Today Survey. The academic curriculum of the University is a perfect blend of comprehensiveness and quality. Through years of persistence and perseverance, the only endeavor of the University is to explore the latent talent hidden among the fraternity of intellectuals.
MGU provides following scholarships to students:
Name of Scholarships
Rs. 400/- p.m
- Sports Scholarships-Sports Scholarships are given to outstanding sports participants in the following order: Rs. 4000 each to the First 50,Rs. 1500 each to the next 100. Apart from this, 1st, 2nd and 3rd place holders in All India Inter University tournaments will get Rs. 750, 500 and 300 respectively
- Prof. P.C. Menon endowment scholarships-Awarded to 1st rank holder in the second year with History as one of the optionals and 1st rank holder in M.A. History (Final) examination