Sophia College, founded in 1941, is affiliated to the University of Mumbai. The Governing Body of the Society for the Higher Education of Women in India runs the College. The Religious Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and lay staff form the staff of the College.
- The Society of the Sacred Heart was founded in France in 1800, by St. Madeleine Sophie Barat. It is dedicated mainly to the all-round education of youth
- The main building, which is a heritage structure, has been enlarged over the years to accommodate lecture halls, library and an audio-visual room
- A green oasis in the heart of a congested metropolis, the College has well-designed, airy buildings set around a beautiful central lawn, a terraced garden and a herbal garden
- The main goal of Sophia is the relentless search for wisdom, through an education that is holistic and transformative
- They offer students scope for critical thinking and discernment, leading to the development of value-based convictions
- They help students develop a degree of self-reliance and determination to respond with courage and sensitivity to personal and social issues
- They encourage Christian students to develop their religious convictions in an atmosphere of respect for other faiths and for each individual's personal beliefs
An extensive range of co-curricular activities offers each student the possibility of developing her own special gifts and interests. Some of the clubs are:-
- The Sophia College English Dramatics Association (SCEDA)
- The English Literary Society
- International Relations Club
- Sophia Sports Association
- The Nature Club
- Association of Christian Students
- Western Music Club
- The Bharatiya Sanskritik Parishad
- Sigma Sophia
- Elocution and Debating Society
- The Film Club
- ARTS ‘N CRAFTS
Sophia Centre for Women’s Studies & Development (SCWSD): To foster academic research, teaching, advocacy, and community partnerships in support of women’s empowerment and to help end gender discrimination
- Large collection of books (fiction and non-fiction), journals (both national and international), biographies, encyclopedias, dictionaries, art books and maps
- Audio-visual materials, such as CD-ROMs, DVDs, slides and filmstrips, are also available
Computer Centre is well equipped with 93 computers, 4 printers, 2 scanners and DVD writers in all the computers
- ANANYA is a unique intercollegiate festival, which focuses more on academic and socially relevant themes
- Kaleidoscope: The annual inter-collegiate youth festival organized by the students is today one of the most popular youth festivals of the city. The eagerly awaited mega annual youth festival, attracts more than 10000 students from colleges in and out of Mumbai.
- The Suryalata Doshi Scholarship to the student passing the F.Y.B.A. examination with the highest marks.
- The Margaret Menezes Scholarship to a T.Y.B.A. Goan student.
- The Mafatlal Scholarship to the student who comes first in the T.Y.B.A. College examinations in the Economics and Sociology groups (alternately each year).
- The SCEDA Scholarship to the student who comes first in the T.Y.B.A. College examinations in the English and Hindi groups (alternately each year).
- The B.S.P. Scholarship to the student who comes first in the S.Y.B.A. College examinations in the Applied Component group.
- The Resident Students' Scholarship to a deserving resident student of any class.
- The Gujarati Mandal Scholarship to a deserving student of any class.
- The Mirza Ghalib Scholarship to be divided between two Urdu- speaking students.
- The Times of India Femina Scholarship to the student who comes first in the T.Y.B.A. College examinations in the History and Philosophy groups.