Tihu College was founded in 1963 in the Nalbari district of Assam, as a co-educational institution of higher studies. Duly recognized by the UGC, the college is affiliated to Gauhati University and graded B+ by NAAC.
Tihu College offers programs in the intermediate, and undergraduate levels. AY 2017 – 18 onwards, the college has also started offering regular PG programs in Education and History under the Gauhati University.
In view of the current demand for career-oriented programs, Tihu College has started offering BCA and PGDCA programs at its campus. The college has implemented the Choice-Based Credit System in the UG level of studies. Admission to Tihu College is based on academic merit.
Tihu College Highlights
Some basic facts about Tihu College are tabulated below:
|Established | College Type||1963 | Public|
|Affiliated University||Gauhati University|
|Courses Offered||Intermediate, UG, and PG|
|Facilities Available||Library, Hostel, Auditorium, Gymnasium, Canteen|
Tihu College Courses
Tihu College is an accredited institution of higher studies offering programs ranging from the Intermediate level to the Postgraduate level. The table below presents the different programs that students can pursue at Tihu College.
|Intermediate||Compulsory Subjects: English, Assamese/ Alternative English, Environmental Education Arts Electives: Economics, Education, Geography, Political Science, History, Mathematics, Logic & Philosophy, Sanskrit, Computer Science & Application, Advanced Assamese, Swadesh Adhyayan Science Electives: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Computer Science & Application
Duration: 2 years
Eligibility: Qualified Class 10th or equivalent + Merit
|B. Sc. (Hons./ Regular)||Hons. Specializations: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Botany, Zoology, Geography
Regular Subjects: Chemistry, Physics, Zoology, Botany/ Mathematics/ Geography
Duration: 3 years/ 6 semesters
Eligibility: Passed in 10+2 or equivalent with a minimum 55% in aggregate
|B. Com. (Hons./ Regular)||Hons. Specializations: Accountancy, Management
Regular Subjects: Financial Accounting, Business Organization & Management
Duration: 3 years/ 6 semesters
Eligibility: Passed in 10+2 or equivalent
|B.A. (Hons./ Regular)||Hons. Specializations: Assamese, English, Economics, Education, Geography, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Mathematics
Regular Subjects: Education/ Political Science, History/ Mathematics, Economics/ Philosophy, Geography/ Sanskrit/ Assamese
Duration: 3 years/ 6 semesters
Eligibility: Passed in 10+2 or equivalent with a minimum of 40% in aggregate + Merit
|BCA||Duration: 3 years/ 6 semesters
Eligibility: Qualified 10+2 with Mathematics as a subject + Merit
|PGDCA||Specializations: Food Processing
Duration: 1 year/ 2 semesters
Eligibility: Graduation in any discipline + Merit
|PG||MA Specializations: Education, History
Duration: 2 years/ 4 semesters
Eligibility: Graduation in relevant Stream with a minimum 2nd class + PG Entrance Exam
Tihu College Admissions
Admission to all Intermediate and Undergraduate programs at Tihu College is on the basis of academic merit. Post-Graduate admission is based on performance in the PG Entrance Test conducted by individual departments.
How to Apply?
- The Tihu College application process is online through the official website.
- Candidates need to register on the website with a valid mobile number.
- Post-registration, applicants can access the application form by logging in with their mobile number and password.
- Applicants are required to complete the online form and submit the application fee of INR 250 through the e-payment gateway.
- Upon payment of the application fee, receipt of the same will be auto-generated. Applicants need to obtain two copies of the receipt and of the filled-in application form to be submitted along with supporting documents at the College within the submission deadline.
Documents required are:
- Mark sheet of the last qualifying examination
- Proof of Date of Birth
- Character Certificate from the Head of the Institution last attended
- Caste Certificate/ Gap Certificate/ other relevant Certificate (if applicable)
- Income Certificate (if applicable)
- One recent stamp-size photograph
- Reservation of seats for SC/ ST/ OBC/ MOBC/ Physically Challenged candidates is as per Govt. regulations.
- In case of exceeding students’ demand, for particular Honors subjects, the concerned department may decide to screen applicants through an entrance test.
- Application Form for BCA/ PGDCA is issued from the College Office only. Admission to these two courses is twice a year, in June and December.
Read More: Tihu College Admissions
Tihu College: Scholarships
An array of scholarship options is available for deserving students of Tihu College.
Merit-based scholarship schemes:
- National Merit Scholarship
- Ishan Uday Scholarship
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan Scholarships
- SC/ ST/ OBC/ MOBC Scholarships
- Minority Scholarships
- Satram Jindal Scholarships
Merit-cum-Need based Scholarship schemes:
- UGC Stipends: On Merit-cum-need basis for SC/ ST/ OBC/ Minority/ Physically Challenged/ EWC candidates.
- Students’ Mutual Aid Fund: Merit-cum-Need based financial aid for students who have scored at least 60% in the last examination and not a recipient of any scholarships
Note: Admission Fee is waived off for deserving 1st-year students of Intermediate/ UG programs, subject to their parental income being less than INR 2 LPA, and none of the parents being in the employment of State/ Central Govt. agencies. Concerned students must be able to produce a valid income certificate and a declaration in support of such a claim.
Tihu College Facilities
Tihu College campus stretches across 7.814 acres in Tihu town of Assam. The college provides all the basic infrastructural facilities required for holistic learning and overall development of the students.
Classrooms: A few of the classrooms have audio-visual aids to facilitate the teaching-learning process.
Library: Partially Automated Library with 37806 books, and subscription to 43 journals/ magazines/ periodicals. A book bank comprising of about 5000 essential books for financially disadvantaged students.
Laboratories: Adequate Lab facilities for the different Sciences, Computer Science, and Geography departments.
Gymnasium: A well-equipped gym for students keen on physical fitness.
Sports Facilities: Separate Courts for Badminton, Basketball, and Volleyball apart from ample open playgrounds.
Auditorium: Auditorium/ Seminar complex with the capacity to seat 450 persons, for hosting college events, workshops, symposiums, etc.
Hostel: Furnished campus accommodation for girl students available. Hostel for boys is under construction.
Other Facilities: Internet and Wi-Fi Facility, Canteen, Health Centre, Power backup
Tihu College Faculty
The faculty statistics of Tihu College is presented below:
16 of the permanent faculty members hold a Ph.D. while 10 have an M.Phil. to their name. The rest of the faculty hold a postgraduate degree.
Ques. Does Tihu College offer any distance learning program?
Ans. Tihu College, as an affiliated institution under the Gauhati University, offers several UG and PG programs under the University’s Institute of Distance and Open Learning (IDOL). Students can pursue the following conventional as well as career-oriented programs in the distance learning mode:
|Level of Studies||Programs|
|UG||BCA (with/ without Mathematics)|
|PG||MA (Assamese, English, Economics, Education, History, Political Science, Philosophy, Sanskrit, Mathematics)|
|Master in Communication & Journalism (MCJ)|
|PG Diploma||Sales and Marketing Management (PGDSMM)|
|Human Resource Management (PGDHRM)|
|Business Management (PGDBM)|
|Journalism & Mass Communication (PGDJMC)|
|Financial Management (PGDFM)|
|Banking & Financial Services (PGDBFM)|
|Insurance Management (PGDIM)|
|Computer Application (PGDCA)|
Ques. What is the process of Hostel Admission at Tihu College? What are the Hostel charges?
Ans. Students seeking campus accommodation must apply separately on a form issued by the College office. Admission will be granted only after an interview with the candidate, her parents, and/or local guardian. Hostel admission is granted for one academic session and an application for readmission has to be made at the start of every academic year. Hostel Fees is a consolidated INR 10000, exclusive of mess charges.
Ques. What is the evaluation process at Tihu College?
Ans. Evaluation at Tihu College is split into Internal Assessment and Term-end Examination with weightage distributed as 20% and 80% respectively. Intermediate students have to take a Unit Test and an annual Examination while Degree students have to appear for a sessional exam every semester. It is mandatory for undergraduate students to appear for internal assessments.
Ques. Is attendance compulsory at Tihu College?
Ans. Attendance in class is compulsory for all regular students. Failure to register 75% attendance in each subject will forfeit the concerned students of scholarship benefits and also debar them from appearing in the final examination.
Ques. What is the annual intake capacity at Tihu College?
Ans. The Annual intake capacity at Tihu college can be tabulated thus:Evening
|Level of Studies||Discipline||Day|
- The college allows only 30 students per class per semester in BA/ B.Com. programs, and 25 students in case of B. Sc. programs
- In the case of intermediate electives, a maximum number of 180 students can be enrolled in a particular subject.