Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee University, Ranchi (formerly known as Ranchi college) was established in 1946 as a college and upgraded to a university in 2017. DSPMU offers around 39 courses spread across different streams like Humanities, Science, and Social Science. Apart from this, the university also offers various Certificate, Diploma and Vocational Courses along with Doctoral Degrees. Admission to Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses is based on the merit list prepared on the basis of marks obtained in the concerned subjects at Intermediate or Honors level respectively. Admission to Vocational/ Self-finance courses is on the basis of the Entrance exam conducted by the concerned department. It is mandatory for the candidate to appear for the Entrance Test in order to apply for such courses.
With regard to the placements, the university has been successful in maintaining high placement statistics over the years. Some companies that visit the campus for recruitment are Wipro, TCS, Tech Mahindra, Infosys, etc.
Shyama Prasad Mukherjee University Highlights
|Established | Institute type||1946 | Government|
|Courses Offered||B.A. (Hons.), B.Sc. (Hons), M.A., M.Sc., Ph.D., Vocational, and Diploma|
|Admission Criteria||Merit and Entrance Test (for Vocational courses)|
|Top Recruiters||TCS, Bharti Airtel, Lupin, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, etc.|
|Facilities Available||E-Library, Hostels, Canteen, Medical Clinic, Health Club, Wi-Fi Campus, Bank, and Guest House.|
|Official Website||http://www.dspmuranchi.ac.in/default.aspx | 0651- 2233803|
Shyama Prasad Mukherjee University Courses
The university offers 39 courses in domains such as Humanities, Science, and Social Science. These courses include Under-graduate as well as Post-graduate courses. Apart from these traditional courses, the university also offers Vocational and Diploma courses. This section will give detailed information of the same:
|B.Sc. (vocational course)||
|BBA (Vocational Course)||
|B.Ed. (Vocational Course)||
|LL.M. (Vocational Course)||
|MBA (Vocational Course)||
|Add-on/ Part-time optional Certificate courses (for external students as well as those pursuing graduation in the university)||
Shyama Prasad Mukherjee University Admission
DSPMU admits students on the basis of merits and entrance exam scores obtained in the relevant qualifying exam. The applicants are required to apply online through the official website.
How to apply?
- Application forms are available online. Candidates can visit the official website and apply for admission in any relevant course.
- If candidates wish to apply in more than one course, separate forms should be filled for each course.
- Application forms should be submitted before the said deadlines. Forms submitted after the deadline will not be entertained.
- Candidates admitted provisionally or otherwise to any program shall submit copies of their mark sheets, provisional certificates, etc of the qualifying examinations and other documents by the last date specified by the Universities.
Shyama Prasad Mukherjee University Placements
The University has a placement cell which plays a major role in locating job opportunities for undergraduate and postgraduate students. The cell operates round the year to facilitate contacts between companies and graduates.
The placement cell also organizes career guidance programs for all the students starting from the first year. The cell arranges training programs like Mock Interviews, Group Discussions, Communication Skills Workshop, etc and it also organizes Public Sector Exam Training for students who are interested to join Government Sectors.
Many recruiters visit the campus such as Byju's, HDFC, Just Dial, TCS, Bharti Airtel, Lupin, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank.
Shyama Prasad Mukherjee University Scholarship
Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee University provides scholarships and funding to all students who belong to the SC/ ST/ OBC category. Provided by the State government, this scholarship is also provided to the students who come from an economically backward background. Students have to apply online on the website https://ekalyan.cgg.gov.in. Scanned copies of the following documents need to be uploaded on the website:
- Income Certificate
- Caste Certificate
- Residential Certificate
- Bonafide Certificate
- Mark sheet of previous exams
- Scan copy of Bank passbook with the account number and IFSC Code on it.
Shyama Prasad Mukherjee University Facilities
- E-Library: The University has an E-library which provides a plethora of books for the students in an online form
- Hostels: The University has separate Boys and Girls hostels in the University for out-station candidates
- Canteen: The University has a canteen which provides healthy and hygienic food for the students at nominal rates
- Medical Clinic: A Medical clinic is present on the campus in case of any medical emergencies
- Health Club: The University has a Health Club for fitness conscious students
- Wi-Fi Campus: The University is fully equipped with Wi-fi connections
- Banking: The campus has a Bank and ATM facilities for the students to help them withdraw and transfer money easily
- Guest House
Shyama Prasad Mukherjee University FAQs
Ques. How are the faculties of the university?
Ans. The faculties at the university are highly qualified. Each department has faculties working at the post of Assistant Professor.
Ques. Does the university provide reservation quota during admission?
Ans. Yes. There is a reservation for students belonging to Jharkhand wherein 85% of the seats are reserved for them in the Faculty of Social Science/ Humanities/ Science. Selection for remaining 15% seats shall be made open for all i.e. Jharkhand as well as other states’ students on the basis of merit. These seats shall also be filled up by students belonging to all Categories. For the students who have domicile of Jharkhand, 40% of the seats shall be made on the basis of open merit irrespective of sex, caste, etc. Rest 60% of the seats are to be filled up exclusively by the students belonging to the reservation category in the following proportion:
- ST- 26%
- SC- 10%
- Extremely Backward class – 8%
- Backward Class – 6%
- Economically weaker section – 10%
A horizontal reservation of 5% shall be given for differently-abled persons. Candidates must furnish relevant documents (caste certificate and medical certificate) issued by the competent authority of Jharkhand State.
Ques. How does the admission take place in the university?
Ans. The admission procedure includes filling up the form available online on the official website. The selection is based on the merit produced by the university on the basis of marks obtained in the relevant subject in the previous institutions. Admission to vocational courses is done through the entrance test conducted by the relevant department. Admission for add-on/ certificate courses is done through an Aptitude Test conducted by the University whereas, for Ph.D., the candidate must have cleared UGC-NET post which the selection is done through an interview.
Ques. Does the college give extra weightage at the time of admission?
Ans. Yes. The college gives extra weightage at the time of admission:
- 10% weightage is given to employees/ wards of employees of the university.
- NCC cadets holding “B” & “C” certificates shall be given weightage of 5% marks.
- NCC cadets holding “A” certificates shall be given a weightage of 3% marks.
- The Scouts and Guides who are the recipient of Rashtrapati Awards are given a weightage of 5% marks.
- Graduated students from the university who would want to pursue their Post graduation in the university are awarded 10% marks in PG admission.
- NSS Volunteers participating in the Republic Day Celebration at the National level are given a weightage of 5% marks.